Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
csf248

Jury Duty?

20 posts in this topic

I recently got in the mail a Jury Duty Questionare, for the united states district court, And on it it States:

This Section describes certain categories of persons who may be excused from service as a juror.........

one of the categories is

"Volunteer Firefighter or Volunteer ambulance crew member and does not wish to serve"

I have never heard of this before!

wow that is interesting I have never heard that before, does anyone else know anything about this

Sounds like a toughie! :P

I have heard of this in the past for District Courts, but when I got called for local jury duty, there was no excuse on there for volunteers.

I suppose there are those out there who couldn't mind being a juror for a prolonged period, but idk, I think I wouldn't mind the whole excuse idea.

Historically, because of their need in the community, certain groups such as police and doctors were exempt from service. However, in 1995 the law was changed to eliminate all occupational exemptions. The purpose of the new law is to broaden the jury pool among a wider range of citizens. Now, only volunteer firefighters and members of volunteer rescue or first aid squads may be excused from service. Others do not serve because they are not qualified to serve as jurors.
Edited by xfirefighter484x

I just got called for jury duty too...

while it'd be fun n' all.. not sure if I can lose the time from work/everything else in life.

be interesting to see if the vf or ems thing works.

Could this mean the return of the EXEMPT Status volunteers had back in the 1800's and early 1900's?

Jury duty exemptions for "exempt" volunteer firefighters is nothing new. When I received my exeption papers (early 1990's) vf's were still exempt from jury duty on a local level. It is my understanding that vf's are no longer exempt on a local level.

I didn't think vf's were ever exempt on a federal level.

I also received a jury summons in the mail recently. Too bad it's for the county courthouse and not a federal one. Do the NY state courts still have occupational exemptions?

I also received a jury summons in the mail recently. Too bad it's for the county courthouse and not a federal one. Do the NY state courts still have occupational exemptions?

At the NYS level, there are NO exemptions, even police officers, and yes judges may be called for jury duty. You can defer, I think, for up to six months. That does not mean you will be picked to serve on a jury. As for the Federal level, yes, I believe that volunteers are still exempt(not totally sure though, Its been a while since I got one of those)

Edited by grumpyff

FYI: I served on federal jury duty several years back in lower NYC, Foley Square.

I asked why I could not serve in White Plains at the new federal courthouse and the reason is that they only have four judges and fewer cases along with giving preference to those jurors living upstate to avoid forcing them into a long journey to lower NYC.

The federal court district extends way, way upstate.

My Wife got a summons to jury duty recently as well. You can also be exempted for hardship - ie....student, caregiver to child under certain age, etc....I haven't read it but will give further when I do....

Federal is very leniant. Volly's are exempt, and it covers you for a few years not sure how many though. Students away at school get sent to the bottom of the next list. State is whole different story. No matter who you are or what you do, you are allowed to defer for a few months and are then required to take whatever date they have available. All though when you defer you are able to subit a time span that you are available.

The Southern District of New York encompasses the following counties: New York (Manhattan), Bronx, Westchester, Putnam, Rockland, Orange, Dutchess and Sullivan. This entire district is covered by the Courthouses in White Plains and Manhattan (Foley Square). The majority of the cases are heard in Manhattan.

In addition, the Jury Act lists three groups that are exempt from federal jury service:

members of the armed forces on active duty;

members of professional fire and police departments; and

"public officers" of federal, state or local governments, who are actively engaged in the performance of public duties.

Persons belonging to these groups may not serve on federal juries, even if they so desire.

Disclaimer: before anyone has a fit, the term professional is their word, not mine.

Edited by 23piraf

what about armed forces, i am a coast guard reservist. so how does that play into jury duty.

Disclaimer: before anyone has a fit, the term professional is their word, not mine.

I agree with you calling "professional" their word. Do you know if that means Career and/or Volunteer?

Only those on active duty, so once you, as a reservist, are activated and deployed you are exempt.

As a volunteer, I was exempted when I was called up for federal Jury duty in 2002

I've just been summoned for jury duty...anyway I can get out of if now?

did you get summoned or get the 'survey' to fill out?

You can get out of it, when you get excused or the case is over lol.

I have never tried to use my firefighting status career or volunteer to be relieved. Even when I was in law enforcement I never said anything until I was asked. Why? Because just as voting to me is a important right that people all over the world die for, having the ability to be tried by a jury of your peers to me is critical and a important right of our soceity. When the jury duty laws changed years ago, I was a volunteer and had many friends and colleagues whom were upset by the changes, but to me it comes down to the fact that the foundation of it all is the "right of a trial by jury of your peers." And if that person is a firefighter then only we will have insight to things that may be pertinent in a case. Not to mention the fact that no one held a gun to our heads to be what we are and no one in this world owes us anything.