Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Riding On Back Step OK During Parades?

45 posts in this topic

OK my 2 cents

If you want to ride the back step of a privately owned engine or it is allowed for parades, santa runs, or the dept / district allows it then ride(not meaning to calls).

If you feel that it is a risk yourself then don't.

You make choices you have to live with them, it's not going to change no matter what is said here or until something happens (did happen) with a front line piece and the dept / district says no more.  As for antiques, it's in the hands of the owner if someone gets hurt.

[/quote

about riding the back step i agree with everybody on this , and i own a rig and my insurance does not even allow any body riding on back step or hose bed has to be in the cab or jumpseats or any body but me driving it , those days are long gone i remeber riding on the back step going to calls and putting on turn out gear at the same time now when you think about it that was not very smart

Edited by maximbull

I'm sure that the departments' insurance companies would simply LOVE to know all the shenanigans going on--unsafe practices, alcohol, and apparently, etc., etc. etc.

When our department drives a few rigs in the 4th of July Parade, they are always ready for duty, riding inside the rigs. Last year, we had a thunderstorm pop up with viscious lightning and straignt line winds. It didn't last long, but what do you know--the closest rigs to two houses that were damaged, one hit by lightning and ignited and one with a tree lying in the second story, were less than one block away from the parade route. They simply turned off and went to the scene.

If the parade is in your town, your firefighters need to be ready to go...sober and safe.

Not to stir it up but...how about riding the back step in a funeral procession? This is done many times.......

garbage men ride the back of their trucks everyday, when was the last time you heard of an accident?

garbage men ride the back of their trucks everyday, when was the last time you heard of an accident?

All it takes is once to throw everyone into a frenzy. Sitting here and trying to look back on past instances, is more retroactive than proactive.

Why take the risk? Sure it was fine yesterday. I am sure some departmenst still do it today, but why continue such a dangerous trend, when the risk can be avoided althogether?

Riding on the back step has gone by the way of open cabs, and open cab jumpseats. If not, it should be.

Just my two cents.

Last July 20th, in Ossining, a 24 year old village sanitation worker named John-Paul Rodrigues fell off the back step of a garbage struck, struck his head, and died. As a result of this, there are many new safety iniatives being looked into for sanitation workers, including helmets, harnesses, rear cameras, etc being advoacted by his parents, and a bill is even in front of the NYS assembly for safety regultions. And it wasn't the first time that has happened either. NIOSH has very strict standards for riding the rear step of refuse trucks, and doesn't even reccomend it.

Here's a photo example from a recent parade, from one of many departments using the fire apparatus cabs, hosebeds running boards etc as a shuttle for anyone that needed it. This, and many other, apparatus was traveling over 10mph for distances over a mile.

post-2-1152396785.jpg

Why worry about FAST teams, presenting yourself and your department professionally in the public eye, etc when it's all going to go out the window during a parade anyways????

Edited by x635

That picture speaks volumes.

I really do not and can not understand why some of you insist on arguing that it's no big deal, or not as big a danger as it really is. Either you're playing devil's advocate because you're bored, you're a dinosaur who hopefully is not and will never be an officer or decision maker, or you're just plain ignorant or reckless. Whatever the case might be, you really ought to reevaluate your position on the matter.

And to the younger members reading this thread, please realize that there were very valid reasons that riding on the outside of apparatus was regulated against. People actually got seriously injured and killed from doing it. It wasn't just some meaningless NFPA, OSHA or insurance company decision, it was based on case histories. Same reason apparatus cabs have to be enclosed. Don't fall into the trap of the "happy go lucky" member of your dept that tells you to "lighten up and have some fun!" and tries to coax you into riding like the yahoos in the picture above.

Last July 20th, in Ossining, a 24 year old village sanitation worker named John-Paul Rodrigues fell off the back step of a garbage struck, struck his head, and died.  As a result of this, there are many new safety iniatives being looked into for sanitation workers, including helmets, harnesses, rear cameras, etc being advoacted by his parents, and a bill is even in front of the NYS assembly for safety regultions. And it wasn't the first time that has happened either.  NIOSH has very strict standards for riding the rear step of refuse trucks, and doesn't even reccomend it.

Here's a photo example from a recent parade, from one of many departments using the fire apparatus cabs, hosebeds running boards etc as a shuttle for anyone that needed it. This, and many other, apparatus was traveling over 10mph for distances over a mile.

post-2-1152396785.jpg

Why worry about FAST teams, presenting yourself and your department professionally in the public eye, etc when it's all going to go out the window during a parade anyways????

I work with two of John-Paul Rodrigues' cousins, and both say the family is still having a hard time with the loss, even now. We often see sanitation workers in the city (private carting companies) doing the same thing, and my co workers are amazed that this nonsense continues. It is too easy to slip and fall or be bounced off the apparatus, let alone get rear ended by another driver who is distracted, or doesn't see the truck stop quickly. I rode the 'back step' a few times, and I was never comfortable doing it. Like Res6cue stated "It wasn't just some meaningless NFPA, OSHA or insurance company decision, it was based on case histories" These decisions were based on blood spilled by our brothers/fathers...Dont make the same mistakes..learn from what happened.

Edited by grumpyff

garbage men ride the back of their trucks everyday, when was the last time you heard of an accident

Me, RatBoy, and Tommy Sal (God Bless Him) did a garbage truck worker that fell off the back and got run over - lost his leg, dang near his life on North Broadway a few years back........

Edited by Ole129K

no comment.

I'll admit that I too have been foolish and rode in the hosebed and/or backstep a few times too. And now that I think about it, in every case it was because the Chief(s) at the time approved it for some stupid reason or another.

Someone mention keeping in service during hometown parades. Here's something that will make you laugh. While I was Captain (I won't say which year) I told the guys riding the Engine to bring thier gear with them so if there is a call we are prepared. Well, I guess I had a crystal ball this day, because we got banged out for a wreck not too long after getting to line-up. The Chief sent us and EMS but held the Rescue back so they could continue shuttling people. Anyway, we were on scene at this wreck and the Chief came to me and said to pack up, we were letting another company handle the call so we could get back to the parade in time. What's more important?

I'm sorry if this sounds like a "personal matter," but I know of other stories JUST LIKE THIS and am trying to make the point that parade or not, we have to do things the right way all the time. Riding the step is not something that we should do - ever. Why preach safety if we ignore it parade day? In town - stay available. Out of town - don't respond back. Again, we made that mistake because of a Chief decision and we looked like @$$holes for doing it. If the rig is that vital to town - don't take it out.

Be safe...rant out.

i think it's illegal to have anyone ride behind on the back step of any fire truck.

great picture that was the sight i saw when driving my departments engine in the parade being that exact rig was infront of me going to line up and i was stayin back worried one of those idiots were going to fall off and i would have to stop or avoid them its just stupid haven't we lost enuff firefighters this way in the past and chiefs and officers need to step up and put a end to this and i am sure the chief or some officer from the dept pictured is on this site and i am sure u know you men so lets do something about it this laws are designed to protect people and lives follow them....

I hope this goes to help quell some of the rumors, and questions about this issue.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/fire/reports/face9819.html']After loading the 1½-inch handline onto the hose bed, the victim was standing on the tailboard holding down the hose as the engine backed up in preparation for turning around. As the engine neared the utility pole, the victim tried to warn the driver/operator about the utility pole and apparently slipped off the tailboard. His right leg was crushed between the tailboard and the utility pole and was traumatically amputated at the knee. The victim was treated at the scene and went into cardiac arrest. Resuscitation efforts were begun and the victim was transported to the local hospital by ambulance. Resuscitation efforts were continued at the hospital where he was later pronounced dead. NIOSH investigators concluded that, to minimize the chances of similar occurrences, fire departments should:

*ensure that fire fighters are trained in the dangers of riding on the back step of fire apparatus

*ensure that standard operating procedures are developed that address apparatus safety

*ensure that driver/operators are trained in an approved driver training program

*ensure that fire apparatus is equipped with a back-up alarm.

http://www.iaff.org/media/021506health.pdf']Once the fire fighting operations were completed, as this engine company left the scene, it needed to back out a side street onto another street.

Following departmental procedure, the female fire fighter took a position on the tailboard, or back step, of the apparatus near a buzzer used to signal the apparatus driver. The company officer was on the ground behind the apparatus in view of the driver’s rear view mirror. After receiving the standard signal from the tailboard fire fighter, the driver began to back up at an estimated speed of 2.5 miles per hour.

The company officer turned away to control traffic as the apparatus neared the intersection, but when he redirected his attention to the engine, the tailboard fire fighter was no longer visible. Running towards the apparatus, he saw the fire fighter on the ground. She had been run over and was pronounced dead at the hospital 12 minutes later.

The practice of riding on the outside of a moving fire apparatus is forbidden by NFPA 1500.

Not the only forum to discuss this issue (Check out the date too)

http://forums.firehouse.com/showthread.php?t=15232