Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

FDNY Rescue 1 Members Struck

23 posts in this topic

Two Firefighters in Hospital After Crash

Two firefighters from Rescue 1 are in serious condition Thursday morning after a taxi slammed into their truck on the Upper West Side.

The crash pinned one firefighter between the taxi and the fire truck. The other firefighter was thrown to the sidewalk.

Officials said the rescue truck was double parked on West 71st Street at about 10:30 p.m. when the accident happened.

The injured firefighters are identified as John Walters, 37, and Mike Schunk, 41.

The cab driver sustained minor facial injuries.

Photo by 1010 WINS reporter Steve Kastenbaum.

News Story with Picture

I am retracting my comment - it was indeed in poor taste and should be in the forum that it is directly related to.

My appologies to all that mistook it.

Edited by Ex-2114

Spoke to one of my colleagues earlier. FF Schunk has a rod in his leg and should be out of the hospital in a few days.

FF Walters is going through surgery. He's got a long road ahead of him.

Say your prayers and watch yourselves out there.

(quote)It's a good thing they weren't on the hosebed or back step, don't ya think?? (quote)

I'm not quite sure what to say to this.

Looking at the picture of the Taxi, these guys are lucky!!. Broken bones are repairable.

Hope they have speedy recovery..

lol it was rescue 1 they dont have a hose bed.

I think the hosebed comment was a poorly timed attempt of humor regarding another thread (just my opinion). However, this is a somber realitization what can happen non-emergency mode.

A quick recovery to those involved.

Spoke to one of my colleagues earlier. FF Schunk has a rod in his leg and should be out of the hospital in a few days.

FF Walters is going through surgery. He's got a long road ahead of him.

Say your prayers and watch yourselves out there.

(quote)It's a good thing they weren't on the hosebed or back step, don't ya think?? (quote)

I'm not quite sure what to say to this.

We had 2 brothers struck by a cab while they had traffic stopped so the apparatus could back into quarters. He went around stopped cars cus he just had to get his fare to the train station. both are off the job and one has had numerous operations. Bad enough we have to deal with the "normal " hazards of the job, getting hit by a drunk or speeder is becoming way to common.

MY PRAYERS TO THE BROTHERS FOR A COMPLETE RECOVERY

Another bad blow to the FDNY! I wish a speedy recovery to the FF's involved! As someone else had mentioned, by looking at the damage to the cab, this could have been a much worse situation.

I hope the boys in blue reamed the cab driver good and wrote him as many summonses as possible!

Again, may FF Schunk & FF Walters have a speedy recovery and soon be back to RES1CUE!

July 21, 2006

Manhattan: Firefighters Remain Hospitalized

By KAREEM FAHIM

The New York Times

Two firefighters who were badly hurt when a taxicab smashed into them on Wednesday night remained hospitalized yesterday after undergoing surgery for leg injuries, fire officials said.

Firefighter John Walters, 37, of Port Washington, N.Y., suffered severe fractures to both legs that required nearly 12 hours of surgery, officials said.

The other firefighter, Michael Schunk, 41, of Long Beach, N.Y., was in stable condition at NewYork-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell hospital with a fractured right leg, the Fire Department said in a statement.

The fire truck’s crew had stopped for food on the Upper West Side when the taxi switched lanes to pass another car and slammed into the two firefighters, crushing them against the back of the fire truck, which was double-parked, the police said.

The cabdriver was not charged, the authorities said, adding that he and a male passenger were slightly injured, the police said.

Everyone who saw the crash said that the cabbie was speeding to try and pass another car. They say he didn't even hit the brakes. But yet and I qoute, "The cabdriver was not charged". What's wrong with this picture??

Freaking cabbies...I can't stand them.

Best wishes to the brothers involved for a speedy recovery.

Whoever's a regular pedestrian in Manhattan knows how dangerous and careless the cabbies can be. Just another thing that makes the job tougher.

Best wishes for speedy recovery. Just a reminder to always be aware what is going on around you...because someone else is probably not paying attention. How can you miss a truck the size of Rescue 1?

Edited by grumpyff

All the brothers (and sisters) are pulling for these guys. Let this be a lesson to all of us.

You never know, everyone watch out and pray these guys have a speedy and the fullest recovery possible!

good luck FF Schunk & FF Walters and i hope their surgerys and such go as planned

Prayers for a speedy recovery...

hope the best for them and for a full recovery.the fdny cant seem to catch a break

best of luck to John Walters, Mike Schunk, and their families

It's such a grim reminder that we have to add things to the list of what's hurting us on the job. Best wishes for a speedy recovery for our FDNY brothers.

I wish a SPEEDY RECOVERY to our Brother Firefighters at FDNY RES1CUE.

thoughts and prayers to the brothers and their families

For those who haven't read this yet...

July 25, 2006 -- Doctors amputated the right leg of an elite firefighter who was badly hurt when an out-of-control taxi cab pinned him against a firetruck on the Upper West Side last week, sources said yesterday. John Walters, 37, of Rescue 1, had his legs crushed in last Wednesday's tragic accident, which also injured firefighter buddy Mike Schunk.

A team of doctors at Bellevue Hospital worked nearly 12 hours to stabilize the more seriously injured Walters.

The firefighters, who had stopped to buy dinner, were walking behind their rig, double-parked at 71st Street and Columbus Avenue, at around 10:30 p.m. when they were hit.

Cabby Mohammed Ali Kharmis told cops he was cut off by another car and forced into the lane where the firetruck was parked. Kharmis was not charged.

Schunk was in stable condition at New York Hospital

Freakin shame!

I didn't know Walters but Schunk was in my Educational Methodology class in FLIPS at Fort Totten. Hope they both get better soon.