Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
antiquefirelt

Rescue Pumpers

24 posts in this topic

Our department is writing specs for our new Rescue Pumper. This will be a first for us as we've run separate peices until now, but space and long-term cost of ownership has us consolidating.

I am looking for dept's in the Westchester/Rockland/Orange Co. area as well as southern Ct. that have rescue pumpers that a few of us could come take a look at. For our purposes I'll list some of the musts that ours will have:

1250 or greater pump

650 gal. tank

hydraulic rescue tools system (preconnected tools)

engine and truck Co. hand and power tools

light tower

10K + generator

4-6 man cab

Other factors we're considering: low hose bed wanted, as short as possible, possibly CAFS, as mush compartment space as possible.

Here's a short list of units I gleened from this site:

Pleasantville Rescue 47

Washingtonville 583

West Harrison Rescue 35

New Rochelle Squad 22

Yonkers Squad 11

Goshen E-931

Orange Lake 329

Thornwood R75

Spring Valley Rescue 17

Nanuet ?

Anyone else have such an animal? We're looking to make a trip in late September.

Thanks

Edited by antiquefirelt

Lately that seems to be the trend, I personally like the idea of a rescue pumper. It carries 6 guys, water and tools. It helps with the manpower situations that volunteer companies are running into and gets the "engine" and "Rescue" to the scene in one shot. Good move on in my opinion.

Our department is writing specs for our new Rescue Pumper. This will be a first for us as we've run separate peices until now, but space and long-term cost of ownership has us consolidating.

I am looking for dept's in the Westchester/Rockland/Orange Co. area as well as southern Ct. that have rescue pumpers that a few of us could come take a look at. For our purposes I'll list some of the musts that ours will have:

1250 or greater pump

650 gal. tank

light tower

10K + generator

4-6 man cab

Other factors we're considering: low hose bed wanted, as short as possible, possibly CAFS, as mush compartment space as possible.

Pleasantville Rescue 47

Washingtonville 583

West Harrison Rescue 35

New Rochelle Squad 22

Yonkers Squad 11

Goshen E-931

Orange Lake 329

Thornwood R75

Spring Valley Rescue 17

Nanuet ?

Anyone else have such an animal? We're looking to make a trip in late September.

Thanks

We are looking to do the same thing in Elmsford and in addition to looking at the rigs that you mention; we are considering the consultation services of Mike Wilbur and Tom Shand "The Apparatus Architects" from www.firehouse.com.

We attended their session in Baltimore and found it very enlightening.

I hope this helps.

Syd Henry

Elmsford FD

1250 or greater pump

650 gal. tank

light tower

10K + generator

4-6 man cab

Pleasantville Rescue 47

Washingtonville 583

West Harrison Rescue 35

New Rochelle Squad 22

Yonkers Squad 11

Goshen E-931

Orange Lake 329

Thornwood R75

Spring Valley Rescue 17

Nanuet ?

Thanks

My dept (noroton fire dept) runs a rescue pumper its a 2001 marion on a 4+6 man spartan galdiaor cab. it carries 5oo gallons of water a full set of hurst tools scene lights and a generator. it carries hand and power tools. it can start any job. if u want to see it www.norotonfd.org

rescue pumpers seem to be the trend today in most fire departments, I think they are good for departments who want to consolidate their resources. I agree with the post about getting the rescue and engine to the scene in one shot that makes a ton of sense

Here are some rigs in Rockland that are the closest match to what you're looking for:

Haverstraw (General Warren) - 4-EM

user posted image

Hillcrest - 6-1250

user posted image

Nanuet - 8-EQ

user posted image

Sparkill - 16-1000

user posted image

Spring Valley (Rockland Hook & Ladder) - 17-Rescue

user posted image

Some of them are a bit old (like our 1250), but you could probably still get some ideas off them.

In Briarcliff Manor, 92 Engine is a 1995 Pierce Rescue/Pumper The details are as follows and although not all your spec.needs are met, many are similar. If you would like to come see it please just let me know be glad to give you a view. Pics and additional information is available at engine92.com under the apparatus tab...hope this helps..regards Ron

* 8 person Dash chassis

* All aluminum body

* 400 horse power Detroit Diesel 6V92

* Allison 4070 PR 'World' transmission

* Dual agent foam tanks with KK Products proportioner

* 7.5 kw Onan generator

* Electric Hurst Tool motor with 100' hose reel

* 1,250 GPM Waterous single stage pump

* 500 gallon 'Poly' tank

* Over 250 cubic feet of compartment space

* 'On-Spot' chains

* Two 1 3/4" x 200' preconnected crosslays

* One 1 3/4" x 100' preconnected front bumper attack line

* 600' forestry hose

* 1,300' of 5" supply line

if you want to come to Pleasantville let me know and will take you guys out and show you the truck. Also if you need someone to help you with your specs East West Fire can help. They wrote our specs and help Briarcliff with there new rescue pumper. PM me if you want more info. Glad to help, here is the link to hthere web site www.ewfac.com

Edited by Pville2371

We are looking to do the same thing in Elmsford and in addition to looking at the rigs that you mention; we are considering the consultation services of Mike Wilbur and Tom Shand "The Apparatus Architects" from www.firehouse.com.

We attended their session in Baltimore and found it very enlightening.

I hope this helps.

Syd Henry

Elmsford FD

We used Mike and Tom for our tower specs and we've spoken to Mike extensively on this project. I highly recommend their services, we learned alot that we didn't even know we didn't know.

Englewood Cliffs NJ run a well equipped Pierce Lance Rescue Pumper 10 person cab 2000 850/50 with front bumper Centur Combo and a full set of centur tools at the rear all mounted on hanney cord reels Also features top of hose body coffin style storage There is a picture of it on FDNY trucks .com under bergen county

East Franklin Fire Department in Somerset County, NJ runs a nice 2005? ALF squad Check it out on FDNYTRUCKS.com under somerset county or check out there web page at station27.com email them i am pretty sure they will be more than happy to help you.

All Lake Mohegan Engines are rescue pumpers. Loaded with most of what you'd want. And some things you haven't thought of. But the tanks are 500 gal. max., unless I've missed one Cap!

OOPs, that's Lake Mohegan NY, forgot to mention, and the ladders, (3 of them, 55ft, 75ft, and 105ft, I think) Are Quads. Loaded with rescue gear, they are simular to the engines.

Here is the link of our rescue pumper's pdf drawings fromm Smeal.

http://smeal.com/imageuploads/DeliveriesFile149.pdf

Though the unit does not have extrication equipment on it, we do have room if the department ever expands to it (our ambulance / rescue squad takes care of extrication currently) If you have any questions, like shelving, contact me.

A few that came to mind that were'nt mentioned:

Millwood (Westchester) Engine 248 2004 Spartan/Sutphen 1500/750/ Class A&B Tanks

Slater Chemical (Glenham, Dutchess): 2001 ALF/RD Murray 1500/1000

Carmel FD (Putnam): 2005 Pierce Dash 1500/750

Tallman (Rockland): (2) 2006 Pierce Lance Rescue Style Enignes

Spring Valley (Rockland) Spring Valley H&L: 1996 Spartan/Saulsbury Rescue Engine

Congers FD (Rockland): 2002 KME Renegade Rescue Engine 1500/1000

Fishkill (Dutchess) 2003 Spartan/Saulsbury 1500/750/20 Rescue Engine

Rombout (Dutchess) 2006 Sutphen Rescue Engine unknown Facts recently received

New Jersey (Bergen County) just below Rockland

Dumont:2004 Seagrave 2000/750/40

Englewood Cliffs: 2003 Pierce Lance 2000/850/50

Edited by ONLOCATION

Engine 120 Croton - 2003 ALF Rescue/Pumper. It features a 2000 gpm pump & 1000 gallon tank. Carries only Hurst porta-power unit. Should of had more to it, I think cost was a factor. It was considered a rescue/pumper by ALF.

Engine 119 Croton - 2006 Seagrave. It has a 1500 gpm pump, 750 gallon tank, 10KW generator, eight FRC 500W floodlights, 100' electric cord, multiple other items.

Both rigs have "high-side" compartments for added equipment storage. E120 has roll-ups, E119 does not.

I can give you all kinds of detailed info by e-mail, if you'd like.

Another rig I didn't see mentioned was Yorktown's E270.

My suggestion, get those floodlights all around the rig! We did it and it is the best thing we did. Our night ops are no longer a struggle to see what is going on. The tower lights are great, but are a little pricey and add height to your rig.

Edited by Remember585

Buchanan Engine Co. Engine 161 1998 Sutphen Rescue Pumper

We were restricted by our HQ's size so ours is a little short on the wheeelbase and we sacrificed a crew compartment but it specs out as follows

500 gal Water Tank

50 Gal Foam Tank

Amkus tools on both sides work off on-board generator

1250 GPM pump

3-man compartment / larger wheelbase would add 3 man crew cab

3 preconned 1 3/4 handlines @ 200' each

Deck Gun

4 Scot pack and 4 handlight compartment

4 Spare bottle tubes 2 per side

Fully stocked forcible entry compartment

Ladder Rack w/ 24' Extension and 14' Roof ladders and 3 Pike Poles

Front bumper 2 1/2 - 1 3/4 discharge

2- 10' Hard Suction 5" sections

2- Backboards

EMS compartment

Brush Fire equipment

Extinguisher (4) compartment

Cribbing compartment

Chain saw

You get the idea. Come take a look www.buchananfire.org

1250 or greater pump

650 gal. tank

light tower

10K + generator

4-6 man cab

Pleasantville Rescue 47

Washingtonville 583

West Harrison Rescue 35

New Rochelle Squad 22

Yonkers Squad 11

Goshen E-931

Orange Lake 329

Thornwood R75

Spring Valley Rescue 17

Nanuet ?

Thanks

While not considered a Rescue Pumper, our first due Engine 41, here in Belltown is set up mostly the way you described. We only have a 500 Galon Tank, but we have plenty of hydrant coverage in the majority of our district. For Extrication we cary a Holmatro Combi-Tool. We also have several hooks, two saws, and most of what we need to do truck work. It serves us well, but was designed to be able to work that way until the truck or rescue gets there. The Cab is a 6 man Spartan, so when full, the crew could be split to perform multiple functions.

Our department has 2 rescue pumpers, one is our full time rescue and the other is our squad. The squad being our newest is a 2005 KME set up with a light tower, hydraulic generator with cord reel mounted above the rear compartment, 1500 gpm, 500/100 water/foam, full height rescue style compartments on the driver's side and half height compartments on the officer's side so we can carry side mounted ladders and coffin style compartments up top. The truck carries an electric powered Hurst tool and rams, hydraulic hand tools and a full compliment of cribbing. The configuration of the tanks allowed us to have a slightly deeper hose bed but also allowed us to have a good sized rear step compartment. Our rescue is a 1990 Pierce rescue pumper that was recently reconfigured by our members to make it function more as a practical rescue as apposed to an engine with some rescue equipment. The front suction was removed and replace with a car fire line. The LDH was removed and compartments were made in the hose bed to house two Stokes baskets. All new cribbing was made and mounted in its own compartment. We also added air bag compartments under the truck and also updated our rescue tools. The truck has two Hurst rescue tool setups, one electric and one portable gas powered. The truck has a 1500 gpm pump and 500 gallon tank, carries a full compliment of foam, two 1¾” cross-lays, 2¾” pre-connected rear attack line, and a hydraulic ladder rack. Pictures of both Rescue 200 and Squad 209 are on our website; www.longhillfd.com. If I forgot anything, which I am sure I have, I apologize.

Thanks for the help. Lots of good leads and contacts here. We're trying to schedule a trip for mid to late September to take a look at many of these rescue/pumpers. This is a great start. As I said, we pretty much know what we want, but want to hear from those who have and use them what works, what doesn't and "what we should have done was..."

Tallman (Rockland): (2) 2006 Pierce Lance Rescue Style Enignes

Spring Valley (Rockland) Spring Valley H&L: 1996 Spartan/Saulsbury Rescue Engine

Congers FD (Rockland): 2002 KME Renegade Rescue Engine 1500/1000

I didn't mention Tallman because those two trucks are HUGE, and pretty far off from the criteria he laid out. Congers' 1501 I forgot to mention, that's a pretty compact truck and more in line with their needs. Spring Valley's 2000 is more a pumper with a set of Jaws on it than it is a typical rescue-pumper, but it is pretty compact and probably worth looking at.

Tallman 20-2001 and 20-Tanker

user posted image

user posted image

Congers 3-1501

user posted image

Spring Valley 17-2000

user posted image

OK so it looks like 2-3 of us will be travelling to the NY-NJ-PA area the week of Sept. 25th. We have to be in Ephrata, PA for a mid-inspection of the new Tower on Tuesday. Hopefully this Mon I'll have a better handle on what apparatus we are really wanting to see, so we can make some contacts. I know Pleasantville R47 and Thornwood R75 are on the must see list.

Does anyone know if Yonkers Squad 11 or New Rochelle Squad 22 carry "Jaws" type tools?

I strongly suggest that you hire an apparatus consultant to assist you. Especially since this is a new piece of apparatus that you haven't designed before.

We have used East-West Fire Apparatus Consultants for our aerial ladder, and most recently, our tanker. Personally, I have found their guidance well worth the cost. You are going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars. You have one shot to spend it well.

I strongly suggest that you hire an apparatus consultant to assist you.  Especially since this is a new piece of apparatus that you haven't designed before. 

Already done. Mike Wilbur was excellant on our tower and is already assisting greatly with this. We've learned the hard way that we don't buy enough trucks to spec things right the first, second, or third time. Having been part of the spec/purchase committee in both vol. and career depts. I've worked on a handful of specs and learned more from Mike in 2 hrs than I could have imagined. Given what I've seen I'm sure East West is an excellant resource as well and echo the fact that many departments probably could use a consultant.