Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

H.E.L.P. Trucks w/ Red Lights

24 posts in this topic

I've noticed a lot of the H.E.L.P. Trucks with more and more RED LIGHTS.

It started with the lightbars having a couple Red to the rear and the other day one passed me that had a full Red lightbar.

Nothing against them, the guys do a great job and are a huge help to Fire, Police, EMS but why the Red Lights?

Are they an "Emergency Vehicle" ???

I would think sticking with AMBER is much better for SAFETY especially

on the roadways.

Thoughts?

Any H.E.L.P. guys on here?

The problem with the HELP trucks responding to a break down etc. with ambers is they are trying to get through trafic to get to the scene and nobobdy gets out of the way for them. One thing they do is push the vehicle off the road to open the lanes. Look at some of the roads like the Saw Mill. A breakdown in one of the lanes during rush hour and after 5 minutes you end up with 2 or 3 miles. Try and get thru. People don't move for us. Knowing this are red lights justified? Don't know, let's see the response from the normal list of opinionated.

I think some red in the grill lights and maybe a red and yellow dash master would be great, but an all red bar is a little much. I do aggree these guys are a great help on the highways.

If they are using red lightbars to move thorough traffic, do they also have a siren now?

I think the NYPD trucks have all red lights. TBTA wreckers do, as do Thruway bridge patrol wreckers.

However, I don't know about sirens.

Edited by 23piraf

I think Mass. does the same with their trucks to get to incidents as an effort to get traffic flowing. But they might be yellow and white lights I can't remember. Check your local and state laws what is allowed.

I think Mass. does the same with their trucks to get to incidents as an effort to get traffic flowing.  But they might be yellow and white lights  I can't remember.  Check your local and state laws what is allowed.

Here in MA the Mass Highway trucks use Amber and Clear LED lightbars. I'm not sure about the V&T laws. I've never seen anyone pull over for them.

On the highway, these HELP trucks are great. The are always assisting us, and all the guys I work with are professional and hard workers.

They are great people and do great work. I hear from one of their former employees that they have an excellent relationship with the NYSP, especially on the Thruway. They take a lot risk out there from motorists. The ex-employee that I know had someone slam into the back of his truck on 684 one night while helping a motorist.

I see them a lot on 684 shutting down a lane while NYSP is doing a traffic stop. I think that's great. I hope a lot of you have had positive experiences with them.

As for the red lights, as long as they don't abuse them, I'm all for it. As stated before, this is not the first time it's been done and it's been implemented successfully elsewhere. However, I believe the lights should be used under two conditions. 1) Not while responding to a breakdown/accident/etc. where there is free flowing traffic and 2) only in conjunction with a siren. You cannot use red lights without a siren. It a safety risk. That goes for everyone that responds with red lights! USE THAT SIREN! Here's a great article that everyone should read Use That Siren!

Sure you may wake up the neighborhood, but you need to remember that sirens protect you, your fellow workers, and all persons sharing the road. Here in Massachusetts, we never turn off the siren until we get on scene. If we do, we get yelled at. But anyway, that's another topic for another day. Point of the story: BE SAFE OUT THERE!!!

Edited by unleashedff248

Thruway wreckers use a siren.......one was coming up behind me one time and i was looking for a crusier or a bus.....then i finally realized it was the wrecker....what a surprise

The problem I see here is if we give them red lights and siren, what about Con Ed and everyone else? There has to be a line somewhere.

What authority does Thruway have to use red lights/sirens? Same for TBTA?

I do not believe that these trucks should be equipped with red lights. Use of these lights are for true, life threatning emergencies. To permit these vehicles to have these lights just so they can get through traffic for a breakdown, is wrong. That is what police and fire are for!!

It is reasonable to allow the help truck to have a FEW red lights on the truck.........if a car is broken down in a dangerous area there is no need to call the police or fire department

However, if they have red lights on them what stops them from flying down the highway for a broken down car that is clearly not going anywhere

The Maryland Transportation Authority uses a combination of red white and amber lights on the trucks that patrol I-95. If they are responding to a dissabled vehicle they use just the amber, if it is a response to some kind of accident or medical call on the highway both sets of lights along with a siren are used together. Seems to work fairly well. Lightbars are all amber then they have red and white grill and dash lights. These guys make life so much easier when it comes to traffic control on the big highways . Those of you that work I-95 , 287 and the sprain know what I mean.

The problem I see here is if we give them red lights and siren, what about Con Ed and everyone else? There has to be a line somewhere.

What authority does Thruway have to use red lights/sirens? Same for TBTA?

I have seen Con Ed in the city with RLS huh.gif ! Speaking to someone that works for Coned, he said there were some emrgency response units in the city that have been given dispensation by the city. Again, NYC is a different world from Westchester!

Thruway wreckers use a siren.......one was coming up behind me one time and i was looking for a crusier or a bus.....then i finally realized it was the wrecker....what a surprise

The thruway wreckers have a purposse for the red lights and sirens.

They are first line emergency response for the Tappan Zee Bridge. Any disabled vehicle or minor accident has great potential to become an even bigger incident on the bridge if not removed or blocked ASAP. Since the bridge has no shoulder, red lights and sirens are neccesary for the wreckers for thatr reason as well. These wrecker operators on the bridge also have an extremly dangerous job.

As a side note, at one time the Thruway Authority even operated a Engine company for the bridge...photos anyone?

You also see red lights and sirens on PAPD Bridge and Tunnel units for the same reason.

Edited by x635

When I first moved to Tarrytown, I did see that engine every once in a while. It was a Ford painted NYS Yellow w/the blue thruway seal on the door, obvioulsy equipped with red lights and sirens.

Edited by gpdexplorer

I also think they have red lights so that traffic will slow down thinking it is a Trooper. Most of the time I think when motorist see amber lights they ignore the fact they should slow down. Just my opinion.

Hmmm.......

Who cares?!

It's the same thing as the discussion of Police using blue lights - whatever makes things safer for all is the most important thing. Personally, I would like to see the fire service getting permission to use some blue warning lights - even if it was to the rear only.

Give em the extrication tools/speedy dry/ and water then the FD would not have to go on the pkwy/hwys. Don't fprget a place for the stretcher.

I have seen Con Ed in the city with RLS huh.gif ! Speaking to someone that works for Coned, he said there were some emrgency response units in the city that have been given dispensation by the city. Again, NYC is a different world from Westchester!

I thought that special dispensation could only come from the state DMV?

I 2nd the 'who cares' by 585. 20 posts and counting on help trucks lighting. Air transport topic 18. Others with something to learn and discuss that is worthy...equal or less then that.

Use of these lights are for true, life threatning emergencies.

So when is fire and ems going to stop using them for 99% of their call volume that are not "true, life threatening emergencies?"

I say give em blue lights so they can be seen better!!!!!!! Just like the cops!

Edited by WCDES636

Saw one by JFK today coming home with almost all red lights......i thought it was a fire truck up until i passed it