Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester Departments That Maintain Antique Apparatus?

26 posts in this topic

Just curious as to which Westchester FD's maintain antique apparatus as parade pieces and/or department historical items?

Also, to my knowledge, no one maintains an antique rescue,ladder truck, or ambulance, correct? It's basically all engines?

I know Ardsley maintains a 1928 Seagrave, "Old Betsy", which has been owned by the dept. since new. It's never been refurbed, but is in great condition.

Somers maintains an Antique Engine and Mini-Attack, however both are still in service and respond to calls.

Engine- 182- 1958 Seagrave

MA13 - 1966 International

We used to maintain an Antique Rescue (20), a 1947 Ward LaFrance, 1 of only 3 ever made, and the only one still around. That was a true antique- we used it for parades, and a casket cassion for funerals. We donated it to the Fire Museum in Hudson in February, 2001.

Katonah maintains a 1928 ALF Type 75 Pumper (Engine 114) and also a 1874 Hand Pumper that I believe was built by Cowans.......

As a side note Katonah's 1935 Mack and 1939 Seagrave are still in existance...... our 1924 Dodge Chemical Car is rumored to still be n the area as well..............

I think Purchase has a ladder truck. And Millwood FD has the Chemical Pumper. Briarcliff has an engine. Thornwood has a Chiefs' car.

Purchase has a 1956 Seagrave Quad..... Thornwoods is a Ford Model T Hose Hauler..... Valhalla has a Maxim Patrol........

Ridgefield CT. just across the boarder had at one point a 1927 or 1928 Seagrave Suburbanite City Service Truck.... not sure if they still maintain that unit or not.

I suppose the reason more department's don't maintain antique ladder trucks is because of spacial issues...... they are often very large!

In mohegan we have

1941 Mack 505S 250gal 500gpm pumper AKA ENG 251 going for refurbishment in a couple of weeks

we also have our

1948 Chevy/Boyer 200gal 500gpm pumper the former Eng 250

Unfortunately Purchase no longer has the old Seagrave Quad, it had to be sold due to space consierations.

we also have our

1948 Chevy/Boyer 200gal 500gpm pumper the former Eng 250

Is that going to be up in Milford Saturday?

absolutely truck it will be there next too the mack

Millwood's Brockway Chemical Engine is probably the nicest rig around. It's perfect.

Chappaqua and Briarcliff both have good looking Mack's.

South Salem (I think) referb'd a rig not too long ago but if its the one I'm thinking of it's a mid twenties unit that now has chrome tanks on it... Doesn't sound original to me.

There are a few piston pumpers with the now career dept.s down county that aren't restored to my knowledge but are a great slice of history.

I would love to see Ossining's old L-41 restored.

Peekskill has a couple of hand drawn pieces ( A parade hose cart and a hand engine) that are amazingly beautiful. It always amazes me to see them coming down the street with the ropes fully manned and the rigs all decked out in their finest. I have a few pictures of Washingtons hose cart, I'll have to figure out how to post them.

Greenville Fd has 3 aherns Fox's all original GFD rigs.....

Actually, the 1930 Ahrens Fox, model G-W-60-4, Reg. # 5051 was purchased from Lakeview Long Island at one point.

Village of Pelham engine 6. Up until 1998 is was one of the oldest rigs still in service in New York State. Its a 1925 American La France chain driven on 1 wheel. Through the years parts were harder to find and cost big bucks so for the most part Engine 6 has been sitting in quarters and hasnt made many parades over the last few years

Ah EX2354, there are a couple people who would like to see that old rig restored to its original state and in good running condition. I happen to be one of those people. Yes, it will cost a lot of money, but with some hard work and dedication, i think it might be able to be pulled off. (Dont hold me to any time length though, haha.)

Port Chester Explorers have a newly refurbished hand drawn hose cart from the late 1800s.

port chester old eng 62 a 1957 B95 MACK 1000 GAL AND ALSO THE 1948 WARD LAFRANCE FROM P.C.F.D.ENG 64 ARE OWNED BY PCFD ENG. 58 . RETURNING TO PC SHORTLY IS THE TWO DOOR CREW CAB 1958 WARD LAFRANCE OLD ENG 60 AROUND APRIL 1

Hope Hose in Tarrytown has a 1952 Ahrens Fox ht Piston pumper last one ever built it is being restored in Rockland County but is still owned by the Fire Company

Never say never seth their are plans in the work to have "Old Betsy" redone.

Unfortunately Purchase no longer has the old Seagrave Quad, it had to be sold due to space consierations.

I believe that Purchase still owns the quad but it is being stored with a collector in Pennsylvania. From what I also was told at their inspection dinner last year, they have access to the truck whenever they want to use it. Also the correct year of the quad is 1957 not 1956. This was the first fire truck that I had ever driven back when it was still powered by a V12 gas engine and a 5 speed crash box.

Golden's Bridge has:

Eng. 138 is a 1968 Mack which is still in service

We also have a 1899 hose cart that we pull at Anniversary parades

Don't forget Jeep 2 (1944 Willy's)

or whatever the "new" Utility number is, when the county took away the Jeep designations.

Jeep 1 is still in existance as well. It is tucked away in a Millwood member's garage awaiting the time and money to restore it and it's mini trailer that it pulled.

Yes, GBFD's 1944 Willy's Jeep is Utility 38. I am told it was donated to us by people connected to the old TV show "The Rat Patrol"

Greenwich , CT has :

Glenville Vol Fire Company has a - 1960's maxim pumper

Sound Beach Vol Fire Dept- 1930's segrave pumper

Cos Cob CT- 1930's? Mack (B?) Model Pumper

Cos Cob, Sound Beach, and Round Hill also had some old trucks which are restored and are around. Cos Cob's segrave is in Cailifornia, Sound Beaches Patrol is in Westport, CT i believe and Round Hill's is in Shelton CT.