Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

New York State Thruway Authority "Wrecker 1"

28 posts in this topic

Today, I got to shoot a truck I've been wanting to shoot forever, New York State Thruway Authority "Wrecker 1". This unit is first due to any incident on or around the Tappan Zee Bridge (I-87 between Tarrytown in Westchester and Nyack in Rockland, over the Hudson River)

Don't know the spec, only that it is an International chasis. Does anyone know anything further about this operation currently due to Thruway budget cuts. They used to have an fire engine, but that has been disposed of. How many of these vehicles do they have operating on the bride, and what is the operation like?

Also, this is signifcant for me since it is the first apparatus I have shot since my accident. I saw this sitting in a parking lot by my doctors office as we were pulling out, and ordered Kristen to pull into a position where I could shoot from the passenger seat of the Nitro.

Photo taken by x635 3-23-07 using a Canon Digital Elph SD900 10.1MP

[attachmentid=2282]

post-11-1174694976.jpg

Ordered her? I dont know if the guy who is dependent on such an excellent woman should be ordering anything :-) When you get better, we can hit up the PANYNJ garage at the GWB so you can see the monster's they have on staff.

Get better soon bro!

Last I heard, the thruway authority still has its own "Tappen Zee" division, and basically runs as a small city (maintenance and towing). A few years back I had read an article on the towing and emergency services division, to which "wrecker 1" is part of, and they run 24/7, 365. Considering the bridge has heavy volume and no shoulders, a break down can cause major problems.Sometimes if the situation calls for it, they will use the major push bar on the front of the truck to get you off the bridge. One story stated that a woman who had a fear of crossing the bridge had to get out and be driven across and back everyday of the workweek by a thruway employee (Now thats dedication). Other stories consist of being able to change a flat like a pit crew in Nascar as the traffic still moves 70 mph by. They operate at least two other wreckers, one which I believe is a Sterling Acterra configured the same as above, and a flatbed with a crew of 10. It sounds like one heck of a job! Hope you are getting better Seth...

Edited by BedfordFire

You know you bring up a great point with moving off obstructions. Recently I was crossing the Tri-Boro Bridge from the Bx to Queens and there was a fender bender on the bridge. They had 2 of the 3 operating lanes closed with 3 "wreckers" on the scene and 2 police cars. I thought that that was their job to grab the cars and get them off of the highway safely and keep the bridge open fully. They were there for some time cause when I returned from LGA they were still in the same position with EMS units on the scene and FDNY still trying to turn around for it. If the vehicles are not 100% driveable and the injuries are minor where no one's life would be in danger shouldn't they tug em off safely and then deal with the rest? I have never really seen this problem on the TZB other than when the tractor trailers rolled over or caught on fire...but those are extreme situations...

Interesting that it has a red light bar.

Edited by OoO

Interesting that it has a red light bar.

Seems silly with all that is written about red lights...I could see some to the front but I would prefer amber/blue to the rear...They do have to get through the traffic to move the obstruction but once on the scene I'd rather be safe than sorry...

And Seth better check his spelling on the cover page of EMTBravo.com! He has it as bride patrol!! Don't we only wish we could call in a hook when they are hovering! Or maybe it is getting close to his wedding day! smile.gifbiggrin.gifsmile.giflaugh.gif

Edited by Oswegowind

The wrecker has red lights because it's an emergency vehicle that is first due in a highly dangerous enviroment.

My main EMTBravo computer is shut down for something, the typo will be fixed tommorow...until then, it's the "Bride" Patrol, lol.

There is one crew on 24/7, usually 2 crews on weekends, high volume weekends & holidays you might have 3 crews on. They run 2 wreckers 1 flatbed....(only brought out when needed) All 3 units are equipped with lights & sirens with wig-wags They are considered emergency vehicles, thats why they have "bridge patrol" on them. Seth...anytime you want to get more pics let me know, I can hook you up.

If they are considered emergency vehicles are the crews First Responders on the wrecker's?

Edited by ems-buff

If they are considered emergency vehicles are the crews First Responders on the wrecker's?

I don't believe they're CFR's for the T-way. They may be in VFD's or EMS elsewhere. Most of the crews were bridge maintenance workers. The same guys used to be responsible for updating the bridge's variable message signs when there was an accident and the movement of the center barrier.

The whole point of the wreckers is to clear the road so traffic can cross the bridge. They usually pull disabled vehicles off to either side of the bridge where they can safely wait for the contract tow service.

No they are not CFR's and the "un official" reason for getting rid of the fire engine is because there were certain people who used to use it without using turnout gear. Budget cuts had nothing to do with it, the wrecker crews responded only to car fires on the bridge...when that was the case the contract tow agency would come on the bridge and haul away whatever was left.

Ordered her?  I dont know if the guy who is dependent on such an excellent woman should be ordering anything :-)  When you get better, we can hit up the PANYNJ garage at the GWB so you can see the monster's they have on staff.

Get better soon bro!

They've got some sick looking rigs in that garage. I've almost been in several fender benders coming out of the tolls trying to look when they've got the garage doors open.

Also to note, TBTA and PA rigs all have some sort of fire suppression system on board.

Edited by 23piraf

The State really needs to look into purchasing better light bars for their whole fleet.

Perfect example is above, the antique, single lens red ones with rotating incandescent bulbs now in use and on most marked State Police cars have a very limited visibility.

There are much better choices available out there now.

I agree with Jack.

Compared with a GWB unit, these units are skimpy, IMHO.

The lighting package is antiquated (but so is all NYS*DOT and Thruway trucks compared with CT and MA), and I always wondered why they weren't more comparable with the GWB units as at the link below (on FDNYTrucks.com). With the TZ the way it is, you'd think they would staff and equip the "Wreckers" division better.

Such as this unit which I've always loved (and when I'm better I'm going to be contacting you EXDC203). It;s a 2002 Mack MR Weldbilt. I remember reading about the history of this custom unit, but I don't remember where:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/specialun...d/PAPD54512.jpg

Or this:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/specialun...PAPD54632-2.jpg

Here's another Mack MR/Weldbilt:

http://www.fdnytrucks.com/images/specialun...d/PAPD54601.jpg

What's that thing in front of the windshield for?

I also give these guys a LOT of credit, it's got to be scary working on the bridge, on something simple like a regular towoff of a disabled, and have traffic flying by you and a low, narrow guardrail high up with the powerful Hudson below.

What's that thing in front of the windshield for?

It resembles a winch?

Yea, the thing on the front looks like a winch.

If they have a red light bar, do they have a siren too?

As someone who responds to the TZB on ambulance calls, I wouldn't want anyone else out there. The wrecker crews are the best when it comes to helping us, stopping traffic, protecting us from traffic, etc.

It spoils us for jobs off the bridge, on the mainline Thruway when we are left to fend for ourselves.

You know you bring up a great point with moving off obstructions.  Recently I was crossing the Tri-Boro Bridge from the Bx to Queens and there was a fender bender on the bridge.  They had 2 of the 3 operating lanes closed with 3 "wreckers" on the scene and 2 police cars.  I thought that that was their job to grab the cars and get them off of the highway safely and keep the bridge open fully. 

If the occupants have a medical complaint then they have to wait for EMS to get there. Once they do however that car is moving one way or another. I've seen them f-up a car getting it off the road.

The TZ wreckers are great and really keep things moving. Is there any chance they can get the troopers on the same page. Fender bender earlier this weekon the TZ, with fire, PD, EMS, and the wreckers all hard to the right and traffic still flowing Rockland bound. Then there's one lone trooper crossing the barricade with his car parked in the left lane Westchester bound.

On the old mack, that "winch" raises & lowers the push bar for different height vehicles

On the old mack, that "winch" raises & lowers the push bar for different height vehicles

Now that is cool!!!!!!!!

Just as a heads up to any one that is interested, today I noticed there is a wrecker that looks similar to this sitting outside of Brookfield's in Elmsford. It looks like it is a former Port Authority truck.

GFD538 i just saw that truck today at brookfield. its sittin up next to the weigh station thing

GFD538 i just saw that truck today at brookfield. its sittin up next to the weigh station thing

It's one of the 1986 PAPD WeldBilts. Wonder if they replaced it with a 2006/7 model?

Also, since it was sitting in a locked yard with other Brookfield Wreckers, I wonder if they plan on using it themselves?

Photos taken 4-8-07

[attachmentid=2429]

[attachmentid=2430]

[attachmentid=2431]

post-11-1176076056.jpg

post-11-1176076225.jpg

post-11-1176076237.jpg

The truck is actually for sale and has been for some time now. Its a 1994 Weldbuilt wrecker, and undoubtedly for the Port Authority. Its up for $11,500 .

x635, is it too soon to trade in the Nitro? wink.gif

They've got some sick looking rigs in that garage. I've almost been in several fender benders coming out of the tolls trying to look when they've got the garage doors open.

Also to note, TBTA and PA rigs all have some sort of fire suppression system on board.

The PA uses a Purple K dry chemical fire supression system on the tow trucks. Incidentally, they are designed with such a short wheel base so they can turn around in the Holland & Lincoln Tunnels.

Incidentally, they are designed with such a short wheel base so they can turn around in the Holland & Lincoln Tunnels.

That's a cool fact...thanks! I always thought the short wheelbase was so that they were manuverable in tight traffic...hadn't thought anything else. Some very versatile units the PAPD has....are they any new ones coming in?

That's a cool fact...thanks! I always thought the short wheelbase was so that they were manuverable in tight traffic...hadn't thought anything else. Some very versatile units the PAPD has....are they any new ones coming in?

I've been retired from the PAPD for about 10 years so I'm out of the loop on new stuff. If you want to see some pretty wild specialty vehicles they have had over the years go to http://www.signal8-2.com/nostalgi.htm