Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Sound Shore Region- Major Flooding

35 posts in this topic

Anyone monitoring whats going on in the Sound Shore region?

I've heard numerous mutual agencies, including some distant, have been called in due to residential areas flooding rapidly and creating the need for an assisted evacuation.

Sounds like everyone has their hands full and high tide on the Long Island Sound isn't for another hour or so yet.

I hope everyone is ready for a long night! Stay safe and wear your swimmies!

Us Fairfield County boys are bored. We have nothing going on up here... some minor power outages and some flooding along the shore, but other than that we're quiet. The CT EOC has been activated and Department of Public Safety/Homeland Security are on alert, but nothing going that I know of.

According to my sources, Rye is witnessing flooding unlike that seen in at least the last 40 years. I was asked to issue a very greatful thankyou to the Ossining and Pound Ridge Fire Departments for their mutual aid Ladder and Utility respectively. If anyone would like futher specifics into the degree of the flooding or what operations have been taking place, either ask me on this post, or message me directly...I really don't want to go into that deep of specifics unless necessary.

SageVigiles are we living in the same county? I live in Fairfield County and haven't heard this much radio traffic from Darien, Stamford, and New Canaan in quite a while! Darien has been rescuing people from homes all day, New Canaan has been responding to water problems all day, and Stamford has their hands full also. There are many, many roads closed and many houses are completely flooded. You clearly do live in the boring part of the county!

When i left work at 11 Putnam 911 was beginning to send units into Westchester to help with driving buses, i guess to help evacuate people from Larchmont/Mmk/Rye/etc. Apparently, at roughly 10:45pm 60 Control had 500 911 calls waiting to be answered.

Roads in dutchess/putnam are absolutely horrible. I cant beleive i made it back to Poughkeepsie in one piece.

Just got off the phone with my parents in Rye Brook, major flooding, schools are closed, state of emergency in Mamaroneck, parents called the FD and their pumps weren't able to handle the flooding, major evacuations, its just completely out of control.

Best of luck to everyone out there. Hope everyone's family/loved ones/homes/etc. have limited damage. Stay safe.

Edited by 66Alpha1

jgrush, I won't argue with you, Northern Fairfield sucks... other than the typical flooding in Danbury that occurs anytime more than a light sprinkling occurs, we havent had anything.

Somebody tell Westchester to call Ball Pond in New Fairfield for manpower for those rescues! We've got boats, ATVs, and plenty of warm bodies! We're close to 684 and those Putnam County boys.

Banksville and Pound Ridge are operating with Eastchester FD at Lawrence Hospital.

Eastchester has E28, L15 and 2108 in service.

What sounds like every department in Putnam County south of Patterson was just toned for the Chief's to notify PCBOES... deployment?

As for southern Fairfield County (City of Stamford) the runs have been non-stop. I'm working now (0800-0800 tour) and we have been hammered since approximately 1500 hrs. Dozens of trapped vehicles were evacuated by members in dry suits and exposure suits. Washington Blvd. (next to the Mill River) is completely flooded as are all the adjoining neighborhoods. Flooding has also been occuring at several major intersections and the Cove and Shippan sections of the city. The Corps. of Engineers raised the Hurricane Barrier at 2030 hours and that minimized the flooding in the south end. SFRD Station #5 (1620 Washington Blvd.) has been evacuated due to the flooding (We had to sandbag it before we cleared out!). E-5, R-1, R-2, and the tech rescue support unit have been relocated to central HQ. We have a unit of the Connecticut Army National Guard at HQ and they are assisting with deep-water removals. And as of now (0220 hrs.) it's still busy!

All Big Five volunteer companies were alerted to station their respective quarters due to a city-wide major emergency. I was too busy to keep count but they were hammered as well!

Stay Safe,

SFRD49 (R-1)

Somers FD sent a Zodiac raft with manpower down to Mamaroneck at 2044hrs. We're sending more manpower down in a little while to the county to deploy as needed.

Port chester and Rye Brook still very busy, main st under water using front end loaders and rescue 40 using marine 10 to rescue trapped people in homes at avon circle. all companys still active.

Putnam has sent a Task Force of 2 Engines (12-2-3 & 18-2-1), 1 Ladder (11-5-1), 2 Rescues (23-6-1 & 24-6-1) and 1 Bus (24-8-2). We will assemble crews for 6 SEFU's at 7am for deployment.

New Fairfield is still quiet except for 3 pumpouts... Danbury sounds like its underwater and Putnam is busy with WC, yet we sit quiet... Nows the time for somebody to call us for mutual aid.

I stand corrected, New Fairfield CT got hit with about 6 more pumpouts, a road washout, and a bridge overflowing with water, in which members had to cross the waters to warn civililans on the other side.

stay safe out there boys, sounds a little nuts down there. i thought i was dreaming when i got a text message last night directing my dept (banksville) to go to eastchester. stay safe and keep up the the good work.

Mamaronck house fire kills man, continues burning

By LESLIE KORNGOLD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: April 16, 2007)

MAMARONECK VILLAGE - Firefighters have spent more than six hours trying to put out a blaze in a flooded home that killed an unidentified man early this morning.

Officials have not released the man's name, but the 243 Knollwood Ave. home is listed in the phone book as belonging to Jacques Kirsch, whose last name also appears on the front door of the two-story stucco house on the end of the cul-de-sac.

The man's wife made it out of the house unharmed, but the male resident was trapped in the upstairs bedroom as the first floor collapsed, officials said.

Firefighters rescued him under "very severe conditions," said Deputy Chief Kevin Delner. They administered CPR, but he died at the scene.

Firefighters arrived at the house at about 2 a.m. today. The fire began in the basement, but due to seven feet of flooding there, firefighters are having a difficult time reaching it and determining whether the cause was electrical.

At 8:20 a.m., engines arrived from Croton-on-Hudson and Sleepy Hollow to help relieve exhausted firefighters who have continued working on the smoldering structure.

Flooded roads in the area have forced emergency crews to bypass direct roads, creating delays in response times. Representatives from the county medical examiner's office have also not been able to get to Mamaroneck village to obtain the body and investigate the death, officials said at 8 a.m. today.

The house has a large hole in the roof, and every window is knocked out. The only thing left unscathed is the Audi car parked in the garage.

I posted this on the other thread also.

Many highways, roads still flooded after Nor'easter

By THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original Publication: April 16, 2007)

Major sections of parkways and highways were closed in Westchester and Rockland counties this morning for flooding, including a section of southbound Interstate 87 in Rockland and most of the southbound Hutchinson River Parkway in Westchester, police said.

Transportation officials urged commuters to be cautious about driving on roads that are open, as rain limited visibility and slowed reaction times.

The following roads were closed at 8:30 a.m.

WESTCHESTER

Bronx River Parkway: closed at the Sprain Brook Parkway in Yonkers to Main Street in White Plains

Cross County Parkway: westbound closed from the Hutchinson River Parkway to the Saw Mill Parkway

Hutchinson River Parkway: northbound from exit 6 to Wilmot Road in New Rochelle; southbound closed at I-287 in White Plains to exit 7 on the New York City line

Interstate 95: Exits reopened southbound at Exit 19, Rye/Harrison, but exits accessing the Hutchinson Parkway are temporarily closed.

Saw Mill Parkway: closed from exit 29 Manville Road to Tuckahoe Road in Yonkers

Sprain Brook Parkway: northbound closed from the Bronx River Parkway to Tuckahoe Road in Yonkers; southbound lanes closed between Jackson Avenue and the Bronx River Parkway

Taconic State Parkway: closed from Commerce Street to Stevens Avenue in Valhalla

Route 6: closed to Route 202, from the Bear Mountain Bridge to Route 9/Annsville Circle

Route 9: closed at Main Street in Peekskill, due to a mud slide; closed northbound at Roa Hook Road

Route 9A: closed from Route 119 to Route 100C in Greenburgh

Route 22: closed in North Castle between Route 120 and Orchard Street

Route 100/133: closed at Camp Fire Road in New Castle

Route 120: closed at Douglas Road in New Castle; closed at Route 120 at Douglass Kipp Street in Chappaqua

Route 141: closed at Memorial Drive in Hawthorne

Route 119: closed eastbound at Taxter Road in Elmsford

Mamaroneck village: Fenimore Road closed, First Street, parts of Maple Avenue and Mamaroneck Avenue near the village train station are also closed.

ROCKLAND

Interstate 87: southbound closed between Exit 12 and the Palisades Interstate Parkway

Route 303: closed both directions at Oak Tree Road in Tappan

Route 59: closed both directions at Route 303

Edited by LCFD968

My Incident Alert regarding the Sound Shore region has been updated with assitance from x901, JakeShine, and other members:

View Updated IA Here:

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=17624

Millwood Boat to Mamaroneck- helping with search and rescue

Nor'easter 2007: State of Emergency declared in Westchester

MAMARONECK - A state of emergency declared by Westchester County Executive Andrew Spano today will make it easier to get emergency equipment to the flooded out sections of Mamaroneck, where rescuers evacuated children through knee-high water, and some 500 people spent the night in a Red Cross shelter.

The emergency measure means the hard-hit Sound Shore can expect aid from New York State, according to the county, but further details were not immediately available at 9:30 a.m.

Firefighters from as far away as Brewster were in the flooded town this morning with a ladder truck to assist in the evacuation effort, forced by the heavy rain overnight.

Mamaroneck village officials ordered a mandatory evacuation for parts of the Orienta section, near the Long Island Sound.

Mamaroneck town officials issued a voluntary evacuation order for some residents living on Hommocks Road, Pryer Manor Road, Dogwood Lane, Premium Point, Wildwood Circle, and Pheasant Run.

Mamaroneck High School was converted into a shelter with scores of cots in the gymnasium.

The storm caused trouble across the county, making trains late, closing parkways and interstates, detouring buses, flooding basements and closing scores of schools in Westchester.

"We have hundreds and hundreds of flooded basements,'' said New Rochelle Fire Commissioner Ray Kiernan. "At this rate, we'll be pumping through August.''

In Rockland, waters were two feet high this morning on the New York State Thruway at Route 303, near the Palisades Center mall.

Although schools were open today in Putnam County, spot flooding and road washouts were reported from Garrison to Southeast.

Staff writers Terence P. Corcoran, Caren Halbfinger, and Ken Valenti contributed to this report.

Sleepy Hollow TL38 sent in to relieve Bedford Hills TL57 at 0500 at the scene of the fatal fire. Sleepy Hollow Marine 27 relieved at 0430 and returned home. Great job by all of the public safety units on scene. Glad that we could help out.

Anyone know what Gov. Spitzer had to say if anything? Will he be declaring a disaster area so the federal and state govt can send some resources down?

Mamaronck house fire kills man, continues burning

By LESLIE KORNGOLD

THE JOURNAL NEWS

MAMARONECK VILLAGE - Firefighters have spent more than six hours trying to put out a blaze in a flooded home that killed an unidentified man early this morning.

Officials have not released the man's name, but the 243 Knollwood Ave. home is listed in the phone book as belonging to Jacques Kirsch, whose last name also appears on the front door of the two-story stucco house on the end of the cul-de-sac.

The man's wife made it out of the house unharmed, but the male resident was trapped in the upstairs bedroom as the first floor collapsed, officials said.

Firefighters rescued him under "very severe conditions," said Deputy Chief Kevin Delner. They administered CPR, but he died at the scene.

at the

Firefighters arrived at the house at about 2 a.m. today. The fire began in the basement, but due to seven feet of flooding there, firefighters are having a difficult time reaching it and determining whether the cause was electrical.

At 8:20 a.m., engines arrived from Croton-on-Hudson and Sleepy Hollow to help relieve exhausted firefighters who have continued working on the smoldering structure.

Flooded roads in the area have forced emergency crews to bypass direct roads, creating delays in response times. Representatives from the county medical examiner's office have also not been able to get to Mamaroneck village to obtain the body and investigate the death, officials said at 8 a.m. today.

The house has a large hole in the roof, and every window is knocked out. The only thing left unscathed is the Audi car parked in the garage.

Nice job on everyone's part. Being the first responding engine, we pulled up to the house with smoke fully engulfing the house. Upon entry, two firefighthers found the victim top of the stairs under extremely heavy smoke condition. The house itself was very unsafe for firefighting, lots of clutter and items all over the house. Was very difficult to find access to the basement as well. THanks again to all that were there, good work.

That was insane last night in Mamaroneck. It was great to come home to my own basement underwater. To all the agencies whose boat I may have been in or placed many, many people in THANK YOU.

I have to say that Westchester has to work on some sort of communications for disasters like this. Nobody could talk to nobody and we being PD had really no way to communicate with anyone. We were sent back down into the MAMARONECK area around 4:30a to look for a family that was stranded. SHocking I think we were there 2HRS earlier and they didn't want to leave. Anyway we got down to INCIDENT COMMAND at the Train Tressel and an UNNAMED FIRE CHIEF from and UNKNOWN AGENCY told us where to go. We got there, the family had been evacuated. Not knowing this we kept searching. By this time most of the FD"s had packed up and left. We got back to INCIDENT COMMAND and low and behold the FIRE CHIEF was gone.

Nice job doing your INCIDENT COMMAND whoever you were. Nice to leave 6 RESCUERS searching a residence that had already been evacuated. NICE JOB not to be at INCIDENT COMMAND when we got back to confirm the address since there was no form of COMMUNICATION.

At one point we found a couple of FD units somewhere and asked to call INCIDENT COMMAND so we could confirm an address. They didn't even have a frequency.

This topic needs to be addressed and soon. Somebody is going to get killed.

if we didn't have Indian Point here it wouldn't have rained so much!

if we didn't have Indian Point here it wouldn't have rained so much!

I'm missing something... How do you figure this?

I think (and hope) thats sarcasm...

That's what I figured but you never know! LOL