Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

I worked at Empress and...

45 posts in this topic

I worked at Empress from March 2000 to September 2004 or something like that.

I currently work at Yonkers PD/FD Dispatch/911

Empress shields: 735 and 123 (when became a dispatcher)

Main partners: x901, 504, 119

Units: Mostly Tac....but since I couldn't drive at Empress for a while cause of tickets!!! I usually was chauffered around from job to job by x901.

Tac 6, Sundays, until unit was removed from schedule!

Tac 1 and 3 Wednesdays for a long time!

Chair 1 Friday overnights with long time dispatcher Mike Cruz...yes I was ole's replacement!!!!!

Chair 1 Sunday overnights with an array of characters.

Most miss: Tac 3 Wednesday's with Leah Vasquez...we used to get all the jobs! (sorry Dave)

Would I go back: No, probably not...but you never know!

Edited by Oswegowind

I worked at Empress from 9/94 to 6/01

I currently work at the City of Poughkeepsie 911

Empress shields: 129, the one and only, K.

Main partners: Tommy Sal, Billy "The Hammer" Rothschild, 307K, Erik Lindholm, Tara!, Big Mike Cruz from da group home, Kurt Budnik, Dum Dum, JENNA!!!!!!!!, Andy the Security Guard, Maria (Maria, pick up 52!), Diller, DonkeyBoy

Units: All of them...........

Most miss: All of the great people, the fun, the pranks, the area, the EXTREME POTENTIAL FOR DISASTER The YO is famous for! The Wolkowitz Beat Down- courtesy of Mike Minerva! laugh.gif , The Dinosaur Glubs!............

Don't Miss; having my car broken into, the one hour, 10 minute commute in bad weather, the stair chair, "ehhhhh, this can go BLS...", Getting held over EOT, breaking down and waiting for a tow truck...........sleeping in the crew room..

Would I go back: I'd love to.......I often think about dropping by, but dont know how many people I would know.....

Edited by Ole129K

Cool!!

Didn't know we had a time-traveler here!

tongue.gif

I gots skillz..............

Tara!,  Maria (Maria, pick up 52!)

Maria and the duct tape!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...saw her a few weeks ago at St John's...still one of the best people on earth!

and Tara! oh yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!

First, I love the logo 129!

I find it awesome how the Empress family is everywhere! I think this year EMS week Empress BBQ they should invite the alumni!

I worked at Empress as an EMT, EMT-I, and EMD from 12/97 to 6/2000

I left for a position at 60 Control, and stayed on per-diem as well as kept my per-diem job as an ED tech at Stamford Hospital.

I currently work for Hartsdale FD as a firefighte (E-170, E-169, or TL-15).

Empress shield: 700 (they issued EMT's and Medic's Shield #'s in 1999, I believe. Frank Califano was 701, and Jen Califano was 702.

I had so many partners and supervisors I can hardly remember (so excuse me if I screw up names) ! Bill Rothschild (who's one of my groomsmen), Keisha Munn, Ronnnie Graham, Anna Ranallo, Tony Adamo, Bobby Diller, Mike Sanjunro, Mike Pizzarusso, Carol Thomas, Matt Tuttle, Tommy Sal, Frank Mancuso, Mark Baumblatt (who's now a Greenville FF and my union brother), Alex Rodriguez, Rory Lynch, and the list goes on and on.....

Units: Ambulance 26, Tac 6, Medic 30,31,32,33, MV-A-1

Most miss: Everyone I worked with!

Don't Miss; having my car broken into, crappy ambulances, poor parking, getting held over constantly, low pay, some transports, Yonkers General to Regency

I would go back to work there as a per-diem Medic when I do recert. Yonkers and Mount Vernon were fun cities to work in.

i was @ Empress (2/2002- 3/2006)

currently: Port Chester-Rye-Rye Brook EMS & T.M.A.D.

shields 801 & 901

Oswegowind's personal driver smile.gif

worked all of the units.... TAC 6 was my favorite

i miss those morning breakfasts @ post 300 where all the units would get together w\ 307 and have coffee.

The sunday crew. Tac 6 & Medic 30 running off and hiding, or taking in all the jobs, depending on the moods that we were in.

would i go back to Empress? 99% sure NO!

I miss the people, the crazy jobs. I don't miss the company.

We should seriously get something together this summer.... i'd love to see you guys, even you Elf Toes, again.

Plus ya gotta meet my little guy - he is a trip! He wants to grow up and be Captain on a Tower Ladder and a Train Driver.

Don't Miss; having my car broken into, crappy ambulances, poor parking, getting held over constantly, low pay, some transports, Yonkers General to Regency

Now they park in the lot at 722...so the parking has been rectified and the only one's breaking into your car is your partner! Still kind of low pay...still do transports...but no more YGH to Regency...instead YGH calls 911 for anything and everything!!!!!!!so you have to go there even more!!!!

Oh...were we NOt supposed to park in the lot????

Musta missed that memo!

EMT from Jan. '94 to Jan. '97.

We didn't have numbers back then.

Worked a 24 from 1900 Friday to 1900 Saturday in Yonkers. The first 12 was on Medic 16 with Erik "You can walk" Lindholm. Then the day shift on Medic 6 with Malcolm "Stealth Master" Dixon. (Maintain radio silence)

Sunday 0700 to 1900 with Mike Lamorgese on Medic 2.

I left for "More money, less Sugrue"

Miss the most: Satuday nights in Yonkers with Buck, and later, Tommy Sal as Supervisor.

EMT from Jan. '94 to Jan. '97.

We didn't have numbers back then.

Worked a 24 from 1900 Friday to 1900 Saturday in Yonkers. The first 12 was on Medic 16 with Erik "You can walk" Lindholm.  Then the day shift on Medic 6 with Malcolm "Stealth Master" Dixon. (Maintain radio silence)

Sunday 0700 to 1900 with Mike Lamorgese on Medic 2.

I left for "More money, less Sugrue"

Miss the most:  Satuday nights in Yonkers with Buck, and later, Tommy Sal as Supervisor.

You forgot the Wei Wei shuffle with me, Staurday 4 X 12.......and getting me out of that pesky ticket... wink.gif

You forgot the Wei Wei shuffle with me, Staurday 4 X 12.......and getting me out of that pesky ticket... wink.gif

Big D!! I didn't figure out who were until now.

I rememeber Wei-Wei! Seems like she was a BLS rite-of-passage for everyone at the time!

I rememeber Wei-Wei! Seems like she was a BLS rite-of-passage for everyone at the time!

They had bricks IFO their hous on Hanfling Rd....one day I was dropping her off and realized that they had my last name embossed on them - even spelled right! They gave me one and it is on display at my Dad's house!

Good folk.....

Danny I still got the Dinosaur Gloves!!!!!

Danny I still got the  Dinosaur Gloves!!!!!

I found that pic of me and the dude from that call! laugh.giflaugh.gif

That was a hot trauma dude!

I worked at Empress from 1996-1998. I cant remember the exact months. I started off doing the 5 day a week BLS shuffle all over the friggin County. First partner I ever had was Dave Waith. Had some QA/QI guy with the last name of Gallagher I think for some orientation and EVOC in an empty parking lot.

Other partners I had... Rob Casasanta (RWC130), Sheri Baia, Laurie Kaufman, Frank Califano, Tara Sequin (who now works at regional ems the last I heard), Emmad Marji was my partner for a while on one of my day shifts. He was friends with every dispatcher and we NEVER did BLS transports. We just drove around and sometimes headed to a BLS TX, but we also heard a good job and buffed it. He was an awesome partner. Another one of my favorites was Dante Perales. For those of you who do not know Dante or anything about him, he was an EMT with the "E" for many years. He was another guy who buffed hot jobs all the time. I spent more time in the Bronx sitting in the bus while he was with his woman in her apartment. He opened my eyes to the Boogie Down Bronx...the largest slices of pizza in the work, spanish food and fried meat patties from street vendors. Dante was at the WTC on 9/11 doing what he could do to help. A while later he moved to the state of Florida and was in the PD academy. One night on his way home he was in a very serious MVA and we killed. I found out about the funeral services after they were already over. REST IN PEACE DANTE!!.........Bobby Martinez(RIP), Maria, Dennis Murphy, Dave Cox, Diller, Sanjurgo, Ammani, Karen Fragano and the whole dispatch crew

Bosses.....Sugrue (as*hole)..hated that man with a passion. Darren Baia was cool, Danny Minerva, Tommy Sal (REST IN PEACE BROTHER), Carol Boscha (sic), The Famous Robert "BUCK" Visconti Unit# 300!, Mark Baumblatt, Scott Holland and his GF Kim.

I worked the road, dispatch and support services during my time at the "E". Loved driving all over doing "hospital shopping" for equipment belonging to the "E".....Loved the AWESOME Spanish Food from Panchitos. Loved the competition with Califano for who had been to the best trauma jobs. I called him trauma 1, he called me trauma 2.........My current screen name was borne from this!! Thanks Frank!!!

Hated not having a parking spot, Yonkers Parking Authority, larcenies from my car, dealing with the lowest of the lowest forms of life on earth, the commute, Sugrue, YGH and the large woman who we picked up in the Bronx. We always had 2 units (at least 4 EMTs) to lift her into the bus because was like 450lbs. Nice lady, but the runs sucked!

I thought a few times about going back because I learned how to be a good EMT on the streets of the YO! I saw and did things that EMTs here in Orange County would NEVER see or do!

To busy leading my VAC right now to put in the drive and a shift in the YO!

I worked for Empress in 1997.

My first call. Shooting on Palisade Ave. I could see he was DOA

before I got out of the bus.

Old partners: Doug DiBlasi, Laurie Kaufman, Sheri Baia, Jay Swart,

Califano, F and Califano J, and my old pal Bill Ford.

Frank Califano GREAT EMT, Hey do you still have my ORANGE EMT Sheers? haha

Rich Ulrich, Daryn Baia, Bob Visconti, Robert Scott Boswick, Steve Sugrue and the

rest of the gang. Had some fun times.

God bless Tommy Sal - RIP BROTHER!!!

I remember some fun nights at Mannions.

RIP DANTE! Your life and dream was cut way too

short. Thanks for showing me how to unlock the cell phones. tongue.gif

What do I miss the most?

The REALLY HOT spanish girl who use to sit upstairs and answer the phones.

(old building design) WOW!

I always found time for a "10-27" and how will ALWAYS be a secret.

You got me once and only once... Never again! haha

One last thing.....

I DON'T MISS PARKING TICKETS!

God Bless ALL Empress EMS employees past and present.

BE SAFE! biggrin.gif

My first call. Shooting on Palisade Ave. I could see he was DOA

before I got out of the bus.

Police involved???? Tryed to ram ESU??? I was there but I was delivering beer for Bertoline and sons at that time during my time off from school...Pretty wild scene!

I love the shot of Empress Dodge Ram Unit 06.

Memories! haha

[attachmentid=2734]

I remember I was in that thing doing a ride-a-long with

Paramedic Supervisor Paul Hansen. Remember him?

We were going to a Cardiac Arrest to back up the Mount Vernon crew

and as we got on the Highway we hit a bump and lost all the Emergency

Lights, Siren, and Two Way Radios. As we got into Mount Vernon we hit

another bump and everything came back on. LOL!

Anyone remember the other 2 Dodge's 03 and 04.

06 had the Red Whelen Mini Lightbar w/ White Strobe in the middle as

seen in the pic.

03 or 04 was the same but had 2 Hot Shot Style Mini

Rotators on the back. 1 was Red and 1 was Blue.

Back then they were Empress Burgundy over White.

Looked Sharp!

Late 90's they were painted ALL White.

I also remember when Empress had dedicated City of Yonkers Ambulances

and Paramedic Fly Cars.

They carried a Yonkers PD portable (old Motorola Brick)

with the Modat ID.

Buses:

Ambulance 1

Ambulance 2

Ambulance 3

Fly Cars:

Medic 1 - Dodge Ram Unit 03 - I think?

Medic 2 - Dodge Ram Unit 04 - I think?

Medic Supervisor - Dodge Ram Unit 06

I got to ride Ambulance 3 with Anna Rodriguez ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

How about the EMS Station in the Parking Garage across from Yonkers General?

Next time you pass by that old metal garage door remember it. Old EMS Station.

One of the Ambulance Crew's use to sleep at Engine 311 at night.

Had a small room. Size of a closet. 2 Beds, Couch, PD Phone.

I think it was Ambulance 2?

post-3-1179124683.jpg

I started my Medic Career at Empress from 10/04-1996. Too many to go out there. Best partner and no offense if you were one of mine was AHMAD. Could find any street in the YO better then a map. Best Supervisor was DEF BUCK. Always had something funny to say. Met many great people there. Too bad management sucked and I had a big mouth to boot.

worked at Empress 9/86 - 5/01

loved every minute of it, especially NR and MV

would go back in a second if they paid a decent wage

recently rer-applied and the union capped wages at $25.50 for per-diems(medics). When I left in 2001 was earning $28.00/hr. Issue = how can you do the same job for less $. It is not like the jobs have gotten any easier.

EMS Medics must start demanding decent wages. At TMAD we pay $25.50/hr for a very easy schedule. If Empress paid a wage that was capatable with the work, would be back as an employee in a flash

Worked Empress 3/99-9/00. Miss talking to Captain Murphy in support services at the start of every shift. I worked various Ambulance shifts until I got Tac 3 with Kim Zerlonick (forgive me if I spelled it wrong) on Fridays then Tac 5 and 1 for a 24 hr shift with Luke Romanoski. I also dated my Amb. 19 partner for over 2 years. I miss the city but not the company. Also remember the Mirniva's (again forgive me on the spelling) at the hot dog cart out in the yard during EMS week. But the cruise from New Rochelle to NYC was fun that year!! Another fun time was trying to fuel the ambulances in the back when all the ambulettes were parked there at night.

Edited by orangEMT246

worked at Empress 9/86 - 5/01

loved every minute of it, especially NR and MV

would go back in a second if they paid a decent wage

recently rer-applied and the union capped wages at $25.50 for per-diems(medics).  When I left in 2001 was earning $28.00/hr.  Issue = how can you do the same job for less $.  It is not like the jobs have gotten any easier.

EMS Medics must start demanding decent wages.  At TMAD we pay $25.50/hr for a very easy schedule.  If Empress paid a wage that was capatable with the work, would be back as an employee in a flash

Standing by.................................

Well it seems that we all may have worked together at one point. I hated most of the people there. But I also had some great partners. So if I liked you hello and if I didn't like. Sorry, but I won't lose sleep over it.

I could go for a Bacon, Egg and Hot sauce from that deli on Tuckahoe Rd right about now. POST 5? Near CPA AND PALMER?

Well it seems that we all may have worked together at one point. I hated most of the people there. But I also had some great partners. So if I liked you hello and if I didn't like. Sorry, but I won't lose sleep over it.

I could go for a Bacon, Egg and Hot sauce from that deli on Tuckahoe Rd right about now. POST 5? Near CPA AND PALMER?

Bro! I still have hot sauce on my egg sammiches to this day!

(I stopped getting them on wedges at about 230#'s.....)