Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Dutchess County Unit Numbers

58 posts in this topic

Is anyone else extremely confused when reading an incident alert realted to Dutchess County? When I read the Westchester ones, for example, it is pretty clear what units are rolling...62B1 is a (B!)BLS ambulance, engine 149 is an engine, car 2031 is a chiefs car, etc.

What the heck is Dutchess 34-79, or 52-10 for example? Is that an ambulance, a fire truck, a fly car....what are they?

More importantly, is is hard for Dutchess County emergency services to know what all of these numbers mean?

Dutchess is perhaps one of, if not the easiest system for identifiers....once you understand it.

Each department is issued a number, starting at 31 (Amenia) and up through whatever they are at now.

The first number in ID is alway the department ID....

The second number is the type and nuber of the apparatus. There are too many here for me to list, but one of the copy and paste boys will have it on speed access I am sure...

One example is engines - they are in the low numbers...11 and up to 29 I think...

So engine 1 would be "11"

Amenia engine 1 is "31-11"

There is so much more to it - but bottom line is it is relativley simple, easy to understand and above all - it is uniform

is this the same in suffolk county they have 3 sets of #'s. example 1-5-1, this is one of east farmingdales engines but all of their apperatus starts with 1-5-then any# East Farmingdale Apparatus page that show stheir apparatus it dosent appear to have a system

Edited by ac316scu

Is anyone else extremely confused when reading an incident alert realted to Dutchess County? When I read the Westchester ones, for example, it is pretty clear what units are rolling...62B1 is a (B!)BLS ambulance, engine 149 is an engine, car 2031 is a chiefs car, etc.

http://emtbravo.net/index.php?act=Post&COD...082&p=89754&st=

EMTBravo Network Information Exchange -> Editing Post Dutchess County Unit Numbers

What the heck is Dutchess 34-79, or 52-10 for example? Is that an ambulance, a fire truck, a fly car....what are they?

More importantly, is is hard for Dutchess County emergency services to know what all of these numbers mean?

Well....

Here is a start, I will as more as it comes to me

The first number is the department ID:

31 - Amenia

32 - Arlington

33 - City of Beacon

34 - Beekman

35 - Chelsea

36 - Dover

37 - Dutchess Junction

38 - East Clinton

39 - East Fishkill

41 - Fairview

42 - Village of Fishkill

43 - Glenham

44 - Hillside

45 - Hughsonville

46 - Hyde Park

47 - LaGrange

48 - Milan

49 - Millbrook

51 - Millerton

52 - New Hackensack

53 - New Hamburg

54 - Pawling

55 - Pine Plains

56 - Pleasant Valley

57 - City of Poughkeepsie

58 - Red Hook

59 - Rhinebeck

61 - Rhinecliff

62 - Rombout

63 - Roosevelt

64 - Staatsburg

65 - Stanford

66 - Tivoli

67 - Union Vale

68 - Village of Wappingers

69 - Wassaic

71 - West Clinton

Ambulance providers are:

81 - Alamo

82 - Beacon Volunteer

83 - Used to be Sloper-Willen I believe

84 - Northern Dutchess

85 - TransCare (Town of Wappinger)

91 - Castle Point

92 - DC Airport

93 - Greenhaven Correctional

94 - Harlem Valley Psych Center (disbanded)

95 - Hudson River Psych Center (disbanded)

96 - IBM East Fishkill

97 - IBM Poughkeepsie

98 - Mattawan Correctional Facility (????)

99 - Wassaic Developmental Center (disbanded)

Any second number from:

1-6 is a chief officer

7-8 EMS Officer

11-19, 21-29 is an engine/pumper

31-39 is a tanker/tender

41-49 would technically be ladder, but only 45 and 46 tend to get used.

51-59 is rescues.

61-69 are utility/specialty vehicles (brush trucks, utilities, mechanics vehicles, squads etc...)

71-79 are BLS ambulances

81-89 are ALS ambulances (commercial and paid/combination department), I know that East Fishkill 39-81 is a hose truck/pumper, Union Vale 67-81 is Lazy Lay, hose reel truck, volunteer setting.

91-99 are specialty "vehicles"

Certain 90s are specific positions, including Safety Officer (95 I believe)

I cannot speak for any other departments, but I know that in East Fishkill, 10, 20, 30, 40, and 50 are commissioner IDs.

99s tend to be boats

A complete list used to be on Fordyce.org, but stupid hacker bitches had to screw that all up for us!!

Here is a link to list of all rigs broken down by department. This is partially accurate at least, a few inconsistencies though.

http://nf2g.com/scannist/ny_dutc/dutchess_fire.txt

Edited by xfirefighter484x

My partner, the "buffest", is answering this question but is not verified so click on the link:

Department Numbers for Dutchess County NY

These are the first 2 numbers of the units identifier.

The last 2 numbers are the type of apparatus and the number of that apparatus type...

1 = engine

2 =

3 = tanker

4 = ladder

5 = rescue

6 = utility type vehicle

7 = ambulance

8 =

9 = miscellaneous (support...trailers, marine (boats))

If it only has 1 last number...ie 39-1 it is the 1st chief....39-2 assistant chief and so on

Click below for further info:

How Dutchess Numbers their units Countywide (from NF2G)

31 - Amenia

32 - Arlington

33 - City of Beacon

34 - Beekman

35 - Chelsea

36 - Dover

37 - DUTCHESS JUNCTION

38 - East Clinton

39 - East Fishkill

41 - Fairview

42 - Village of Fishkill

43 - Glenham

44 - Hillside

45 - Hughsonville

46 - Hyde Park

47 - LaGrange

48 - Milan

49 - Millbrook

51 - Millerton

52 - New Hackensack

53 - New Hamburg

54 - Pawling

55 - Pine Plains

56 - Pleasant Valley

57 - CITY OF POUGHKEEPSIE, NOT Red Hook

58 - RED HOOK

59 - Rhinebeck

62 - Rombout

63 - ROOSEVELT

64 - STAATSBURG

65 - STANDFORD

67 - Union Vale

68 - WAPPINGERS

69 - WASSAIC

71 - WEST CLINTON

Thanks Ole129K!

I was going by memory, and messed up a few, not copying and pasting tongue.gif

To expand on what has already been said:

14 Dutchess County Emergency Control

31 Amenia

32 Arlington

33 City of Beacon

34 Beekman

35 Chelsea

36 Dover

37 Dutchess Junction

38 East Clinton

39 East Fishkill

41 Fairview

42 Village of Fishkill Protection Engine

43 Glenham

44 Hillside

45 Hughsonville

46 Hyde Park

47 LaGrange

48 Milan

49 Millbrook

51 Millerton

52 New Hackensack

53 New Hamburg

54 Pawling

55 Pine Plains

56 Pleasant Valley

57 City of Poughkeepsie

58 Red Hook

59 Rhinebeck

61 Rhinecliff

62 Rombout

63 Roosevelt

64 Staatsburg

65 Stanford

66 Tivoli

67 UnionVale

68 Wappingers

69 Wassaic

71 West Clinton

81 - Alamo

82 - Beacon VAC

84 - NDP

There are a few others such as IBM Emergency Control (97 I believe) and Castle Point VA (95)

1-6 - Chief Officer

7-8 - EMS Officer

9-10 - Shift Command (Commercial EMS Supervisor, Career Fire Duty Lt.)

11-19 - Engine

21-29 - Engine/Tanker

31-39 is a tanker/tender

41-49 would technically be ladder, but only 45 and 46 tend to get used.

51-59 is rescues. Supposed to be light rescues are low 50s, heavy rescue 55+.

61-69 are utility/specialty vehicles (brush trucks, utilities, mechanics, squads etc...)

70s are BLS Ambulances. The County wants to try a new system where ALS ambulances are 79, 78, 77 etc counting down. Hence Pawling 54-79.

81-89 are Medic Units, either a fly car (Fire or commercial EMS) or on board a Fire Dept. ambulance. I know that East Fishkill 39-81 is a hose truck/pumper, Union Vale 67-81 is Lazy Lay, hose reel truck.

91-99 are specialty "vehicles"

Certain 90s are specific positions, including Safety Officer, Fire Prevention Officer, MTO, other duty Lts.

I agree that this has to be one of the easier systems around. Anyone can easily surmise what type of apparatus is responding and from which agency.

I agree that this has to be one of the easier systems around. Anyone can easily surmise what type of apparatus is responding and from which agency.

I have always found this to be an easier numbering system than some other counties, i.e. 13-4-2

Each has their own points, it kind of makes sense the other systems, maybe its just because I am so used to the Dutchess numbering system that I prefer it.

I remember when we switched over...man I was not happy....

Turns out I liked it.....whodathunk?

Out of curiosity, why start at 31, instead of 1 or at least 11? Is there some historical reason?

is this the same in suffolk county they have 3 sets of #'s. example 1-5-1, this is one of east farmingdales engines but all of their apperatus starts with 1-5-then any#  East Farmingdale Apparatus page that show stheir apparatus it dosent appear to have a system

Suffolk County has split the county into 10 divisons, one for each town (except for Brookhaven, which is 5 and 5a). That's the first number. The second number is the department, and the third is the apparatus number. I'm not sure if there is an order to the third number.

City of Poughkeepsie calls their stuff Engine Company then the #...but they have their own dispatch right?

So once they go on a M/A run, does DC911 refer to them as a 57-# or Engine #?

I remember when we switched over...man I was not happy....

Turns out I liked it.....whodathunk?

Lol, KED348 to XYZ FD, Engine 1 respond for a.....

Out of curiosity, why start at 31, instead of 1 or at least 11? Is there some historical reason?

Probably leaves some room for restructuring should some company be created/disbanded???

Not quite sure the real reason for that though, interesting question. If someone else here knows and beats me to it, cool, but I will attempt to find out the same thing myself!!

City of Poughkeepsie calls their stuff Engine Company then the #...but they have their own dispatch right?

City of Pk has their own 911 system, which is the backup DC911 center in case 911 up on Creek Road has an issue, or God forbid an emergency of their own. For M/A, DC911 will contact and put out the County tones for City of Pk, and upon dispatch, they are referred to as "City of Poughkeepsie 57-11, 57-12, 57-14, -45, and -46" etc..., and I'm not 100% sure, but I believe they also get dispatched by City 911. Either way, they call out to both 911 centers to inform them of response.

Not quite sure how the m/a refers to them, whether as Pk E1, etc.... or as 57-11, etc...

I guess that depends on the person who is talking to them. For example, in Fairview, not sure if their career staff (who work along with Pk often) would refer to them by their DC designation, or their normal City designation

It ain't perfect, but I like ours.

Engine 123 - it's an Engine.

Rescue 7 - a Rescue.

Mini-Attack 28 - a Mini-Attack.

Doesn't seem like it can get easier to me...

It ain't perfect, but I like ours.

Engine 123 - it's an Engine.

Rescue 7 - a Rescue.

Mini-Attack 28 - a Mini-Attack.

Doesn't seem like it can get easier to me...

I guess after getting used to the numbers, you can relate "Oh, yea, Rescue 378, that belongs to ......"

At least up here, we can easily say "Oh, 52-32, thats New Hackensack's tanker."

I don't know, it seems to make sense to me at least. Keeps numbering low, and all numbers are uniform.

Not saying one is wrong, or better than the other! I don't want anyone thinking I am criticizing another numbering system.

Although ours is better LOLlaugh.giflaugh.giftongue.giftongue.gif

Not 100% sure but I believe that the DCPD's are also given department #'s. I'm pretty sure they account for 15 - 30.

To me the problem with the Westchester system is when you decide or have to expand your units and the numbers around you are taken. Throw in some of the departments where they give identifiers to units that are actually what they are calling them. I've seen engines called rescues, those that want to be "squads" for whatever reason.

With the numbering system like Putnam, Dutchess, Rockland and so on. You know what you are getting based on that 3rd number. Which when you learn it is a great resource management tool and typing tool. Believe me I wasn't a huge fan of it when I was younger and even I like some tradition but then I got used to it.

Also with the bigger agencies in Dutchess....you will here them call their ambulances "medic xx". Most of the xx 7 x are bls ambulances. Again its the system you work in. Even in Westchester the system is flawed. If you get involved in an incident and I am on xx B x...instead of my flycar...wouldn't that make it xx A x at that point?

......but I believe they also get dispatched by City 911......

For City fire M/A they do get dispatched by both 911 centers.

Edited by SPFC56-233

And too add I also believe that the "79" in dutchess county will be for the commercial ambulances @ Volunteer stations...which will switch from 73.

I.E. Millbrook 49-73 = 49-79

is this the same in suffolk county they have 3 sets of #'s. example 1-5-1, this is one of east farmingdales engines but all of their apperatus starts with 1-5-then any#  East Farmingdale Apparatus page that show stheir apparatus it dosent appear to have a system

Just to add on to your quote, in Suffolk the first number is the town number they area in, the second number is the fire department / district located in that town and the third number is the actual truck number. So the town of Babylon is number 3, Bayshore FD is number 1 and PENATAQUIT HOSE's engine is 3, so that trucks number is 3-1-3.

Still seems kind of confusing to me....guess you have to get used to it.

I mean saying to Dispatch "Vista Engine 141 Responding" is pretty clear and to the point. Saying 34-73 is tough for me because I would have to say "Ok what department is 34, and what does 73 correspond to as far as apparatus. But, to each his own I guess

I mean saying to Dispatch "Vista Engine 141 Responding" is pretty clear and to the point. Saying 34-73 is tough for me because I would have to say "Ok what department is 34, and what does 73 correspond to as far as apparatus. But, to each his own I guess

Yeah but if you worked or volunteered in a system that used all numbers, it wouldn't be as difficult. Once i started working up north, i picked it up in about one or two shifts. It took a little more time to figure out the fire departments however.

I have to agree its easier - for EMS in Putnam the ambulances are designated by agency # - 7 (which indicates ambulance) - 1, 2, etc. (indicates which ambulance - ambulance 1 or 2 of the fleet).

I think I posted on this before in the past, but when i was in college in Tompkins Co. (Ithaca) - their's was pretty straight forward....

First digits: 1...? Town name in Alphabetical order

Second digit: Apparatus type

0 - engine

3 - ladder

4 - rescue / utility

5 - ambulance

6 - officers

7 - portables

( don't remember after 20 years what the others were)

third digit: sequential numbering (ok, not always so sequential...)

so 951 was Ithaca's ambulance (provided by Bang's); 202 was Cayuga Heights' 2nd engine, etc.

Not 100% sure but I believe that the DCPD's are also given department #'s. I'm pretty sure they account for 15 - 30.

There is no uniform system.

East Fishkill Car 4, 7, 10, etc...

Town of Poughkeepsie operates their own frequency (800mHz trunked)

DC Sheriff - DC10, 42, etc.....

NYSP - 2K64, 2K46, etc...

Fishkill (forget if town or village) - Fishkill 607, 606, numbers in this range

Farther up north I have heard some units, like 1K37

There are no department IDs, only unit numbers, and like I said before, there is no unity for the numbering system.

Most of the time the department is said with the ID

"I.E. DC911 Pleasant Valley 56-12 is reponding"

And if you are dispatching and can't remember who has what identifier there is a problem...

Edited by SPFC56-233

Most of the time the department is said with the ID

"I.E. DC911 Pleasant Valley 56-12 is reponding"

And if are dispatching and can't remember who has what identifier there is a problem...

Unfortunately, I don't know any of the dispatchers.

For those of you who don't know, at the end of the dispatch, the dispatchers all speak the tiem, and their identifier.

"Pleasant Valley, 56-71 and Alamo, respond for a cardiac arrest, the ..... residence, #348 Blah Blah Road. Repeating to Pleasant Valley......

time now 1527, 1443."

Since Dutchess County's ID for the State OFPC is 14, all dispatchers IDs are 14-xx.

The county apparatus is also !4-xx, i.e. 14-59 is the County FIU, 14-69 is the County HazMat truck.

14-1 is County car 1, the director of DC911.

Also, zone "cars", county cars, like CC13 (14-13) cover zones, usually around 5 or 6 department areas, and on large scale incidents, usually structure fires, and any time mutual aid is dispatched, respond to the scene, and assist in communications with DC911 to arrange mutual aid, FIU, etc.

Whenever mutual aid (other than for EMS calls, unless and MCI), the directors tones, county car tones, are put out to inform them of the mutual aid assignments. It is the county car's discretion whether to go or not. Most times, the county car will go, just to assist and hopefully make operations go smoother with outside help.

They do not have county issued vehicles, they use their own vehicles, but are authorized red lights and sirens only for the purpose of running as the county car.

Their role is not to take over the scene, they are merely an intermediary, supposed to take that burden off of the IC.

70s are BLS Ambulances. The County wants to try a new system where ALS ambulances are 79, 78, 77 etc counting down. Hence Pawling 54-79.

that is the current system, they are going to use the agencys ID's with bls units having a unique ID

Poughkeepsie uses Engine 1, Ladder 1, Rescue 1, car 1, car 2, ect when they are only dealing with jobs with City 911.

I mean saying to Dispatch "Vista Engine 141 Responding" is pretty clear

Yes it is until you can have:

Engine 1

Ladder 1

Tower Ladder 1

Rescue 1

Utility 1

Marine 1

Fire Boat 1

Potentially all on the air at the same time. Or again when a department that can't get over a simple number has engine xxx and it has no pump or some other crazy designation that doesn't fit its capability.

Yes - the City of Poughkeepsie is a whole different animal than the county..............

Both systems work quite well and there is always a smooth transitoion during mutual aid.....

And now that the "Croft Corners Broadcast Company" relocated to North carolina - there is a LOT more available air time on BOTH agencies radios!