Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Oswegowind

HRPC Fire (Dutchess) 5-31-07

51 posts in this topic

Is that the scary old Psych Hospital that has been empty forever? I may or may not know people who have walked around in there at night and still have nightmares.... (Not me, an old friend)

4th Alarm, with 3 Engine's from Ulster

The East Fishkill unit on scene in Fairview is 39-46 (tower ladder). 39-45 was East Fishkill's snorkel, but has been gone for a number of years now.

Damn, they called 39-46 all the way from EF?

Figures, during the time I am suspended!! 2 second alarms for EF in one day, then mutual aid halfway across the county in just one week!

mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

suspended? Must have been a bad boy tongue.gif

Can anyone confirm if the fire building was the old psyche building on that plot off Rt 9? I'm not one for ghost stories, but i heard that place was legitimately haunted w/ dead patients or something. Didn't Marist College want to purchase this lot and use it as a dormitory?

This was the former Administration building, apx. 150 x 100 4 story block and concrete building built in 1871. There was at least half of the fire departments in Dutchess County as well as 5 or 6 from Ulster.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I just walked in the door from this fire. From what I heard while walking past DC911's mobile command post it went to 6 alarms before it was all said and done. They are going to be there for several more hours this morning and I feel bad for anyone trying to go on RT 9 this morning even with the majority of the 5" lines getting picked up people will be going slow to try to get a glimps of the building even though you can't realy seee it from the road.

Poughkeepsie Tower Ladder 2 special called back to scene at this time.

who else has been called to the scene that is not in the IA?

They toned out a bunch of departments for manpower to assemble at their respective houses....I would imagine there will be quite a bit of LDH to pick up....

Sorry I missed this one.

At approx 11pm last night I heard Hughsonville with one engine to staging at Home Depot.

This place def had to be haunted, found some pics click here

This place def had to be haunted, found some pics click here

Good find!

And a great answer to how they had fire on 6 floors of a "3 story" building wink.gif

Interesting Pictures. That is some big a** place.

Kinda reminds me of One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

I am guessing either the Ghosts started it or maybe just maybe squatters.

just before the fire was reported there was a strong thunder strom that rolled through the area and all ladder ops were suspended at least once due to lightning several hours into the fire. I don't know how much of an investigation they are going to be able to conduct due to the condition this building was in before the fire and the high fire load in the building.

Was this anything like the Kings College fire? (for those of you back here in Westchester)

Here are a few shots of the incident and below are links to all my photo's of Fairviews fire at HRPC. This was actually a difficult fire to photograph. The buildings were heavily overgrown with trees and brush which made clear shots all but impossible.... I have to say that this fire had a lot of firsts for me.... I have never been to an incident with Six master streams in operation simultaneously, I have never seen a "vertical trench cut" in a building to stop fire spread, and I have never left a fire while it was still "ripping". The walk to the scene was ~1 mile and the buildings are so big, it took me 15 or 20 minutes to walk from the front of the building to the rear...... I was fortunate on the walk up that a Medic from Alamo saw me with all me gear and said "I can give you a ride up in the front now or a ride in the back later" to which I responded "Uh, I'll take the ride in the front" - I saw her several times at the scene and thanked here each time.... The walk up is entirely up hill and with all my crap, it probably would have killed me to walk the entire way.... This fire proved the value of a properly implemented incident command system as well as the efficiency of Dutchess Counties 911 Dispatch Center. This was most likely one of the largest mutual-aid incidents in Dutchess County history with departments from most of Dutchess County as well numerous units from Ulster as well and I think pretty much everything went without a hitch with little or no chaos..... I finally left the scene around 1 AM and they had decided to let the one section burn up to the point where they had trenched the building.... As I was driving away you could see the glow for miles....... Enjoy the photo's.... I know there are a lot to go through but I think you'll find it worth it...... Bill

All photos copyright 2007 Bill Johnson /FD Photounit.com - Not to be used w/o permission.

user posted image

View as I approached the scene. The 5" line ran approximately 1 mile to a hydrant the Home Depot lot. Roosevelt was the boost pumper and Arlington 32-15 was at the hydrant.

user posted image

CC-15 - "It's Gonna be a long night"

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Edited by Photounit

Here are some more......

All photos copyright 2007 Bill Johnson /FD Photounit.com - Not to be used w/o permission.

user posted image

Fairview and Hyde Parks ladder operate at the front of the building and successfully stopped the fire from spreading to the adjoining exposure

user posted image

New Hamburg 53-11 operates at the front of the fire building supplying Hyde Park 46-45 and New Hamburgs 53-45

user posted image

user posted image

I hope he got a good shot.....

user posted image

City of Poughkeepsies American LaFrance was one of three ladders operating at the rear of the building. Roosevelt 63-45 and Arlington 32-46 were the other two

Edited by Photounit

And the last.......

Plus links to all the photo's

Links to all the photo's

Slideshow -

http://FDPhotounit.smugmug.com/photos/sspo...AlbumID=2934697

Gallery -

http://FDPhotounit.smugmug.com/gallery/2934697/9/158419873

user posted image

New Hamburg FireFighters return their ground ladder to 53-45

user posted image

An excavator from Gleason Excavating makes a vertical trench cut in the side of the building. With no way of stopping the fire from spreading, command made the decision to make a cut here and shifted all defensive resources to this point successfully stopping the fire here.

user posted image

The "Water Boys" from Arlington Station 5 strike a quick pose.....

Edited by Photounit

Awesome pics thanks

WOW Whata fire

Bill, Nice job sir.

It's amazing that at different times, we took similar photos from the same spots! That was definitely one for the scrap books!

does anyone know what is still operating at the fire scene since it has been 24 hours +

Also intersting to think but this is the second major fire at a historic mental hospital under going renovations in a month and a half (Danvers, Ma. 4/7/07)