x635

Monster Bumper

45 posts in this topic

Never seen anything like this before:

[attachmentid=2973]

post-11-1182702142.jpg

A tilt bumper or is it fixed??????? huh.gif

Edited by IzzyEng4

Is that two preconnected hand lines, two preconnected hydraulic tools, a monitor and a floodlight? Did I miss anything else?

A tilt bumper or is it fixed???????  huh.gif

Tilt. Goes back to regular bumper position when not needed.....

It think it is a Crimson from Hubbartson FD

[attachmentid=2974]

And another view...

[attachmentid=2976]

post-11-1182703622.jpg

post-11-1182703959.jpg

that is a great idea. Is this a pierce engine?

What happens when that bumper gets bumped? I hope its not the chaufers fault, cause thats gonne be expensive and going to piss off the check writters.

Looks like a Spartan I think

Great Idea but again it will really suck if it gets damaged or malfunctions in any way

If anything fails like the hydraulic lines or the monitor or the preconnects it will be a waste of space

Also.....are those the only preconnects or are those others on the rig

I would also like to know the area that this rigs service.....it seems like a little much for a volunteer department that wont see that many runs but a department with a large service area and with many runs thsi rig could be perfect

Edited by bvfdjc316

that is a great idea. Is this a pierce engine?

Town of Hubbardston - MA

Hubbardston, MA

Delivery Date: 4/19/2007

Series: Star series

Model: Rear mount Pumper

Chassis: Sparatan Gladiator

Specifications:

Rear mount control panel

Hale 3000 gpm pump

Pro Poly 2000 gallon tank

Hypro Foam Pro 2002 foam system

Onan 15.0 Kw generator

Robinson roll up doors

Stainless steel body

This info was found on the Crimson site

Town of Hubbardston - MA

Hubbardston, MA

Delivery Date: 4/19/2007

Series: Star series

Model: Rear mount Pumper

Chassis: Sparatan Gladiator

Specifications:

Rear mount control panel

Hale 3000 gpm pump

Pro Poly 2000 gallon tank

Hypro Foam Pro 2002 foam system

Onan 15.0 Kw generator

Robinson roll up doors

Stainless steel body

This info was found on the Crimson site

http://www.crimson-fire.com/crimson/recent...?DeliveryID=723

Here is the link to the picture

Is that two preconnected hand lines, two preconnected hydraulic tools, a monitor and a floodlight? Did I miss anything else?

Glassmaster in the lid....but to your credit its only really visible in the second picture..

biggrin.gif

I can see it now......firefighters forced to swap out bumper for snow plow during down time in the winter...........

I saw this today at the show up in mass ...pretty cool but seems a little too much. The bumper moves by air

I could be wrong, but it seems a little overkill to me.

Do you have a pic of what it looks like with the bumper down? Then i would be able decide if i like it or not lol.

here is a bumper down pic

I dont get this rig really.....the design applications confuse me alot

post-3705-1182726497.jpg

Is there a pump panel behind the first roll up door?

Not a fan

Edited by NRFDTL11Buff

Talk about lowering the hose bed. just right for us old guys.I could get the nozzel without jumping up laugh.giflaugh.gif

Talk about a do everything apparatus. Thank god they are in Mass. cause you probably need a degree from M.I.T to operate it biggrin.gif

Not sure if I like it, but it does have a few nice concepts from what I can see in the pictures. I would like to see the compartment layout and the rear of the truck.

3000 GPM WTF?!? They must have some crazy $hit in their response area (ie. industrial) or SOMETHING to warrant that monster pump!

While everyone might not like every aspect of the Hubbardston "Beast" it is filled with innovative ideas. I believe you'll find Crimson asked to "play" with the front bumper and the lifting unit was the final product they received (not necessarily designed by the Dept.) Here's a short list of some of the innovations or "newer" ideas I saw:

*well laid out rear mount pump panel (including CAFs)

*donut style bumper loads (easily loaded and pulled)

*best use of real estate

-air bags in wheel well area (7 bags plus PW extinguisher)

- multiple bottles in the same area ahead of the wheel wells (4 bottles)

- oil dry hopper in area behind rear wheel

- 3 extinguishers ahead of drivers side rear duals

- tools mounted by seating positions (including hook on the officers seat)

- hoseload under the rear bench seats (connected???)

* preconnected "squirrel tail suction" for that monster pump!

* side directionals area angled out so other motorists can see them when they're coming up along side

* safety camera system switches to side views with turn signal actuation

* Officers 911 seat has seatbelt that starts on your left and clips in at the right so you don't fight to find the receiver against the doghouse (maybe a standard option now)

* bumper rolls of 2.5" and 1.75" in rear compartment for easy deployment.

This truck is due to be lettered and striped on Tuesday. Full Battenburg pattern! Definitely a real eye catcher!! I've got some pics of some of the ideas they used, I'll try to post them later.

This could also fall into the Thread: When is Big to Big, this is exactly why rigs are costing what they are today, how many engineers did they have to pay to design that 1 rig, and how many repeat sales do you think will come from that design???

Way too much! Laugh of the day stuff, the bumper, that is. smile.gif

Interesting...definately a new concept. I am not sure if I like it or not, I need to see more pictures, preferably of the rear pump panel and of some of the new features that were mentioned.

Pros:

Easily accessible preconnects for rapid deployment with limited staffing.

More water for the rural setting without hydrants.

Rear-mounted pump allows MPO to see around truck and see action.

Function Vs. Form is what I think they were going for here, having everything within reach of the FF's so they exit the rig ready to roll.

Cons:

Pneumatic tilt bumper? Lots can go wrong with that, and are the technicians coming to the house to fix the problems or will the truck need to go to the plant and be taken out of service?

More additional PM issues to deal with, by adding the pneumatic cylinders. Maybe just a fixed bumper would be better.

Something like this needs to be tested "Hands-On" for me to be able to make a difinitive decision, pictures only go so far. Good pictures though!! biggrin.gif

Man......how did everyone get by before the overloaded tilt bumper came to the rescue....

Has everyone forgotten the "K.I.S.S." theory?

Well, since one "adoring fan" was able to break the auto-opening/closing mechanism just by closing it at the show yesterday, I would have to say it seems a bit fragile for actual duty.

-on a side note, does anyone remember the manufacturer of the aerial that was behind this truck that had a fast ascending speed and a self-leveling turret?

Edited by Slayer61

3000 GPM WTF?!? They must have some crazy $hit in their response area (ie. industrial) or SOMETHING to warrant that monster pump!

The Hubbardston Fire Department is a combination paid and paid-on-call department with two full-time Firefighter/ Paramedics on duty, Monday through Sunday, 7:00a.m. to 6:00p.m., In addition to the Fire Chief, call Firefighters respond to calls when needed during the day and to all calls during non-regular work hours of the full-time staff.

The Department is divided into three service divisions:

Fire Services Division is responsible for all planning and delivery of Fire Suppression, Fire Prevention, Fire Investigation, Public Fire Education, Public Services, and non-EMS emergencies, such as Hazardous Material responses.

EMS Services Division is responsible for all planning and delivery of Emergency and Non-Emergency Medical Services, including responding to Emergency Medical Calls and Public Medical Education. The Hubbardston Fire Department offers both Basic and Advanced Life Support transport services with two licensed Ambulances.

Emergency Management Division is responsible for creating and maintaining the Emergency Management Plan for the town and providing for working across agencies in resolving disaster emergencies.

May 2007 Run Total

Fire / Explosion 3

Overpressure Rupture 0

Rescue Call 32

Hazardous Condition 9

Service Call 6

Good Intent Call 7

False Call 5

Severe Weather/Natural Disaster 0

Special Type/Complaint0Undetermined 0

Town Statistics

POPULATION - 4,505 (12/31/04)

REGISTERED VOTERS - 2726

SCHOOL ENROLLMENT

Center School - 474

Quabbin Regional Middle / High School - 1,366

TAX RATE - $10.86

OPERATING BUDGET - $5,143,251

FORM OF GOVERNMENT

Open town meeting

3 Selectboard Members

AREA - 41.03 square miles

ROAD MILES - 88

Hubbardston is located in the hill country of Central Massachusetts bordered by Gardner and Westminster to the northeast, Princeton and Rutland on the southeast. Barre borders on the southwest, and Phillipston and Templeton border on the northwest.

Hubbardston is 19 miles northwest of Worcester and 56 miles northwest of Boston.

No public water or sewer

I actually like the idea, makes the equipment more accesible.

As far as the capabilties of this engine go, from what I understand this Engine will be the first to roll to anything and everything in the district, and sometimes the neighhboring towns take a while to get there or it takes them a while to get another apparatus out.

So this is kind of a do-it-all type of apparatus designed around the needs of the department. Kudos for innovation, looks like they thought more about function then looks.