Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jps385

Putnam Legislature votes to cut ALS

98 posts in this topic

At last nights legislature meeting the county decided it could not afford the increased cost of ALS and voted to no longer fund the service. If nothing changes this means that as of 10/1 there will be no medics or daytime BLS ambulances available for the county. Political games may potentially cost the county a vital service.

Unbelieveable... talk about taking a step 20 years in the wrong direction... EMS agencies in Putnam County should ban together and utilize the media to inform the public what disastrous consequences this could have on healthcare in Putnam County. As a Putnam County resident myself, I'll voice my opinion very loudly. Looks like I'll have to get the local taxi company on speed dial instead of 911. What a joke.

Unbelieveable... talk about taking a step 20 years in the wrong direction... EMS agencies in Putnam County should ban together and utilize the media to inform the public what disastrous consequences this could have on healthcare in Putnam County. As a Putnam County resident myself, I'll voice my opinion very loudly. Looks like I'll have to get the local taxi company on speed dial instead of 911. What a joke.

You can always just call for the BLUE TAXI. It is the rest of COUNTY that is SCREWED.

When will the politicians realize that to fund the service is cheaper in the long run. The first lawsuit that is won will probably cost much more than the EMS budget. Way to take care of your constituents. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

JPS, your announcement is not wholly accurate. The volunteer agencies still exist; there simply is no more paid backup element on the eastern half of the county. Now, whether or not the volunteer agencies step up to the challenge or can even meet this challenge is a different story. My biggest concerns are as follows:

1 - Now, "driver alone" isn't going to make the cut, will the volunteer agencies be able to handle the call volume?

2 - More and more EMTs are Paramedic dependent and they do exist in Putnam like everywhere else, how will this effect patient care?

3 - On the western side of the County, in particular, hospital transports are particularly lengthy. For those 30 or so percent of calls that go ALS, certain patients can be directly influenced with ALS intervention. I'm concerned that patient outcome is going to take a nose dive.

It's a shameful and unfortunate outcome, for sure. At the County level, things are surely becoming more and more of a joke. However, i think that certain towns or even agencies will step up to the challenge and contract out their own ALS resources. How long that can be sustained on that level, I am not sure. Only time will tell.

Edited by Goose

JPS, your announcement is not wholly accurate. The volunteer agencies still exist; there simply is no more paid backup element on the eastern half of the county. Now, whether or not the volunteer agencies step up to the challenge or can even meet this challenge is a different story. My biggest concerns are as follows:

1 - Now, "driver alone" isn't going to make the cut, will the volunteer agencies be able to handle the call volume?

2 - More and more EMTs are Paramedic dependent and they do exist in Putnam like everywhere else, how will this effect patient care?

3 - On the western side of the County, in particular, hospital transports are particularly lengthy. For those 30 or so percent of calls that go ALS, certain patients can be directly influenced with ALS intervention. I'm concerned that patient outcome is going to take a nose dive.

It's a shameful and unfortunate outcome, for sure. At the County level, things are surely becoming more and more of a joke. However, i think that certain towns or even agencies will step up to the challenge and contract out their own ALS resources. How long that can be sustained on that level, I am not sure. Only time will tell.

Your are correct, I was reffering to the daytime BLS coverage which is utilized 3-10 times per day on the East side of the county. If the stands some of the towns will arrive at their own soultions, however those are probably the towns that haven't ignored the BLS problem for years. (But at least we have a golf course and horse farm!)

You can always just call for the BLUE TAXI. It is the rest of COUNTY that is SCREWED.

Very true ONEEYED... thank god... I should keep a set of ALS gear in my house.. I'd be better off treating myself in the back of a car...

I...I....I...I'm at a loss for words :angry: . Absolutely outrageous. First I lose my local PD over personalities and now this :(

As for 1, that should be a last resort type deal. Local volunteer agencies are going to have to push additional members to certify as EMT's. Its better that too many guys show up than not enough.

As for 2, maybe that's a good thing. There are wwwaaaayyyy to many EMT's in Putnam/Westchester/etc who feed off the medics. EMT's have their own set of training and at least in theory should be ready to handle calls, that would normally require ALS support, on their own. This means that in those situations where additional drugs or interventions could really help, the patient misses out, but it doesn't mean that the EMT's can't step up and make a difference. Take out the oiler and get the rust off your airway management skills. Learn to use medical direction more frequently. In many different parts of this country ALS is a luxury.

It is a shame however that political nonsense deprives the patient of proper care and that the difference will be felt in some very critical moments. Hopefully this whole thing is adverted and perhaps some EMT's will consider brushing up on some less used skills "just in case".

I wonder how long that will last and how many people will have to die before Putnam decides they need a medic service. Can PCBES insure volunteer EMTs who get trained in ALS? I know that my department, New Fairfield, CT right over the border does not insure EMTs above the Intermediate level. That really seems like the only plausible solution, but you still have the problem of staffing during daytime hours. Sounds like we'll be doing alot more mutual aid for BLS runs during the day, its really rediculous when politicians put a price on human lives.

Public safety loses out to the strength of the almighty dollar yet again. Where were the dissenting opinions of the Fire/EMS Coordinators?? How about the chiefs of various departments/VAC's??

20 years backward?? That's putting it lightly.

20 years backward?? That's putting it lightly.

Well, since paramedic service started in the United States in 1969, that would make it 38 years....I don't know when it was started in that area

Absolutely disgraceful. What exactly are my putnam taxes going for?

Response times in putnam were already bad enough but at least you'd have a medic (most of the time) to bridge the gap until a transport unit gets there. If the County won't step up and do the right thing now it falls on the eleven EMS agencies in the county to do the right thing and I'm sure that will result in eleven different proposals.

Please, anyone with info, keep us posted as this develops!

To the Putnam Legisture: I've worked in Putnam in my younger years and know what fine people live there. They deserve the protection of a good EMS System that includes ALS. As a retired firefighter I've seen the difference a Paramedic and /or quick EMT response can make. My daughter and her family who live in Putnam should have the same great EMS service that we have in Yorktown! My tax bill is higher but I'm getting what I pay for. (usually.) Wake Up Putnam Legislature! It's the 21st Century.

Absolutely disgraceful!

Advanced Life Support works best and means the most in rural/suburban communities such a Putnam, where tricky roads and long hospital transport times are the norm.

I hope that all agencies in Putnam County, Fire EMS AND PD, come together and hold a rally and bring public awareness to the Putnam legistrature's decision to take away a vital service from its residents.

I'd also like to see the State Attorney Generals Office do an investigation into Putnam County's finances. Something's not right.

It should be law that counties are responsible for providing Advanced Life Support or ALS funding, that way situations such as this can't occur.

It should be law that counties are responsible for providing Advanced Life Support or ALS funding, that way situations such as this can't occur.

Seth,

We're having the same type of problem regarding fire protection. The County Board of Supervisors state they do not have to provide protection as it is not stated on the county charter. So, for some residents in the unicorporated areas, a delapilated engine of 1950's-1960's era and maybe 5 volunteers are it. And don't even get me started on EMS coverage for those people.

Nice. Unbelievable.

So basically this means that ALS systems that serve areas that Putnam BLS agencies have to pass through to get to hospitals will be picking up the burden for Putnam County through intercepts. We'll see how long that lasts. I'm all for helping when needed, but I don't see how the system I work in should have to pick up jobs from another county as well.

Wake up citizens of Putnam...

Even more important wake up providers of Putnam County and that means all disciplines of emergency service. It effects you guys as well. Now is the time to see how politically strong you all are and hopefully the nay sayers who often gave nothing but a hard time to some of the providers and companies trying to give it will shut it up or be shut up.

Together you stand divided you fall.

Sounds to me that the Cortlandt, Yorktown & Northern Westchester Medics will be doing A LOT OF MUTUAL AID.

I think this might actually be the dumbest thing I have heard recently.

Wow......I feel sorry for my family and friends living in Bodunk.....I mean Putnam. ALS is an option?! Good God Man!

Well Im glad I have been filling out those apps. I hope this isnt the end. I do have one question. Is it or isnt it true that if Putnam gives up there ALS & THE SQUADS have no ALS affil, doesnt the AEDs, EPI PENS, Asprin, & Albuteral come off the BLS truck? As I read the prots ALS is a requirement to use these Items. Oh boy we got alot of work to do. I offer still stands.

Any of these County Legs willing to get out of there chairs and ride with me for a shift?

WHY CANT WE ALL GET ALONG

Sounds to me that the Cortlandt, Yorktown & Northern Westchester Medics will be doing A LOT OF MUTUAL AID.

Wow......I feel sorry for my family and friends living in Bodunk.....I mean Putnam. ALS is an option?! Good God Man!

I'm not so sure about mutual aid. If a municipality does not offer a service, it is not mutual. I don't know if medics can be requested into an area that does not provide the service. I believe General Municipal Law may address the point. In county intercepts, perhaps, but by then the hospital is only a few minutes out so the value is less.

There's still a lot we can do with old technology up in the hills. I've got willow bark, foxglove, deadly nightshade, monk's hood right in the front yard. That, single malt and eye of newt.....

I can only hope that the County Exec or the legislature comes to its senses. Please, everyone, work the phones. We have 53 days. Orpi has a good point as well. Absent ALS we will need an opinion from DOH as to whether we can keep our 'BLS' drugs. That would be just awful to lose medics and the ability to compensate.

What's MUTUAL about it? When Yorktown first started and they were the only ALS in that part of the County didn't they decline intercept requests because there was no mutual in the aid? Now at least, they can get Somers or Cortlandt or Putnam (for now) as a mutual aid resource.

I wouldn't blame any of the Westchester providers if they refuse to do intercepts for Putnam BLS - why should Westchester's resources and tax dollars also support Putnam County when Putnam doesn't even care enough to do the right thing.

Would anyone else be willing to attend the next several Putnam Legislature meetings to voice their discontent? As a Putnam taxpayer I will certainly be contacting my legislator and I hope everyone else does too!

Putnam County can't afford ALS, but can afford to run a Golf Course thats losing money, go figure.

So if there is a Cardiac Arrest There will be no ALS to help assist the life.

SAD, SAD, SAD

Assuming that this report is correct, it is not only a disgrace, it is criminal !

Having said that, I suspect this is political posturing between the legislature and the County Executive.

ALS is very important to Bob Bondi, CE, and the County Legislators want to rid themselves of the Putnam National Golf Course, another Bondi favorite.

Watch carefully what happens after Bondi submits his proposed 2008 budget in September. Things should get real interesting !

I suspect that there is a compromise to be made.

Now, Now...lets calm down. As long as no one in Putnam has.....an allergic reaction, asthma, ANY cardiac related problems, seizures, severe bleeding, hypo or hyperglycemia, or any other ALS type problem, we should all be fine.......NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is not right, and something needs to be done...and quick!!

What a Revoltin' Developement this is!!!!!!!!! As a current Putnam resident and member of a FD that covers a small part of the county, I find this absolutely REDICLULOUS!!!!!!!!! Somebody has a severe case of cranial analitis! and they better get over it and quick!!!!!

As MPACE2-299 said they can't afford ALS , but they can afford a golf course that keeps losing money? Assinine!!! It's high time to put the football back on the field and get it out of politics!!! JMHO!!!

I think we are all on the same page with this horrible showing of political monopoly... I dont wish anything bad upon anyone but , it will come down to one of the Putnam County Board Members or there families to be unconcious or in cardiac arrest before the papers get signed... How many innocent lives will have been lost by then?????? Putnam County is playing a very big game at the Tax Payers expense...... Let them vote on what ALS provider they want and what they will pay for lord knows they work hard for it let them decide not the white collars in suits who sit behind the desks and dont even know what doing C.P.R or working up a trauma is like.....

All I can say is to the Residents in Putnam County best of luck!!! and I hope it works out for you as I have loved ones in your County as well

Edited by beentheredonethat

I'd also like to see the State Attorney Generals Office do an investigation into Putnam County's finances. Something's not right.

Yeah, i'll second that. Seems the county had enough cash to buy a horse farm and a country club - both of which must cost thousands to run and maintain.

Likewise, i want to know if the county has the legal authority to establish ALS as a standard...and now simply deciding to no longer provide it. If this doesn’t get resolved in the next 60 or so days your going to start seeing the same insane 20+ minute response times WITHOUT any intervention (aside from maybe PD) and people will begin to unduly suffer.

I am pulling my suit out now. I will see yall at the next Legislature meeting and call up and make these politicians lives horrible until they answer my questions.

Anybody else sense a lawsuit coming from this?

Mike

Edited by Future Fireman