Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Westchester County DES New Hazmat 1

14 posts in this topic

Westchester County Department Of Emergency Services has taken delivery of a new Hazmat 1. It's a 2007 Spartan/Hackney, and the front line piece for Westchester County DES's Hazmat team.

Looks good! DES is really coming along quite nicely, and seemingly getting the funding they should have.

I got some spy shots of the new HazMat 1. They can be found on http://www.emtbravo.com

Anyone know why it is a different color scheme than the Tech Rescue Squad?

Anyone know why it is a different color scheme than the Tech Rescue Squad?

I think that came with the black roof

They got the Tech Rescue from Soyossett (sp?) FD on Long Island. It already had the Black/Red Schene

Hey DES!!! That IS a nice rig!!!!! Good luck with it!!!!!!

looks sweet, what happened to the old one?

I'm actually curious to know that myself. I hope they keep it as at least a support unit. It would make a great scene support unit, with rehab supplies, etc.

I have a question about it though... what's the purpose for the wide-angle mirror hanging over the nose of the truck in front of the passenger?? I could understand it on the rear of the truck to see that all is closed but the front???

I have a question about it though... what's the purpose for the wide-angle mirror hanging over the nose of the truck in front of the passenger?? I could understand it on the rear of the truck to see that all is closed but the front???

Probably so the driver can keep an eye on the supplies on the front bumper

Although the vehicle has spot mirrors (below standard side mirrors), the left front corner can be somewhat easily viewed due to its proximity to the driver, either by leaning over the dash, or peeking out the window.

The opposing corner is a blind spot not covered by the spot mirrors below the Pass. side side mirror.

Thats just my guess.

If you look at FDNY R-1, they have that same mirror type on the new rig.

FDNYR001.jpg

The older Rescue 1 also had these on both sides!

FDNYR001-B.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x

That mirror appears to be standard on all apparatus in the past two years. The mirror is a big help when you're trying to nose up to an object when trying to turn around in a tight spot or cut a turn in a tricky corner. You don't realize how much help it is until you don't have it.

I'm actually curious to know that myself. I hope they keep it as at least a support unit. It would make a great scene support unit, with rehab supplies, etc.

I thought I saw it at the County Center on Sunday, Fairview had U-7 and the trailer out front and I thought I saw it with them there.

More information on this unit is available on Hackney's website, including additional photos

http://www.rescueleader.com/deliveries/hyres_westchester.htm

WESTCHESTER COUNTY

DEPARTMENT OF EMERGENCY SERVICES

White Plains, New York

Westchester County is bordered by New York City to the south, Long Island Sound to the east and the Hudson River to the west and the State of Connecticut to the north. Protecting a major commerce center keeps this Hazardous Materials Team busy.

Westchester County chose a 21.5-ft Hackney DFC1373ADS body that features 13 ground level compartments and three roof compartments totaling 980 cu.ft. of storage capacity. Access to the roof compartments is made safe and easy via Hackney’s exclusive Automatic Deploy Staircase (ADS).

Full body length awnings are provided on both sides of the body with enclosure curtain provisions.

A 25,000 watt PTO generator is located in the left front compartment, fully protected from the salt overspray prevalent in the coastal region. It powers flood lights in the upper left and right side body, rear tripod flood lights, portable flood lights; two cord reels with 200-ft 10/4 cable, and all power for the cab command center and SATCOm systems.

All tall compartments are provided with Hackney’s exclusive drop-down step platform, providing an 11” deep Grip-Strut surface to reach the upper storage areas.

A 95 gallon overpack drum can be stored in the lower side compartments for easy deployment due to 40” lower compartment depth. A slide-out Speedi-Dry hopper is installed behind the right rear wheels that will hold up to 80 lbs. of granular material.

The rear of the cab is configured to provide a two-man command and logistics center with stainless steel slide-out desk, cabinets towers each side of desk and library shelf above the desk.

A slide-out rack is provided that will accommodate twelve (12) complete SCBA’s. All NFPA warning lights, tail lights, traffic advisor light bar, clearance lights and compartment lights are LED.

I think that mirror thing is a DOT reg....all big trucks are getting them now, not just fire apparatus...not sure though!

Great looking "rig", County is getting all sorts of new toys these past few years, fire and police. When is EMS gonna get a MERV??????