He Is Survived By His Wife, Linda, Son Ryan, And K-9 Partner Duncan

WAKE: Joseph J Smith Funeral Home

692 Route 6 Mahopac NY

Sunday November 18th 20007 and Monday November 19th 2007

2 PM - 4 PM and 7PM - 9 PM

FUNERAL: Saint James Church

Route 52 Carmel NY

Tuesday November 20th 10AM

Another tragic, untimely loss in Putnam County. Darrell was well known by many, and will be missed. Thoughts and prayers are with you, your family, and

friends. RIP.

Yes, another unfortunate and untimely death for Putnam. While everyone is still in mourning for Matt Lamb, they will now also mourn the loss of Chief Burris. What a shame.

R.I.P. Chief

Cold Spring's top cop killed in car accident in Carmel

By ROB RYSER

THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: November 16, 2007)

CARMEL - The 38-year-old Carmel family man and commanding officer of the Cold Spring Police Department is being mourned this morning after dying in a car crash last night.

A towering figure rarely seen without a smile or his police dog, Duncan, Darrell Burris was the village's only full-time officer.

There were few details released early this morning about the circumstances of the fatal crash at Drewville Road and West Shore Drive shortly before 7:30 p.m.

There was no indication that the crash was anything other than an accident, police said.

Officers who knew Burris said he was a youthful, amiable and a quality man.

"He was one of the good guys and this happens to him," said Putnam County Undersheriff Peter Convery.

Thoughts and Prayers to his family, friends and the Cold Spring PD. May God's Perpetual Light shine upon him and may He grant them the strength to get through this difficult time.

Rest in Peace Sarge

Edited by 999

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends. RIP Chief

Rest in Peace. My condolences to your family and loved ones. I am sure you were a true asset to your community

Darrell,

Rest In Peace. I am going to miss you. I have had a lot of fun talking with you & helping you get your stuff together getting the K9 program up & going. We will miss you

My condolences to the chief’s family and his officers, and may God rest his soul.

Rest in Peace Darrell. I am at a total loss for words right now. We've done tons of jobs together and you've alway been right there with us. I remember when you and Duncan graduated the K-9 academy, the both of you were so excited and that time i took you down to HVHC for a dog bite and your legs barely cleared the back doors of the bus. I'm gonna miss you man.

I worked with Darrell at Manhattanville College Campus Safety before he went on to become Chief. Knowing him back then pains me even more with the thought of how much the Chief's job meant to him. Also his wife and son. I am utterly devistated at this loss as well as anyone who came in contact with this gentleman.

Godspeed Darrell.

Truly another sad day.

Chris

WOW unbelivable. Darrell was a great guy. I did many a call with Darrell in the day. Darrell was always a class act, always willing to give you hand on any EMS job. I don't even know what to say right now. Rest in peace. God bless you, your family, friends, the officers of CSPD, and Duncan. Gonna miss ya man.

Another bright light dimmed prematurely. My condolences to his wife, son and family as well as to the whole Cold Spring community.

Rest in peace Brother!

Michael Moculski

PAPD (Retired)

Putnam Valley Fire Department & Ambulance Corps

RIP Chief my sympathys to the family and many friends

Cold Spring (Putnam County)

Sgt. & K-9 Officer

Sgt. Darrell Burriss

Died As A Result Of Injuries Sustained In An Off-Duty MVA 11-15-07

Sgt Burris Was A 5 Year Member Of CSPD And The Commanding Officer,

As Well As The Department's K-9 Officer

He Is Survived By His Wife, Linda, Son Ryan, And K-9 Partner Duncan

WAKE: Joseph J. Smith Funeral Home

692 Route 6 Mahopac NY

Sunday November 18th 20007 and Monday November 19th 2007

2 PM - 4 PM and 7PM - 9 PM

FUNERAL: Saint James Church

Route 52 Carmel NY

Tuesday November 20th 10AM

Rest in Peace Darrell. I think we're all at a total loss for words right now. This coming just after Matt Lamb. My family wishes to convey our condolences to the Chiefs wife, son and partner. The Cold Spring PD and the entire Cold Spring community.

You could alway see Darrell and Duncan on Main street in Cold Spring. You're way too young to be taken from us.