Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Starting My EMT Class soon, any pointers or help?

28 posts in this topic

Hey everybody, I am starting my EMT-B class in 2 weeks, anything I should be wary of? any good pointers, and how hard is the practical?

YES ABSOLUTELY GLAD TO HELP.

CAFFINE LOTS AND LOTS OF CAFFINE.

COFFEE IS YOUR FRIEND.

Seriously take it easy and take very clear and precise notes studying those notes helped me drastically on my state final .

Its a long course but well worth it ..

Good luck in your future in EMS

Make sure to read the textbook.

I actually just finished my EMT-B and am just waiting for the results of my NYS Written Exam, and heres what I did to help me pass...when I had morning classes I brought coffee to wake up. But what actually helped me was paying attention to the instructors, writing clear precise notes both based on what the textbook said, and what the instructors said. Read the book, and do the questions at the end of each chapter, and if you have access to it, get the workbook. Also when it comes time to practicals, pay attention to what the instructor says and shows, and practice it until your sure your comfortable doing it...when you get the practical sheets, review them so you know what is expected of you at the NYS practicals. Other then that, try to have some fun, and enjoy the experience...in my class, i actuallymet some people that I might work with, and some new friends. Good luck in class.

Excellent last post. The hardest part about the practicals is the nervousness of doing it in front of people. You get plenty of time to do each station.

PAY ATTENTION!

Study all issued material. The practical is very easy just practice as much as you can.

Pay attention, practice for the practical on your friends and take practice tests. I had a 96 on the written and missed 0 points on the practical. Take a deep breath, relax and think your way through things. Good luck.

PS - If you get the chance with the written, select the on-site scoring. You won't regret it!

And not to start a fight, but only learning the stuff here: http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/emtpse08-06.pdf makes you a robot and a bad EMT, learn everything you can within the scope of your practice. Then study the hell out of those sheets to pass the practical. If you only study those sheets, you will pass, but you won't do well in the field.

Edited by FDNY 10-75

If you are all ready riding an ambulace do not bring your ride time knowledge in to the class there are two differents learning Street Smarts where EMTs learn tricks of the Trade and then Book Smart which you need to know for The Finals and ALWAYS ASK QUESTION IF YOU DONT KNOW!!!!!

Pay attention, practice for the practical on your friends and take practice tests........

And not to start a fight, but only learning the stuff here: http://www.health.state.ny.us/nysdoh/ems/pdf/emtpse08-06.pdf makes you a robot and a bad EMT, learn everything you can within the scope of your practice. Then study the hell out of those sheets to pass the practical. If you only study those sheets, you will pass, but you won't do well in the field.

FDNY is 110% correct.

If you want to be a good EMT DO NOT LOOK AT THE INFO ON THE WEBSITE UNTIL You have mastered the skills. Your instructor will give them to you when the time is right. Then memorize them.

I have been an EMT and Paramedic Instructor for 25 yrs and on DOH Regional Faculty (RF's certify Instructors) and Everyone at DOH Training agrees that if you only learn the sheets, you perform poorly therefore we teach instructors to not use them until the students master the skills. You will find it easier to memorize the sheets once you have the background.

GOOD LUCK.

If you do the reading and pay attention you will do well.

My 1st instructor had a good concept: "If you are not trying hard enough and just trying to slide by, why should I allow you to respond to my mother when she needs EMS"

If you are all ready riding an ambulace do not bring your ride time knowledge in to the class there are two differents learning Street Smarts where EMTs learn tricks of the Trade and then Book Smart which you need to know for The Finals and ALWAYS ASK QUESTION IF YOU DONT KNOW!!!!!

I was going to say that. Anything you already know, throw out. Things are a lot different on the street then in the class, and I had to adjust to that.

Hey everybody, I am starting my EMT-B class in 2 weeks, anything I should be wary of? any good pointers, and how hard is the practical?

Well... unfortunately, the BEST instructor for EMT classes passed away last week (Ray Thompson), but I'm sure that you will have a great instructor.

Here are some tips, tricks, and pointers in no specific order:

- When you walk into that classroom, you know absolutely nothing. This is not to insult you - just to remind you that whatever you may have learned in the field by watching your fellow members is not going to always benefit you on the written and practical exams. Watch, listen, and learn from your instructors - they will teach you EVERYTHING you will need to ace the exams.

- What you see on TV is 99.44% BS. Forget it exists and laugh at it when you learn the right way to do stuff. Kinda like in the movie Backdraft - lots of fire, no smoke??? 'nuff said.

- If you have a question, ASK. The dumbest question is the one not asked.

- Don't act like a know-it-all... Whether you're FD or EMS, you can and WILL learn from those around you. Everyone has stories -- and most everyone beefs up their own stories to make them sound better. You are who you are.

- After the first few class sessions, you may feel (over) confident to jump in on calls in your dept. Remember, you're not yet an EMT. You're a student. Be very careful. Don't take anything upon yourself regardless of what you THINK you can do.

- Don't be a showoff to your friends. You could make a real fool out of yourself.

- DON'T DO ANYTHING STUPID!!!

All these things sound like negatives, but in reality, they are all the truth. You will be the best EMT you can be if you take it all seriously and as if YOUR life depends on it - one day, one of your classmates may need to render aid to you.

When you pass your tests (and you WILL pass your tests), do yourself a favor and sit back and watch/learn from your fellow EMTs. Find someone (an EMT) that you are very comfortable with and ask him/her to work with you for several weeks. During my days in Elmsford, we tried not to give new EMTs 'free reign' as soon as they pass their exams - we tried to precept them with senior EMTs to ensure that they were not only comfortable with doing their jobs, but to ensure that everything was being done properly. It worked out well -- in fact, I precepted 2 of the 3 chiefs currently in office in EFD several years ago.

One more thing: when you pass your tests and start treating real patients, think about what they're going through at that moment in time. They're likely scared, hurt, and possibly unaware of their surroundings. Aside from having great medical skills, you also need to have compassion for the patients. You MUST have a good bedside manner at all times. OK - when dealing with the drunks, you can have a little fun (spaceship rides go over great). Again, think of it as if you were the patient - do you want a prick treating you?? 'zactly.

Good luck on everything. Take whatever advice that I have given that you want... I'm sure that a lot of other Bravo'ers are thinking the same things I said.

Jeff.

- Don't bring your pager to class.

- Go into your class with a very open mind, don't think because you may be associated with an agency that you know it all.

- Don't take anything from the street into the EMT class, chances are what you see is not being done properly or as the state delineates.

- Read, don't skim, the text book in full and know your vocabulary

- Be sure to review your protocols and study study guide often

- Don't forget BSI, Scene Safety and your ABCs

- Don't bring your pager to class.

Thanks for bringing that up. Don't be 'that guy'. ;)

I agree with the other guys. PAY ATTENTION!! The class is very easy if you just pay attention and keep up with your work. Don't sweat the practical, just take your time, think, and practice as much as you need to.

1. Get to know your class mates and instructors. You will be working with them mostly doing skills. The more comfortable you are with them, the better you will function.

Kevin im pretty sure your gunna function very well during emt (especially with the hands on stuff) considering that you already know one of your class mates very very well lol. Good Luck Bro

I think the best thing you can do, is pay attention, take thorough notes, read the book and read it again, follow along with the study guide, and always volunteer to get involved with practical work. Get to know your classmates and get comfortable working with them. Know your skill sheets like the back of your hand. The state written is extremely hard, an immense amount of studying is necessary for it. Not trying to get you nervous, but you really need to put a lot of time into the course, but go into it with a positive attitude, and positive outcomes will occur.

Matt

Thanks Guys.... Somebody posted "don't argue with the instructor".... Hypothetically if I knew he was wrong how could i point this out? I bring this up because another person posted something about diving accidents. I am (without trying to sound too cocky and I know I sound it) a very experienced diver with extended range and decompression diving. I have dove from depths as little as 9 feet to depths over 170 feet. I have seen people get the bends and know the actual symptoms, if the instructor were to be wrong what is the best way to tell them?

Read, study, and practice. You should be confident enough to teach the material as my first emt instructor told me. Also, hook up with a study group and make it a point to meet at least 1x week. Good luck!!

Thanks Guys.... Somebody posted "don't argue with the instructor".... Hypothetically if I knew he was wrong how could i point this out? I bring this up because another person posted something about diving accidents. I am (without trying to sound too cocky and I know I sound it) a very experienced diver with extended range and decompression diving. I have dove from depths as little as 9 feet to depths over 170 feet. I have seen people get the bends and know the actual symptoms, if the instructor were to be wrong what is the best way to tell them?

If an instructor makes an error like that, it is best to point it out on a break or after class and let him/her make the correction rather than starting an argument during class. Your dive accident example is a very unique example and while you may be an expert on that it is best to remember that you're not an expert on EMS - no matter how many calls you've been on or how much you think you know. Bottom line, the others are right - DO NOT ARGUE WITH THE INSTRUCTOR!

In addition to all the other good advice, remember that your EMT course is only one stop on the EMS training evolution. Having that little card in your wallet is a great start but you'll still have LOTS to learn. Keep an open mind, keep asking questions, and keep reading! Medicine changes and it is a challenge to stay current and knowledgeable on everything in EMS. As I was told once, now you've got your license to learn!

Most of all, enjoy the class!

Good luck with your class,

I took my class with a couple friends and it was good times. Remember to read the entire book, study you practical sheets and remember practice makes perfect so keep doing senarios. and most important pay attention and have FUN.

Good Luck

~AJ

Good luck with your class,

I took my class with a couple friends and it was good times. Remember to read the entire book, study you practical sheets and remember practice makes perfect so keep doing senarios. and most important pay attention and have FUN.

Good Luck

~AJ

Oh yeah, with regard to the "practical sheets" - they are the minimum standard that you're required to perform to and not the benchmark for the performance of any skills. DON'T rely on them as so many other people have already stated. Use them only when you're getting close to the test time and only then to back-up what you've learned from the book and other references provided.

First of all, GOOD LUCK with the class!!

Now, my two cents - from another EMT Instructor's standpoint...

All I've read here so far, I agree with! STUDY, WORK HARD at it!!! I see WAY TOO MANY students come into the course these days who seem to think that little or no effort is needed to become an EMT. Unfortunately, in alot of cases, that is true! With a minimal amount of work and practice, many EMT students can pass the State practicals and Written exams...of course, I hope they don't end up caring for me or anyone I care about!!

WORK at it...WANT to be the best at what you do!!

STUDY HARD...at both the "book" stuff, and the "hands on" stuff...READ the book, take NOTES in class, DO THE SKILLS during labs, don't just hang back and watch others!!

REMEMBER - the hours you spend in EMT class every week is NOWHERE NEAR ENOUGH TIME needed to master the material!! SPEND TIME OUT OF CLASS STUDYING AND PRACTICING!!!!!!!

As for "arguing with the Instructor..." I freely admit I do not know everything, and I may even relay inaccurate info during a lecture (GASP!!) That being said, it takes away from class time, and causes problems, when someone feels the need to correct me or debate during class...let me know about my mistake during a break, and it can be addressed when class starts again.

TURN OFF YOUR PAGER (better yet, don't bring it to calls at all!!) AND PUT THE CEL PHONE ON VIBRATE!!!

PAY ATTENTION to the Instructors...

GOOD LUCK with it...and HAVE FUN!!!

2 pointers.

1. On practical - assume nothing, verbilize everything.

2. On Street (after passing) - The only time you will find a textbook case is in the textbook, Adapt what you learn to what you find on the street. Think outside the box.

Good Luck - EMT 14 yrs and always learning something.

Everything I have to recommend has already been said... but i'll just say this:

In my opinion... there's two types of EMTs.

#1: The one who does everything to the state practical sheets

#2: The one that acts like a street-EMT.

Once I got out of my EMT class... I feel like I had to re-learn a lot of "everyday things" as the way you act on real calls day in and day out are not always as they may be on the practical sheet.

(if that makes any sense)

If you are already a member of a VAC and if you are riding as an observer until you become an EMT, DO NOT pay attention to the way that many things get done in the field. Pay strict attention to how the instructor is teaching you to do things. There is a big difference between class and being out in the field.

As someone mentioned ealier, DO NOT leave your VAC/FD pager on in class. Put your cell phone on vibrate or turn it off all together. Do not sit there texting your friends or other people in your class.

What I learned in college, was that instructors do not teach you; they provide the opportunity and you teach yourself. Having done undergrad in the epoch before computers and power point, everything was hand written and there is some evidence that writing assists in memory.

In the era of everything powerpoint, especially if the the 'instructor' does not take the time to teach, the information will go by too quickly. If there are handouts, don't rely on them. Find a note taking strategy that works for you, but absolutely take notes. If the material goes by too quickly to copy, ask the instructor to slow down. If you can't keep up, other students aren't either. Read the textbook assignments BEFORE class and come in with 3 questions you want to ask on the material. If it doesn't make sense, say so.

Mark Twain...or HL Mencken said that education is the only thing where people are happy when they don't get their money's worth. Don't accept days off or getting out early. Someone is paying for instruction and the instructor owes you good hours of it. Make your instructor work as hard as you do.

First, read the textbook and ask lots of questions, you have nothing to lose by asking questions and have a lot to learn. Practice your skills on family and friends, when I was in the class I was doing BP, pulse, and lung sounds on my family and friends all the time and it helps, practice makes perfect. Also if you are currently on an ambulance, ask the crew questions if you dont understand why or how they did something, and you can also practice your skills with them.

Good luck and stay safe.