Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jack10562

Bangor Ladder Use

30 posts in this topic

This Discussion split from another topic started: here

That's the second time I've ever seen a Bangor ladder used. 4th and 6th picture

First time was in "Ladder Company Ops school" way back in '74, with Ernie Fischer at Armonk FD.

Ever been on a "Church Raise"?

We had to climb up 40 or 50 feet, (felt like a hundred) cross over, and come down the other side, in order to pass the class.

That's the second time I've ever seen a Bangor ladder.

First time was in "Ladder Company Ops school" back in 74, with Ernie Fischer at Armonk FD.

Auditorium raises!!! Ahhhh, that brings back memories of Ladder Ops Class! I was the heaviest one there and the teacher said that if the calss can raise the ladder and hold me they would pass!!!! (Sure, always pick on the FAT guys!!) :lol:

Needless to say my knees were shaking climbing that ladder!!!

That's the second time I've ever seen a Bangor ladder.

First time was in "Ladder Company Ops school" back in 74, with Ernie Fischer at Armonk FD.

Really? What do other departments use? Our 40's and 50's both have tormentor poles.

Really? What do other departments use? Our 40's and 50's both have tormentor poles.

... I really don't know what anyone has these days. I'll take a guess those still are carried.

All I've ever done is engine company, even when taking that ladder training, back in the day.

While on this topic, what Depts. out there do carry the longer 45' to 50' extension ladders on their truck cos. still. I know we don't anymore. The longest is 39' and sometimes I wish it did have tormentors. Give me back my 2 section 35'. 2 guys could throw it up in a pinch.

I havent been around for a while in my dept, but I believe we carry 39', 35', 24' extensions, and 12' roof on our Truck.

I have never seen a "church" or "auditorium" raise in actuall fire situations, but remember my ladder class all too well.!!

That's the drill.

There will probably never be a need for a climb like that under actual fire conditions, but without a shadow of a doubt, it is a huge confidence-builder! and takes teamwork to accomplish.

[pay no attention to one of the other videos on that page] B)

We carry a pencil ladder, little giant, 16 and 20' roof ladders, a 28', 2 35's, a 40' and a 50'.

We always throw the 35' with two guys, it's not hard. I've heard of two guys throwing the 50' in a pinch. We did the 50' a few weeks ago with 3 guys, wasn't that bad.

Edited by firewrx612

Check this out...

I just graduated the academy last year and we had to do these auditorium raises numerious times during the academy, starting with a 24 foot ladder and working our way up to a 50ft. Bangor. The only difference was in this video they appear to have padding in case someone falls, we didn't (did it in the middle of a parking lot).

I know that alot of departments up state still carry and use these ladders, for things such as ladder placement in a tight alley where a 35ft ladder is not long enough and aerial placement is impossible.

A lot of UK fire serice trucks still carry them. 13.5m (45ft) seems to be a standard. Killing some time on google I wasn't able to find any examples at incidents, but there are a few training pictures such as:

From Hampshire Fire

image1.jpg

I don't think we're carrying anything larger then a 35' ladder anymore.

Two Engines have the 10' attic, 14' roof, 24" extensions.

One Engine has the 10' attic, 14' roof, 24" extension, Little Giant ladder.

The Truck has the required NFPA ground ladder compliment and a Little Giant. (I think it is two 35', two 24' extensions and two roof ladders, not positive.

Rescue carries the Little Giant only.

We have a three section 35' footer on my engine - weighs just shy of 200 pounds. A three man job as a rule of thumb.

A lot of UK fire serice trucks still carry them. 13.5m (45ft) seems to be a standard. Killing some time on google I wasn't able to find any examples at incidents, but there are a few training pictures such as:

From Hampshire Fire

image1.jpg

Its been awhile but are they raising that right? I thought the guys on the tormentors should be pushing instead of pulling.

Its been awhile but are they raising that right? I thought the guys on the tormentors should be pushing instead of pulling.

Thought the same thing bro. and your right. Then again it's the UK. What do they know! Their Cops still don't carry guns.

Trained on it at the Academy, confidence building evolution. Haven't seen one since.

Thought the same thing bro. and your right. Then again it's the UK. What do they know! Their Cops still don't carry guns.

Beats me - never worked with one. But ... it looks like they are footing the ladder more than raising it. Letting the other two guys do the donkey work. I guess if you only have 4 on your crew?

Don't remember exactly when, but a while back (20 + / - years ago) The Village of Mamaroneck FD made a grab using a Bangor I believe. If memory serves me it was down an alley where the victim was perched on a ledge on 3rd floor.

Get this The victim was The Mayor I am pretty sure............ I bet they had no budget concerns that year.

Anyone from VMFD out there to confirm ?

tormentors should be pushing until the ladder is vertical, then one member takes his tormentor to the side so it is 90 degrees away from the other pole now the ladder can be stabilized while it is being raised. once lowered into position both poles are brought foreword and placed against the building. If you are doing a church raise for "skill building" you should also use some rope (1/2") on each tip of each beam to help stabilize the ladder for a little extra safety. Not good to lose a ladder extended 45' or more with a member climbing over the tip. Yup we used to and I am sure it is still done, climb up one side of the ladder use the ladder belt to clip on, climb over the top and come down the other side.

Don't remember exactly when, but a while back (20 + / - years ago) The Village of Mamaroneck FD made a grab using a Bangor I believe. If memory serves me it was down an alley where the victim was perched on a ledge on 3rd floor.

Get this The victim was The Mayor I am pretty sure............ I bet they had no budget concerns that year.

Anyone from VMFD out there to confirm ?

There was a grab at 1600 Harrison Ave about 20 years ago. There was an electrical fire that filled the building with thick smoke. I do believe that the grab was made with the ariel. It was on the back side of the building off of the parking lot.

QUOTE(FirNaTine @ Feb 7 2008, 12:08 PM)

Beats me - never worked with one. But ... it looks like they are footing the ladder more than raising it. Letting the other two guys do the donkey work. I guess if you only have 4 on your crew?

Don't believe that...9 years ago I saw many were carrying, they just kept them lower key, except for the ones with the sub machine guns.

They do better manning than that.

6 is minimum manning on a pump (ground ladders are only on pumps). Thats on all pumps (vol & paid) in GB (England, Scotland, & Wales). Manning is established by the Queens Office (of state, If memory is correct).

Here's a shot from a drill Ridgefield Park Truck Co. 2 had last year.

We did a favor for our local church and changed some of their lightbulbs in their cathedral ceilings. It was a great drill for those of us who had never used our 45'

post-14847-1202751367.jpg

post-14847-1202751395.jpg

post-14847-1202751412.jpg

While on this topic, what Depts. out there do carry the longer 45' to 50' extension ladders on their truck cos. still. I know we don't anymore. The longest is 39' and sometimes I wish it did have tormentors. Give me back my 2 section 35'. 2 guys could throw it up in a pinch.

Pelham Manor carries a 50 on Tower Ladder 3, last time it was used was at The Biltmore fire.

Here's a shot from a drill Ridgefield Park Truck Co. 2 had last year.

We did a favor for our local church and changed some of their lightbulbs in their cathedral ceilings. It was a great drill for those of us who had never used our 45'

Was FDNY there to help?

our ladder has a 45' bangor ladder just because of the sheer amount of power lines that prevent raising the stick

Was FDNY there to help?

:lol:

Edited by M' Ave

Our truck in Middlebury does not carry a pole ladder. However, the old truck did. Funny that I should stumble on to this topic, as we were discussing these at a chimney fire call earlier this evening. The young lads we have now taking CT FF-I no longer have to do a pole ladder raise, which used to be a requirement in the Ladders section. So, they have never had the "pleasure" of raising a 45 or 50 footer. I do know that Boston still uses them regularly.