Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcoppola

What's in Your PPE Pockets?

27 posts in this topic

I saw this idea on another good website and I picked up some good info from it. Why not start a thread here about what members keep in their turnout gear pockets?

Coat:

• Needle nose pliers
  • Adjustable pliers (robogrips)
  • Channel Locks with key tool (customized)
  • Fox shove knife
  • 4 way screwdriver
  • allen key set
  • hose rope tool
  • EMS Shears
  • Steel door wedge
  • knife
  • Key ring with BFD elevator key, universal alarm panel key and MTA train key.
Pants:

• Gemtor class 2 harness
  • Utility rope w/biner (left pants pocket)
  • Bailout rope kit (kevlar rope, 50' and biner) (right pants pocket)
  • CPR mask
  • Webbing with water knot under R kneepad

post-4500-1203048866.jpg

post-4500-1203048887.jpg

post-4500-1203048914.jpg

When I was a volunteer, here's what I kept in my turnouts...

Coat pockets

1 medium sized mag light

1 window punch

2 6' lengths of strap (knotted to 3' loops)

1 mini Mag light (rather than pen light for EMS runs)

1 Leatherman

pocket knife

and in my pants pocket-a folding spanner wrench

Pants

Window Punch With Glass Cutter

Leathermen

EMS Shears

EMS PenLight

EMS GLOVE POUCH with Gloves 2-3 pairs

with Needle Nose Pliers and Screw Driver.

Other Side pants

Bailout Rope

Small EMS goggles (Quick Eye Protection) Eye Injury while someone eles was cutting the roof at the FTC in class Relized BURK Shield does not work!!!

Extrication Gloves

Jacket

Light

Tags x2

SCBA MASK (when not in use)

Helmet

2 Lights (You Never Know One MAY Die or *Always Leave on at the door way ON to get back*

A Couple of Nails

And two Wood Chocks behind the Shield

And Goggles

And On My Gemtar is Webbing in a pouch

knife attached to my radio strap.

on my helmet

-2 door chocks on my helmet

in my coat

-2 door chocks in my coat

-4in1 screwdriver

-plyers

-window punch

-shoveknife

-exrication gloves

-nomex hood

-survivor light

-pack of gum in my radio pocket(good for structure fires keeps my breathing in check)

-pair of firefighting gloves

-set of tags x2

-personal scott AV3000 mask

in my pants

-30 ft of personal rope attached to a steel carabeaner

-spare pair of firefighting gloves

-webbing in my knee pads

-gemtor class 2 harness

-personal handlight attached with two carabeaners to my gemtor.

Edited by southendexpress

coat= ems gloves, dikes(wirecutters), knife, knit wool hat for winter, regluar structural gloves

pants= 35' bailout rope w/ carabiner on the right, nomex hood and hand warmers on the left

All i have is pants pockets and a radio pocket on coat, in pants i just have a knife and a small maglight

Thats all i need, I have glove straps and a clipper thingy on coat for tags

Man...does Home Depot have any tools left in the store? Some of you guys could set up shop out of your turnout gear...lol.

I keep it simple...if you don't use it once a week or it will save your @ss, you don't need it. I also like to travel as light as possible.

I carry a pair of cutters that look much like pruning shears, webbing in my knee pads, 40' of bailout rope in the system in my a** flap. My volunteer PPE I keep my rope in my right pants pocket. I keep chocks attached to my coat with the same plastic ties used to keep extinguisher pins in place. While carrying them in my helmet was the traditional thing, I've had my whole band come loose one to many times and has the others go flying.

Just a quick question...why do some of you carry a leatherman? Just interested as to why and for some discussion.

JCoppola, also interested in how you carry 2 ropes and some insight as to why. Keeping them in your pocket I would be concerned that in a high stress moment you may grab what you can get to.

Final question to those who keep a knife on their radio strap. Where in the PPE donning process do you put on your radio? Under or over your SCBA? And for those of you that put it on over your SCBA...have you ever tried to do an emergency SCBA procedure with it like that?

Sometimes less is more...

Left pants pocket: wire cutter, multi-head screwdriver, 15' webbing sling (water knot), on top of which I have my structural gloves (until it's time to put them on).

Right pants pocket: 50' bailout line in bag with krab attached, ready to deploy. Small emergency maglite. Couple of chocks.

Inside jacket pocket: camera (sometimes), medical gloves (always)

That's it.

Man...does Home Depot have any tools left in the store? Some of you guys could set up shop out of your turnout gear...lol.

I keep it simple...if you don't use it once a week or it will save your @ss, you don't need it. I also like to travel as light as possible.

I carry a pair of cutters that look much like pruning shears, webbing in my knee pads, 40' of bailout rope in the system in my a** flap. My volunteer PPE I keep my rope in my right pants pocket. I keep chocks attached to my coat with the same plastic ties used to keep extinguisher pins in place. While carrying them in my helmet was the traditional thing, I've had my whole band come loose one to many times and has the others go flying.

Just a quick question...why do some of you carry a leatherman? Just interested as to why and for some discussion.

JCoppola, also interested in how you carry 2 ropes and some insight as to why. Keeping them in your pocket I would be concerned that in a high stress moment you may grab what you can get to.

Final question to those who keep a knife on their radio strap. Where in the PPE donning process do you put on your radio? Under or over your SCBA? And for those of you that put it on over your SCBA...have you ever tried to do an emergency SCBA procedure with it like that?

I keep the utility rope in my left pocket with a caribiner sticking out of the pocket just a bit so I can grab if if i need to tie off a tool or whatever. My utility rope is actually 50' of static 11 mil life safety rope, just not Kevlar. In a pinch, I could pass it to another member or victim. In my right pocket is my bailout rope and the biner is attached (unlocked) to my gemtor snaphook. The kevlar bailout rope is loosely bagged in that right pocket. If needed, I can grab the biner from my gemtor, wrap it around something substantial, triple wrap the hook and go. The bag can stay in the pocket and play out or I can chuck it out the window. This method was tested and I can do it in seconds. The key thing with bailouts is training. The skill is perishable.

P.S. You're not the first to mention my elaborate tool cache in my turnout coat, but to tell you the truth, I use everything I carry frequently.

JVC

Does anybody carry a camera?

Even if it's one of those cheap "toss-away" film-jobs?

Interesting question. I keep a small backpack with me in the rig at all times. In it is spare gloves, extrication/rope gloves, handi-talkie strap, dry socks, (when really cold, a dry sweatshirt) and what else? A nikon coolpix 5mp digital camera with spare batteries. I can (and have) snapped a picture or two while pulling up. Otherwise I can pass it to my chauffeur and while he is minding the pump, he can snap a few shots. Plus, it can be used to document things that may need to be revisited for report writing purposes.

Often I do. Olympus Stylus770SW. Shockproof, waterproof to 60'+ - I take it scuba diving. Fireproof? Not tested yet! Firegound-proof? We'll see, seems to be doing ok so far.

Thanks for explaining Joe and you and I will always agree that the key to successful bailouts is successful constant training. The only thing I would do different is not keep my biner clipped on my gemtor, but I see it works for you and you portray that you train on it enough that you'll compesate well. The reason I wouldn't is its one more operation that I need to accomplish to get it off, this adds a few more seconds and under stress your hands are not going to operate the same.

I've been trying to stop firefighters from taking their carabiners and hooking them on the waist size adjustment straps of the bunker pants for this same reason. Every survival class I teach I see this and ask them to unhook the carabiner and it takes them either a) and extended amount of time B) 2 hands to accomplish c) they can't get it off...then I ask them what is that rope used for...oh that's right emergency bailout.

As far as the tools...I always discuss that in most classes I teach when its appropriate and joke with some of my co-workers and colleagues who carry a ton of stuff.

Abaduck...At least I know I do something right every now and then. ;)

One thing I've taken to carrying lately is a Fluke proximity type voltage indicator.

I carry 2 door chocks, a pocket knife and a leathermen tool.

Edited by MoFire390

I've been trying to stop firefighters from taking their carabiners and hooking them on the waist size adjustment straps of the bunker pants for this same reason. Every survival class I teach I see this and ask them to unhook the carabiner and it takes them either a) and extended amount of time 2 hands to accomplish c) they can't get it off...then I ask them what is that rope used for...oh that's right emergency bailout

I actually hook my carabiner onto my adjustment straps. I guess the difference is that mine has a velcro section. If I give a really firm tug on the rope or carabiner, the velcro breaks loose and the rope is ready to use. I've figured 2 problems with my system: first, a short length of rope is always exposed and second, as it can be removed by hand with a firm tug, it can be removed by debris or get snagged too. I've done several wall breeches and other maneuvers with the setup and it hasn't gotten snagged yet though which is promising.

NFPA Approved Gloves + Carabiners = Pain in the A**

Thanks for explaining Joe and you and I will always agree that the key to successful bailouts is successful constant training. The only thing I would do different is not keep my biner clipped on my gemtor, but I see it works for you and you portray that you train on it enough that you'll compesate well. The reason I wouldn't is its one more operation that I need to accomplish to get it off, this adds a few more seconds and under stress your hands are not going to operate the same.

I've been trying to stop firefighters from taking their carabiners and hooking them on the waist size adjustment straps of the bunker pants for this same reason. Every survival class I teach I see this and ask them to unhook the carabiner and it takes them either a) and extended amount of time B ) 2 hands to accomplish c) they can't get it off...then I ask them what is that rope used for...oh that's right emergency bailout.

As far as the tools...I always discuss that in most classes I teach when its appropriate and joke with some of my co-workers and colleagues who carry a ton of stuff.

Abaduck...At least I know I do something right every now and then. ;)

Interesting subject. So, I'm one of those that has a bailout rope and biner in a pouch that is clipped to the waist adjustment on my bunkers. In the past I've been able to get the biner out one handed - I'll have to try it again now though :unsure:

I don't have a Gemtor - yet. I was wondering if you could use it with a munter hitch for bailout instead of the body belay. After thinking of this, I did see mention of a munter hitch being a last ditch alternative for descent in one of the fire magazines - talking about pick off type emergencies. Anyone tried this? :huh:

Good question about the radio strap - personally I use the radio pocket. Although I do often use one of the 'box' type lights and throw that over the top of the SCBA. Now if you remember in the heat of the situation, they do have clips, and often seat belt type clips. This isn't something I've thought about before when doing small profile exits. Another thing to look at and think about. :blink: Thanks ALS.

On the other side of the bunkers I have one of those multi tools from Galls - screwdriver, knife, hose wrench, gas shutoff. I've used it a few times (incidentally has a seat belt cutter that sucks). In my bunker pants I have a pair of wire cutters and a loop of webbing. In my turnouts I have one of the old 35mm cannisters with latex gloves.

I saw this idea on another good website and I picked up some good info from it. Why not start a thread here about what members keep in their turnout gear pockets?

Coat:

• Needle nose pliers
  • Adjustable pliers (robogrips)
  • Channel Locks with key tool (customized)
  • Fox shove knife
  • 4 way screwdriver
  • allen key set
  • hose rope tool
  • EMS Shears
  • Steel door wedge
  • knife
  • Key ring with BFD elevator key, universal alarm panel key and MTA train key.
Pants:
  • Gemtor class 2 harness
  • Utility rope w/biner (left pants pocket)
  • Bailout rope kit (kevlar rope, 50' and biner) (right pants pocket)
  • CPR mask
  • Webbing with water knot under R kneepad

A quick note on the water pump pliers modification, bend the 90 degree key tool to the outside and you wont pinch your fingers and it will be easier to use ;)

ONLY THE ESSENTIALS... DOOR CHOCK, PLIERS, CIGAR CUTTER, LIGHTER.

Whats the cigar cutter and lighter for, do you smoke on scene

You gotta keep it light, and simple.

Shove knife in my left coat pocket

Hook Knife in my left pants pocket

Firefighting gloves in my right pants pocket

Streamlight 4aa led flashlight on my helmet

and last but not least

an EXO PSS on my gemtor

I keep a set of extrication gloves and safety glasses on the shelf next to my helmet, for extrication calls. No sense carrying those things to every single call.

I don't have a Gemtor - yet. I was wondering if you could use it with a munter hitch for bailout instead of the body belay. After thinking of this, I did see mention of a munter hitch being a last ditch alternative for descent in one of the fire magazines - talking about pick off type emergencies. Anyone tried this? :huh:

The munter is ok for 1 person only. Do not try a pick off with it. In testing we have seen it fail to stop loads over 400 Ibs.

This has nothing to do with Fire Fighting, however my Police Department has started issuing Tactical Medical Packs to all its Officers. More or less it's an "OH $h**" pack in case an Officer goes down they have the equipment to provide self first aid. Just thinking it might be a great item for all members involved in public safety to have with them.

I have no idea how to post a link. But here is the web site for the packs we have.

http://www.tacticalmedicalpacks.com/index.html

Whats the cigar cutter and lighter for, do you smoke on scene

No, he performs circumcisions and then lights fires............

Dude true story... I smoke INSIDE my face piece. YFD910 I miss you. And I use the cutter for my side job as a Moyle, it dosen't pay much... but the Tips are great.

A cigar's (or cigarrette) too big for a face piece I thought. :huh: Am I wrong to say that you have a bad seal around your face piece? :blink:

Mike

Please smack yourself for me, kid.........thanks....

Arturo Fuente Short Stories will fit just fine inside your mask..lol.

Oper8er758,

Fire or no fire still a good post. I'm trying to get the PD where I work to supply every vehicle with one for self/buddy aid as well. There are several large urban US departments that have done so. It is a well designed/thought out kit. I personally like Celox a bit more then QuikClot but it still is a very good kit.