Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Why Don't Commisioners Like This Site?

58 posts in this topic

Here's the problem I see. Just because you don't like what somebody writes makes it a bash. I don't single out ANY AGENCIES. Members of some AGENCIE'S take it personally what I write. Get over yourselves. IT IS NOT PERSONAL. I have learned that I can't make it personal because there are cry babies on here that run and tell.

Now there are more moderator's. Do you all the moderator's talk before you delete a post or decide if it is a bash? We all have different opinions. This is a learning site. I have learned some things. I have been criticised about some things that I write. Do I run and tell? No. You know why? Because maybe, just maybe what I wrote came out wrong and need to clarify myself.

This question is posed to everyone and maybe is should be another thread. I will let the admin's handle that. This is not being wise. What is a BASH? I guess if somebody writes bad about a service whether it be PD, FD, or EMS. I still don't see it though. We have to have thicker skin.

One answer....Tradition (Right Doc) :lol:

Momma says EMTBravo is the DEVIL!

Is that before or after the box of chocolates!!! :lol::lol::lol:

It's funny you bring this up, there are a few people that i know, myself included that have gotten yelled at for discussing issues on this site. Noone has ever been "Banned from posting here", but yelled at yes. I personally don't see a problem with it, but thats just me.... I have also heard chiefs AND commisoiners discussing what "so and so posted on that website", "who gave them the authority to do that, they're causing trouble", etc etc. If its something sensitive, like personel issues, or other matters that shouldn't be discussed by anyone, then thats one thing, but if its something that they feel needs fixing, and think that looking for advice here might help, then more power to them. Period. Its time to get out of the dark ages here people

Edited by EFFP411

I know that New Rochelle's commisioner does not have a problem with this site.

That's probably because he actually knows what it's like to be a firefighter and line officer. He's crawled down enough hallways I'm sure to know enough of what the Job's all about and stands behind his men. Those who have no clue about the fire service and are appointed to such ranks as a political favor or have stood outside their whole career hiding are the ones who seem to have the problem with this site. It's very sipmle the way I see it. If you don't want your dirty laundry aired on this site, then don't do anything stupid to give someone a reason to make it public. Personally, I think the public has a right to know how their tax dollars are being spent. If one's not doing their job or doing it incorrectly, then they should suffer the consequences. You want Respect, then Earn It! I don't care how many stars and bars you got on your collar or scrambled eggs on the brim of your cap! You should be qualified to hold a position of rank, no matter what it may be. If your not, then too bad if you get embarrassed at some point in your career.

Edited by FirNaTine

"

It's funny you bring this up, there are a few people that i know, myself included that have gotten yelled at for discussing issues on this site. Noone has ever been "Banned from posting here", but yelled at yes. "

Yelled at! If your dad is your chief, then maybe you could yelled at, but if he/she is not my father or mother I might put them back in their place.

Remember that some of these older chiefs and commissioners were in their positions before the internet and these public forums. The only time they had to answer for their actions or inactions was at monthly council or trustee meetings and monthly fire company meetings. They usually had pre-warning as well.

Now, with sites like this it makes it very easy for anyone, pretty much anonymously, to post anything they want. There are plenty of verified members on this site who don't list there location etc... It's really easy to bash when you're anonymous. I hope that most people who do bash, or criticize or whatever you want to call it, do stand up at their monthly meeting and say the same thing. If not, then you're only proving that you post here because of the anonymity! If I were a chief, and thank god I'm not, I'd be a little upset with someone who logs onto a website and publicly speaks out or airs dirty laundry in my department. Who can blame them? Half the time you don't even know who it is that's criticizing you. You can try to figure it out by there log-in name, location and profession, but many people leave stuff out or change this info intentionally.

There was a topic recently about using your name as your ID. That would cut out a lot of criticism!

Tom Drake

Edited by 5slow

i think what i wrote some people think its directed toward them. im not saying anyone has ever "bashed" me or my dept. i have noticed times where people were called names because of their actions at the scene of an incident. it had nothing to do with me or my dept. just to clear the air.... you can write whatever you want on here or any other web site. you do have that freedom.

i think what i wrote some people think its directed toward them. im not saying anyone has ever "bashed" me or my dept. i have noticed times where people were called names because of their actions at the scene of an incident. it had nothing to do with me or my dept. just to clear the air.... you can write whatever you want on here or any other web site. you do have that freedom.

Actually you can't on this site. As I have found out the HARD way in the past. But what you write is true. People are REALLY PARANOID that they are being talked about. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Say what you want about me. I won't lose sleep over it. That's if I can ever fall asleep. LOL

Edited by ONEEYEDMIC

It's funny you bring this up, there are a few people that i know, myself included that have gotten yelled at for discussing issues on this site. Noone has ever been "Banned from posting here", but yelled at yes. "

Yelled at! If your dad is your chief, then maybe you could yelled at, but if he/she is not my father or mother I might put them back in their place.

Remember that some of these older chiefs and commissioners were in their positions before the internet and these public forums. The only time they had to answer for their actions or inactions was at monthly council or trustee meetings and monthly fire company meetings. They usually had pre-warning as well.

Now, with sites like this it makes it very easy for anyone, pretty much anonymously, to post anything they want. There are plenty of verified members on this site who don't list there location etc... It's really easy to bash when you're anonymous. I hope that most people who do bash, or criticize or whatever you want to call it, do stand up at their monthly meeting and say the same thing. If not, then you're only proving that you post here because of the anonymity! If I were a chief, and thank god I'm not, I'd be a little upset with someone who logs onto a website and publicly speaks out or airs dirty laundry in my department. Who can blame them? Half the time you don't even know who it is that's criticizing you. You can try to figure it out by there log-in name, location and profession, but many people leave stuff out or change this info intentionally.

There was a topic recently about using your name as your ID. That would cut out a lot of criticism!

Tom Drake

Tom,

I respectfully disagree. Bashing is not tolerated on this site and every effort is made to remove offensive posts. On the other hand, we've had some pretty intelligent and reasonable discussions about a variety of issues affecting the emergency services community and that's why most of us (at least me anyway) stick around. IF this site did tolerate agency/individual bashing, I would no longer be a member.

Agency specific references have usually been posted after an article in a newspaper or other venue has "aired it", such as the offensive conditions in firehouses in a certain local municipality.

Constructive criticism is not bashing and those narrow minded individuals who think differently need to wake up and update their calendars! Airing dirty laundry implies discussing things that are not in the public domain. Training, tactics, apparatus, response modes, are all in the public domain. Discussing them is important and has its value.

Just as anyone has the right to post their opinions here - you have the right to not log in and read them!

Actually you can't on this site. As I have found out the HARD way in the past. But what you write is true. People are REALLY PARANOID that they are being talked about. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Say what you want about me. I won't lose sleep over it. That's if I can ever fall asleep. LOL

No, you have to comply with the policies of the site as established by the owner. Within those parameters, you can post anything you want.

Keep it positive/constructive!!! ;)

Is critiquing a fire considered airing of dirty laundry? I have done it on here in the past to stimulate some debate, and get the brothers thoughts on different tactics and the ration of you know what I got was harsh. Am I bashing an individual or organization if I disagree with there tactics?

Is critiquing a fire considered airing of dirty laundry? I have done it on here in the past to stimulate some debate, and get the brothers thoughts on different tactics and the ration of you know what I got was harsh. Am I bashing an individual or organization if I disagree with there tactics?

Not in my humble estimation!

People are REALLY PARANOID that they are being talked about. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me. Say what you want about me. I won't lose sleep over it. That's if I can ever fall asleep. LOL

Amen to that

"

Tom Drake

Well, the reason i say i got "yelled at" is because one of the chiefs is also my boss at my "real" job, and one of my very good friends besides. But, thats besides the point

I don't think this issue is so much about this site, or even the internet as a whole. This is more about the fact that for a long time we didn't talk about the fire service outside of our own department, and we certainly didn't do it in public.

Of course the benefit to sites like this is the ability to talk with other that we likely would never have had the chance to, and this is a regional site. Imagine the potential of a site with a larger geographic scope. That is what really frightens some of our leadership, for a variety of reasons, many of them valid.

Of course the ability of the public or the news media to get a hold of something negative is always there, but we also have to remember that in this law suit crazy country we call home, anything you say can and will be used against you. But I think the biggest issue is an internal department one. If I have a problem with another member of the department, and it ends up online, it could effect morale and end up making a small problem a big one for the leadership to deal with.

This is why we, as members, need to police ourselves a little bit and keep thing professional and not personal, which is usually not a problem here. I think that as this site grows, and as more such sites pop up, management will have to sit up and notice the positive potential here and not dwell on the negative potential.

whats that thingy called?? oh yea, the first amendment... <_<

couldn't agree with you more vacguy.

I encountered a problem last year about a few incidents that where going on in my town where there was someone calling and giving false reports to control. and I was told I need to watch what I type.

The reason commisioners and chiefs dont like this site is because they see many first responders in the 18-40 age group who are unhappy with the state of emergency services in not only the Huson Valley but nationwide. These comissioners/chiefs and their ideas have held power for a long time over their individual fifedoms and kingdoms and they are desperate to hold on to it. There is a whole generation of young people out there who are extremely passionate about firefighting, EMS and law enforcement, and they are getting together on the internet and imagining radical change to the way we train, operate and organize. The "establishment" is terrified of this free exchange of information and ideas.

The reason commisioners and chiefs dont like this site is because they see many first responders in the 18-40 age group who are unhappy with the state of emergency services in not only the Huson Valley but nationwide. These comissioners/chiefs and their ideas have held power for a long time over their individual fifedoms and kingdoms and they are desperate to hold on to it. There is a whole generation of young people out there who are extremely passionate about firefighting, EMS and law enforcement, and they are getting together on the internet and imagining radical change to the way we train, operate and organize. The "establishment" is terrified of this free exchange of information and ideas.

well said!

Thanks to everyone for their input, advice, ideas...and support! I have read each and every one of your posts.

Some of the posts on this thread reassure me that this forum is doing what it's intended to do. It's also given me some ideas for the future of this forum. It's definetly a new generation, and this forum we hope is mobilizing and revolutionizing the afformentioned generation!

Thanks again!

-Seth

So we're promoting a new WORLD of Emergency Services ORDER? AWESOME!

Mike

very well said!!

So we're promoting a new WORLD of Emergency Services ORDER? AWESOME!

Mike

you make it sound like we're taking the emergency services to other planets!

or maybe the other plantes are taking their emergency services here :o

you make it sound like we're taking the emergency services to other planets!

or maybe the other plantes are taking their emergency services here :o

Neither, we're taking new looks at old things! :lol:

Mike

In some cases the truth hurts...although I've rarely seen anyone jump out and make comments about a department or district and use the actual name or be direct enough for anyone to know who or what they are talking about but them.

I've heard similiar cases of what has been mentioned of retaliation for posting things on the site even if in general which is why many on here do not let it be known who they are. For those of you who don't like what is posted on here sometimes try fixing the problem first that is mentioned instead of making excuses and hunting down the poster.

In some cases the truth hurts...although I've rarely seen anyone jump out and make comments about a department or district and use the actual name or be direct enough for anyone to know who or what they are talking about but them.

I've heard similiar cases of what has been mentioned of retaliation for posting things on the site even if in general which is why many on here do not let it be known who they are. For those of you who don't like what is posted on here sometimes try fixing the problem first that is mentioned instead of making excuses and hunting down the poster.

Are you implying ALS that the Top Brass actually do the right thing for once? How dare you! You know that's impossible. It's much easier to kill the messenger.

Let the Brass not forget this very important EMTBravo rule:

Personal And Departmental Attacks

Attacks, Bashing,Name Calling Or Any Type Of Negative Comments Or Activity Towards Any Person Or Department Will Not Be Tolerated.

If you don't like an agency or person, this WILL NOT be the board to take up those issues. Period.

They got a problem with this site, read OUR rules before criticizing. The people negatively commenting a FD/PD may be suspended at the discrection of the administrator. I personally prefer a jury of members, but he (the administrator) can do what he wishes.

Mike

I personally prefer a jury of members, but he (the administrator) can do what he wishes.

Mike

judge, jury and executioner!

"i create thy, i taketh away thy!"

Edited by vacguy