Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

Would Real Names For Usernames Work?

53 posts in this topic

Im kind of on the fence with this whole topic I see the points both HFD and ONEEYED have regarding the safety of their families and such but I also have to agree with the other posts saying that it would "weed" out some of the bad seeds here. I guess I could go either way.

I knew it was you Salani! I went to AMS with you in '97

Now it would be nice to know your name, because i am drawing a big blank.... May have something to do with the fact that i've been up over 24 hours already....

Im kind of on the fence with this whole topic I see the points both HFD and ONEEYED have regarding the safety of their families and such but I also have to agree with the other posts saying that it would "weed" out some of the bad seeds here. I guess I could go either way.

How would it weed out the bad seeds? You can just give a fake name. How are you going to prove who anybody is? Unless you start getting SS #'s, Drivers License#'s or start doing RETINAL SCANS. Just leave it as is.

Really don't matter to me either way. I have my signature on every post that I make! I can has others have said see both sides of the issues, safety and just knowing who each other are.

Either way is fine with me!

How would it weed out the bad seeds? You can just give a fake name. How are you going to prove who anybody is? Unless you start getting SS #'s, Drivers License#'s or start doing RETINAL SCANS. Just leave it as is.

True. How are the verified members verified now?? What happens now when you have to "apply" for membership?

There is another problem here: What about members UNDER 18? I see big red flags here. Now, we have guests visit this site all the time, and who knows what they've done. Real name + location + unknown members + under 18 = BIG LEGAL ISSUES.

I am against using real names for the reason I stated above and another, I already sign my first name on here for privacy reasons, if my last name becomes required, I'm no longer posting here.

Mike

Members-

I've been doing some thinking, and wanted to bounce the idea of of you.

Should EMTBravo.net take the next step and set the precedent in making our users use their real name? No more hiding behind a fictiocous screename, and standing behind your posts with your name?

Or would this move discourage members from posting?

Of course, we would allow members to use their first name and last intiial, or first name and shield number, etc. We'd also have to come up with a way for members who have simiar name to differentiate themselves.

I feel this move would hold members to a higher standard, resulting in more quality posts and more of a "community atmosphere". I also think it would cut down signifcantly on a loy

Or, do you think members build an identity with their screename, and allows them to express themelves without the fear of reprocussion?

Should we create a premium memberhip level for those who want to use their real names?

What do you think? THIS IS AN IDEA ONLY, OPEN TO MEMBER BRAINSTORMING!! THIS IS NOT BEING IMPLEMENTED!

-Seth G.

That's my name!

I have nothing to hide and commend others who sign their names to posts under their screen names.

I could have used my nickname, Shrek, as a screen name but chose not to.

One Idea for this, in the middle of the road, is first name with last initial.

I had forgotten about the verified member program. I remember giving my name and department info, which I will admit is more of a good will gesture, allowing the forum staff to check if they need to, than it is an actual verification process. I do however think that the existing system works well enough.

I had not considered the safety implication of posting ones name here, but I don't think it is all that much of an issue, as the only ones who could see it are other members for the most part.

I like my screen name better than my real name! How do you plan to verify the users name?

This name may be mine, or perhaps its not. You guys in East Fishkill can verify with my father at the 3 house.

Patrick Quinn

Rock Hill Fire Department

Rock Hill, SC

I wouldn't mind putting my real name up there. But, at the same time certain fire departments and taking away members freedom of speech by telling them what they can and can't post. A few incidents happened in my town and I posted a look out post, for the neighboring departments and got in trouble for it. Some way the comissinors found out and I was "spoken" to about it on how "Need to watch what I type". I'm sorry to say that I would have to disagree about this I would still like to remain a secret.

I wouldn't mind putting my real name up there. But, at the same time certain fire departments and taking away members freedom of speech by telling them what they can and can't post. A few incidents happened in my town and I posted a look out post, for the neighboring departments and got in trouble for it. Some way the comissinors found out and I was "spoken" to about it on how "Need to watch what I type". I'm sorry to say that I would have to disagree about this I would still like to remain a secret.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Anyone disagree???

Edited by HFD219

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Anyone disagree???

Nope. In fact if Congress makes any law abridging freedom of speech here I'll be amongst the first to man the barricades. But it's not Congress you need to concern yourself with, it's Seth - it's HIS train set!

Nope. In fact if Congress makes any law abridging freedom of speech here I'll be amongst the first to man the barricades. But it's not Congress you need to concern yourself with, it's Seth - it's HIS train set!

give the man a break. u don't like it lets see you make a forum...

Why would you post something that could come back to bite you in the butt? It is Seth's website that he lets us use, but in all honesty why fix something that isn't broken. The system seems to work fine as of right now, but either way it doesn't really matter to me.

Anyone disagree???

As a matter of fact, I do. This applies to the GOVERNMENT imposing restrictions on the citizenry. It does not apply to users of a privately-owned website who agreed to a set of terms and conditions as a condition of their use.

This is not the case in many other countries where the government routinely censors and controls what is broadcast by the media and what is available on the internet.

As a matter of fact, I do. This applies to the GOVERNMENT imposing restrictions on the citizenry. It does not apply to users of a privately-owned website who agreed to a set of terms and conditions as a condition of their use.

This is not the case in many other countries where the government routinely censors and controls what is broadcast by the media and what is available on the internet.

My quoting of the 1st Amendment was not intended for Seth or his website, I was responding to someone who said his department was taking thier rights to free speech.

You as a member of a department either PD, FD or EMS may be restricted in what you can and cant comment on. Like I said, if you post on here with your real name you may be violating a department policy. Sure you can go out and blab about everything due to your first ammendment, but you may be looking for a job after that. I for instance cant comment on cases, calls etc. I wouldnt even put myself in a situation to reveal something I shouldnt be.

You as a member of a department either PD, FD or EMS may be restricted in what you can and cant comment on. Like I said, if you post on here with your real name you may be violating a department policy. Sure you can go out and blab about everything due to your first ammendment, but you may be looking for a job after that. I for instance cant comment on cases, calls etc. I wouldnt even put myself in a situation to reveal something I shouldnt be.

+1

Well, my problem is everyone calls me Moose...or atleast I want them too. I usually sign my PM's with Brian a lot, and with a last name like Jones whos worried about stealing my identity!! If you can figure out which of the million Jones' I am you deserve all $2.19 I have in the bank!!! :lol:

I would have to consider and agree with those who have posted their concerns about keeping with their usernames though. For some its there jobs, for others its an issue of their Departments constantly harrassing them about posts they made....whatever their concerns are I believe they are valid ones. So, I will join the crowd on the fence with this one...if you ask me my name I will tell you, I have nothing to hide nor do I feel I need to hide behind a fake name when I post. When I post I speek from my experiences, and If I have no experience in the topic I Learn from it and those who have experience.

Anyone wishing to validate my knowledge on a topic I discuss, feel free to PM me and I will be glad to chat with you.

Stay Safe

Moose

Real names as user names? Ridiculous idea, it would never work........

If you won't own up to it don't say it.

Thanks to everyone for their input...it has given me some ideas to work with.

Again, thanks to everyone for taking the time to post and help us provide the best forum we can for you!!!