Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EMTbravo

EMTBravo Elite?

33 posts in this topic

I'm thinking about a new class of membership, but can't decide which of the two I should apply the title to?

Option 1: EMTBravo Elite Members would have 1,000+ posts

Option 2: Members who use their real names

Would appreciate any help in deciding.

I think it a better thing to show who you are then make a 1,000 post of junk to get a title.

All the way

Seth,

Through my moderation duties, I have seen many really good posts from members who have only a small number of actual posts. I think a member's post count could be flawed, but we all are who we are, so we should let that be known.

Just some input...

Joe C.

I tend to agree with Joe on this. Members can dummy up a lot of bogus or unworthwhile posts. I would favor showing real names.

But that's my opinion.

Quality, not quantity....

Let's make it a system for recognizing those who are considered extra helpful and continue to contribute to the site positively.

The moderators and staff can identify and nominate those people as deserving of the tag, our way of saying "Thanks for what you do."

We know who most of those qualifying individuals are, already!

Did anyone else notice that so far its all administrative staff and mods who are responding to this? :rolleyes:

I agree about Quality over Quantity. I have seen some posts lately containing two words, little jokes to friends, or pointless jabs at other posters, so the 1000 post count is definately out.

I agree with making the membership of people who contribute quality posts loaded with facts and information and continue to speak constructively, not destructively. Those who use their names are good candidates also. If you use your real name you are more apt to talk with someone more respectively, rather than take pointless jabs at them and hide behind your screen name.

Just my opinions.

I would continue with allowing anonymous "screen names" to be used, provided the member has been verified, and their account status is in good standing.

A few people have already commented elsewhere, that they would walk away if required to divulge their true identities, so let's not drive those good members out by making that a requirement, that way we can recognize those members as well.

Quality, not quantity....

Let's make it a system for recognizing those who are considered extra helpful and continue to contribute to the site positively.

The moderators and staff can identify and nominate those people as deserving of the tag, our way of saying "Thanks for what you do."

We know who most of those qualifying individuals are, already!

Agreed. +1

I would continue with allowing anonymous "screen names" to be used, provided the member has been verified, and their account status is in good standing.

A few people have already commented elsewhere, that they would walk away if required to divulge their true identities, so let's not drive those good members out by making that a requirement, that way we can recognize those members as well.

Here Here.

After some though, I agree with the not divulging members names. Plus, it would be a logistical challenge to set up, which I currently don't have time for.

So, I think an "Elite Member" will be a member with 1,000 posts or more.

So it will be

Verified Member (could we rename this) 0-500 posts

Alpha Member 500-1,000 posts (and in good standing)

Elite Member 1,000+ posts (and in good standing)

Ideas? Comments? Feedback?

I agree with not haveing real names on the board is a good thing. I do like that a memeber has to have over 1,000 post to become elite. I am all for it... I guess I have some catching up to do.

Here Here.

Agreed. +1

Here is my point exactly about the 1000 post idea. Nothing wrong with these members, just using their posts as examples, but someone could make a thousand of these style posts and be considered Elite? I would like to see some type of "Quality" of posts be put into play here as well, not just "Quantity".

I am an ALPHA MEMBER. Under your new conditions that would demote me to a Verified Member. I only post on topics that I feel close to home. And I don't usually post 1 or 2 words either. With the excpetion of above. I just had to agree with not posting our real names. If I did, I would have 1 million posts. (Said in Dr Evil voice with pinky to lips).

I have no idea how many times I log onto this site. MANY, MANY times a day. I read some topics that I would generally not read but I don't post unless I know what I am talking about. I guess I don't want to be that guy to post just to post. And that happens here alot. If you look there will be a post then another post by the same person 1 min later. I can see if you forgot something then I would put sorry, but I forgot this point. Or just wait till you post again and make the point you forgot. Just my .02cents.

This site is about Learning and getting Knowledge from one another whether we like what we read or not. It isn't about who has the most posts and who is called what. What do you get out of being and ELITE MEMBER? I say 1 bash per month without being deleted or getting a strike against you. LOL Just kidding.

I think people get penalized who don't get to read and post all day as well. Some of us have the luxury of being able to log on all day and night. Well not me all the time. I will prob not post till Sun after I go to work later. Well maybe around Mid, but after that till Sun. So come Mon I will sit down and read what I missed. My prob is that I will read them all then reply to everything I missed. I don't know how to quote from one person and another person in the same post. So I will wait till the end, get my thoughts and then wrap everything into one POST. Not read, make reply to one person, then read and reply again. I think you see where I am going.

I don't know if you can change this but sometimes as above, I will be typing and somebody will be post about something that I might be typing about. It then looks when I post that I copied what the other person was saying. As Moose stated and I do believe great minds think alike that 1-2 word replies gives a curve to the ELITE MEMBER STATUS. Had I known that MOOSE was going to post that, I wouldn't have. Maybe a refresh button that will let me read while I am posting. I guess that is asking too much. Hey chalk me up for another post. 500+ to go. lol

Here is my point exactly about the 1000 post idea. Nothing wrong with these members, just using their posts as examples, but someone could make a thousand of these style posts and be considered Elite? I would like to see some type of "Quality" of posts be put into play here as well, not just "Quantity".

+1.

(I fully agreed with the post of one of the Admins - why should I post drivel?)

Besides, you posted this:

Did anyone else notice that so far its all administrative staff and mods who are responding to this?

Maybe it should've been a poll.

Next time I'll stay on the porch...

Edited by FFNick

Oneeyedmic, you are right on the money. It seems that sometimes it gets used as a "Chatroom" and one or two words get posted like what happened in this thread. If everyone did that the elite group would have to be at 5,000 posts. I still don't understand why there has to be ANOTHER level of status, we have alpha, verified and moderators. People are going to post if they are going to post no matter what level they are on.

A poll would have been a good idea.....

Just my rambling thoughts

Edited by LCFD968

Further development of the idea: maybe the members has to have 1,000+ posts AND be nominated for Elite membership based on the quality of the posts and the such.

Further development of the idea: maybe the members has to have 1,000+ posts AND be nominated for Elite membership based on the quality of the posts and the such.

Good in theory. Don't you think this could be pretty difficult logistically? It'd be easier to just hold back on someone with a considerable number of hollow posts than try to nominate everyone.

I think it a better thing to show who you are then make a 1,000 post of junk to get a title.

All the way

I agree 100% with Chris about the junk posts........ I think that there is way too much focus on quantity (Post Counts) and no focus at all on quality of what you post/contribute here or on any other BB such as this...... As for me, I am officially asking to have my post count reset to zero and lock it at the same...... Why? because post counts are not a true indication of ones contribution to this board........ And as far as hiding behind a screen name, there are a lot who say things here that they probably wouldn't say otherwise if their name was directly attached to it....... I like the real name idea myself.....Just my opinion...... Bill Johnson / PhotoUnit

+1.

(I fully agreed with the post of one of the Admins - why should I post drivel?)

Besides, you posted this:

Did anyone else notice that so far its all administrative staff and mods who are responding to this?

Maybe it should've been a poll.

Next time I'll stay on the porch...

Wow, very attentive to detail...but if you had CONTINUED to read my post I also offered further opinions to the discussion, and I didnt come into the discussion with the intent to attempt to make someone look foolish.

This is the exact type of postings I am talking about, the people who for some odd reason take things personally and come into a discussion with insults and pointless one liners, like in the corny movies, do these posts deserve to be labeled "Elite"?

I agree 100% with Chris about the junk posts........ I think that there is way too much focus on quantity (Post Counts) and no focus at all on quality of what you post/contribute here or on any other BB such as this...... As for me, I am officially asking to have my post count reset to zero and lock it at the same...... Why? because post counts are not a true indication of ones contribution to this board........ And as far as hiding behind a screen name, there are a lot who say things here that they probably wouldn't say otherwise if their name was directly attached to it....... I like the real name idea myself.....Just my opinion...... Bill Johnson / PhotoUnit

How about a point system. Let the Moderators judge how many post points a member should receive. Like on Iron Chef. The Chefs are judged on Appearance of dishes, Taste, Originality, and something else. I know this makes more work for the Moderators but if you want an ELITE status then you will think twice about the quality of your posts.

See the problem there is people will just try and start thread for the points. I try and start threads that I read about or think about. I want the most feedback on what I start. For legit posts brought on by all members.

Photounit what I write on here is what I would say to anyone's face. I am not hiding behind a screen name. I choose not to post my name because of my occupation. If somebody wants to know who I am so bad, they can PM me and maybe I will tell them. We have had this discussion before about real names.

what I write on here is what I would say to anyone's face. I am not hiding behind a screen name.

I can certainly vouch for that... spent a few afternoons partnerless as such! :lol:

I don't want to seem stupid, but would it be possible to get "extra" points for starting a valid thread? Or points going to the thread starter, determined by the number of replies it gets? Just my 2 cents...

I don't want to seem stupid, but would it be possible to get "extra" points for starting a valid thread? Or points going to the thread starter, determined by the number of replies it gets? Just my 2 cents...

We have sometihng like that in place now----Point Values

I thought the whole idea of "Alpha Members" were those who contribute quality posts and/or have been around for some time. Why then the need for yet another category of members? It's becoming quite difficult to keep track of all these membergroups you have setup, and if you make too many of them, they'll become meaningless. I've had a hard enough time trying to keep up with the hierarchy of all the staff groups you've created recently! As many have already said, post count means squat. My personal opinion is leave it the way it is. The Alpha Member category is already established, make better use of it instead of creating what in effect is the same thing but with a higher post count.

The entire topic idea itself and criteria for selection is being discussed, there still are a lot of things we need to look at.

Nothing is cast in stone, but you can bet the ranch there will be a lot of weight given to a member's contributions to the site, like I said earlier: Quality....

I like the Iron Chef reference, that kind of sums it up nicely, and It's not going to be easy.

PS - Since you're creating new groups right and left lately, make one for me called "EMTBravo Retired Moderator" :P

I thought the whole idea of "Alpha Members" were those who contribute quality posts and/or have been around for some time. Why then the need for yet another category of members? It's becoming quite difficult to keep track of all these membergroups you have setup, and if you make too many of them, they'll become meaningless. I've had a hard enough time trying to keep up with the hierarchy of all the staff groups you've created recently! As many have already said, post count means squat. My personal opinion is leave it the way it is. The Alpha Member category is already established, make better use of it instead of creating what in effect is the same thing but with a higher post count.

I have to agree with Chris on this one. I originally was not in favor of the so-called Alpha Member system and voiced my concerns as such in that thread. That being said, it seems like the Alpha Member is working. I don't know why there should be a higher tier. Perhaps rather than that, Member of the Month? Bravo Commendations? Just my very humble two cents.

-Joe DA BUFF

P.S. My sincerest thanks to the new Mods for answering my questions so quickly.

Edited by 10-Buff-4

I'm thinking about a new class of membership, but can't decide which of the two I should apply the title to?

Option 1: EMTBravo Elite Members would have 1,000+ posts

Would appreciate any help in deciding.

Why not have lots of classes? Einstein class for those who make scientifically accurate and important posts, EBWhite class for good grammar, spelling and creative syntax, DorothyParker class for posters who are brutal but so witty and charming when they do it that you still have to love them, the EFHutton class.... when EFHutton posts, people listen.

Maybe add some stick to the carrot. Hindenburg class for incendiary posters that go down in flames. Oboe class for blowhards; the Mr. Ed class is self explanatory.

Consider having threads that are restricted to real name posters, and maybe a post blocking system so I can set my computer receive Einstein-Parker-White-Hutton posts and keep out the Hindenburg-Oboes?

How about a point system. Let the Moderators judge how many post points a member should receive. Like on Iron Chef. The Chefs are judged on Appearance of dishes, Taste, Originality, and something else. I know this makes more work for the Moderators but if you want an ELITE status then you will think twice about the quality of your posts. See the problem there is people will just try and start thread for the points. I try and start threads that I read about or think about. I want the most feedback on what I start. For legit posts brought on by all members.

I like this idea, and the reference made to it. The Iron Chef is a perfect way to explain it. I would love to see quality a higher priority rather than quantity. This site was created by Seth to increase knowledge and share experiences with brother/sister firefighters, Police, and EMS people everywhere. The more quality posts, loaded with information we all can learn from, the better. This site is quickly becoming a worldwide data source for us, and we should try and maintain the professional, Quality, posting that has made it so informative and educational. I Think thats what Seth is trying to accomplish with the different levels of membership; Create membership ranks so that members can try and achieve a higher ranking and gain more special features and privileges to use and make the overall experience not only educational, but entertaining as well. Thats what makes this site so much better than the rest.

But ofcourse, thats only my opinion.

Photounit what I write on here is what I would say to anyone's face. I am not hiding behind a screen name. I choose not to post my name because of my occupation. If somebody wants to know who I am so bad, they can PM me and maybe I will tell them. We have had this discussion before about real names.

That is totally understandable brother, and should be honored by this site. I understand due to your job you would need, or WANT to retain some privacy, with all the nutjobs you deal with at work looking for revenge!! :o:rolleyes:

Good Idea brother.