Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Monty

Volunteer Firefighters Getting Burned By Gas Prices

38 posts in this topic

Here's a new spin on an old story. Guess there's some merit to it, but I wonder how much more they're spending in gas this year compared to last? Yeah, they're probably spending a lot but the incremental difference isn't that big - although maybe it's enough to push it over the top.

http://www.wwnytv.net/index.php/2008/04/29...-by-gas-prices/

This year volunteers got a $200 state credit, but Kron points out the obvious - it’s not nearly enough.

“That covers a tank and a half of gas and that’s a week’s driving,” he said.

And I thought filling a tank at $50 was a lot - what do they drive up there that it costs $130 to fill up - a tank :lol: and at $3.729 .....

Volunteers get a deduction off of their income taxes for the mileage they drive for being a volunteer. This includes driving to calls. It's the same as expensing mileage for any other charitable orginization. Talk to your accountant.

Ok fine that scene could be 15 miles away.. average car thats about 1/2 a gallon of gas how many calls is thes guy running that that should affect a response decision.

At lets say a 50 cent increase in fuel costs over a months time its not really that much of a difference where I would consider not responding .

this shouldnt even be an issue for response of E.M.T's

The problem with the Charitalbe deduction it's a lot less then the business deduction and really does not cover the cost of running your car with gas at $4 plus.

i know the program covers gas through how many miles you drive, but what about the departments (VFD and VAC's) that let members drive to the scene. some people keep their cars running with their blue/green lights flashing. does this program factor loss of gas idling?

that's your own fault if you leave your car running while on scene... I understand leaving a fire rig or ambulance running while on scene, but turn off your damn car! (With that being said-- unless your car is parked in a dangerous location and you need emergency lights to protect your vehicle)

(With that being said-- unless your car is parked in a dangerous location and you need emergency lights to protect your vehicle)

that was what i was trying to mention.

Ok fine that scene could be 15 miles away.. average car thats about 1/2 a gallon of gas how many calls is thes guy running that that should affect a response decision.

At lets say a 50 cent increase in fuel costs over a months time its not really that much of a difference where I would consider not responding .

this shouldnt even be an issue for response of E.M.T's

I think youre a little high on your average mpg for vehicles. 15 MPG is a more reasonable figure in this day and age.

In your scenario there, a scen 15 miles away, is 1 gallon of gas burned. Plus the return trip, so thats two gallons for that one call. at roughly $4 a gallon, thats $8 for just one call. at one call a week that would be $416 a year. Of course this is assuming a 15 mile response. Which is possible in the more rural areas, around here, Fairfield and lower westchester counties, not so much, but not impossible.

With the rising gas prices one would assume that a lot of other things within the communities we serve in will be affected , and nothing will be done to correct them. I'm assuming this reimbursement program would be one of those things that won't get fixed.

In some towns you get a FREE POOL PASS for the SUMMER if you are a VOLUNTEER whether it be FD or VAC. And let me tell you, it isn't cheap to go to the pool if YOU HAVE TO PAY.

If you work for a CITY/TOWN/VILLAGE you should be able to fill up once a week at the HOUSE GAS PUMPS. Let's face it, Cities/Town/Villages aren't paying top dollar for gas or they would be bankrupt. OF course the gas is proably mixed with Vinegar or something but the Trucks, cars keep on running. Good standing members of the above get a swipe card and a pin number and it will only work once a week. It would save some of you a little money wouldn't it? Of course you would have those not so honest people fill like 100 5gal cannisters at a single time.

In some towns you get a FREE POOL PASS for the SUMMER if you are a VOLUNTEER whether it be FD or VAC. And let me tell you, it isn't cheap to go to the pool if YOU HAVE TO PAY.

If you work for a CITY/TOWN/VILLAGE you should be able to fill up once a week at the HOUSE GAS PUMPS. Let's face it, Cities/Town/Villages aren't paying top dollar for gas or they would be bankrupt. OF course the gas is proably mixed with Vinegar or something but the Trucks, cars keep on running. Good standing members of the above get a swipe card and a pin number and it will only work once a week. It would save some of you a little money wouldn't it? Of course you would have those not so honest people fill like 100 5gal cannisters at a single time.

I don't really see what getting a pool pass has to do with it but I do have to say I agree with the second part of your post. I agree that all city,town and village workers should get a free tank of gas a week but don't really ever see that happening anytime soon. They do get the gas at a discounted rate plus most of those workers in my opinion are under paid for the work that they do anyway.

I don't really see what getting a pool pass has to do with it but I do have to say I agree with the second part of your post. I agree that all city,town and village workers should get a free tank of gas a week but don't really ever see that happening anytime soon. They do get the gas at a discounted rate plus most of those workers in my opinion are under paid for the work that they do anyway.

I Second that!

The point is people are complaining about the Gas prices because they volunteer. Well I'm saying not only do you get to get up in the middle of the night to help someone for free, but now when you wake up the next day you can go to the POOL FOR FREE as well.

Yes, the pool pass in our Town is a nice"perk" if you use it. I personally have never gotten the pass. I happen to have my own pool which I never have time to use! I think the passes are used mostly by the wives and children of FD volunteers.

I don't think the Town would ever let us use their gas at the discounted rate. Would be way too difficult to track. All it would take would be one person to abuse it and it will ruin it for everyone.

The only thing out there for us is claiming it on our tax returns. Every year I tell my accountant how many calls I do and he takes care of it from there. For those that file a short form, they are out of luck.

Greenwich has a $7.50 a call reimbursement program for volunteers (to account for use and wear/tear of your POV). Unfortunately, our friends at the IRS came along and said it is taxable income so we now get taxed on it (it used to be $5.000 and now $7.50 to cover the tax). Members are only to submit for the funds if they use their vehicle (i.e. if you respond to the firehouse for Call A and you ride out for calls B, C and D, you only get paid for Call A).

Yes, the pool pass in our Town is a nice"perk" if you use it. I personally have never gotten the pass. I happen to have my own pool which I never have time to use! I think the passes are used mostly by the wives and children of FD volunteers.

I don't think the Town would ever let us use their gas at the discounted rate. Would be way too difficult to track. All it would take would be one person to abuse it and it will ruin it for everyone.

The only thing out there for us is claiming it on our tax returns. Every year I tell my accountant how many calls I do and he takes care of it from there. For those that file a short form, they are out of luck.

I would have to agree that mostly wives and children use the pass but it still saves a family about $500 for 4months and that is not counting crappy weather days either. I would gladly take it for free.

The problem would be abuse. That is sad but it is reality. I am beginining to see more and more that people don't have any MORALS.

How do they figure on a tax form what you spent? Do you have a seperate car just for driving to the VAC? Of course you don't. Prob about 4+ miles to the VAC right? So if you do 500 calls a year how much do you save? Just curious as I have never heard that you can write it off. I know that you can write off miles or something by going to a "B" job.

Greenwich has a $7.50 a call reimbursement program for volunteers (to account for use and wear/tear of your POV). Unfortunately, our friends at the IRS came along and said it is taxable income so we now get taxed on it (it used to be $5.000 and now $7.50 to cover the tax). Members are only to submit for the funds if they use their vehicle (i.e. if you respond to the firehouse for Call A and you ride out for calls B, C and D, you only get paid for Call A).

well its nice, but you still get screwed

How do they figure on a tax form what you spent? Do you have a seperate car just for driving to the VAC? Of course you don't. Prob about 4+ miles to the VAC right? So if you do 500 calls a year how much do you save? Just curious as I have never heard that you can write it off. I know that you can write off miles or something by going to a "B" job.

I don't know - my accountant takes care of it for me. I assume he just figures the mileage x calls x what the federal allowance for mileage is. It is probably not much of a deduction, but anything is better than nothing!!!

I have to add my $.02 in here...

Gas prices suck, I've accepted it and moved on. Times change things get expensive sure its annoying but I see no use complaining about it because its not going to change anything (except my bloodpressure). Gas prices would have to be ALOT more than $4-5/gal for me to stop responding to calls.

Maybe it's just me...but I think there's more important things in life than gas prices.

so this is the grand conspiracy by the career firefighters to get rid of volunteers very devious lol

I have to add my $.02 in here...

Gas prices suck, I've accepted it and moved on. Times change things get expensive sure its annoying but I see no use complaining about it because its not going to change anything (except my bloodpressure). Gas prices would have to be ALOT more than $4-5/gal for me to stop responding to calls.

Maybe it's just me...but I think there's more important things in life than gas prices.

Well said! I think the gas prices have made us all a little cranky. Let's not take it out on each other and for heaven's sake, let's not make this a paid/volunteer debate!

Chris could you imagine if you had to pay to fill up your HELI? How much would that be?

Just my 2 cents to add in................

Gas prices are terrible for everyone, but I CHOOSE to volunteer so I accept the cost associated with my choice. Now that is not saying that when I hear some run of the mill odor investigation or something similar on the other side of town that I do not stop and listen first to see if it is worth wasting a 1/4 or 1/2 gallon of gas to run to..........

I think the pool perk is a great idea for the folks that get that, doesn't help the cost of getting to calls, but it does allow you and your family to enjoy some leisure time in the summer at the pool for no out of pocket expense. Not every muni does that but it sure would be something to think about as a way of saying "thanks, we know what it costs you to volunteer and this is just a little something in appreciation".

Well said! I think the gas prices have made us all a little cranky. Let's not take it out on each other and for heaven's sake, let's not make this a paid/volunteer debate!

AMEN to THAT brother!!! Im so tired of this senseless paid/vs volly thing that ALWAYS pops up in just about every discussion. Someone can start a discussion about washing a TRUCK and someone would start the stupid argument!! :lol:

Lets keep it friendly brothers...

Stay Safe and buy a Hybrid Vehicle!! :rolleyes: (I put a tear drop light on the handlebars of my ten speed)

Moose

If i am not mistaken property taxes are reduced for volunteers in some communities. Anyway if something you like costs money ie. owning a boat and you just can't afford it what do most people do???? They stop boating. Stop volunteering....

AMEN to THAT brother!!! Im so tired of this senseless paid/vs volly thing that ALWAYS pops up in just about every discussion. Someone can start a discussion about washing a TRUCK and someone would start the stupid argument!! :lol:

Lets keep it friendly brothers...

Stay Safe and buy a Hybrid Vehicle!! :rolleyes: (I put a tear drop light on the handlebars of my ten speed)

Moose

Hey Moose, how fast do you have to pedal to get the light rotating??? :P

The volunteer EMS service in town gives its members $10 gas cards for every call they run.

If i am not mistaken property taxes are reduced for volunteers in some communities. Anyway if something you like costs money ie. owning a boat and you just can't afford it what do most people do???? They stop boating. Stop volunteering....

I don't think anyone here is saying that they can't afford to vollie anymore. I think people are just venting some of their frustrations. Everyone goes through that every once in a while. I would bet my life that YOU do the same. Why don't you relax a little and get off your high horse! I am sure it's not only people who volunteer that are complaining either open your eyes a little bro and stop being so narrow minded.

The volunteer EMS service in town gives its members $10 gas cards for every call they run.

WoW must be nice to have the money to do that.

It does sound like a good perk though, but is it fair for the people who live a block away to get one?

WoW must be nice to have the money to do that.

It does sound like a good perk though, but is it fair for the people who live a block away to get one?

It could be just another incentive for that person to go on as many calls as possible given the fact that they are so close to the station.

Edited by bvfdjc316

hummm lets see.....i go on about 25 calls a month... 250 bucks in gas....where do i sign up!!!!!!!!!!!