Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rfdu39

Pray for Sen. Ted Kennedy

24 posts in this topic

As many of you know the other day Sen. Ted Kennedy was rushed to Mass General in Boston because of several seizures. Today it was announced that the seizures were caused by a malignant brain tumor. So lets all keep Sen. Kennedy in our prayers and hope that he recovers.

You pray for him, I'll pray for Mary Jo Kopechne.

There is certainly many other people deserving of MY prayers....

You pray for him, I'll pray for Mary Jo Kopechne.

That will make two of us. Kennedy is akin to a murderer in my book.

The worst things always seem to happen to the best of us.

Wow! I'm certainly no Ted Kennedy fan but you guys are Cruel! :lol: I guess a "higher authority"will judge him soon enough.

Wow! I'm certainly no Ted Kennedy fan but you guys are Cruel! :lol: I guess a "higher authority"will judge him soon enough.

It's one thing not to be a fan of a politican.

It's different when it comes to Fat Ted.

When I read the topic I thought, WTF? I doubt there are too many liberal lovers in the fire service. Guess I was correct.

i hate ted, but as a human and a catholic i gotta atleast give the guy a prayer.

Edited by 99subi

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"

I will pray for Ted and his family. They have suffered more than their share of tragedy.

Again, people really need to be educated about things that directly impact their careers and their lives, ignorance is just sad. Sen. Kennedy has been an enormous supporter of the IAFF and was integral in the formation of our national EMS system. He has also been a champion of health benefits for the 9/11 responders. Take some time to educate yourself by reading the below links and excerpts.

http://www.greeleyfirefighters.com/index.c...mp;HomeID=75791

http://news.yahoo.com/s/usnw/20080520/pl_u...ealth_challenge

http://www.ncpers.org/news/08082007article.asp

In January 1973, Senators Cranston, Kennedy, and others reintroduced EMS legislation. Supporting arguments for the EMS Systems Development Act were made as they had been in the past. Political leaders described the crisis in public health. Senator Kennedy stated: "Nowhere is the health care crisis . . . more evident . . . than in the appalling lack of high quality emergency medical services."25 The medical conditions used to argue for the RMP and for the Highway Safety Act of 1966 were highlighted again. It was believed that 350 000 deaths from heart disease and thousands of deaths and injuries from trauma could be eliminated with rapid, quality care.25 The failure of previous legislation and federal policy was also highlighted to argue for this act. Data were presented showing that, despite years of work, only 7% of EMS vehicles met design standards, and 35% of EMS staff had minimally acceptable training.25 The failure to develop regional EMS councils, quality communication, and universal access to care was also highlighted. The US EMS system was compared unfavorably with Moscow’s EMS system, which provided care within 7 minutes.25

Senators Clinton and Kennedy, along with their colleagues, Senators Schumer, Lautenberg and Menendez, introduced the 9/11 Heroes Health Improvement Act which would authorize $1.9 billion in grants for medical and mental health monitoring and treatment for those exposed to the dust and toxins in the days, weeks, and months following the attacks. In addition to providing an avenue for their colleagues in the Senate to better understand and address these issues, it is the Senators' hope that the HELP Committee will also mark up the legislation soon.

Senators Kennedy and Cranston Ask Questions, 1979.

In 1979, the GAO produced a report specifically for Senators Edward Kennedy and Alan Cranston, which summarizes information the GAO provided to their offices for hearings held on February 28, 1979, on the emergency medical services ( EMS) systems program. The GAO wrote: “As you requested, we reviewed the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare’s implementation of the Emergency Medical Services Amendments of 1976; specifically we reviewed the extent that the amendments have helped obtain community financial support to continue operating EMS systems. EMS regional management organizations are not adequately planning for their financial self-sufficiency, nor are they obtaining firm financial commitments from local governments to continue regional systems at the conclusion of federal funding, although plans for financial self-sufficiency and local government endorsement of these plans are required by the 1976 amendments.”

December 4, 2007

Student Loan Forgiveness for Fire Fighters Approved

September 10, 2007 – The U.S. Congress has approved legislation creating a new student loan forgiveness program for full-time professional fire fighters and other public safety employees who have served their communities for at least 10 years. The College Cost Reduction and Access Act, HR 2669, passed the House 292-97 and the Senate 79-12.

The president is expected to sign the bill into law in the near future.

“The rising costs of higher education have made it more difficult for many individuals with student loan debt to pursue a career in public safety,” says IAFF General President Harold Schaitberger. “By making the burden of student loans more affordable, this program will not only reward those who commit their lives to serve their communities and protect their neighbors, but encourage more young people to do so.”

Under the new program, fire fighters who have made 10 years of payments on eligible federal direct loans while employed in a public service job will be entitled to the cancellation of such loans’ remaining balance and principal. The benefit does not apply to privately financed student loans.

Championed by Chairman George Miller (D-CA) in the House and Chairman Edward Kennedy (D-MA) in the Senate, HR 2669 also increases student aid and reduces the national debt by $750 million.

From Sen. Kennedy's Website: One day in Iraq could employ 4,919 fire fighters, 4,222 police patrol officers, or 7,052 paramedics and emergency medical technicians for one year each. Source: U.S. Department of Labor, Bureau of Labor Statistics. (Average annual salary for firefighter $39,640. Average annual salary for police & sheriff patrol officer $46,180. Average salary for paramedic/emergency medical technician $27, 650.)

Our nation’s fire fighters and other first responders protect our families, our communities and our nation,” says Senator Kennedy. “They deserve this basic legislation, and we owe it to them to get this bill signed into law. The IAFF has worked tirelessly for years to make it happen. We’re close to the finish line at long last, and we won’t stop until we get the job done.”

http://www.emsvillage.com/articles/article.cfm?id=2275

http://www.emsresponder.com/web/online/Top...is-/1$6842

S.2291 Responsible Public Readiness and Emergency Preparedness Act

Title: A bill to provide for the establishment of a biodefense injury compensation program and to provide indemnification for producers of countermeasures.

Sponsor: Sen Kennedy, Edward M. [MA] (introduced 2/15/2006) Cosponsors (5)

Latest Major Action: 2/15/2006 Referred to Senate committee. Status: Read twice and referred to the Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions

http://www.firerescue1.com/laborissues/art...nders-unionize/

http://www.fire-professionals.com/blog/?p=89

http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jht...ntifier=3010937

Again, people really need to be educated about things that directly impact their careers and their lives, ignorance is just sad. Sen. Kennedy has been an enormous supporter of the IAFF and was integral in the formation of our national EMS system. He has also been a champion of health benefits for the 9/11 responders. Take some time to educate yourself by reading the below links and excerpts.

Scott-

As usual, well put.

Scott-

As usual, well put.

Well, it's always a good idea not to discuss religion or politics. It opens up a can of worms, like just happened here.

We could all use a prayer!

Tuna

Ted Kennedy for Lifeguard! That whole family was and is nothing but a disgrace to Politics and brought most of their hardships on themselves, not to mention the lives of others they destroyed. Time and time again they've gotten away with things that you and me would be tossed in jail for. Have another cocktail Teddy! "Era,era,era, where's my Martini?"

I don't care what he did for the fire service, the man killed someone, then tried to cover it up. There's nothing uneducated about my saying that. He's a snake, he always has been a snake, and he always will be a snake. He can't buy back his soul no matter how much good he tries to do in Washington.

"Judge not, lest ye be judged"

I will pray for Ted and his family. They have suffered more than their share of tragedy.

The death of Mary Jo Kopechne was a tragedy. Teddy's response to it was criminal.

Has he championed life vests on wooden bridges in Chappaquiddick? Or is he waiting for John Kerry to arrive on his swift boat so they can continue searching for Mary Jo?

I am no fan of Ted Kennedy but as a practicing Catholic I must pray for his recovery.

"(Average annual salary for firefighter $39,640. Average annual salary for police & sheriff patrol officer $46,180. Average salary for paramedic/emergency medical technician $27, 650.)"

Gotta love that...

I strongly dislike him and hate his politics, but hope he does get well soon.

Sponsoring a few public safety bills don't make you a saint. You don't get something for nothing, just ask any DC lobbyist. Really, you can pass all the bills you want but until someone decides to create a national EMS body and take it out of it's obscure office in NHTSA HQ thus giving it the respect and authority it requires, don't bother me.

Edited by Goose

The death of Mary Jo Kopechne was a tragedy. Teddy's response to it was criminal.

Has he championed life vests on wooden bridges in Chappaquiddick? Or is he waiting for John Kerry to arrive on his swift boat so they can continue searching for Mary Jo?

What does John Kerry have to do with this?

Well...what can I say other then I love to watch the different shades of red on his face when he's on TV. While he may be a supporter of the IAFF, pretty much everything that comes out of his irish arse I for the most part disagree with. I wish him a speedy recovery as a human being myself...whether he is one or not is an entirely different story. Maybe someone gave him a glass of water instead of scotch and he went into a withdrawal.

I get the support we turn out on these pages for strangers with whom we share the bond of related careers or communities, but what makes good ol' Ted so special? In the past year there have been other elected officials throughout the country stricken with illness who have not gotten this out pouring of support. How about the other thousands of Americans stricken with cancer right now? Where is their support thread? Hell we could keep it to emergency responders and have everyone spending hours in prayer everyday just to cover their names. I get why the media jumped on it, Kennedy is a household name, but why are we so quick to follow?

...that's how politicians thrive. They support a large spectrum of causes (especially the easy ones, not like emergency services is a risky or controversial cause) and people seem to magically forget all the awful things they have done.

I was wrong though, Kennedy is a true supporter of emergency services... his car and alcoholism assure we'll always have fresh victims to tend to.

While I do not wish Cancer upon anyone...ANYONE....Sen Kennedy is a first class P.O.S.