Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Mount Vernon Running With Only ONE Truck Company

49 posts in this topic

Barry- as far as your reply I do understand that the independant company is not within the govt level either by the state or the feds however if the worst and I pray to god the worst never happens the feds,nys,osha,niosh etc will be in there picking through the rubble, training records, sops,sogs,by laws, response procedures etc will be combed through and the truth will come out. This will not benefit the poor hard working ff or fire officer who tragically died because of the politics that run the dept not to only mention FDMV but anywhere. It amazes me how this fire service world has learned by other tragic events from the fire service world but the old thought of "it will never happen to us " still is present. Case in point- march 1999-Gramatan ave fire, 8 firefighters trapped, yes we were lucky that night and when we all crawled out the only 2 members of FDMV IFO the fire building were the Chief of the Dept and ther Fire commissioner, the next day was like nothing happened. Some depts make changes to help to prevent other mishaps, many depts bury their heads in the sand like nothing happened! This pertains to all of us.No matter where you are, what you do,who you fight fires for its all the same and is a serious problem. Bottom line is to be safe and not over extend yourselves and keep an eye open for the unexpexted, b safe jjc

Are the still running with only 1 truck company? If so how long will this be going on for?

for now lol we really need TL 1 in service,hopefully it can be taken care of ASAP.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't think I'd hit a nerve. I guess I should have said Professional Career Firefighters, who are assigned as Motor Pump Operators and Ladder Co. Chauffers. Relax!

I don't think you get it! I speek for all the career firefighters in the same boat as those of us who have to pull up to a fully involved building by yourself " assigned to the pump" how about rescue try to get a hose line in operation vent ,and what ever else gets thrown at you in the first few minutes. In a combo dept like mine the volunters are coming and god bless them that they show up or there will be a lot of dead around. Some day maybe we will have the right manpower on the first due or maybe a regional dept may work, I would like to see that.

post-289-1212455397.jpg

Edited by PCFD ENG58

PCFD if you don't mind me asking how many people are on your first due?

ONE MAN with no volunteers assigned to ENG 58 or 59

Edited by PCFD ENG58

I don't think you get it! I speek for all the career firefighters in the same boat as those of us who have to pull up to a fully involved building by yourself " assigned to the pump" how about rescue try to get a hose line in operation vent ,and what ever else gets thrown at you in the first few minutes. In a combo dept like mine the volunters are coming and god bless them that they show up or there will be a lot of dead around. Some day maybe we will have the right manpower on the first due or maybe a regional dept may work, I would like to see that.

Oh the good old 70's. You don't see them like that anymore (and as often).

WOW you sure have your work cut out for you. Hopefully that sh** will change for you real soon(probably not) but until then stay safe.

What are the specs on Truck 3? I know it is an E-One, but what year? Is it first in line for replacement?

WHAT!!!!! im no firefighter but that dosent sound right to me either. you mean there is one man in the engine thats it? how is that possible. and pcfd is port chester right?

WHAT!!!!! im no firefighter but that dosent sound right to me either. you mean there is one man in the engine thats it? how is that possible. and pcfd is port chester right?

My Wife's cousin is a career guy in Port Chester and that was my reaction when I realized recently that he is on his own for the most part...

Sick.....Sad....Dangerous....take your pick....

Sorry I am entering this late reply to FirNaTine post # 16, However the record must be corrected, He talked about regionalization of combo Depts with only career drivers Let me tell you my friend, Eastchester are career professional firefighters and officers with a minimun of 2 on a rig at a time and sometimes 3.

So please state facts correctly!!!! As for the other Dept you mentionioned, All of those other Dept's send their Firefighters and Officers to the Fire Academy requiring them to meet NY State standards as Career Firefighters NOT Chauffeurs.

Edited by demps121

Sorry I am entering this late reply to FirNaTine post # 16, However the record must be corrected, He talked about regionalization of combo Depts with only career drivers Let me tell you my friend, Eastchester are career professional firefighters and officers with a minimun of 2 on a rig at a time and sometimes 3.

So please state facts correctly!!!! As for the other Dept you mentionioned, All of those other Dept's send their Firefighters and Officers to the Fire Academy requiring them to meet NY State standards as Career Firefighters NOT Chauffeurs.

As I stated earlier, most people in these forums do not know how other departments operate. Nor do they know why these departments are set up the way they are.

Yes it would be great to run just like FDNY with 5-6 on an engine and 6 on the truck. And who says that those numbers are the right ones?

If more people took the time to learn about how other departments are organized and operates (and I'm not saying to become a buff), I think there would be more respect for the job that other career FF are doing.

As I stated earlier, most people in these forums do not know how other departments operate. Nor do they know why these departments are set up the way they are.

Yes it would be great to run just like FDNY with 5-6 on an engine and 6 on the truck. And who says that those numbers are the right ones?

If more people took the time to learn about how other departments are organized and operates (and I'm not saying to become a buff), I think there would be more respect for the job that other career FF are doing.

First off I have 25yrs in the fire service so I think I know a little bit about how other Depts. are organized and operate. Secondly, I've got the utmost respect for all ffs. both Career and Volunteer, regardless of how many are assigned to an apparatus or what their actual job title and function is. Third, don't get pissed off at me for my comment, get angry with your peers. I only repeated what I've heard over the course of my career from members of all Depts. including the smaller Combos. I've heard many guys from these smaller Depts. poke fun at themselves, saying all they do is "hook up and look up". So if you want to get pissed off, go after those you work with who are instilling in the minds of others this image of your Job. Take it out on your so called fellow Union Brothers at the next meeting. Their the ones downplaying and mocking your existence, which I for one neither agree with or believe for one second. Stay Safe!

People are getting mad at the wrong person here. firnatine didn't slam anyone or belittle the job anyone here does. Its a sad fact that many dept send guys to fires with the hope that volleys will be able to show up to get the job done. PCFD, you roll up on scene, what do you guys do until the volleys show up or god forbid the day they don't show up?? You "hook up and look up" because there isn't much you can do. Do you disagree? yes hook up and look up is an over simplification, but can you guys really start an effective initial attack and search upon arrival? They don't send you guys in with enough manpower to do the job. Thats not a secret. Its the same crap deal with every dept that runs with paid chauffeurs.

Fir natine you say you speak to people in the fire service, maybe you speak to idiots? I do not believe you have spoken to FF's from Eastchester, so don't speak as if you know,if you don't, you are getting info second hand.

So is Mount Vernon still running with only one truck company.

Lets get back on TRACK this is about a dept. using only one ladder company when it should have 3 of them on the road and 1 spare.

Edited by CPAGE

This topic has gotten way off course, and, as topic starter, I elect to close it.

If you wish to discuss further other issues that developed in this thread, please create a new, pertinent topic.

Thanks.