Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Lower Westchester Water Emergency (?) 6-18-08

17 posts in this topic

Is this going to affect firefighting operations? Are FD's in Greenburgh making contigency plans?

PRESS RELEASE – URGENT!

June 18, 2008

The NYC DEP will be performing some inspection and repair work on the Catskill Aqueduct South of Kensico Reservoir on Thursday, June 19, 2008. This is a second attempt since the June 16th shutdown had to be aborted ¼ of the way through the 24 hour episode. They will be shutting off this important water supply for 24 hours starting 12:00 midnight tonight. This event impacts much of the water supply for lower Westchester County including the Town of Greenburgh since this aqueduct normally handles 40% of the total water supply for NYC and lower Westchester County. Municipal suppliers are putting their contingency plans into operation which rely on sharing water from back-up sources to try and meet everyone’s water demands.

We are asking for ALL WATER CUSTOMERS to conserve water as much as possible on Thursday by not watering lawns, washing cars or any non-essential uses. We have already contacted the large commercial users and the golf courses of this request.

Any questions please call the Greenburgh Water Dept. 24/7 at 993-1592.

Sincerely,

Randy Cairns

Asst. Superintendent

Battalion 18 was toned out to call 60-Control several minutes ago... Possibly in relation to this?

Battalion 18 was toned out to call 60-Control several minutes ago... Possibly in relation to this?

Battalion 18 was toned out for a transformer fire in Pelham

i recieved an email from my chief (elmsford 2111) that any substantial fire we may have during this 24 hour period we may have to request tankers.

i recieved an email from my chief (elmsford 2111) that any substantial fire we may have during this 24 hour period we may have to request tankers.

Yonkers has one, don't they? Who else in Lower West.Cnty has a tanker, anybody? If ya think about it, their not a bad asset to add to your fleet. They may just come in handy one day.

I think that this is agreat idea.

Whats the response time for a tanker to go to Lower Westchester? 20 Minutes? Unless they are standing-by some where close then its a long distance to Greenburgh from to the nearest tankers in Armonk or Pleasantville.

Whats the response time for a tanker to go to Lower Westchester? 20 Minutes? Unless they are standing-by some where close then its a long distance to Greenburgh from to the nearest tankers in Armonk or Pleasantville.

Pocantico Hills also has a Tanker - T12.

Edited by SteveOFD

Peoples pools are filled can you say DRAFT . Hope it is not needed or are the Tankers.

Stay safe all and stay low.

Metro North has a tanker car. It can put into service. There are also streams, pond, lakes and pools. Every good MPO knows how to draft. There is water pressure, its just low.

If ya think about it, their not a bad asset to add to your fleet. They may just come in handy one day.

I cannot see going to your comissioners and asking for a piece of equipment to sit your bay "Just in case"

Just my two cents

Yonkers FD does have a tanker. You can see it in this shot:

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage.php...um=40&pos=7

I'm suprised that tankers are not being relocated for a "sleepover" pre-emptively. I heard that water may not even be existent at times. It would be a smart move to position the Metro North tanker cars for the duration of this incident on sidings on the Harlem and Hudson lines, both of which run through the Greenburgh water district.

I don't even want to THINK about a "worst case scenario" ...what happens if, say, they can't get a closed valve open again...then what????hmmmmmmm

I don't even want to THINK about a "worst case scenario" ...what happens if, say, they can't get a closed valve open again...then what????hmmmmmmm

thats easy blast it

I cannot see going to your comissioners and asking for a piece of equipment to sit your bay "Just in case"

Many departments already do, whether it's a tanker or some other item......

Just my two cents

I see many depts. have "frontline" apparatus that sits in the bay "just in case" and when the tones go out for any available drivers or in undermanned career depts, no manning for the "just in case"

But the commissioners went for it.

Yonkers FD does have a tanker. You can see it in this shot:

http://www.x635photos.com/displayimage.php...um=40&pos=7

I'm suprised that tankers are not being relocated for a "sleepover" pre-emptively. I heard that water may not even be existent at times. It would be a smart move to position the Metro North tanker cars for the duration of this incident on sidings on the Harlem and Hudson lines, both of which run through the Greenburgh water district.

Its not just Greenburgh.

Eastchester, New Rochelle, the Pelhams, Larchmont, town of Mamaroneck are also affected. Don't know who else.