Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Banning Silly String From Parades

34 posts in this topic

This is something that I've always been a proponent of. I think the use of Silly String is obnoxious at parades. The contents of most Silly String, especially the cheap versions sold by the fly-by-night vendors who roam the parade route, can be damaging to fire engine parts and finishes.

Not to mention ruining dress uniform pants.

Ban On ‘Silly String’ During Fire Dept. Parades Being Proposed

THE LONG ISLAND TOWN OF HUNTINGTON, NEW YORK, will be hearing a proposal tonight to ban the use of Silly String “or similar gaseous, liquid or semi-liquid product or substance” during “parades, processions, fairs and expositions” within the town.

The local Fire Chief’s Council says that the substance damaged the finish and weather stripping on fire trucks during parades. The use of Silly String “has become common practice during holiday and commemorative parades” in town, according to the fire council, which has asked the board to ban it.

FULL STORY: http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/...0,7698927.story (May not be able to access link due to Newsday's archive fees)

On the flip side, it's great for the military in Iraq who use it to detect tripwires that trigger booby traps.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silly_String

While it is obnoxious, do we really need to enact a law?

We have an ordiance in Town of Bedford that the cart vendors have to obtain a permit from the Town to solict and that is all Vendors not just the Parades.

When they started enforcing that they all pretty much stopped.

The Party Snappers in my opinion where worse than silly string.

If the Parents would control their children at Parades maybe this would not be an issue.

I would think if it was thrown or sprayed on Mommys Volvo or Beemer it would a diffrent story.

While it is obnoxious, do we really need to enact a law?

We have an ordiance in Town of Bedford that the cart vendors have to obtain a permit from the Town to solict and that is all Vendors not just the Parades.

When they started enforcing that they all pretty much stopped.

The Party Snappers in my opinion where worse than silly string.

If the Parents would control their children at Parades maybe this would not be an issue.

I would think if it was thrown or sprayed on Mommys Volvo or Beemer it would a diffrent story.

I agree. I believe a town board has more important things to discuss than silly string.

Outlaw those carts all together, they are a menace and get in the way. And I agree, dont blame the 5 year old, blame their so called "parents", they think its cute. Theyre the same ones who let their kids run around restaurants and ruin everyone elses dinner. I love the "if you dont sit down theres no desert", then after they run around for the next half hour, here comes the ice cream!!!

I neglected to add in my post that it takes the cart vendors 6 to 8 months to get the required permit and since the issue was pushed about 12 years ago we have been lucky enough to not have seen them since.

Outlaw those carts all together, they are a menace and get in the way. And I agree, dont blame the 5 year old, blame their so called "parents", they think its cute. Theyre the same ones who let their kids run around restaurants and ruin everyone elses dinner. I love the "if you dont sit down theres no desert", then after they run around for the next half hour, here comes the ice cream!!!

Agreed!! Few things annoy me more than these guys walking along, darting in and out of companies marching, apparatus driving, and bands playing. I really feel it degrades a good, decent parade. Just throwin' it out there, someone selling these items outside the actual parade route (off the road) is one thing, but as I said, darting in out and around these guys, is another.

I hope that they do not have these vendors at Mount Kisco's parade on Friday, however, if it is like past years then they will be there. I have gotten some coll toys from these vendors many years ago but now I can not stand them.

And I can not tell you the amount of times I have seen silly string on a rig during a parade, it defeats the purpose of the parade if someone is going to dirty up the rig.

Plus one for the anti-cart carnies.......

I remember as kid being a huge fan of those carts and I still see kids keeping them in business. The parades are for our residents and their families. If they want silly string let 'em have silly string. How often is it getting on the rigs or on our uniforms? Either way so long as its removed in a timely manner and not allowed to dry on it doesn't damage the finish.

Agreed!! Few things annoy me more than these guys walking along, darting in and out of companies marching, apparatus driving, and bands playing. I really feel it degrades a good, decent parade. Just throwin' it out there, someone selling these items outside the actual parade route (off the road) is one thing, but as I said, darting in out and around these guys, is another.

Agree 100%! And lets not forget those equally obnoxious "horns" (or whatever they are) that they sell that annoys me like nails on a blackboard! :angry:

Agree 100%! And lets not forget those equally obnoxious "horns" (or whatever they are) that they sell that annoys me like nails on a blackboard! :angry:

The horns.....Dora On A Stick balloons.....nasty a** pretzels.....and other assorted garbage these cart pushers sell, while VERY expensive, are all harmless.....

The silly string is potentially damaging to apparatus and uniforms and dangerous (ever see the videos at weddings where it IGNITES and burns people??) ......

The main issue I would take with silly string is that it is highly flammable. Been a few cases reported of kids spraying it in areas of open flame to have it ignite violently.

As far as getting it on the rigs...boo hoo. Its a parade for the community isn't that what many of you say on here when parades and spit and polish come up? I mean hell...smoke, heat and road salt (and from what I read once ultra violet rays and acid rain :rolleyes: ) damages them too...better stop going to fires! Although I can sympathize with the brother with the horns. They are trying to make a living afterall. But I bet if someone came on here and say they found it annoying and unsafe that people stand in the middle of the road with boots, nets or whatever other receptical that can be used the world would be coming to an end.

annoy me more than these guys darting in and out of companies marching, apparatus driving, and bands playing

Right because the guys with the clip boards aren't as they are waking along, darting in and out of companies...opening compartment doors and cab doors on apparatus while they are moving (sorry about your shoulder bud whoever you were, but you open a door the appratus stops) aren't annoying as well? I've seen more from judges that are unsafe then I've seen of vendors.

Edited by alsfirefighter

Are you guys for real? Those guys with the carts are just trying to earn a living. They go from parade to parade peddling there wares. You want them to have a permit, fine I can go for that but come on. Not to mention it makes the kids happy which is what the parades are really for....

OH and a ban on silly string is just freakin stupid...let the kids have their fun!

Edited by DOC22

Not to mention it makes the kids happy which is what the parades are really for....

OH and a ban on silly string is just freakin stupid...let the kids have their fun!

I would be all for everyone having fun, But do not spray it on me or the apparatus, go spray it on your parents and their cars.

There's enough companies up this way who barely even bother to wash their rigs anymore, much less detail for a parade, so I don't see where the silly string complaints would make an issue one way or the other. Does make for some much less appealing pictures, though.

I agree with the comments about both the carts and the judges. Neither one of 'em cares about anyone on the sidelines or in the line of march. All they care about is doing their "job", and if they get in somebody's way, that's just tough for that person. Nice attitude, huh? At least in Long Island, they post in advance where the judges are gonna be, so you can pick a vantage point elsewhere.

Makes me want, that much more, to go to the pre-parade judging site for photo ops. But, not everyone uses that, either.

would any judge demerit for a FF for being off step or going out of line for cleaning themselves up from silly string?

When I was a kid goin to parades, it was all about fun. waving to the fireman, listenin to the drums and bands.. Ya know fun stuff. I couldnt wait for the vendor to come by so I got ghet an american flag and cotton candy..

How many people have forgotten this?? Back in the day you waived at a fireman and he waived back, now because of judging and everyhting else you are forced to stand in a straight line and march.. The fun for most starts in th bullpen afterwards, gee. some people need to freakin relax and enjoy that people come out to support them, ban silly string, banning vendors, hell why dont you bann people from cheering.

X129 and my company already ban the silly string along wih the poppers that damage trucks at our annual parade!!!!! Also only one permit to the fire company is issued from the town and the vendors have to come to us to get their permits.

Edited by JHK3605

When I was a kid goin to parades, it was all about fun. waving to the fireman, listenin to the drums and bands.. Ya know fun stuff. I couldnt wait for the vendor to come by so I got ghet an american flag and cotton candy..

How many people have forgotten this?? Back in the day you waived at a fireman and he waived back, now because of judging and everyhting else you are forced to stand in a straight line and march.. The fun for most starts in th bullpen afterwards, gee. some people need to freakin relax and enjoy that people come out to support them, ban silly string, banning vendors, hell why dont you bann people from cheering.

Nicely said. Parades are about having fun, let the kids have a little fun. Big deal if it gets on your pants or rig, wash it off and move on with life. Everybody is so up-tight these days, lets face it if it wasn't for the community there really wouldn't be a use for parades.

The new generation parades: No silly string, no clapping/cheering, no kids, no fun. Smile at your own risk.

There's no reason why kids (and people in general) can't have fun without making a mess of things. Just because silly string is there, doesn't mean it has to be used and/or abused.

No need to outlaw "fun". Seems to me, based on past discussions on here, that if some people had their way, there wouldn't be parades at all. But, we don't need to go down "that road" again.

There's no reason why kids (and people in general) can't have fun without making a mess of things. Just because silly string is there, doesn't mean it has to be used and/or abused.

No need to outlaw "fun". Seems to me, based on past discussions on here, that if some people had their way, there wouldn't be parades at all. But, we don't need to go down "that road" again.

Not looking to go down that road at all.. Parades are an important part of a community's relationship with their Fire/EMS/PD. But its for the community, that is the part I feel gets forgotten about.

Nobody wants to "ban fun" . To think that, borders on rediculous. Just keep the damn silly sting in the carnival grounds and off the parade route. I don't know about the chemical makeup of the stuff, but if it damages the finish on apparatus, or the uniform clothing at todays prices, that's a problem.

speaking about banning silly string from parades, Pawling fire department is banning throwing of candy at their paradein August for safety reasons. Wondering whats are peoples thoughts about this????

Great Idea!!!!!

Nicely said. Parades are about having fun, let the kids have a little fun. Big deal if it gets on your pants or rig, wash it off and move on with life.

So, by what you're saying, I could spray your car with shaving cream and pelt it with eggs, and write it off as having a little "fun"?

And some of the brands of silly string don't just wash off.....it actually ruined a nice new pair of EMS pants once. It's real nice to have the community spray you with the stuff at a parade....real great way to teach children to respect PD/Fire/EMS by letting them spray you with silly string and throw poppers at you. There's nothing that says community appreciation better then that!!!

So, by what you're saying, I could spray your car with shaving cream and pelt it with eggs, and write it off as having a little "fun"?

And some of the brands of silly string don't just wash off.....it actually ruined a nice new pair of EMS pants once. It's real nice to have the community spray you with the stuff at a parade....real great way to teach children to respect PD/Fire/EMS by letting them spray you with silly string and throw poppers at you. There's nothing that says community appreciation better then that!!!

As a matter of fact, I'd love it if you did. I would find that rather delightful, because that's vandalism. However, we're not talking shaving cream, and eggs in this thread. Unless I missed it, I thought we were talking about silly string? If you have kids throwing eggs at you and your rigs then there's an issue.

If the kids are spraying it in jest that's one thing, but entirely different if they're doing it to cause damage. If the kids are spraying it around and it happens to get on you, oh well. Kids will be kids. But a little silly string never hurt anyone, Maybe I'm naive, but I've been able to get silly string out of a lot of my clothes. I've done my fair share of spraying silly string in the past. I'm sure it could be washed out of your real nice ems pants. With all due respect, I think this silly string i.ssue is being taken entirely too seriously. I'm sure the kids spraying it around aren't thinking 'wow look at these idiots walking down the street, i have no respect for them, lets be disrespectful and spray them or OMG look at the shiny truck!! lets mess up the finish!!!! soocool'

Has anyone ever sprayed champagne in the air to celebrate? Same concept in my opinion. They're doing it to have fun, not to ruin your rig and pants.

Edited by DonMoose

As I said before, there's plenty of room elsewhere to spray the stuff, it does NOT belong on the parade route.

a 4 year old spraying silly string from 10ft away .. o0o thats disrespectful. Maybe we should have them locked up.. You act like these kids are throwin rocks and giving you the finger.. THEY ARE KIDS..

As far as shaving cream and eggs, those people doing that are older and know that it is illegal therefore one has nothing to do with the other.

10 years and dozens of parades later the only people who have gotten silly string on me are fellow firefighters. The only time I've seen rigs with silly string on them was once again firefighters. Before this thread I'd never even heard of members or vehicles being sprayed by kids during the parade. Is it that much of an issue or an isolated incident that we're looking to punish everyone for?

4 is a little too young to have access to that kind of thing. 4 should be sitting on the curb with his little red plastic helmet on, watching in awe as the big shiny trucks roll by.

Just my $.02 (but I do see the point you're making).