Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WAS967

Oniontown

24 posts in this topic

Having recently moved to the SouthEast corner of Dutchess I've been doing some websurfing, looking into various aspects of life in the area - particularly history and whatnot. The other day my brother (who used to work up that way) asked me if I knew about Oniontown. I told him I'd never heard of the place. He mentioned that it had gained a lot of publicity lately on the net and otherwise, and not the good kind. Seems some kids went driving up there one day and took some video of the area off Oniontown Road (just off Route 22 near Dover Plains) that showed what I basically could summize was a fairly run down trailer park in a not so well to do area. Hell, I've seen areas similar in places where I work. To me, not a big deal. Well the video became a bit of a viral thing on youtube (not wildly popular but enough to make others take notice).

Some kids from Mahopac drove up there to check the place out and I guess were less than civilized and got themselves a beatdown. Apparently they cited the youtube video as being what prompted them to go up there. I'm guessing there have been other incidents as well (a drunk guy from Poughkeepsie who got a rock thrown onto his car comes to mind).

So my question is this. Whats the big deal? Being a bit of a history buff I'd be interested in some local insight on the history of the area. I keep hearing about inbreeding and the like, but I've heard the same about places like Verplank and Walden - if it does exist, it's usually isolated. Plus I'd be interested to know how the original video makers may have come to know about the area - perhaps some folklore I have not seen from some background work on the internet.

Heres the video in question (since removed from youtube for supposed "TOS violations"): http://video.aol.com/video-detail/oniontow...ures/3251516449

It's interesting to note that the passenger in the front seat appears to be wearing a turnout jacket. :)

Edited by WAS967

Those same rumors have been circulating for the last 25 years (that I know of) and to my knowledge they are nothing more than rumors.

The truth of O'town is it is a depressed private community where the residents do not like outsiders welcoming themselves and aren't afraid to let them know it.

Just stay out of Oniontown and let the people that live there be. Oniontown Rd after the train tracks is private property. If someone came onto my property without permission they would be met with some strong opposition.

Just stay out of Oniontown and let the people that live there be. Oniontown Rd after the train tracks is private property. If someone came onto my property without permission they would be met with some strong opposition.

Exactly!

If you COME LOOKING for trouble, don't be surprised when you find some!

It's interesting to note that the passenger in the front seat appears to be wearing a turnout jacket. :)

I noticed that also. I can't quite read the department on the back except that it is "FDXX" with the FD first. That should be distinctive since most departments would be, for example, ATFD (Any Town Fire Department) and not FDAT (Fire Department, Any Town). He also, at one point, threatens retaliation to any assault by an O'towner with a halligan bar which just happened to be there!

Sorry. I usually avoid the term, but in my book, I feel it fits:

Any clown who wears a turnout coat while not in the process of responding to or returning from a fire call, enguaged in some official department business, and just seemingly for driving around town in the cold and carries a halligan bar within the front footwell of their car for easy access at all times and instinctively grabs it for defense is, in my book... a pure and true wacker.

I certainly hope that the older, more mature members of whatever department these clowns were from have taken these boys asside and explained to them the errors of their foolish ways.

Well I live about 1 mile from Oniontown and I really have no idea what the deal is here. Stay out of there plain and simple.

NYS operates a warehouse just before you enter the area and I have been there several times conducting inspections, no problem. One of there larger businesses in the Town of Dover is located next door also. The State actually just a few years ago put in a new road to this area so everyone did not have to cross the railroad tracks. The road going into Oniontown is no longer called Oniontown Road it is Seven wells Road., not sure if the Town wanted to end the BS that has gone on there by renaming the road or what was behind the name change.

Also I have responded into Oniontown on calls and again no issues, the people there are just that people!

The people there are just sick of the crap and have responded!

Edited by markmets415

Some kids from Mahopac drove up there to check the place out and I guess were less than civilized and got themselves a beatdown. Apparently they cited the youtube video as being what prompted them to go up there. I'm guessing there have been other incidents as well (a drunk guy from Poughkeepsie who got a rock thrown onto his car comes to mind).

I had the "great fortune" of meeting one of those kids from the 1st video (the head honcho). Complete and total moron, simply put. Didn't seem like a great achiever to me.

Oniontown in Dutchess seems like it could be similar to the yeshivas in Northern Westchester

Oniontown in Dutchess seems like it could be similar to the yeshivas in Northern Westchester

It's nothing like the Yeshiva's in Westchester. The Yeshiva settlements are communities for a specific sect that happen to keep upon themselves due to the religion. BTW, it's not just isolated to Westchester as all the surrounding counties have them. One of the larger one's in Orange County is Kiryas Joel in the Monroe Woodbury area that is a recognized village with their own schools, PD, EMS, FD, etc. Another big one is New Square in Rockland County.

Oniontown is nothing more than a community of close knit individuals (probably all family or some sort) that is their own private property. That's it! This is where they chose to live so let it be! All the rumors of late have circulated forever and a day. There is no proof of the rumors. The only difference between now and then is the press it's been getting.

The bottom line that's has already been said is it's no one's business but their own and if you go up there on your own you deserve what you get. The only difference between O'town and say some of the large estates in Northern Westchester (aside from the culture) is the ones in Westchester are gated so you can't drive in.

It's nothing like the Yeshiva's in Westchester. The Yeshiva settlements are communities for a specific sect that happen to keep upon themselves due to the religion. BTW, it's not just isolated to Westchester as all the surrounding counties have them. One of the larger one's in Orange County is Kiryas Joel in the Monroe Woodbury area that is a recognized village with their own schools, PD, EMS, FD, etc. Another big one is New Square in Rockland County.

Oniontown is nothing more than a community of close knit individuals (probably all family or some sort) that is their own private property. That's it! This is where they chose to live so let it be! All the rumors of late have circulated forever and a day. There is no proof of the rumors. The only difference between now and then is the press it's been getting.

The bottom line that's has already been said is it's no one's business but their own and if you go up there on your own you deserve what you get. The only difference between O'town and say some of the large estates in Northern Westchester (aside from the culture) is the ones in Westchester are gated so you can't drive in.

I am sorry that you took offense, but we are allowed to speculate and yes they are very similar to Yeshiva's everywhere, the ones in our region are mostly filed with relatives no matter how distant that are closely knit. Iknow they are everywhere, I have family that have lived in yeshivas in upstate New York. They live together, work together, pray together and exist together usually along family lines. It does not matter if they do or do not have there own PD, FD or EMS, they can be compared to Oniontown.

I noticed that also. I can't quite read the department on the back except that it is "FDXX" with the FD first. That should be distinctive since most departments would be, for example, ATFD (Any Town Fire Department) and not FDAT (Fire Department, Any Town). He also, at one point, threatens retaliation to any assault by an O'towner with a halligan bar which just happened to be there!

Sorry. I usually avoid the term, but in my book, I feel it fits:

Any clown who wears a turnout coat while not in the process of responding to or returning from a fire call, enguaged in some official department business, and just seemingly for driving around town in the cold and carries a halligan bar within the front footwell of their car for easy access at all times and instinctively grabs it for defense is, in my book... a pure and true wacker.

I certainly hope that the older, more mature members of whatever department these clowns were from have taken these boys asside and explained to them the errors of their foolish ways.

Well said! The beauty of the digital age and the prevalence of the internet is that detectives can now solve crimes simply by sitting at their PC. Between youtube showing the crime in progress, facebook and myspace identifying the perps, there's not a whole lot that needs to be done!

Well said! The beauty of the digital age and the prevalence of the internet is that detectives can now solve crimes simply by sitting at their PC. Between youtube showing the crime in progress, facebook and myspace identifying the perps, there's not a whole lot that needs to be done!

Thanks for giving away my #1 technique Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you know how many criminals have "my space" pages and list their street names on them with clear pictures? Stupid Criminals!

Thank you all for the information. Would be nice to see someone ELSE (perhaps with a more understanding mindset) do a youtube (or heck, maybe MSNBC) video where they actually sit down with the people of O'town and actually get to know them, instead of operating solely on speculation. Unfortunately, I fear the influx of curiosity seekers in the area is far from over.

I am sorry that you took offense......

Don't sweat it. No offense taken.

Amazing what our youth will do to amuse themselves. Lucky there weren't shot.

Is it really private property? If so, why don't they post signs to that affect and have trespassers prosecuted (after they're released from the hospital)?

Without signs, they have no argument that the area is private. Roads look like roads, ya know? How does anyone know it's private property if its not posted?

from whay i heard state police dont go there, that's just what i heard

I personally know a few Dutchess County Sheriffs that refuse to go in there.

As I said in my earlier post I have been in there several times on calls without any problems, they are regular people that shop in town like everyone else. Most of the crap that is spread about Oniontown is false rumors.

Edited by DOC22

The road into Oniontown is a public road plowed by the highway dept. once in there it the road turns private. You and me both Mark.

I think that if you go in there looking for trouble and you get a beat down then it's deserved. I've never been in there and have heard the stories but why would I have a reason to go in there if I don't live in that part of the county? If the people in that part of the county have no problem with them then why should we?

I would say if someone came onto my property with a video camera, digital cameras, and a halligan bar, they would most like get a much less warm reception than these kids got.