Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Truck4

Fire Apparatus of Italy

23 posts in this topic

Travelled to Italy in June and shot rigs in four cities. The Vigili Del Fuoco is the national fire service of Italy. They turn out of regional fire stations as compared to the neighborhood fire stations that we see here. Since they are regional, most stations house over a dozen units in each house. Also common in other European countries, the department runs many role specific and special use units.

The Vatican, or Vatican City, has it's own fire station staffed by the Vigili Del Fuoco. The rigs are parked outside with no apparatus housing. Vatican City is considered it's own, independent country.

First due engine:

IMG_7446.jpg

The rest of the fleet. Note the jeep on the far right with the ladders. Ladder Co.?:

IMG_7468.jpg

More Vatican photos can be found here:

http://onthejobny.com/gallery/The-Latest/

Nice shots, Mike!!! Italy has some neat looking stuff for sure! Thanks for sharig!!!

The city of Rome central fire station features a giant LCD screen on the top of the building that shows a recruitment video, over and over and over. Many Italian fire stations also house machanic shops and training facilities.

IMG_0399.jpg

One of three front line engine compnays at Rome Central:

IMG_0469.jpg

All Rome photos can be found here:

http://onthejobny.com/gallery/The-Latest/

Great shots, Mike. Thanks for sharing. While I love all apparatus, the difference between builders in the U.S. such as Pierce, E-One and KME and those in Europe, Austalia and New Zealand such as Dennis, Volvo and Iveco is remarkable. I really wish more Diecast companies would produce those type of models.

Travelled to Italy in June and shot rigs in four cities. The Vigili Del Fuoco is the national fire service of Italy. They turn out of regional fire stations as compared to the neighborhood fire stations that we see here. Since they are regional, most stations house over a dozen units in each house. Also common in other European countries, the department runs many role specific and special use units.

It is not possible for a regional approach to work.....they have it all wrong, they need 100's of units with no manpower to cover every little village, like we do here. Its the only way.

Nice pics......

Come on, tell me I wasn't the only one who clicked on this thread expecting pics of fire trucks with hair photoshopped onto them...

i got to see Italian fire trucks and a station they were pretty cool, i also got to sit in them

europe is a great example to american fire departments as to what is necessary and what is luxury or even a simple waste of resources.

american fire departments are stuck with "tradition" but when "tradition" gets in the way of innovation - something must be done.

i'd like to see the european LODD's in comparison to american LODD's. i'd be very surprised if europe's was greater.

Molto bene, Grazie!

Nice pics. I have been to Europe and I was able to ride with the Oslo, Norway FD for a day. What a difference compared to the US. I love their approach to standardized apparatus, and I wish that would be possible here, but that's a pipe dream. Many of the Norwegian rigs look just like those you have pictured.

Their procedures (Norwegian) were very interesting, and a bit different from ours, but still effective.

Come on, tell me I wasn't the only one who clicked on this thread expecting pics of fire trucks with hair photoshopped onto them...

LOL. Good one dude..good one! I was also wondering how does the fire truck communicate without any arms or hands?

Having spend 6 weeks in America, 4 of those riding with US departments, things are VERY different than in Australia. Not saying your wrong, but its so different.

europe is a great example to american fire departments as to what is necessary and what is luxury or even a simple waste of resources.

american fire departments are stuck with "tradition" but when "tradition" gets in the way of innovation - something must be done.

i'd like to see the european LODD's in comparison to american LODD's. i'd be very surprised if europe's was greater.

I don't think Europes LODD's is greater but I'm pretty sure their number of civilian fatalities is greater. Not to mention much of their construction, especially their residential is Class 1. P.S., Was that a gold chain I saw hanging from the rear view? :lol: Where's the capezios? :P

No gold chains?

Naw, but i hear each rig has an espresso machine with frother and a fridge full of cannolis! aye Dios mio!

Only in the Vern! :rolleyes:

Fo Shizzle.......

Mmmmmmmmmmmm....canolis..........

I don't think Europes LODD's is greater but I'm pretty sure their number of civilian fatalities is greater. Not to mention much of their construction, especially their residential is Class 1. P.S.,

Their LODD is lower, and there civilian fatalities are lles than 1/2 of ours. The US has the worst fire safety record of all industrialized nations (read America Burning & Revisited...USFA).

Most of the construction in the european countries I've visited was stone or concrete. In france I was suprised to see that the have so few trees (remember thats why England & France cam to America 200+ years ago) that there telephone poles were concrete.

Another point to note on why the US comparatively sucks at civilian fire deaths, is the fact that throughout Europe and many other nations, you can be held "criminally" responsible for a fire in your home. Given the close proximity and the conflagration potential of old world cities they must take fire safety extremely seriously. I think they're not quite as on board with the "King of your own castle" concept like we are.

Having spend 6 weeks in America, 4 of those riding with US departments, things are VERY different than in Australia. Not saying your wrong, but its so different.

Care to elaborate? I'm really interested in your thoughts. I'm going to assume they echo The Marquis De Lafayette's summary of the American Fire Service, "Overall, too much fun is had."

Roughly 58,000,000 people living in the entire country of Italy.

Roughly 301,000,000 people living in the United States. (not counting our surging undocumented population.)

Just pointing out what should be obvious.

was there is June of 07'

went to a firehouse in rome acorss from my hotel. ALl the FF's were very friendly and spent a couple hours there.

At this firehouse they had a museum of the history of the fire service in rome and the rest of italy.

be safe

mvs

I hope to have Florence and Venice pics up tonight.