Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBE

Out and About...Arizona Style!

31 posts in this topic

So last monday, after gassing up the Rock Box, saying my see ya laters to the kinfolk, it was off to Arizona. 20 something hours, not making the left turn at Albequerque, and a pit stop or three. I get into Phoenix to see an old friend of mine from my high school days. That made me happier than I was after I saw these guys. Phoenix Tower Ladder 11.

PL-11.jpg

Ladderboard11.jpg

Next day I took a friend's advice and stopped by Station 8. Although Truck 8 wasn't in at the time, everybody else was. Phoenix is a very customer service oriented department, as you can see by the billboard on the side of Engine 8. PS, they are going to Pierces because the ALF's just aren't working out for them. Might have something to do with the 750 pounds of weight under the front end to keep it from going all over the place.

PE-8.jpg

Here's Heavy Rescue 8.

PR-8-2.jpg

This is the Rescue Support Truck for the city of Phoenix. It's a 1990 something Spartan or E-One, I honestly forgot. But Good Lord is this thing big!!!!

PTRT-8.jpg

More coming...

Rescue 8

R-8.jpg

Next Stop, Station 9.

I find this to be an interesting concept. Ladder Tenders. They send this rig out on runs where they won't need the stick. The only drawback I see to this system is what if they are on the way back from a run, and they get banged out for something where they will need the stick???

PLT-9.jpg

And the coup de grace. Truck 9, this is not to be confused with the Original "Big Unit" E-One/Bronto. That was a 117 footer that got rolled a while back. This one is a 114 footer, but still massive.

PT-9.jpg

After this I went looking for Station 1 down near Chase Field. Couldn't find it, so I took a tour of the ballpark. Back in Enemy territory again. The pool in the outfield looked nice as well. I headed over to Tempe, where I was staying and shot Engine 273. Yes, that is my leg in the picture, but this was too good of an angle to pass up.

TE-273.jpg

Due to some unforseen circumstances, my trip was cut short, and I made my way back to New York. Total driving time, 73 hours round trip. Total miles logged in the Rock Box, over 5,000 spread across 10 days. States crossed, 11. Armadillos seen in Missouri, living and roadkill, 5. Making some new friends and reconnecting with an old one, PRICELESS!!!!

Enjoy, and a big thank you to the St. Louis, Caledonia, and Phoenix FD's. No 900 foot Jesus in Tulsa Oklahoma, but it looked like they have a Pierce Quantum Rescue.

Another thank you to the Bismarck, MO PD and Arizona Highway Patrol for letting me slide, and a WTF, K?? to the Texas Highway Patrol who grilled me like a steak after pulling me over for my license plate light being out.

Nice pics in this one aswell 114 ft is huge you are right about that .

Nice Photos , Thanks for sharing

GREAT Shots!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Great shots, Jimmy. Glad you had a good time.

Love the Bronto At least I know what Verplanck would look like if it were RED

Sounds like a nice trip! That billboard on E8 has to go though lol...

Great pictures. That technical rescue looks like it was actually a rear mount at one time.

Great pictures. That technical rescue looks like it was actually a rear mount at one time.

The tech rescue looks like that because of the crane on top. If you look to the extreme rear, right behind the tires are the jacks for the crane.

Sounds like a nice trip! That billboard on E8 has to go though lol...

Believe it or not, drownings are pretty high on the list of accidental deaths in that area.

Built with the crane. I was in Phoenix just after they received it.

Nice Pics Hope you had some fun too though

Oh, yes, I did. The beer at the brewery was tasty, and I toured Busch Stadium and Chase Field. Got to see some old friends, and make a new one. Saw a lot of cool stuff on the drive out there. Even cooler stuff on the drive back. I now have a couple of reasons, non fire related, to go back to AZ.

Edited by JBE

Now there's some stuff for me to check out the next time I go. Nice shots Brian.

Great shots. They love those mid-engine pumpers out there huh?

Now there's some stuff for me to check out the next time I go. Nice shots Brian.

For the most part the guys in Phoenix were pretty cool. The guys at Engine 31 & 61 were great, no problems to pull the Engine out completely and put it in the sun. Engine 61 has a brand new firehouse. They gave me a tour of the entire station. It's huge and the city plans on building more like it in the future. I hope to shoot some more rigs next year when I visit the family again. Unfortunately my father is planning on moving to Minnesota, so after next year I might not be visiting AZ anymore ; (

Don't worry, I got reasons to go back, so I got ya covered.

I never understood the mid-engine pumper. Whats the deal with them?

Keeps the heat out of the cab, I would think.

Better ventilation for the engine (motor, that is) so it doesn't overheat in the hot climate of AZ.

Better ventilation for the engine (motor, that is) so it doesn't overheat in the hot climate of AZ.

Very interesting, i am guessing the radiator is still at the front for air flow?

In Australia as you all know it gets very hot, might be an idea we can use, although most of our appliances are Commercial cabs and not custom.

I like the fact that you can drive straight through the firehouse. Reduces the chance of injury backing up.

I like the Exhaust dumping up High above you instaed of under the vehicle. With the drive thru building do they use exhaust systems?

Great shots, Jimmy. I, too, took a trip to Phoenix, late last year. Very impressive department, with some interesting concepts.

Just a note to anyone who goes to Phoenix, check out the Hall Of Flame museum.....they have a GREAT apparatus collection and a ton of other cool stuff.

Here are my photos: http://www.emtbravophotos.com/SpecFeat/X635PhoenixSep07.html

Sounds fun. Looks like you all had a good time in Az! Great photos all thanks for sharing!