Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Hurricane Gustav Cat 4

30 posts in this topic

This is not looking good for the Gulf coast especially New Orleans...

trackmap.jpg

Prayers for those down there as well as those who are going down to help.

Looks as if the water gets a bit colder or there is some upper level wind sheer as the storm gets closer to land.

Saw on CH 4 this morning that NYC OEM has sent men to stage in Atlanta. Good luck guys and stay safe.

Prayers indeed. It appears as though things will get rough along the Gulf coast, but at least they seem to be better prepeared this time. If anyone has info on how to help please pass it along here..I'm sure there are many here willing.

Cogs

Pretty massive mobilization going on down here...very interesting to observe.

I've seen many FEMA teams from multiple cities passing though Austin south on I-35....plus a lot of FEMA vehicles. The teams are being strategically placed. Statewide OEM Center in Austin is also fully active, as Texas has already declared a statewide disaster and Bush has declared it a Federal disaster. From what I'm hearing, the lessons learned from Katrina are being applied and working well so far.

The big factor is going to be where it makes landfalll......

Another major concern is the off-shore oil and gas platforms in the gulf, as well as associated land-based terminals shutting down...

the price of gas and oil will probably increase (again!) due to the supply curtailments, never mind if facilities get damaged, like from Katrina...

Seth I hope you're prepared for the worst. good luck down there.

Did they ever finish repairing, upgrading all the Levy's?

just an update on the situation, MANDITORY evacuation of New Orleans to being TOMMOROW morning - it sounds like pretty much the entire city.

Edited by Goose

Rockland County disaster team deployed to assist Hurricane Gustave effort

NEW CITY – The US Department of Health and Human Services Office of Preparedness and Emergency Operations has activated the Disaster Medical Assistance Team based in Rockland County, NY in response to Hurricane Gustave which is expected to make landfall in the Gulf region on Monday.

More at:

http://midhudsonnews.com/News/August08/31/...ave-31Aug08.htm

anyone know if they will be getting vol. groups together to bus them down there like they did in 05 or they going to wait and see what happens? i knew a few guys that went down in 05 with buses of vol. firefighters to help out

NY Task Force 1 is on their way south. I believe NJ DMAT 1 is all ready deployed to their staging area. I think Westchester sits this one out.

PA Task Force 1 has been deployed along with what seems like a majority of medics from the Harrisburg Area. Lots of overtime and mutual aid going on right now. Best of luck and wishes of safety to all of the residents and everybody on all the task forces being deployed.

Got several friends/colleagues either gone or waiting for the phone to go off. Be safe brothers and sisters...wish I didn't have to sit this one out myself.

Very impressive storm weather wise to watch how it develop and exploded in strength. I'm sure there the Army Corps of Engineers and the like are sweating bullets in NOLA right now.

NYC OEM sent 35 guys, hardly enough to do anything substantial. I think every TF was sent from the East and the South East. People will die from this one too, and they were given ample warning. I guess it will be another chance to get some land cheap!

NYC OEM sent 35 guys, hardly enough to do anything substantial. I think every TF was sent from the East and the South East. People will die from this one too, and they were given ample warning. I guess it will be another chance to get some land cheap!

Best of luck to our brothers and sisters going down there to help and best of luck to the people of the Gulf area. I know it's tough to talk about, but I remember after Katrina people said it was a once in a lifetime storm. Well this is twice in three years. I think they're going to seriously have to reconsider whether a city that is largely below sea level on a good day is a good place to inhabit. We all know that weather patterns change and the earth's dimensions change over time and there is a pretty good possibility that this oceanfront property is going to be ocean property.

I can't remember the name of the EMS agency, but one of the private ambulance services in NYC sent 5 buses and 15 crewmembers down in advance. Looks like everyone is pitching in nicely, hopefully none of this will need to be used though.

I went down in 05 with NYPD, NYPD Operations sent down the Urban Search & Rescue team on friday with a handful of FDNY guys to stage in Atlanta till landful then they are going to move in and get to work. We went down with close to 350 cops and almost 100 Marked vans and explores in a convoy. I'm sure we will be getting something together again.

just an update on the situation, MANDITORY evacuation of New Orleans to being TOMMOROW morning - it sounds like pretty much the entire city.

What's left of the city, anyways. If it hits New Orleans at the current strength, after a $10 billion effort to repair the levees, etc, I don't think that New Orleans could recover this time. The city hasn't even fully recovered from Katrina yet, and I doubt they ever will.

Its not our responsibility. We went the first time to bail them out. If they need it again, shame on them! When I was there in 05 half the NOPD had deserted! We had more than enough guys and not enough equipment. They know whats coming at them and if they fail to heed the warnings then oh well. Im sick of my money going to these free loading sons of ...

While roofsopen's opinion is alittle extreme, I would have to agree with the idea that anybody still left in the city is crazy, stupid or a combination thereof. The entire idea of a city 15 feet below sea level was dumb, that that's really the French's fault, not ours. The city has informed anyone who is thinking about staying in the city that no emergency services are promised to them in the event it gets as bad as it should. Now, provided Ray Nagin can keep his "Chocolate City" comments to himself, this shouldn't be as big of a government embarassment as the last major hurricane.

Ah New Orleans "America's Bogota/Rio". You can put me down in the who f'n cares column in regards to the fate of this national embarrasment...I mean city. I do feel bad for the normal hardworking Americans who live on the Mississippi gulf coast and the fishing villages south of N.O. These taxpayers put up with hell after Katrina with very little attention from the media or politicians.

I work for a Ambulance Company in Cortland New York. There are 2 TLC - Cortland rigs with crews of 3 on the way.

Thats Cortland without the "T"

Yes, There is also a Cortlandt NY but I live in Cortland. Central NY below Syracuse if u were wondering.

CNN is reporting that NOFD is battling a 4 alarm fire right now. I think they said in the downtown area somewhere. Has to be pretty tough to battle any fire in a storm like this. Hope everyone stays safe! Also a few levees are starting to be topped... Industrial levee and upper 9th levee. Hope they hold.

New York State's Incident Management Team (IMT) deployed today for Louisiana. Don't know exactly where they're being assigned yet but I will report back. As I understand it, there are a total of four incident management teams responding to EMAC requests for assistance to Louisiana along the Gulf coast south and west of New Orleans (the hardest hit areas). Don't have the rundown on other teams yet but will try to update that as well.

LA Governor Jindal's update:

Governor Bobby Jindal held a press conference along with U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff to give an update on state and federal preparedness measures surrounding the impact of Hurricane Gustav on Louisiana.

Governor Jindal said, "Our most up to date information from the Hurricane Center shows that the storm did not reorganize as well as it could have, which is good news; but, again, we expect tropical storm force winds overnight tonight and as early as late this evening. St. Bernard, Plaquemines, and Terrebonne Parishes will get tropical storm force winds by midnight. Those areas at the mouth of the Mississippi River will get hurricane force winds early Monday morning. The Hurricane Center said hurricane wind warnings will stretch from Lake Charles to Baton Rouge.

"The eye of the storm is expected to hit midday tomorrow, and the storm is predicted to leave the state before it stalls." The Governor added that Baton Rouge and central Louisiana should be aware of possible 70 to 80 miles-per-hour winds as the hurricane comes through the state, which will likely cause power outages and downed trees.

The Governor said that he visited Lakefront Airport earlier today to thank the National Guard for their support in evacuating medical patients out of South Louisiana. Additionally, the Governor said that this afternoon he signed a memorandum of understanding between Louisiana and Missouri and Tennessee for the use of their National Guard forces assisting evacuation and response operations.

SPECIAL NEEDS SHELTERS UPDATE:

The Governor announced that the state has worked with several states to identify shelters for special needs individuals, including 53,000 spots in eight states. The Governor said that there is currently no wait for non-critical patients for air evacuations, and the state has extra air capacity available.

The Governor said that region 1 (New Orleans) is done evacuating homebound patients and the city is currently evacuating their 73 remaining patients from hospitals now. Region 3 (Houma) - homebound and nursing homes are evacuated, and hospitals who wanted to evacuate have done so. Region 5 (Lake Charles) has reported one nursing home that now needs to be evacuated and the state is working to assist them. Currently, 84 out of 115 nursing homes in impacted areas have evacuated - which is around 8,000 individuals (at least 27 with state assistance), and 27 hospitals have had full or partial evacuations.

Governor Jindal also spoke about the risk of evacuating critically ill patients from hospitals and said that there are reports of three unconfirmed deaths that occurred during evacuation efforts. The Governor said that the state continues to help hospitals, nursing homes, and local officials work to evacuate people out of harm's way and his prayers go out to the families of those who have been lost.

EVACUATION SUPPORT UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said that seven states are helping Louisiana to shelter more than 29,000 citizens at 107 shelters. Texas has offered to shelter several thousand patients, Oklahoma has agreed to accept 4,000 general evacuees, and 150 medical patients from southwest Louisiana hospitals are expected to arrive at the Oklahoma Air National Guard Base at WillRogersAirport in Oklahoma City today.

More than 25,000 citizens are currently sheltered in Louisiana in 120 Red Cross shelters. Four state-run Critical Transportation Needs Shelters are full (10,000 capacity), two FEMA/Red Cross Critical Transportation Needs Shelters are full (5,500 capacity), and the five Medical Special Needs Shelters across the state still have several hundred slots remaining (649 patients currently sheltered there). Additionally, Louisiana continues to work with AL, AR, TX, OK, MO, KY, GA, and TN to provide additional shelter space for thousands of residents, as needed. Buses will arrive in Ascension and Lafayette once evacuations are complete for search and rescue operations, and more than 400 buses are still available in New Orleans.

The Governor said that 123 general population shelters are open in Louisiana and the local OEPs and Red Cross workers continue to take in those citizens seeking shelter.

Governor Jindal said that utility teams including 11,000 utility workers from out of state are staged and standing by to help turn back on utilities after the storm passes, and they will start working on the essential functions of hospitals, fire service, water, and sewer systems. The Governor said that around six to seven hours after landfall the state will start surveillance efforts to identify damaged areas. Additionally, the Governor announced that 96 percent of oil and 82 percent of natural gas in federal waters in the Gulf is currently shut in, in preparation for the storm.

Louisiana State Police estimates that 95 percent of the two million people expected to evacuate have done so, accounting for a total of more than 1.9 million people evacuating the coast - the largest evacuation in the history of the state.

SEARCH AND RESCUE UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said that the Department of Wildlife and Fisheries will work alongside the Coast Guard and FEMA and the National Guard during search and rescue operations. SAR operations will be based at three locations, and have determined three other forward-leaning bases, including: West Bank, Abbeville, and Nicholls State University.

The Governor said that 300 people with 200 boats plus 500 people with equipment from the federal government and other states will support SAR operations after the storm and for example California is now also supporting SAR operations by sending 100 people with 16 boats. New York and Michigan are also sending additional support units. There are already people staging at Camp Beauregard and there is capacity for 700 people at Lamar Dixon. Additionally, Mississippi has three 100-member search and rescue teams, which may be freed up to help Louisiana's efforts.

Governor Jindal closed by encouraging all media and residents to visit www.emergency.louisiana.gov for most updated information on storm.

August 31, 2008:

Governor Jindal's Afternoon Update on Hurricane Gustav Preparedness Efforts

BATON ROUGE - Today, Governor Bobby Jindal held a press conference to give an update on state preparedness measures surrounding the impact of Hurricane Gustav on Louisiana.

Governor Jindal said, "Hurricane Gustav is a Category 3 storm, but is only 15 miles-per-hour below Category 4 level. We will be experiencing tropical storm force winds to begin as early as late this evening.

Currently, the National Hurricane Center predicts there is only a small window for intensification, which is good news, but could change track at any point.

Governor Jindal said, "If the storm track remains perfectly on course as predicted by the Hurricane Center, it could slow down and lose half of its power as it moves through Louisiana in the first 12 hours, which means we will see up to around 10 inches of rain even in central Louisiana."

Governor Jindal added that all 64 parishes in the state have now declared a state of emergency. In addition to yesterday's parish evacuations, Lafayette has issued a voluntary evacuation order today, Acadia reports that 1/3 of their population has evacuated, Jefferson Parish reports that they are 80 to 90 percent evacuated, and the National Guard has assisted 4,500 residents out of Jefferson Parish.

More than 14,930 residents have been evacuated out of New Orleans, the Houma area reported that they have evacuated all their nursing homes and homebound residents, and with FEMA assistance, 2 trains of more than 2,000 people have been evacuated from New Orleans. FEMA has also coordinated 22 flights of more than 2,240 people to shelters in six other states to assist in evacuation efforts.

The Governor said he spoke to President Bush this morning and that he agreed to activate Title 32, which activates federal funding for National Guard units in other states, instead of just relying on federal reimbursement. The Governor said he has also spoken to Senator McCain, Senator Biden, and Senator Obama, who called for updates on the storm. Additionally, the Governor spoke to Secretary Chertoff, FEMA Administrator David Paulison, and Commander of the US Northern Command Gen. Victor Renuart today on the state's federal assistance needs. Governor Jindal said he requested six to seven more DMAT teams to assist in medical special needs evacuation, and that the President also said he would provide aircraft support in the evacuation efforts to continue every 30 minutes.

Governor Jindal said he also spoke to Texas Governor Rick Perry earlier this morning to thank him for their state's support by sending six C-130s needed to evacuate special needs patients from Lakefront Airport in New Orleans, in addition to his conversations with the Governors of Mississippi and Alabama. The Governor said Alabama has offered to shelter 10,000 more people in general shelter facilities.

SPECIAL NEEDS SHELTERS UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said the state is working with several states to identify shelters for medical special needs individuals, including 53,000 critical needs slot in eight states (more than 7,000 of which have already been filled - and the state continues to fill them at this time), including:

* AL - 10K capacity

* AR - 4K capacity

* MO - 5K capacity

* TX - 10K capacity

* TN - 6K capacity

* GA - 10K capacity

* OK - 4K capacity

* KY - 4K capacity

Currently, 84 out of 115 nursing homes have evacuated in Louisiana (27 with state assistance), and 27 hospitals have had full or partial evacuations. The state is continuing to move special needs patients out of Lafourche Airport, Thibodaux Regional Airport, and Patterson Airport. Federal support flights are assisting in medical evacuations by taking patients to out-of-state locations, including Little Rock, Oklahoma City, Dallas and Albuquerque. Texas is helping to take patients to a medical shelter in Austin and Mississippi has also provided a C-17 aircraft to assist the operation.

Governor Jindal strongly encouraged those nursing homes in non-mandatory evacuation parishes to evacuate out of harm's way.

NATIONAL GUARD UPDATE:

The National Guard is fully mobilized, including over 7000 Louisiana Guardsmen. Guard Security forces have been deployed across coastal LA to secure communities evacuating:

* 1750 in New Orleans

* 230 in Jefferson Parish

* 42 in St Bernard

* 122 in Plaqumines

* 339 in St Tammany

More than 2,000 Guard security/support forces have deployed to South Central and Southwest LA. 500 guardsmen are assisting New Orleans in support of the city's citizen evacuation plan (including more than 400 bus drivers & over 100 guardsmen are assisting the city with movement control of citizens and evacuation busses).

There are 1,800 additional troops from other states en route, and the Guard is expecting 16,000 additional troops to arrive in next 24-48 hours. The Guard has requested support for their security operations through the EMAC (over 1500 guardsmen):

* 1 Multi Purpose Battalion from KY - over 500 guardsmen

* 1 Multi Purpose Battalion from TN - over 500 guardsmen

* 1 Multi Purpose Battalion from MO - over 500 guardsmen

Guard aviation EMAC requests from 12 states will arrive prior to landfall (total of 26 aircraft) :

* AR - 1 Aviation Battalion Headquarters - 40 guardsmen

* IA - 1 helo

* PA - 2 helo

* MD - 1 helo

* IL - 3 helo

* OH - 1 helo

* KY - 8 helos

* GA - 1 plane

* MS - 5 helos

* IN - 1 plane

* FL - 1 plane

* TX - 1 plane

Aviation EMAC requests from 3 states will arrive post landfall (total of 12 aircraft):

* NY - 3 helos

* NE - 5 helos

* CO - 4 helos

Guard has also made EMAC requests for 88 additional guardsmen:

* TN - satellite communications unit - 35 guardsmen

* TN - special communications team - 10 guardsmen

* WV - special communications team - 4 guardsmen

* TN - logistics distribution team - 28 guardsmen

* Various states - Public Affairs Team - 11 guardsmen

The Guard is currently positioning evacuation helicopters in LaFourche, Morgan City, New Iberia, and St James to conduct emergency medical evacuations as needed to assist parishes. Additionally, nine LANG teams (190 guardsmen) are supporting Contra Flow missions in coordination with the Louisiana State Police in Souteast, Southwest and South Central LA.

CONTRA-FLOW UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said the Louisiana State Police is continuing contraflow operations in both southeast and southwest Louisiana at this time. Their operations began shortly after 4:00 AM this morning and at this time they expect to be done before midnight.

State Police, in conjunction with officials in Mississippi, are continuously monitoring the contraflow operation in both states and making minor adjustments as necessary to continue uninterrupted traffic flow on all major highways. As of the Governor's briefing, they had stopped contraflow on I-49 because the traffic was light.

SEARCH AND RESCUE EFFORT UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said the Department of Wildlife has filed an EMAC request for 200 additional officers to support their mission, an increase over the 200 requested yesterday to assist in search and rescue operations. The Department is working with FEMA to expedite this request the units are moved quickly. Additionally, 100 swiftwater units are set to come in from Los Angeles County, CA; and TX sent 52 search and rescue team members here this morning.

DOC UPDATE:

Governor Jindal said the Department of Corrections have evacuated a total of 8,146 inmates by relocating them to state correctional facilities across the state and parish prisons further north. The Department is supporting local law enforcement in coastal Louisiana by providing space for post-evacuation and post-storm arrestees.

Governor Jindal closed by encouraging all media and residents to visit www.emergency.louisiana.gov for most updated information on storm.