Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joetnymedic

OK now I know I'm old

15 posts in this topic

last couple of weeks or so my soon to be ex and I (we actually still talk suprisingly. but thats another story) are going thru stuff in the attic to get her things. Both of my boys (one's 19 the other is 14) are helping us go thru everything. Anyways we come across a big box of records and 45's (frampton, eagles, bunch of other stuff the youngsters here wouldn't know) anyways both the kids eyes get big and simultaniously they say - WOW!!! LOOK AT THE BIG CD'S. Then we told them what they were and showed them a record player and I'm not even gonna go where they did. I am so glad that years ago I gave my father in law my old 4 channel crystal controlled scanner as they never would have started to understand that. I know there are some old timers here. Anyone remember the old Bearcat 4 channel xtal scanner that went in an 8 track player in the car? Damned I am a dinosaur.

last couple of weeks or so my soon to be ex and I (we actually still talk suprisingly. but thats another story) are going thru stuff in the attic to get her things. Both of my boys (one's 19 the other is 14) are helping us go thru everything. Anyways we come across a big box of records and 45's (frampton, eagles, bunch of other stuff the youngsters here wouldn't know) anyways both the kids eyes get big and simultaniously they say - WOW!!! LOOK AT THE BIG CD'S. Then we told them what they were and showed them a record player and I'm not even gonna go where they did. I am so glad that years ago I gave my father in law my old 4 channel crystal controlled scanner as they never would have started to understand that. I know there are some old timers here. Anyone remember the old Bearcat 4 channel xtal scanner that went in an 8 track player in the car? Damned I am a dinosaur.

Yes but we aren't that old... :rolleyes:

Don't sweat it joe. Another thread here about CB radios got me to thinking. I believe that somewhere around here I still have a 23 Channel CB.

Also, about 5 years ago, we were in a store. On the wall was an old rotary style phone. My daughter who was 9 at the time asked what it was. We told her it was a phone. She looked at for a while and with a puzzled look on her face asked how it worked.

Talk about feeling old!

First things first... I know who The Eagles are :lol:

And believe it or not I have a crystal scanner at home from my grandfather that I used to listen to as a kid.

So not ALL of us youngsters don't know :P :P JK

My uncle actually just bought a Record to CD recorder and he is going through and putting all of his old records onto CD's kind of neat

Getting old indeed..let's see

I now need reading glasses, hair is a thing of the past, all the "anthems I grew up listening to on the radio are now commercial jingles, I hear my wife say to the kids "wait til you have kids" and agree with her, actually agree with my wife period, I would rather watch football than play it, sometimes look forward to doing nothing, feel old on retro days at my kid's school where they dress like the "80s", need my 11 y.o to show me how to work this computer and worst of all...actually sleep in bed more often than not.

And that's just off the fireground.. :lol:

Cogs

Edited by FFPCogs

When my parents sent me off to college they wanted me to have the best technology money could buy.... a K&E log log duplex slide rule.

Guess I can say I'm not that old. I know of everything you spoke of with the exception of the 8 track scanner thingy. Still have my grandfathers 4 channel crystal bearcat scanner, still have my 45's and LP's from the early 80's. Actually ran across a "Beta" VCR tape the other day in one of our firehouses. Definately fun to grow up in the era where records let go to cassettes which came and went for CD's, the microwave, VHS beat out beta as the most popular size video tape...to DVD. TV's got smaller and smaller to flat and so on.

I remember my Gramp's old International pick up from the farm, Saturday morning dump runs, jamming to Kool & The Gang on the 8 Track....word.

Looks like I'm gonna have to get rid of my 4-track reel to reel and my collection of 33s, 45s, and 78s!!!

Are we turning into our parents??? Dinner conversations usually include, "when I was your age", we: had only 13 channels on t.v., we had to get up to change the channel, to watch a movie we had to leave the house, no helmets for riding your bike, our real cool video game was PONG......Just to name a few

Getting old indeed..let's see

I now need reading glasses, hair is a thing of the past, all the "anthems I grew up listening to on the radio are now commercial jingles, I hear my wife say to the kids "wait til you have kids" and agree with her, actually agree with my wife period, I would rather watch football than play it, sometimes look forward to doing nothing, feel old on retro days at my kid's school where they dress like the "80s", need my 11 y.o to show me how to work this computer and worst of all...actually sleep in bed more often than not.

And that's just off the fireground.. :lol:

Cogs

Ah...another member of the less hair and reading glasses club. I also am agreeing with my wife more than usual and now tell my son to not to let the little head tell the big head what to do.

Here's an interesting one that made the Email-rounds recently:

How old is Grandpa???

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandfather about current events.

The grandson asked his grandfather what he thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandfather replied, 'Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There were no:

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandmother and I got married first, . . . And then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, 'Sir'.

And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, 'Sir.'

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CD's, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan' on it, it was junk

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel .

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . But who could afford one?

Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' 'grass' was mowed,

' 'coke' was a cold drink,

' 'pot' was something your mother cooked in and

' 'rock music' was your grandmother's lullaby.

' 'Aids' were helpers in the Principal's office,

' 'chip' meant a piece of wood,

' 'hardware' was found in a hardware store and

' 'software' wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us 'old and confused' and say there is a generation gap... And how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old man in mind...you are in for a shock!

Are you ready ?????

This man would be only 59 years old!!!

post-128-1220195779.jpg

HOLY SH*T !!!! :o

I just realized I've turned into my father.

Not that that is a bad thing..he was a great man, but I thought I had another 20 years. ...Damn!

Cogs

Oh yeah one more, I have to keep editing these posts becasue of my mis-spellings.

Edited by FFPCogs

Growing up we had a 4 speed Record Player...It played the 33 1/3 & 45 RPM that most are familiar with. It also played the old 78 RPM (which I still have a few, single sided at that), and it also played 16 RPM, whcih I have to admit I have never even seen. All this and I am only 38.

By the way, when I bought my last stereo, I made sure it came with a turntable that could play the old 78's.