Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
10-Buff-4

New Rochelle Old Rescue 4?

30 posts in this topic

Hi all. I posted earlier about old Rescues and saw some excellent photos. I wanted to revive the topic, specifically to ask about the predecessor (if there was one) to New Rochelle's '91 Pierce for Rescue 4, since her days are numbered. Any other interesting vintage Rescues in Bravo Land? The last topic considered mostly Rockland and Westchester, I was wondering if the good folks from Orange, Dutchess, and Putnam (and further north) had any good ones or good stories! Thanks.

-Joe DA BUFF

This was New Rochelle's only other (Heavy Rescue) prior to the delivery of the 1991 Pierce Heavy Rescue Squad. This International chassis with Boyertown body work Civil Defense rescue was used during the 1950's, -60's, and -70's until it was taken out of service and sold at public auction. I bought it, and it was fun to take to car shows and cruises, but the braking and steering were quite archaic and I never went above 35mph. After it was taken out of service, the department utilized a Dodge Ram van as Rescue 4 for a few years before the delivery of the new Pierce.

post-409-1224205142.jpg

Edited by xfirefighter484x
Please do not use ALL CAPS

Wow. Great story and thanks for sharing the photos. I didn't realize how new Rescue 4 was in New Rochelle! Beautiful rig, reminds of Boston's Rescue 2 from the 50's when it was the Rescue-Pumper Unit. Did F.D.N.R. run it or was it a purely Civil Defense rig? Thanks again!!

-Joe DA BUFF

Wow. Great story and thanks for sharing the photos. I didn't realize how new Rescue 4 was in New Rochelle! Beautiful rig, reminds of Boston's Rescue 2 from the 50's when it was the Rescue-Pumper Unit. Did F.D.N.R. run it or was it a purely Civil Defense rig? Thanks again!! -Joe DA BUFF

Between the Civil Defence Rescue and the 91' Rescue 4 there was at least 2 units designated as R-4. both Dodge vans. The C.D. unit was paid for by the feds and operated by NRFD. (Who is F.D.N.R. anyway?)

(Who is F.D.N.R. anyway?)

Franklin Delano Neil Roosevelt :lol:

Maybe it sounds good.

CPAGE

OK I allways thougth the red ford mid 1950s was rescue 4, was that a line truck? [ parked in HQ about the same time 1960s ] :blink: anybody with grey hair or no hair remember?

OK I allways thougth the red ford mid 1950s was rescue 4, was that a line truck? [ parked in HQ about the same time 1960s ]

NRFD had an old light truck that was a pick up truck chassis with a utility back. There was a generator in the open rear and on top of the utility box was mounted an assortment of flood and spot lights.

I'm sure PublicSafetyCollectibles has a picture or two of it.

:blink: anybody with grey hair or no hair remember?

OK Barry take your best shot !!!!

Edited by LTNRFD

Our old rescue (Dover ) 36-55 is still in service in the City of Poughkeepsie. Love to hear it respond!!

Credit For This Photo Goes To Joseph J. Pinto From Yonkers, New York. This Is A Shot Of New Rochelle Light Truck #1 Which Is A 1955 Ford F-500 Chassis With Bodywork By ( I Believe ) A.J. Quirks Father In Rye, New York. It Was Retired And Put Up For Auction, I Bid On It, But Someone Else Wanted The Generator And Bid A VERY HIGH Price :-( The New Rochelle Fire Department Also Had An Old Ambulance From The 1950's And Several 1950's Era Ford Trucks Including One For The Department Mechanic ( Lt. Frank Hennessey ) Who Kept The Fleet In Good Running Order. The UFFA Local 273 Boys NEED To Purchase An Antique Apparatus For Public Relations And Parades.

post-409-1224298087.jpg

Here Is Another Shot Of New Rochelle Light Truck #1 Which Is A 1955 Ford F-500 Chassis With Bodywork By ( I Believe ) A.J. Quirks Father In Rye, New York. This Was Taken At A Super Saturday Event Organized By Me At The New Rochelle Girl Scout House.

post-409-1224298381.jpg

Good stuff, thats the rig I remember. don't you have a commisioner thats an antique! :lol:

Good stuff, thats the rig I remember. don't you have a commisioner thats an antique !

Angelo, ' Doc ' Kiernan May Be An Antique ( I Am TOO !!! ) But He Is The BEST Thing That Ever Happened To The New Rochelle Fire Department :-)

Elmont NY's 1947 Mack, the box was later transplanted onto a 57 B chasis.

rescuemack.jpg

rescuebmack.jpg

in qtrs. with Hook and Ladder co. #2 circa 1967.

SupriseStFirehouse.jpg

AWESOME PHOTOS!

Thank You!

Croton's Old Rescue 18 - 1963 Mack / Name that escapes me

00059%20FD.jpg

The photo above's predecessor. I forget the vehicle make and info.

00036%20FD.jpg

They don't make rescues anymore like the Old Mack C Box Style Walk In. Those trucks stood up to the test of time and endurance. Mount Vernon FD had one just like the Croton rig pictured above.

That one looks like a Old Diamond Reo, but I may be wrong

I think you're right, I just don't remember what year. If I remember correctly, we gave that rig to Mohegan when we got the Mack.

Thats a late 40s DIAMOND T MODEL 301. DIAMOND T and REO mereged in the mid 60s to become DIAMOND REO!

Croton's Old Rescue 18 - 1963 Mack / Name that escapes me

00059%20FD.jpg

Can you say "GERSTENSLAGER"

Can you say "GERSTENSLAGER"

Sure can - Here's another shot of the Old Croton Mack C Gerstenlager

post-80-1224697230.jpg

Hillsdales Autocar and Crotons Mack former rescues are amazing. We will never see anything like that again.

Who is the manufacturer of the Hillsdale Rescue?

The cab looks like a "White" to me and not sure on the Box.

CP

The cab looks like a "White" to me and not sure on the Box.

CP

It's a Freightliner... Look at the oval logo behind the drivers door.

Wow A J Quirk. Thats a name I havent heard in a while. HeY ANG, wheres the picture of Patrol 4. It was basically a Rescue.

It's a Freightliner... Look at the oval logo behind the drivers door.

Just checked their website, it is a Freightliner cab over. Freightliner, Peterbuilt, Kenworth and a bunch of over the road truck manufacturers utilized this cab. Trivia question, who made built this style cab for these companies?