Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Do You Miss Nextel Direct Connect?

23 posts in this topic

I know a lot of my friends, including me, have switched from Nextel to other carriers due to the horrible service and customer service Sprint provides.

However, I miss the "Direct Connect" feature. It really made communications easy and quick. I wish all phones had direct connect that were compatible with different networks.

This is exactly why I still have Nextel. I use the Direct Connect every day, and, by comparison, the phone MUCH,MUCH less.

Nextel stinks I never have service anywhere and I use the phone part alot more than the direct connect but the direct connect part is great I love that part when I do use it.

In a word....."NO !

Switched to Verizon wireless about a year ago....imported my number from NEXTEL.....and I have lived happily ever after !!!

I agree wholeheartedly with you Seth I dropped my direct connect and went with Sprint about 2 years ago now and for the first year it was great but I've regretted it ever since. In fact when my contract is up in January I'm going back to the Nextel side, so I can have my direct connect back!!

Doesn't verizon have there own DC kind of thing? I've never seen anyone using it.

Not at all! Switched to Verizon, much happier with the service, coverage, COST, etc. If they add/improve their direct connect it's an added bonus, but definitely don't miss Nextel!

I switched from the IC502 to a sprint and i missed the direct connect and eneded up switching back to the IC502

nextel was great when i had it for the last company i worked for...great for work....no i have verison blackberry and i LOVE it...never go back

I still have Nextel, rarely use the DC anymore. Nobody has them anymore. I loved it though.

Oh yeah, badly. Nextel's phone/data/texting service was awful, no doubt. But I wish I could still direct connect. Not worth it anymore because no one has DC anymore.

I have Boost Mobile and I have DC and phone. I think they work off the Nextel network, I love it, I mean all the networks have a few bugs every now and then that might cause service outage.

I will be making the switch over to Verizon in the next few months. Sprint/Nextel has some of the most horrible coverage I have ever seen. During my roadtrip this past summer, I had no service in a nearly 30 mile radius of where I was staying in Missouri, and then spotty service the rest of the way. I had no service more than I had service.

I agree wholeheartedly with you Seth I dropped my direct connect and went with Sprint about 2 years ago now and for the first year it was great but I've regretted it ever since. In fact when my contract is up in January I'm going back to the Nextel side, so I can have my direct connect back!!

You don't have to wait for your contract to be over, you can switch back to nextel service it is the same company. Just have to buy a different phone

I do not miss my nextel!! i love my verizon wireless. and when contract negogation comes up in april i am getting the verizon version of it.

It's the direct connect feature that has kept NEXTEL alive this long. They went from having just about every one in the emergency services and construction on their network. To those same people not even wanting to hear their name again. As great as the direct connect feature is. It's not good to you if you keep getting a beep back. I had ATT for my personal service at the same time I had NEXTEL and ATT at the time was not bad. They got progressivly worse with there phone service as well. Eventually got rid of NEXTEL and ATT and went to Verizon. I have not regrets.

I know a lot of my friends, including me, have switched from Nextel to other carriers due to the horrible service and customer service Sprint provides.

However, I miss the "Direct Connect" feature. It really made communications easy and quick. I wish all phones had direct connect that were compatible with different networks.

Amen! Switched to Verizon about 2 months ago, have the best service I have had in years, in places I never used to, the cost is lower, the features are more, the phones cost less, and I got a better discount.

Unfortunately, the point you bring up Seth, is exactly the same topic I had a conversation with a friend about last night. I dearly miss the DC feature. Now I know that Verizon also has a Direct Connect feature, but I don't know of enough people who have it to convince me to get that on my plan. Also, Verizon also only has 2 phones out currently that support the DC feature, so limits your choices in phones.

I had Nextel for several years, started with the i1000

on up to various other Nextel phones.

Two years ago I got rid of Nextel for a Motorola Razor with Cingular.

I noticed a little better service area but not much.

I did miss Nextel DC so I swiched back last year.

I now have the Nextel BlackBerry with all the bells and whistles,

I like it.

I got the hybrid and haven't used the direct connect like I used too. Texting and talking more now. iPhone here I come!

Got rid of it 2 years ago after most every one I knew switched to Verizon. The service sucked and hardly any friends and family members had DC anymore. Was useful back when i worked construction. As for casual conversation it was nothing more than a fad back in 2003 for me...and I think pretty much everyone else in America. It was so annoying you could never get away from that f'N chirp, the movies, resteraunts, family gatherings it didn't matter. The other day I was riding the LIRR and the kid behind me was having a DC conversation. For the first 2 minutes it was kind of nostalgic since it was the first time i'd heard it in a while, but after that I wanted to strangle him!!!

Years from now when we look back on the early 2000's we'll smile and cringe when we think of nextel, similar to the way we look back on disco and bell bottoms

I just switched to verizon last night. I'm sure i'll miss the DC at first, but i'll get used to it. The phone service is crap, the customer service is worse, and it costs way too much. I've had my verizon for literally less than 24 hours, and I already love it. Service all the way down route 9 through briarcliff and archville, which i could never get with nextel! Goodbye, and good riddance!!

Where I live it was a tough switch from nextel to AT&T cause nextel was decent. I switched to one of the hybrids and the service was good and I used the direct connect a lot. Switched over to the iphone and I don't miss the phone but the direct connect surely is being missed