Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
nycemt728

Juvenile Handling an Automatic Weapon - Tragic Incident

21 posts in this topic

WESTFIELD, Mass. - An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.
New York Daily News-Leo Standora 10/28/08

Conneticut boy, 8, killed in Mass Gun Show Accident

This is utterly ridiculous! I can't support or fathom why a parent would let their child hold and use an automatic weapon at age 8. I don't care how responsible, talented, or interested the child is, it is just not acceptable. It not only shows bad judgement as a parent, but bad judgement as a gun lover/owner not to know the power of the weapon and know its just a bad idea. At age 13 (very short and still am) I fired a shotgun and it knocked me back a good bit... I can't imagine what this was like. Tragic, and theres no excuses, only plain stupidity. Any cops care to comment?

This is utterly ridiculous! I can't support or fathom why a parent would let their child hold and use an automatic weapon at age 8. I don't care how responsible, talented, or interested the child is, it is just not acceptable. It not only shows bad judgement as a parent, but bad judgement as a gun lover/owner not to know the power of the weapon and know its just a bad idea. At age 13 (very short and still am) I fired a shotgun and it knocked me back a good bit... I can't imagine what this was like. Tragic, and theres no excuses, only plain stupidity. Any cops care to comment?

I'm sure cops won't be the only one's to reply - any parent and any person with one ounce of common sense will have an opinion. I heard the story on the radio and couldn't comprehend the stupidity of allowing a child to handle a fully automatic weapon. As a police officer and a parent, I've already started teaching my six year old about firearms safety. He's been taught how dangerous they are and he's been shown how they work at the range but he's never been allowed to handle a gun by himself, let alone fire one by himself.

NO words can express my feelings toward this parent............

Lets start off with endangering the welfare of a child, Involuntary manslaughter - recklessness, Criminal possession of a weapon??? (depending on the circumstances).... and for the grand finale (drum roll please.....) STUPIDITY in the first degree.

Lets start off with endangering the welfare of a child, Involuntary manslaughter - recklessness, Criminal possession of a weapon??? (depending on the circumstances).... and for the grand finale (drum roll please.....) STUPIDITY in the first degree.

If they made stupidity a crime, we'd need a LOT more prison space!!!

My father taugth me how to shoot an M-4 Carbine, .357 and .44 Magnum at age 10 at a bible camp and that was an experience. At age 8 there is no reason to be handling firearms, even 12 is too young. And what was the gun going loaded at a firearms show anyway.

My father taugth me how to shoot an M-4 Carbine, .357 and .44 Magnum at age 10 at a bible camp and that was an experience.

Not from Waco are you? Guns and Bible camp? Sounds like a cult to me!! :P

the bottom line is that young children should not be handling guns and gun safety should be taken more seriously

Sounds like more than the parents are at fault for handing an full-auto wepon to a child. While it may be 'allowed' per the article, common sense :blink: should dictate not handing it to a child.

As far as gun safety, If you posses a gun in your home everyone should be aware of proper handling and gun safety. I feel if the child in the home is shown proper safety, it is less likely to be a 'show and tell' item to friends, in turn cutting down the chance of an accident. I was shown proper handling when I was young by my father, and it was never a toy.

My 2 cents

You summed it up very good. Would you let an 8 year old drive a car?

This happens to adults too, look for the youtube video of the guy who shot himself in the hand with an automatic glock pistol. You need to have strength to hold a pistol/pistol grip rifle, something an 8 year old does not have. The guy who gave him the gun should be charged with a crime, he should have known better.

I dunno what's worse, the unbelievable irresponsibiliy of the parent, the firearms instructor, or the fact that an 8 year old kid was handling a weapon that, correct me if I'm wrong here my cop pals, is illegal. Maybe I'm just getting a little softer in my advancing age, but I think the guilt and grief these folks are going through is worse than any prison sentence.

Side note, handled my first weapon at age 11 at Camp Siwanoy, never touched a firearm again until I was in the military.

I dunno what's worse, the unbelievable irresponsibiliy of the parent, the firearms instructor, or the fact that an 8 year old kid was handling a weapon that, correct me if I'm wrong here my cop pals, is illegal. Maybe I'm just getting a little softer in my advancing age, but I think the guilt and grief these folks are going through is worse than any prison sentence.

Side note, handled my first weapon at age 11 at Camp Siwanoy, never touched a firearm again until I was in the military.

that would be a "certified instructor"

What is worse is that the kid's father IS A DOCTOR AND RUNS THE EMERGENCY DEPARTMENT OF A HOSPITAL IN NORTHERN CT!!!!!!!! Did anyone catch that in the plethera of articles out there?

COME ON PEOPLE! By no means should a child especially at that age be holding or using a gun at that age, espeically a high powered unit such as the Uzi used! I'm for gun owners rights and the 2nd Amendment but this is a blatent disregard of parenting.

I would not really classify a 9mm as a high powered unit. I dont see the reason for civilian ownership of automatic weapons. They serve no purpose and almost always end up in the WRONG hands.

as a father of a 9 year old boy I cant imagine letting him hold a Uzi or anything stronger than a bb gun and that would be with my direct supervision and being and after being taught how to handle it and use it SAFELY. He has learned at Scout Camp the basics for a BB gun and will get further training from me when the time is right. I think the Parent who let him handle this weapon should be charged and arrested and the Certified Instructor should be as well. How can this parent live with themselves after something so tragic has happened to their child? You gotta ask WHAt were you thinking? JUst my 2 cents

"The club said on its Web site that the event, run in conjunction with C.O.P Firearms and Training, is "all legal and fun." People are allowed to fire weapons at vehicles, pumpkins and other targets, it said."

This article does not put this group in the best light. It reads like they run on the loose and wild side when they they state they fire at vehicles. During my firearms training many years ago, I was taught when you fire you should know where your bullet will end up. Firing at vehicles invites ricochets, and that means you do not know where that round is going.

I agree there should be charges in this case, but there will not be. This is because the liberals will scream that this is the reason that all guns should be banned, and the conservatives will respond that such protests are exactly why they should not be banned, and in all the political crap from both sides, the actual incident will be more or less forgotten. When it comes time to look at charges, everyone will gush with misplaced sympathy for the father who tragically lost his son, and say he has been punished enough. He has not.

I am a strong advocate of private gun ownership and think we have too many gun laws as it is. But what really gets me is the lack of enforcement which turns those gun laws into a joke. If we as a society make an example of this man for his bad parenting, maybe it will keep the next jerk from handing a child an Uzi and possibly save a life.

As for this Instructor, perhaps his certification should be at stake. There is a huge difference between teaching children about gun safety and letting them fire a weapon. Why should someone who obviously doesn't grasp range safety be allowed to teach anyone anything about guns?

I read in the New Haven Register this the morning that the D.A. in Mass is contemplating charges.

I read in the New Haven Register this the morning that the D.A. in Mass is contemplating charges.

Yes, on NECN (New England Cable News) this is a confirmed report the DA is contemplating charges as soon as the investigation is over.