Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mfc2257

Millwood VFC New Delivery

30 posts in this topic

Got word from an old friend that Millwood took delivery of the new Truck 52 (2008 Sutphen 75ft Quint) replacing E-245 (1982 E-One/Kenworth TeleSquirt formerly known as TS-2).

Best wishes to my old brothers in Millwood. Given the abundance of 100ft towers and straight jobs surrounding MFC, I'm not sure how often Truck 52 will actually operate in the capacity of a true truck company. My only advice is to train hard.... Just going through the motions of a 2.5 hour drill on Tuesday nights won't a make you a truckie.... Truck work is not for the week hearted and with modern construction it is becoming exceedingly more dangerous.

-Ed-

Edited by mfc2257

Any one got any photos? Is it a bucket or a stick?

Edited by bvfdjc316

Any one got any photos? Is it a bucket or a stick?

Stick.... Think TL-27 w/o the bucket....

its a pretty nice looking truck its a stick i saw it going down the sprain on sat

...From that angle, Can't tell if it even has wheels.....

(LOL) B)

Truck is a 75ft mid mount straight stick on a 6 wheel chasis, 6 man cab, 400 gallon water tank, 20 gallon class A foam tank capable of flowing foam from any of the discharges (not a CAFS system though), ladder compliment 3 fly 36', 2 fly 24', 16' straight ladder, 16' and 12' roof ladders, 14' 2 fly, collapsible attic ladder. 1000 GPM tip, automatic nozzle, at the ladder tip. Will be able to hold approx 1100-1200 feet of 5" LDH. Preconnects in the front bumper 1 1/2", 2 crosslays above pump panel 1 1/2" and 2 rear pre piped discharges one 1 1/2" and a 2 1/2" Working on some additional truck equipment as well as specific truck company op's training.

Will be located at station 1 in the heart of downtown Millwood, photo's are coming and will post anymore details as they become available.

Good luck with it, Millwood!!! May she give you a lot of years of great service!!!!

Good luck. Thank GOD you didnt get a bucket on it.

Good luck. Thank GOD you didnt get a bucket on it.

I was on the apparatus committee for E-248 (2004 Spartan Gladiator / Sutphen Body) and I can tell you that many of the older guys that were putting in their two cents were telling us that we had to buy a bucket for when the Telesquirt was replaced. They didn't take it too kindly when I told them that they didn't know enough about truck company op's to offer that type of opinion and that there were 10 tower ladders within a 10 minute response to the district.

This rig will serve Millwood well given the height restrictions at Headquarters and some of the oddball driveways that are in the district where the mid-mount design will make for maximum use of the stick. I forsee it serving more as a Engine than a Truck given the excessive number of established truck companies that surround Millwood, but for FF safety, and ISO purposes it seems to be a good fit. If HQ didn't have height restrictions I may have preferred a nice compact 75ft rearmount like Truck 47 or Truck 10, but since the Fire District has dropped the ball bigtime on building a new Headquarters Station, the Sutphen really is the best rig on a single axle.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a list of towns within 10 miles as the crow flies from Millwood with ladder companies:

Chappaqua TL27

Pleasentville TL5

Thornwood TL1

Hawthorne TL12

Briarcliff TL40

Ossining L41, L42

Croton on Hudson TL44

Sleepy Hollow TL38

Valhalla TL49

Tarrytown TL78, L37

Yorktown L51

Montrose TL8

Bedford Hills TL57

Katonah (when it arrives)

Somers TL18

Mt. Kisco TL14, L43

And maybe parts of Peekskill, Elmsford, White Plains, Verplank, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Purchase and Mohegan.

That is a great many ladders on that side of the county.

Correct me if I am wrong but this is a list of towns within 10 miles as the crow flies from Millwood with ladder companies:

Chappaqua TL27

Pleasentville TL5

Thornwood TL1

Hawthorne TL12

Briarcliff TL40

Ossining L41, L42

Croton on Hudson TL44

Sleepy Hollow TL38

Valhalla TL49

Tarrytown TL78, L37

Yorktown L51

Montrose TL8

Bedford Hills TL57

Katonah (when it arrives)

Somers TL18

Mt. Kisco TL14, L43

And maybe parts of Peekskill, Elmsford, White Plains, Verplank, Irvington, Dobbs Ferry, Purchase and Mohegan.

That is a great many ladders on that side of the county.

Yes you are correct... To tell you the truth, there are too many ladders in the Northern end of the county. But until all the egos can lobby the state government to allow for a county wide department (or at least county wide authority on apparatus response and placement) then you'll just see more duplication.

It is really dilutive to tell you the truth. There isn't but a handfull of companies on that list that are "real" truck companies.... That see enough action that their guys are actually pro's at what they do.

You could cut the number of wannabe truck companies and rescue companies in half and let a handful of companies become proficient at the job. I'd be the first to step in and say that Millwood is one company that could focus on suppresion and rescue and leave truck work to Ossining, Kisco, & Yorktown. The county apparatus fleet could be cut by 40+ percent if folks started focusing on what resources are needed to get the job done rather than to have the biggest baddest fleet.

Yes you are correct... To tell you the truth, there are too many ladders in the Northern end of the county. But until all the egos can lobby the state government to allow for a county wide department (or at least county wide authority on apparatus response and placement) then you'll just see more duplication.

It is really dilutive to tell you the truth. There isn't but a handfull of companies on that list that are "real" truck companies.... That see enough action that their guys are actually pro's at what they do.

You could cut the number of wannabe truck companies and rescue companies in half and let a handful of companies become proficient at the job. I'd be the first to step in and say that Millwood is one company that could focus on suppresion and rescue and leave truck work to Ossining, Kisco, & Yorktown. The county apparatus fleet could be cut by 40+ percent if folks started focusing on what resources are needed to get the job done rather than to have the biggest baddest fleet.

hate to rain on your parade but not many departments are gonna know how many members they are gonna get on a scene. and what is this "real" truck company you talk of??? are we talking about NY city, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Peekskill, Ossining? where all the personel that are members at that house only do truck company ops? Millwood does have needs for a stick. just like some of the departments on the list in the previous post.

Good Luck with it Millwood!!!

hate to rain on your parade but not many departments are gonna know how many members they are gonna get on a scene. and what is this "real" truck company you talk of??? are we talking about NY city, Yonkers, Mount Vernon, Peekskill, Ossining? where all the personel that are members at that house only do truck company ops? Millwood does have needs for a stick. just like some of the departments on the list in the previous post.

Good Luck with it Millwood!!!

Trust be bro you're not raining on anything.

What I mean by "real truck company" is... Just because you have an aerial device doesn't mean that your FF's have the experience and training to act in the capacity of a truck company. I've seen plenty of botched roof cuts, windows in the wrong part of the building taken at the wrong time putting the interior crews at risk, horrible apparatus placement, lack of proper ground ladder positioning or not throwing them at all, inability to control utilities, poor search techniques, etc....

Again... There are too many truck companies in Westchester County. It becomes dilutive (watered down) for one or both of the following reasons. 1) There are too many trucks to go around and not enough jobs thus the FF's aren't getting enough on the job training OR 2) The same FF's that are running the truck are also training for suppression, water supply, vehicle rescue, etc... and there is not enough focus on the MANY tasks that a truck crew must perform in the initial moments of a big job.

Westchester County has loaded itself up with all this equipment (duplicated often times more than once in the same towns) and there just isn't enough demand for it's use. A system of proper apparatus purchase within the County and appropriate management of apparatus on initial alarm assignments (ie you don't have to own a ladder truck if the town next to you has one that will be on your initial alarm assignment) would eliminate the duplication of apparatus and thus make FF's more proficient at their assigned tasks when going to a job.

Edited by mfc2257

Trust be bro you're not raining on anything.

What I mean by "real truck company" is... Just because you have an aerial device doesn't mean that your FF's have the experience and training to act in the capacity of a truck company. I've seen plenty of botched roof cuts, windows in the wrong part of the building taken at the wrong time putting the interior crews at risk, horrible apparatus placement, lack of proper ground ladder positioning or not throwing them at all, inability to control utilities, poor search techniques, etc....

Again... There are too many truck companies in Westchester County. It becomes dilutive (watered down) for one or both of the following reasons. 1) There are too many trucks to go around and not enough jobs thus the FF's aren't getting enough on the job training OR 2) The same FF's that are running the truck are also training for suppression, water supply, vehicle rescue, etc... and there is not enough focus on the MANY tasks that a truck crew must perform in the initial moments of a big job.

Westchester County has loaded itself up with all this equipment (duplicated often times more than once in the same towns) and there just isn't enough demand for it's use. A system of proper apparatus purchase within the County and appropriate management of apparatus on initial alarm assignments (ie you don't have to own a ladder truck if the town next to you has one that will be on your initial alarm assignment) would eliminate the duplication of apparatus and thus make FF's more proficient at their assigned tasks when going to a job.

i see what your saying. but i am a member of a department who has a ladder tower that was used early this morning. you mean to tell me that my department doesnt know what we are doing??

and we also have a rescue. and again are you telling me we dont know how to do rescue work??

i see what your saying. but i am a member of a department who has a ladder tower that was used early this morning. you mean to tell me that my department doesnt know what we are doing??

and we also have a rescue. and again are you telling me we dont know how to do rescue work??

I dont think thats what he's saying. What I think he's trying to say is that every department, regardless of size doesn't need 3 engines, a ladder, a rescue etc. etc.

And I totally agree.

If districts started realizing that there are already apparatus within a few miles of their district, what is the point of overloading the county with unnecessary apparatus...putting a strain on taxpayers and what not. He's not knocking the way anyone operates or discredits anyone's ability. If we minimized the apparatus, departments could focus on what their individual stations were assigned to do...engine work, truck, rescue ect. Operations would work so much smoother, and people would know exactly what is required of them when they showed up on an incident.

Departments need to drop the egos and start thinking large scale. Down here in FL, the departments get along great with sharing resources and units. Every house basically has only an engine or a ladder, and they're spread out over wide areas. I know we've beaten the dead horse, brought it back to life again, then busted it up again, but why not do the same in Westchester?

So which ones are real truck companies...in your opinion?

So which ones are real truck companies...in your opinion?

Duh... The ones that win at parades!

Seriouslly though, it would turn this conversation into a mess if I were to offer that opinion on a company by company basis. Lets face it, if you've turned a wheel on a handful of serious jobs in Northern Westchester, you can pretty much figure out who gets the truck work, and who gets called late in the game for a good soaking from above.

I'm not telling you anything other than the fact that Westchester County has too many aerial devices in it and there is a great number of them that don't and won't get used on a regular basis.

If you equate that with a personal attack on you or your company then I can't help you.

I'm not telling you anything other than the fact that Westchester County has too many aerial devices in it and there is a great number of them that don't and won't get used on a regular basis.

One problem that you did not mention was the IC must also understand truck work. I have witnessed a number of working fires in the northern portion of the county and was suprised when chiefs ordered truck companies to stay out of the block, so the engines could get in position. One fire that needed a ladder up front, it arrived 1st, was ordered to stay out and was then blocked by 3 engines. Later when they realized they needed it, they had to move 1,200' of charged 5" and 2 engines that were hooked up.

I also see that engines routinly stop infront of the building so the cross lay works well. To get good truck work the engine needs to drive past the structure. This is one reason that many city depts stretch off the rear.

The way I was taught is that the Truck should always be in front of the building incase we need to put the ladder up or for other things such as ground ladders or other necessary tools.

Nice looking truck, is it stripped and lettered yet or has it arrived as shown in the pictures?

Nice looking truck, is it stripped and lettered yet or has it arrived as shown in the pictures?

It was delivered as shown so we still need to have it stripped and lettered. Should be done in the coming weeks. Once it is all done, the page will be redone with the updated photos.

since a pic has been posted, I dont feel like I'm letting the cat out of the bag. we stopped in on Sunday after visiting with Briarcliff Manor. the Brothers were nice enough to come back to the firehouse, even though they were driver training, and stopped for a couple of quick pics. It is a really nice rig, and we hope to get the "finish" shots as soon as the rig is completed.

post-1211-1225940250.jpg

Edited by e290l103

Wow, a midmount straight stick...last one I saw in service was Yorktown's antique Lafrance (kidding bout antique). Peekskill used to have 1 too, a long long time ago!