Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RWC130

Idling cars no longer allowed in Westchester

25 posts in this topic

Idling cars no longer allowed in Westchester

By Gerald McKinstry

The Journal News • November 11, 2008

WHITE PLAINS - Westchester County lawmakers last night made it illegal for drivers to keep their vehicles running for three minutes or more while parked.

The goal is to reduce dangerous emissions like carbon dioxide that contribute to Westchester's poor air quality and to global warming, said Thomas Abinanti, D-Greenburgh, the bill's sponsor.

"Climate change is the defining issue of the 21st century," Abinanti said. "We can do our part by not adding to the problem.

http://lohud.com/article/20081111/NEWS02/811110401

How do you enfoce it? Do you chalk the tires and then come back three minutes later to see if it is still on.

I'm not quite clear what authority they think they have to do this; who are they to determine ahead of time whether or not I should leave my car idling? And most idle running will be on private property anyway, warming up on cold winter mornings, rather than the highway, so I don't quite see what this is supposed to achieve...

most idle running will be on private property

That will be interesting to see how it is enforced?

Can it be enforced?

I think EVERYONE warms up cars on a cold morning.

Can you be ticketed in your driveway?

Without reading the law I'd say it can be enforced anywhere. Three minutes isn't hard to stand there and time, and it isn't long at all. So much for warming it up to defrost the windows. The snow/ice covered window tickets will also increase in this case. As far as the idling on private property, the exhaust travels to public areas and the atmosphere, so unless you have one of those giant tents over your property I'd say the government has a say so, not that I agree AT ALL with it. They're trying to outlaw leaf blowers too, next will be snow blowers then lawn mowers. Welcome to communist America, it's only just begun!!!!

Another useless feel good law that will never be enforced. Go over to any county facility and watch how long the diesels idle in the morning now that its cold out.

Air quality around my moms house seems fine. This is really a BS feel good about yourself law.

According to the article, it is being modeled after or is revising the existing diesel idling law which is as follows:

Section 873.1317 of the Laws of Westchester County:

[Added 5-28-1987, eff. 5-28-1987; amended by L.L. No. 1-2006]

1. No person shall operate, allow or permit the operation of a diesel engine or vehicle propelled by a diesel engine in such a manner as to emit exhaust emissions equal to or greater than 20 percent opacity for a continuous period of more than five seconds as determined by a trained certified observer.

2. No person shall allow or permit a bus or truck, the motive power for which is provided by a diesel engine to idle for more than three consecutive minutes when the bus or truck is not in motion, except that this provision shall not apply when:

a. A bus or truck, the motive power for which is provided by a diesel engine, is forced to remain motionless because of traffic conditions over which the operator thereof has no control:

b. Regulations adopted by a federal, state or local agency having jurisdiction require the maintenance of a specific temperature for passenger comfort, in which case the idling time may be increased to the extent necessary to comply with such regulations:

c. A diesel engine is being used to provide power for an essential auxiliary purpose, such as loading, discharging, mixing or processing cargo; controlling cargo temperature; construction; lumbering; oil or gas well servicing; farming operations; or when operation of the engine is required for the purpose of maintenance;

d. Trucks and heavy-duty construction equipment propelled by diesel engines, owned and operated by persons engaged in mining and quarrying, are used within the confines of such person's property.

Editor's Note: L.L. No. 1-2006 deleted former Subsection e, prohibiting diesel-engine vehicles from remaining motionless for more than two hours when the temperature is below 25° F., which immediately followed this subsection, effective 1-1-2007.

3. This section shall apply to any person who owns, operates, leases, supervises or who otherwise has charge, supervision or control of such vehicle and to any person who owns, leases or occupies land and has actual or apparent domain or control over such vehicle or engine which is present on such land.

4. This section shall not apply to fire trucks and other emergency vehicles and equipment while performing essential services.

Until someone can post the actual legislation as it relates to the new amendment/section it is really impossible to know what is realistic or (un)enforceable.

That said, I bet it will be enforceable when you respond to the post office/deli/gas station/etc. for the stolen vehicle complaint and the victim reports that "they left their car running for a few minutes while they ran inside". :P How's that for adding insult to injury. Here's the complaint number for your file 1 report and a ticket for leaving your car running!!!!

they passed a law like this in the metro Denvere area a coupl years ago where my family lives and they have seen a dramatic reduction on stolen vehicles. That was the reason that was stated in the Denver law. leave your new BMW in the drive running for 3 minutes and see if its still there, If so postyour address I nee a new ride :o;)

I find it hard to beleive this is for the climate.. Sounds like another way the county is gonna take the money from its residents... Bunch of crap..

I do however agree with Chris about the it having something to do with a reduction in stolen cars from places other than your driveway.

We had a policy put in place at work a few months ago, this is an expanse of the Federal Law prohibiting all Diesel Commercial trucks from idiling.

It was orginally 32 degrees and below you could let trucks idle if you were sleeping in them, at truck stops etc. they have know lowered it to 25 degs. outside, and no means to plug in trucks so block heater can keep engine warm, it makes sense in some degree to me, but do we need a law, more tickets etc.? Big Brother just seems to be getting bigger.

more importantly how does this affect emergency vehicles idling at an incident? does anyone know of an exemption in the law? and will the cop standing there timing your car idling leave his running? lol

more importantly how does this affect emergency vehicles idling at an incident? does anyone know of an exemption in the law? and will the cop standing there timing your car idling leave his running? lol

Emergancy vehicles are exempt. Now does that include your OV at an emergancy? Probably not.

Emergancy vehicles are exempt. Now does that include your OV at an emergancy? Probably not.

I doubt an LEO would do that.. I mean if you have lights(hazards, emergency lights )on what are you suppose to do let your POV's battery go dead? (this is if you find yourself in a position where you can not park your vehicle in a place out of the way).

I doubt an LEO would do that.. I mean if you have lights(hazards, emergency lights )on what are you suppose to do let your POV's battery go dead? (this is if you find yourself in a position where you can not park your vehicle in a place out of the way).

How else will your car stay nice and toasty while your on the Carbon monoxide detector activation with no symptoms? ;)

This seems like a home run. While I am writing you a ticket for parking in a FIRE LANE I can write you another for letting your car IDLE. I just doubled my numbers. Thanks.

This seems like a home run. While I am writing you a ticket for parking in a FIRE LANE I can write you another for letting your car IDLE. I just doubled my numbers. Thanks.

LOL. Good thinking brother...get em!

Not to churn a pot.... But, I wonder if this isn't pre-empted by Federal Law..... Never mind. Two totally different issues. The thing had been fresh in my mind because Mayor Bloomberg recently lost his bid to have an all Hybrid Taxi fleet because setting standards on Air Pollution was up to the Federal Government. Two totally different issues though. I can certainly see the County's interest in Fresh Air and the Public Health.

Carrying on....

-Joe DA BUFF

well big brother is watching. it would be interesting to know how many people have been given a ticket so far. do idling emergency vehicles not cause pollution? yes that would be interesting to see leaf blowers outlawed. also all other outdoor power equipment.

Several Westchester communities already have seasonal (summer) leaf blower bans, including: Yonkers, Hastings, Greenburgh, Bronxville, Larchmont, Pelham village, Scarsdale and the town of Mamaroneck.

Several Westchester communities already have seasonal (summer) leaf blower bans, including: Yonkers, Hastings, Greenburgh, Bronxville, Larchmont, Pelham village, Scarsdale and the town of Mamaroneck.

And White Plains.

Yes, yes more laws. That will fix all our problems.

Well, personal discipline, mindfulness, respect for those we share space with might just solve all our problems, or at least a large part of

them. Absent that, and it does seem to be in short supply, one needs guidelines for when behavior has crossed a line. So long as there are those among us who do things "because I can and you can't stop me." then we will need rules. Do not blame rules, those who ask for them, or those who enforce them. Put it where it belongs, with people who disregard the impacts their actions will have on others.

Idling a vehicle for long periods is stupid, end of story. If people do it then we need a rule that says not to. It's a finite planet with finite resources. Act responsibly and expect that others will do the same and we won't need rules. Until then...

Rye also has a summer leaf blower ban.