Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

2008 Pierce Velocity Top Mount PUC

33 posts in this topic

I know we've discussed this model on here before, but recently I had another oppurtunity to check out the Pierce Velocity Top Mount PUC- with my camera, and I was impressed!

I love how the pump panel isn't your traditonal "top mount", but keeps the operator out of the way of traffic and has a 360 degree view of the incident. Also, the pump is easy to get to and maintain, there's a ton of storage room, and it has a short wheelbase. With the luxuries of the Velocity cab, this really is one SWEET engine!

I will post a few photos so you can see for yourself. I didn't get compartment shots, but they are cavernous and also include compartments on the top of that apparatus.

Here's the 2008 Pierce Velocity Top Mount PUC:

post-11-1226960755.jpg

The pump panel. The stairs fold into a compartment in which you then close the doors. However, there is a variety of ways to spec the stairs as well as the operator position height.

post-11-1226961165.jpg

And here is the operators control panel.....

post-11-1226961262.jpg

Rear officers side...

Note the safer "pool ladder" that comes down ALL the way to the ground when unstowed to access the top hosebed, which has compartments as well as a walkway to make packing hose easier.

post-11-1226961376.jpg

With the PUC, you have pump and roll capabilities since the pump is PTO. This one came equipped with a front-remote controlled nozzle that can flow water or foam from the drivers seat. Great for grass and car fires. Also great when you have to move the apparatus, you don't have to disengage the pump, move, rengage, etc...

post-11-1226961545.jpg

The officers side of the PUC. I didn't get a photo (of the officers seat), but the officer's position has a ton of space, almost a whole desk, with plenty of space for a laptop, maps, radios, etc.

post-11-1226961776.jpg

The very erogonomically designed drivers seat of the PUC....everything is within comfortale reach of the driver. The seat is also super comfortable, being wider and more padded then competitors models I have seen.

The AC is also FREEZING and easy to control.

Also, the "Command Zone" screen gives you a whole bunch of data about the truck. But one of the neat things you can spec is camera on the right side, camera to the rear, and camera to the rear cab all linked to this monitor.

post-11-1226962118.jpg

The Pierce PSS seat. NFPA 2009 Compliant.

Wider then previous models. "No hands" SCBA lock- just sit in the seat and it will lock your SCBA in- go to get out and it will release. It also has a larger, longer red seatbelt, as well as an indicator to tell the driver and officer if that seat is filled and if that person is wearing their seatbelt.

post-11-1226962331.jpg

A side shot with stairs retracted. The crosslays can be increased, this model is configured with a side by side crosslays and a sealed transverse backboard and "A-frame" ladder compartment.

post-11-1226962468.jpg

And to finish up with the photos for now....the graphic on the door.

post-11-1226962993.jpg

All photos were taken by me. Again, the chasis is a 2008 Pierce Velocity, body is a Pierce PUC Top Mount Pump Panel.

This is a nice looking truck.

Does anyone know what the prices are compaired to their other lines? Are they more expensive or about the same?

I love Pierce, been to the plant a few times, Nice looking rig Seth. Isn't a dept in this area taking delievery of a PUC soon.

I love Pierce, been to the plant a few times, Nice looking rig Seth. Isn't a dept in this area taking delievery of a PUC soon.

Beekman I beleive....

Yes Dan your correct. side note to Dan, Did you see the pics of the garage fire?

Edited by markmets415

Yes Dan your correct. side note to Dan, Did you see the pics of the garage fire?

No...where?

I know we've discussed this model on here before, but recently I had another oppurtunity to check out the Pierce Velocity Top Mount PUC- with my camera, and I was impressed!

I love how the pump panel isn't your traditonal "top mount", but keeps the operator out of the way of traffic and has a 360 degree view of the incident. Also, the pump is easy to get to and maintain, there's a ton of storage room, and it has a short wheelbase. With the luxuries of the Velocity cab, this really is one SWEET engine!

I am always impressed when a manufacturer tries to develop something new. While new ideas may or maynot be workable, when the engineers are allowed to try new concepts the fire service learns from it and moves forward.

I see 3 major problems with the PUC.

1) The 360 degree view is only out at a distance. When standing at the pump panel you can not see 3 sides of the rig. Thats why the PUC in your pictures has a camera on the adjustable pole (to the right of the pump panel, on the back of the cab). The monitor is built into the MUC screen at the top left of the pump panel. In daylight it is not bright enough to see it and if you forgot to put the pole up, you have to climb back down, adjust it, then climb back up.

2) Climbing up to this "top mount" is a little shaky, climbing down is a career ender. It is very easy to take a header. If the pump operator can climb up at the begining of a fire and not come down again it might be ok, but I have never seen a pump operator that has the ability to stay at the pump panel 100% of the time.

3) The "S" turns in the pump intake reduce the pump capacity. I've heard that the best draft a 1500 gpm unit can do is 1,247 gpm (Miami-Dade).

I operated Bolton, CT's 100' aluminum aerial ladder quint on the Velocity chassis at a recent aerial operator's class and it is one nice truck. The PUC though I'm not a big fan off as it seems to be more hype than function. I haven't seen one up close yet but I would like too soon.

Beekman I beleive....

Yes we are in the process of building a PUC on a Velocity chassis. We are expecting delivery sometime around the Feb/Mar time period so warm up your cameras. Not a top mount though. We were at the factory in early September and you would not believe the number of these things they have. You couldnt look in any direction or go to any building without seeing numerous PUC's.

Yes we are in the process of building a PUC on a Velocity chassis. We are expecting delivery sometime around the Feb/Mar time period so warm up your cameras. Not a top mount though. We were at the factory in early September and you would not believe the number of these things they have. You couldnt look in any direction or go to any building without seeing numerous PUC's.

Did you start with Tyler Fire or did you actually begin with Firematic, we are currently working on a B.R.A.T with Firematic.

Did you start with Tyler Fire or did you actually begin with Firematic, we are currently working on a B.R.A.T with Firematic.

We started with Tyler over a year ago. It was well before the change. We were told that we can stay with them if we were to build something new. We would have to request Tyler be our rep through Pierce.

i like these new peirce, but not the ones with the big mirrors

Larger mirrors = you see more of what is behind you.

We started with Tyler over a year ago. It was well before the change. We were told that we can stay with them if we were to build something new. We would have to request Tyler be our rep through Pierce.

I loved working with Wayne Tyler, he treated us well, but on the last two rigs we had no luck with his reps and thus ended up buying something else.

Nice Looking rig cant wait to see Beekmans when he wet down?

Larger mirrors = you see more of what is behind you.

you have a good point, i just don't like the way they made them

1) The 360 degree view is only out at a distance. When standing at the pump panel you can not see 3 sides of the rig. Thats why the PUC in your pictures has a camera on the adjustable pole (to the right of the pump panel, on the back of the cab). The monitor is built into the MUC screen at the top left of the pump panel. In daylight it is not bright enough to see it and if you forgot to put the pole up, you have to climb back down, adjust it, then climb back up.

2) Climbing up to this "top mount" is a little shaky, climbing down is a career ender. It is very easy to take a header. If the pump operator can climb up at the begining of a fire and not come down again it might be ok, but I have never seen a pump operator that has the ability to stay at the pump panel 100% of the time.

Although I agree with your points about the drawbacks, I'm just curious if you feel the same about a traditional top mount pump, in regards to climbing up and down?

The main benefit I see to mounting the pump on the top side is that the operator is out of traffic, which is great for an Engine comany that spends a good deal of time out on an interstate. That's one of the main reasons why I like the PUC.

There are several things I don't like, but it can be spec'd differently then the demo.

We actually drove the velocity with the "ant feeler" mirrors and it was very distracting. The way they are mounted to the cab, it creates a huge obstruction for the driver when making turns. And once you pick them, you are stuck with them. the mounts are manufactured as part of the windshield frame/a post.

Jrs you are talking about these mirrors correct, if so I can't say they are real appealing either

post-16297-1227999947.jpg

Although I agree with your points about the drawbacks, I'm just curious if you feel the same about a traditional top mount pump, in regards to climbing up and down?

While climbing up and down on a traditional top mount is more likely to cause knee/ankle injuries, I never felt like I needed a helmet, because the PUC side/top mount I thought was more likely to actually take a header. Also the view from the traditional is much better.

The main benefit I see to mounting the pump on the top side is that the operator is out of traffic, which is great for an Engine comany that spends a good deal of time out on an interstate. That's one of the main reasons why I like the PUC.

He still needs to climb up & down on the traffic side. I worked on E-24 for a number of years (FF, MPO, LT) and we were 1st & 2nd due on I-95 so I know what your concern is, but I'm not sure this really does it.

There are several things I don't like, but it can be spec'd differently then the demo.

Not sure you can get around the poor pump volume.

I can't argue with you really, Barry. I don't like top mount pump panels, because there is too much up and down, I just really like the vantage point, compact and easy operators panel, being out of the way of hoselines, mud, puddles, etc, and especially traffic.

Although it may not be suitable for everyone, I think there are features of the PUC that are great for some fire companies. Not all PUC's have the top mount panel. And, it flows 2 2.5" handlines and a deckgun pretty well from a low pressure hydrant. Also to note, it's a PTO pump which has it's benefits and it's drawbacks. It's also got a ton of compartment space and a short wheelbase.