Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest MRK303

Millwood/Yorktown district?

49 posts in this topic

I am under the impression that all it takes is the chiefs and commissioners agreement to make an automatic dual response.

Your impression is correct. An agreement needs to be drafted, signed by the responsible parties, then put on file with the county so that it can be entered into the CAD system. Then the next time there is a fire it would sound something similar to "60 Control to Yorktown with Millwood under automatic aid, respond to 123 ABC Street for a reported structure fire".

On the subject of consolidating/regionalizing, has the PACE study on the consolidation of departments in Westchester been completed? If so, does any one know what it found?

The chiefs asked for additional financial data, so it was delayed. should be out shortly.

It sounds like the departments involved here are thinking about this situation. Kudo's to them for being pro-active and not waiting to be forced in to something by someone else.

On another note, this doesn't only apply to fires. There are also MVA's. I know of one that was just down the road from Millwood Station 2, but in Yorktown's district. At that time, there was a Millwood Chief on the scene, but the Rescue was from Yorktown and they had to wait for that to arrive before they could extricate the patient. I believe they actually used air bags, which maybe Millwood doesn't have - although they may have had Rams, or something else that could have been used.

Maybe this will be a step to improve and standardize further the use of inter-agency resources!

We still still don't have a real 911 call receiving center because local PD's won't give up their control and people think that a Westchester County FD is feasible? Short of a major disaster that gets the state to take action no one is giving up control of their fiefdom. Yay Home rule.

Exactly NY10570. We are here to serve our communities not our own egos. Maybe this is something that people should be thinking about with election season coming up. Vote for officers and commissioners who can effectively lead, and are genuinely looking out for the best interest of the Department and more importantly the community. Not just because they are the popular vote.

Edited by JM15

On another note, this doesn't only apply to fires. There are also MVA's. I know of one that was just down the road from Millwood Station 2, but in Yorktown's district. At that time, there was a Millwood Chief on the scene, but the Rescue was from Yorktown and they had to wait for that to arrive before they could extricate the patient. I believe they actually used air bags, which maybe Millwood doesn't have - although they may have had Rams, or something else that could have been used.

Maybe this will be a step to improve and standardize further the use of inter-agency resources!

Millwood Has two trucks with the airbag systems including E-248 which is located on Rt 134. The other truck is Rescue 36 which has the airbarg system plus all other rescue equipment to qualify it as a heavy rescue (I beleieve). Millwood currently is opperating three tools: E-247 has a combi-tool with lucus spreaders, E-248 has a full set of hurst tools pluss an airbag system and R-36 has a new set of hurst tools plus the airbag system and the strut system.

MVA's are absolutely another issue. There was an accident I remember which was right down the street from Millwood ST 2 which came through as a MVA rollover possible ejection. There are many more that I have seen and quite a few there have been Millwood chiefs on location.

Either way I know Millwood and Yorktown are both great departments and I also know that everyone understands we are all here for the same goal. So hopefully they can reach that goal and develop some sort of dual response.

I think it's time boys and girls for many of these municipalities to seriously consider hiring full time ffs. even if it's Career Chauffers to start. You can't tell me these Towns/Villages don't have the $$$$ to pay for a Career Dept. with the exorbitant amount of $$$$ their taxpayers are paying. Where's the money going? Just think how quickly the response time would be, not only if the closest station was dispatched but had their apparatus manned 24/7/365. I'm sure you'd see a big difference, especially in those areas that have an inadequate water supply and rely on Tankers.

This is all great a written automatic aid plan is a good idea and works in certain areas, but lets look at the facts and give the compliments where they are deserved.

this fire here was dispatched at 1752hrs reports stated the fire was burning at 1715. the building was gone.

Engine 273 was out the door in 30 sec of dispatch, not bad for a volunteer department, they arrived as the 1st due apparatus, Car 2532 requested millwood 1 eng n tanker about 1 min after dispatch. and then a full 10-75 prior to his arrival so why don't we look at the facts rather then the what ifs...

This is all great a written automatic aid plan is a good idea and works in certain areas, but lets look at the facts and give the compliments where they are deserved.

this fire here was dispatched at 1752hrs reports stated the fire was burning at 1715. the building was gone.

Engine 273 was out the door in 30 sec of dispatch, not bad for a volunteer department, they arrived as the 1st due apparatus, Car 2532 requested millwood 1 eng n tanker about 1 min after dispatch. and then a full 10-75 prior to his arrival so why don't we look at the facts rather then the what ifs...

Well, because this is one scenario. In order to become a better firefighter, you train. You come up with “what ifs” because “what ifs” could happen. Yes, 273 were out the door in 30 seconds, but another day it could take them 3 minutes. If Ytown/Millwood responds together, it could take either dept a longer time than usual to respond. Lets say a call comes in as an automatic and turns into a structure- which does happen. Is Yorktown going to travel 7 miles and then realize that it actually is a fire and then dispatch additional units? This last fire was different because it came in as “my neighbors house is on fire.” Of course the chief is going to make the decision to dispatch mutual aid. As FEX stated, there was a rollover with ejection less than .5 mile from Millwood St. 2. It takes a very long time for Ytown to get near Millwood St2 even if they respond in 30 seconds. So HFD, we do look at the facts, but we also need to come up with “what ifs” because thats how we become better firefighters. I dont know about other departments, but I know Millwood preplans and creates hypothetical situations so they perform at their best while in the public eye and not make mistakes when they can be avoided.

Edited by MRK303

Granted.. But the way this convo runs off as with many on this site take on negative tones, let’s give the compliments when do..

also the “what if to train” great, so if you are a member of Millwood talk to your chief or officers or commissioners and try to make something happen approach your neighboring department and their command staff. The idea with the fire service is to learn from each other and its good to talk about things as is being done here but become a leader, try to make change; topics on here get beat to death.

I know that area very well, and the reason I bring it up is rather then all of us go on and on... on this website, go try to start the change don’t just be on here with people from all over who don’t know what went on or what goes on and give the impression stuff when wrong.

All you guys need here is homeowners to read this site and get the idea there was wrong doing or more could have been done to save his house and we are all going to have bigger problems.

The biggest problem is every one wants to speak up and a lot of times you get the opinion that it appears like Monday morning QBing (not saying you are or are not).. but why cant any one bring up these issues before a fire happens learn from before if happens not after. also were all good at venting here like I said go back and attempt to effect change.

I understand where you are coming from and at no means was this topic brought up to be a Monday morning QB. I believe this issue was brought up between the two departments. Myself along with many other members have been putting pressure on our chiefs but I do recall that the two departments did sit down within the last 3 years to discuss this issue and it was shot down very quickly. What was the reason; I am not 100% certain. The reason I bring this topic to Bravo is not to criticize departments for protocols but to put pressure on those that go to this site. As stated earlier, I believe Millwood and Yorktown has sat down to discuss this issue, and for whatever reason it was shot down. So, I guess that approach did not work so well. I would be more than happy to set up talks again between Millwood and Yorktown to discuss this issue. Please PM me if you are from either Yorktown or Millwood and would like to sit back down at the table. I will do whatever it takes in order to better protect my friends in neighbors.

Edited by MRK303

I think it's time boys and girls for many of these municipalities to seriously consider hiring full time ffs. even if it's Career Chauffers to start. You can't tell me these Towns/Villages don't have the $$$$ to pay for a Career Dept. with the exorbitant amount of $$$$ their taxpayers are paying. Where's the money going? Just think how quickly the response time would be, not only if the closest station was dispatched but had their apparatus manned 24/7/365. I'm sure you'd see a big difference, especially in those areas that have an inadequate water supply and rely on Tankers.

Just because they may have the money is no justification of wasteing it. The municipalities around here, especially the ones in this topic, by no means need carreer FF's. The departements both have great response times with a solid crew responding on the truck.

There is no question that the response times would be "better" but only for him/her to get the truck there and admire the fire while the ff's randomly show up. I completely understand that in some departments this works and works great but that if the case with busier and bigger departments.

As it stands now the departments respond to the firehouse and then proceed to the location with a prepared crew ready to go to work immediately. This makes an officers job much easier because you know how many people you have and they all have an assignment.

Fex- You just took the words right out of my fingers, Having a driver get the rig there without firefighters is not the answer paid or vollie, unless of course that driver was to empty the booster tank via the deluge gun.

Granted.. But the way this convo runs off as with many on this site take on negative tones, let’s give the compliments when do..

also the “what if to train” great, so if you are a member of Millwood talk to your chief or officers or commissioners and try to make something happen approach your neighboring department and their command staff. The idea with the fire service is to learn from each other and its good to talk about things as is being done here but become a leader, try to make change; topics on here get beat to death.

I know that area very well, and the reason I bring it up is rather then all of us go on and on... on this website, go try to start the change don’t just be on here with people from all over who don’t know what went on or what goes on and give the impression stuff when wrong.

All you guys need here is homeowners to read this site and get the idea there was wrong doing or more could have been done to save his house and we are all going to have bigger problems.

The biggest problem is every one wants to speak up and a lot of times you get the opinion that it appears like Monday morning QBing (not saying you are or are not).. but why cant any one bring up these issues before a fire happens learn from before if happens not after. also were all good at venting here like I said go back and attempt to effect change.

I think that is a matter of interpretation. My interpretation is that, using this particular fire as an example, people are discussing the benefits of automatic mutual aid and standard responses that cross district lines to enhance the response. That is in no way negative or monday morning quarterbacking. There are plenty of threads on this site that compliment responders but if all we do is pat each other on the back without discussing how to we can do things better next time will we ever improve?

This site is so mild compared to some of the rant-a-thons and bash-fests that go on in other forums, I really don't understand the criticism.

As for effecting change, it isn't a bad thing for homeowners to read our discussions and learn what the issues are and how the powers to be are trying to solve them. At least it makes them an educated consumer! I also think that many of us are trying to effect change by discussing problems and ideas that will correct them. With 8000 members including current and future officers, there are many creative ideas being discussed. Some of them may have value and may be adopted by people for use in their own departments. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Incidents generally stimulate discussion. This spawns a great many debates, discussions, and learning opportunities. To always consider that criticism is to always see the glass as half empty.

Another $.02 :rolleyes:

What the heak does district boundry issues have to do with career vs volunteer?!!? Stop trying to turn it into one of these fights!

if you look at the response times, they actually were not that bad.

AND -- Just to throw it out there -- If you had career FFs in Millwood *AND* Yorktown, there would STILL be no difference because of the time it took for yorktown to get from their station to the fire... your point is totally skewed.

Fex- You just took the words right out of my fingers, Having a driver get the rig there without firefighters is not the answer paid or vollie, unless of course that driver was to empty the booster tank via the deluge gun.

Well from what everyone is saying about this Job, emptying the booster tank might have been a viable option. Sometimes certain Jobs call for a Blitz Attack with a Deck gun. I've seen it used with great success, even in Career Depts. where the avg. response time is only 2-3 minutes and sometimes with only one member. I've seen alot of taxpayers $$$ wasted over the yrs. and hiring career guys isn't wasteful spending in my eyes. Not to mention you'd have quicker response times for all other incidents such as mvas with entrapments. Just out of curiosity, how many members are required to show up before a rig leaves quarters for an alarm and what is your average response time at say 3:00am?

I have used the deck gun at a structure fire, as the first line of attack, and dumped 3000 gallons of water through the second floor window in two minutes, it sure blackened allot down.... but, once that is done, hand lines need to push in and " mop up "

As far as the response during the overnight calls in Croton, our engine will not respond to a real type of job unless we have a minimum of 4, most times it 5 to 6.... and the response time is really low.... not having exact times, but 2 to 3 minutes...

One thing many guys from Croton have done, is that when Yorktown or Millwood get dispatched to any possible jobs in the tanker district, a few our us head down to the fire house or keep our ears open, and once comfirmed, we are out the door within a minute...

One thing many guys from Croton have done, is that when Yorktown or Millwood get dispatched to any possible jobs in the tanker district, a few our us head down to the fire house or keep our ears open, and once comfirmed, we are out the door within a minute...

I remember when you guys would call me and tell me something was going on. No love anymore....bastards. :angry:

The same thing usually goes all over Westchester. Department A goes out on a possible fire, the brothers in the neighboring departments are usually listening and making their way to their own firehouses to be there when requested.

FirNaTine...

That 3:00 AM thing can go for some paid firehouses too, so let's not throw stones at glass houses. We all know how hard it is to drag out of bed in the middle of a good sleep. The reality of it is in the dispatch. Hear a non-life-threatening call you're more likely to not break your neck running out of bed, but if that dispatch is for a "good call" people move faster.

The topic here is the issue of district boundaries, let's keep it at that.

For the record FirNaTine, I am not biased towards either side, as a matter of fact I believe there are some departments around Westchester that should of been paying people almost 10 years ago.

Edited by Remember585

remember, you cannot compare the response of paid ff's who may be in the middle of a Rip VanWinkle like sleep to that of volunteers at 3am on a weekday. Even the most committed volleys are just as prone to being a little slow on the draw coming out of some much needed sleep. Paid ff's have to show up. If it doesn't come across as a good job then there are plenty of guys who for whatever reason are not going to show. Don't you guys have a minimum staffing for response policy? Just about every volley dept does because at times getting guys out is a problem. Its the simple truth.

Edited by ny10570