Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers Mayor Announces Layoffs and Budget Cuts

46 posts in this topic

720 sounds really high. They would of had press conferences on boosting our ranks to that level. The highest I remember was about 640 strength uniformed officers about 10 years ago. I am assuming the 720 is including civil defense, auxillaries, school crossing guards, civilian staff, and who ever else is hidden in our budget.

I just checked the budget- 720 total w/ 641 Uniformed and I guess the rest civilian. Of course unfortunately those numbers will go down soon unless we can all pull a rabbit out of the hat...stay safe.

Dennis was talking about the schools. Not only is the plan to cut the SRO positions but also the Brd of Ed funded school safety officers. This leaves the Yonkers School District with 0 public safety services...btw there are gangs in Yonkers and due to a previous discrimination lawsuit, kids are bussed all over the city! So, I guess violence in the schools will become a problem...well not guess!

All of you current civil service type people, I was always under the belief that they may be able to demote you but they could not cut your salary, is this correct. And cutting the SAFETY Battalion, you have to be kidding me, I guess this is another one of those cases where it may look good on paper but it isn't the brightest thing in the world. This is a bad situation considering YOnkers has very strong unions and they are the largest career dept. in the county it doesn't bode well for the other career jobs, I wish all the brothers getting laid off nothing but the best and hopefully if it happens it won't last long and you get you jobs back. I sincerely hope this is just the mayor using scare tactics to the residents of Yonkers and does not become a reality.

All of you current civil service type people, I was always under the belief that they may be able to demote you but they could not cut your salary, is this correct.

I know up here they can functionally cut pay be eliminating the higher paid positions thereby forcing you down to a lower rank through the layoff list. Per our Union contract start date seniority rules the day vs. time in grade when it comes to lay offs. They cut the upper rank positions, then layoff the number of firefighters that accounts for those positions making room for people to bump back. For ex: they want to take 5 Capts out, so they layoff 5 of the newest firefighters and eliminate the captains positions forcing them to take Lt's places, forcing 5 Lt.s to take firefighter positions.

It could be different in Yonkers. Sad days ahead for all of us, good luck to th Brothers in Yonkers.

Date: 12-15-08

Time: 1440hrs

Units Operating: YPD 4th PCT, ESU; Empress

Description Of Incident: Large fight in Gorton High School at dismissal spilled out to the street where (1) student was stabbed on Palisade Ave.

Writer: Truck4

NEED I SAY ANYMORE.

With the holidays and cold weather coming a fatal fire is not too far fetched either.

Stay safe everyone work smarter not harder.. :)

Edited by TOYBUFF911

So we're going to cut the unit that prevents fires from happening or being worse than they could be, then we're cutting the guys who are gonna have to put out the fires, which are now worse due to a lack of code enforcement. Outstanding...

This very well could be the start of a ugly situation, other cities and townes will look at this model and try and follow it. You might see Mt. Vernon going with only 4 Engines, why not?? We use M/A like its ours so we'll let Eastchester, New Rochelle, White Plains, Pelham, Pelham Manor, did I miss anybody?? All unions need to pay close attention and be ready to respond. Oh yea, Greenville, Fairview, the international and State have droped the ball and we will pay a price for it. Wonder who's next????

Merry Christmas???????????????????????????????????

:blink:

Keep the faith! I hope and pray this will not go through, it will effect all in the emergency services throughout the USA!

This very well could be the start of a ugly situation, other cities and townes will look at this model and try and follow it. You might see Mt. Vernon going with only 4 Engines, why not?? We use M/A like its ours so we'll let Eastchester, New Rochelle, White Plains, Pelham, Pelham Manor, did I miss anybody?? All unions need to pay close attention and be ready to respond. Oh yea, Greenville, Fairview, the international and State have droped the ball and we will pay a price for it. Wonder who's next????

Merry Christmas???????????????????????????????????

:blink:

You are correct ,all need pay attention,as we all know there are MAJOR problems with the fiscal state of this country,but there are those that will ,for political reasons or otherwise use this country's problems as an excuse to break up Labor as we know it.FD's and PD's,stick together and stay strong! Be safe

i say the politicians should take a f**king budget cut and see how they like it, cutting fire and police is a rediculous thought! how bout the 20 people that work in a dmv and you still sit there for hours. Obama promised CHANGE, were sure as hell getting it!

and i heard (unknown if 100% true) that the FDNY class that was postponed until July, is now canceled. what a joke

I believe your correct, I also read about the FDNY class being put on hold. And, seeing as Obama is not actually the President yet, I'm not too sure how you can blame him on this one?

I believe your correct, I also read about the FDNY class being put on hold. And, seeing as Obama is not actually the President yet, I'm not too sure how you can blame him on this one?

he is more of the president now then bush, and hes the one that gets dealt this flaming bag of sh**

According to the Yonkers website there are 686 police and 443 FD employees out of 1917 total employees. While they are the two biggest agencies, I can't see how no one in City hall has been cut. Every so often the Jorurnal News will print how some connected crony got hired from a Board of Ed Trustee position to become the Special Assistant to the Liason of the Mayor for Constituent services making 100K+ a year. Not to mention the foomer Council person who had to give up her "appointed" job because she couldn't pass a civil service exam. Would it be helpful for the Unions to point out these hypocrocies? Yonkers, the city of hills...........

....where nothing is on the level!

Always liked that one ;)

According to an article in this morning's Journal News (See Below) it is being reported that a Ladder Company at the city's Fortfield Avenue Fire Station will be the Fire Company ellminiated within Mayor Amicone's budget cuts. That leaves only 1 active Tower Ladder truck (TL 71) and probably the most busest ladder company in the city, to cover the entire city (unless the TL is moved to either Station 13 or 14 to take over Ladder Company duties as either 73 or 70). Also, with 75 being elliminated, this leaves the east side with only 2 active ladder trucks (70 in the very north end of the East Side & 73 in the very south end of the East Side). This has to have a significant effect on ladder company response times. Makes you scratch your head and wonder what the Mayor is thinking? (How about cutting 1/2 of the city paid personal cars in the city and require those city employees to use their own personal vechicle to get back n' forth to work, to save money to keep essential city services - Hey Mayor Amicone - How about giving up your own city car as a gesture to the citizens of the city, to set an example of good, sound financial management)

http://www.lohud.com/article/20081219/NEWS02/812190360