Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Yonkers Mayor Announces Layoffs and Budget Cuts

46 posts in this topic

According to this morning's Journal News, Yonkers Mayor Phillip Amicone is planning to annouce at his 12 Noon press conference that the city will be elliminating 1 Fire Company within the City of Yonkers, laying off Firefighters and demoting Lt.'s to the rank of Firefighter.

http://www.lohud.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article...2#pluckcomments

Stay tuned for further deveopments

Cutting the fire prevention bureau? Thats unfortunate, as FP bureaus are usually the most understaffed units in an FD anyway, given the amount of workload they have. Sad day for the brothers in Yonkers, but I guess its a sign of the times. Good luck to everyone down there.

Watching the news conference.

19 Lts to be demoted to Firefighter.

20 FF and 2 officers current vacancies will not be filled but will be back filled by the above demotions.

6 uniformed and 1 adm civilian to be laid off.

ALL FIREHOUSE ARE GOING TO REMAIN OPEN BUT THEY ARE REDUCING THE DEPT BY 1 Company

Edited by steve shryock

Really sad for the city to have to come to this. Does anyone within the YFD know what Company will be elliminated?

Do the demotions and lay-off's go by seniority? Will those guys be the first to get re-hired and promoted again? Its unfortunate sorry to the guys in Yonkers.

Isn't there some section of the city charter, or a contract agreement that would keep those Lt's from being demoted??

I hope a rabbit could be pulled out of a hat to save the jobs but like I stated before this is only the beginning unfortunately.

Rumor is the Safety Batt is being closed..

I hope the Brothers from Yonkers pull through this one...I hear it will be effecting some EMTBravo members.

Makes for a nice holiday....

FTM - PTB - KTF!

Not just the FD is feeling the pinch. Word is that 11 PO's going to be laid off as well!

Mike - would ESU be considered "other special units"?

Nothing about ESU at this point, but ESU has already been back-filling or deploying into patrol for years. I was told that one K-9 officer will be cut January 1st.

And with the dreary forecast for the State budget, it is unlikely that aid is going to improve, or even remain the same next year so this may unfortunately expand to include many more municipalities. :(

this may unfortunately expand to include many more municipalities. :(

NO doubt about that....we are in for some rough times... :(

An unfortunate sign of the times Brothers, I just heard that all FDNY promotions are on hold indefinately, Probie class slated to start Jan 4 is on hold for an unspecific amount of time, and there is a rumor that the class of probies about to graguate may be laid off upon graduation. To the brothers in Yonkers, hang in and stay safe.

Wow. This is shocking news to me. And this is also absolutely ridiculous.

I remember, a few years back, New Rochelle FD was going to close E-24 and lay off firefighters. I vaguely remember, at the last minute, they were rescued by a grant, politician, or something? Does anyone have details on that, and if a similar rescue could be done for Yonkers FD?

And, besides the jobs that are being lost and the demotions, they are basically cutting staff in arson, codes enforcement, safety, and permits, which would increase The Safety battalion is being cut, IN ADDITION to a fire company......I would think it would be a company that has a truck and engine, maybe like Ladder 74, Engine 314, or Ladder 70?

The only option I see is for guys who are ready to retire to retire or offer them some sort of buyout, and if their are 6 of them, then 6 of the newest guys get to keep their jobs.

This just plain sucks.

I remember, a few years back, New Rochelle FD was going to close E-24 and lay off firefighters. I vaguely remember, at the last minute, they were rescued by a grant, politician, or something? Does anyone have details on that, and if a similar rescue could be done for Yonkers FD?

Assembly Speaker Silver showed up with one of those giant checks $1,000,000

I do not think its likely to happen again (since the state has no $$$).

Wow. This is shocking news to me. And this is also absolutely ridiculous.

And, besides the jobs that are being lost and the demotions, they are basically cutting staff in arson, codes enforcement, safety, and permits, which would increase The Safety battalion is being cut, IN ADDITION to a fire company......I would think it would be a company that has a truck and engine, maybe like Ladder 74, Engine 314, or Ladder 70?

The only option I see is for guys who are ready to retire to retire or offer them some sort of buyout, and if their are 6 of them, then 6 of the newest guys get to keep their jobs.

This just plain sucks.

According to some old dinosaurs under circumstances like this unions would pass the hat and everyone would kick in - especially those threatened by layoffs - to create an incentive package for potential retirees. A few thousand dollars and whatever incentives the municipality might come up with might make it a sweet enough deal for people to take their retirement.

Unfortunately I don't see the municipalities kicking in anything as a retirement incentive no matter how smart it may be in the long run. And as Barry said, the state is worse off than the locals are this time around.

This does just plain suck!

According to some old dinosaurs under circumstances like this unions would pass the hat and everyone would kick in - especially those threatened by layoffs - to create an incentive package for potential retirees. A few thousand dollars and whatever incentives the municipality might come up with might make it a sweet enough deal for people to take their retirement.

This seems logical. If the city's pain is as serious as they claim, and I have no inside knowledge that it is or isn't, I could imagine the YFD union coming to an agreement with the city that, for lack of a better term, spreads the pain among its hundreds of members, if it means saving those who would otherwise have been laid off.

This will impact police services and public safety. In a world where there is school shootings, and an ever increasing difficulty in policing and in Yonkers no less, how they can cut the school cops is crazy, but then again the board of ED should be footing that bill. Certainly rough times. YPD is understaffed to begin with force should be 900. So the overtime reflects hard work of 600 members.

My question would be with the fire department cuts, why 19 Lt's only with no other cuts to any other superior officers? That seems very unfair. Who replaces the 19 Lt's? Cuts typically start from the top down and shared on every level especially with demotions.

Good luck to everyone and stay strong in these tough times.

Edited by TOYBUFF911

This will impact police services and public safety. In a world where there is school shootings, and an ever increasing difficulty in policing and in Yonkers no less, how they can cut the school cops is crazy, but then again the board of ED should be footing that bill.

Since the Yonkers Schools are funded directly from city government (unlike most of NYS with a seperate school district) what difference does it make if the mayor funds the school cops or the mayor funds the school who fund the school cops. The money comes from the same pot.

Loss of these positions is going to cause lots of problems.

Since the Yonkers Schools are funded directly from city government (unlike most of NYS with a seperate school district) what difference does it make if the mayor funds the school cops or the mayor funds the school who fund the school cops. The money comes from the same pot.

Loss of these positions is going to cause lots of problems.

Funding should be increased actually at the State level or through a grant with the school officers. Problem there is that grants are temporary and funding always changes.

This will impact police services and public safety. In a world where there is school shootings, and an ever increasing difficulty in policing and in Yonkers no less, how they can cut the school cops is crazy, but then again the board of ED should be footing that bill. Certainly rough times. YPD is understaffed to begin with force should be 900. So the overtime reflects hard work of 600 members.

My question would be with the fire department cuts, why 19 Lt's only with no other cuts to any other superior officers? That seems very unfair. Who replaces the 19 Lt's? Cuts typically start from the top down and shared on every level especially with demotions.

Good luck to everyone and stay strong in these tough times.

Dennis, do you only have 600 members? It says 720 in the Fiscal Year 08-09 budget. In any event, this whole thing sucks and I echo your sentiments of good luck to all and stay safe in these tough times.

The other 600 he refers to, are probably just cops on the street. The rest might be in house staff

Bail out the Wall Street geniuses. Pay a pitcher $82 million to play a game, that the majority of the fans can't afford to see play live. Something is definately wrong. The whole system needs to change.

Edited by huzzie59

For those too young to remember the budget disaster that was NYC in the 1970's do a little research and begin to imagine what conditions could approach. The only catch is it will expand to more then just NYC.

720 sounds really high. They would of had press conferences on boosting our ranks to that level. The highest I remember was about 640 strength uniformed officers about 10 years ago. I am assuming the 720 is including civil defense, auxillaries, school crossing guards, civilian staff, and who ever else is hidden in our budget.