Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
61MACKBR1

Details White Plains Fire 20 N B'way 12/12/08

31 posts in this topic

Just heard that New Rochelle Engine 22, 25 and Ladder 11 have been dispatched to White Plains on Mutual Aid, along with Scarsdale's Tower Ladder and a Greenville Engine Company. Is there a major fire going on in White Plains this afternoon?

Details being added here.

Seems like Fire 19 on the truck radio.

Scarsdale Ladder, Fairview Engine station 6. New Rochelle with 2 engines and a ladder as mentioned.

County Car 2 just called switching to Channel 19.

Relocated Units:

Engine 151 (Greenville)

Engine 25 (New Rochelle)

Engine 174 (Fairview)

Tower Ladder 29 (Scarsdale)

Tower Ladder 11 (New Rochelle)

Tower Ladder 17 (Eastchester) Stand by for Scarsdale in their own quarters

You can monitor the fire at www.scan60.com

Chris

Just heard that New Rochelle Engine 22, 25 and Ladder 11 have been dispatched to White Plains on Mutual Aide, along with Scarsdale's Tower Ladder and a Greenville Engine Company. Is there a major fire going on in White Plains this afternoon?

NRFD sent E-25, L11 & 2306. E-22 was not sent.

Edited by Bnechis

just wondering why north white plains wouldnt be called being they are about a mile down the road?

just wondering why north white plains wouldnt be called being they are about a mile down the road?

Can they guarantee a response with a minimum of _____, including an officer and all having the level of training that the state requires WPFD to meet?

Note: I'm not saying anything bad about NWPFD (or any other agency, as it is possible that they do meet the above) but until NYS has 1 standard, closest does not mean equal.

Just speculating.

NRFD sent E-22, L11 & 2306. E-22 was not sent.

:huh:

HUH

Mean E-25

Someone must be a little tired from going to White Plains lol

HUH

Mean E-25

He must of done his holiday shopping while he was in White Plains. Spending money gets him all confused!!!!!

Im sure No white plains would not just meet the requirements of manpower but bring extra. Even though im not a member there im pretty sure they would bring enough to get the task complete that needed to be completed. Plus I think they would be thier alot faster than NEW ROCHELLE who is atleast 20-mins away. Also Elmsford and Valhalla or closer than 2 of the departments that were there. Now I dont know maybe White plains has a good relationship with all the mutual aid departments that were sent and work well together but does a 20 min response time make sense?

I would hope all firefighters riding on a rig would have the required training that meets the state of NY standards. Excluding extieror members which some volunteer departments have. I know in my department we never go mutual aid with extieror menbers and we always get out with more then we would even need. Not trying to argue just cant understand why they werent called? Who was the FAST!

HUH

Mean E-25

opps....just a typo

He must of done his holiday shopping while he was in White Plains. Spending money gets him all confused!!!!!

Spending money was never an issue. But I dont think someone who bought his condo with everyone couch change should be commenting on purchasing.

Im sure No white plains would not just meet the requirements of manpower but bring extra. Even though im not a member there im pretty sure they would bring enough to get the task complete that needed to be completed. Plus I think they would be thier alot faster than NEW ROCHELLE who is atleast 20-mins away. Also Elmsford and Valhalla or closer than 2 of the departments that were there. Now I dont know maybe White plains has a good relationship with all the mutual aid departments that were sent and work well together but does a 20 min response time make sense?

You missed my point on manpower, it was not how many, it was how consistant. can the send the same #'s at 1pm on a friday as they can on an evening or weekend?

I would hope all firefighters riding on a rig would have the required training that meets the state of NY standards. Excluding extieror members which some volunteer departments have. I know in my department we never go mutual aid with extieror menbers and we always get out with more then we would even need. Not trying to argue just cant understand why they werent called? Who was the FAST!

NYS has 2 different standards, 1 for volunteers and another for career. And if you use OFPC's training records CD and look up what some departments records are, you'd be shocked to see that the majority of members in VFD's in westchester do not meet the minimum standards required by NYS Law (this does not mean they dont have it, it means they can't document that they have it).

WPFD provided their own FAST and you could see them standing by on News 12

Didn't we just discuss this closet not always called

Didn't we just discuss this closet not always called

Here we go again

post-64-1229183206.jpg

so, what was the final cause of this fire ??? have they come up with anything ? I read somewhere work was being done on the roof, what type of work ?

According to News 12 witness heard popping noises followed by a small explosion and then with in a few minutes they saw smoke and fire from coming out of the windows.

Haha i feel like an a**. I was in WP yesterday with my buddy and i couldnt figure out what the hell was going on, now i know. It took me over an hour to get into WP because of the traffic on I-287 and all the gridlock in WP. I was actually at the corner of Main & B'Way (i think thats the intersection) and saw all the apparatus (FD, PD, Con-Ed) and didnt think much of it. Lots of PD units for traffic diversion, thats for sure!

As far as the mutual-aid and who was called and who didnt get called goes, we're beating a dead horse fella's.

Jay, while i hear where you're coming from, Barry has some excellent points. Could NWPFD or any other vol. company get a rig on the road with a full crew that has the proper training in an adequat response time? Maybe they could, maybe not. But when you have a working fire, thats not the time to be wondering if your incoming m/a is up to par ya know?

Departments all over the place call in certain mutual-aid for one reason or the other. This fire was no different. WPFD called in who they did because they knew what they were getting and knew they'd get them in a reasonable ammount of time. Career depts. usually call in other career depts. on mutual-aid for good reasoning and who could blame them?

Anyway, looks like WPFD and their M/A did a fine job, so kudos.

dose any one know the scanner Frequency for the white plains fire dept :lol:

guy i work with said the workers were torching the tar on the roof and it had caught fire they called the FD and that was it

I saw the footage on snooze12 last night and it appeared to be a very good stop. Based on the footage there, shot from a roof of adjacent building, the WPFD did an awesome job. This appears it could have been gotten a lot worse very quickly.

He brought up great points yes he did. Hes 100% right.

He brought up great points yes he did. Hes 100% right.

Thanks. I was not trying to start a fight. Too many people want to pretend that every fire dept is equal, when departments cover the entire range (and that goes way beyond the career, volunteer or combo status).

thanks for the Frequency code :)