Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x635

Would You Ever See Your Chief Driving This?

18 posts in this topic

Would you ever see the truck below (2008 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab) as a Chiefs vehicle or Utility?

The truck is built right here in Texas, an hour south of me in San Antonio, TX. It employs thousands of area residents. It utilizes numerous aspects of the local and national economy, such as the railroad used to ship these trucks.

The truck has an excellent safety rating, spacious interior, great reviews and reliability ratings. It has a whole host of features that would suit an FD nicely. A diesel version will be available soon.

Toyota isn't asking for a goverment handout, something we as taxpayers ultimately have to pay for.

So, why don't we see more chiefs driving these "foreign" pickups???

post-11-1230743944.jpg

Would you ever see the truck below (2008 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab) as a Chiefs vehicle or Utility?...So, why don't we see more chiefs driving these "foreign" pickups???

They are not on State Contract.

Sure why not, but it would of course have to be BLUE! :mellow:

Truck is sweet, id love to see us or other in the service rock it. prolly look nice all decked out

Nice rig.....but I guess the hillbilly in me wants to lift it and shove some 35's under it first......

I'll try to get a picture of it, but Maybrook Car 1, in Orange County runs an almost identical truck to this. It was donated by Johnson Toyota of New Hampton.

They are not on State Contract.

BUT, it could be. Just curious, does it have to be on a state contract for a department to buy it??

Also, NYC uses the Toyota Prius.

BUT, it could be. Just curious, does it have to be on a state contract for a department to buy it?? Also, NYC uses the Toyota Prius.

No but its a lot more work to get it.

Procedure for purchasing a vehicle on state contract:

1) Go to NYS Web site, find the basic vehicle (i.e. Ford, F-350, 4x4, 2 or 4 door & long or short bed) determine which dealer is closest

2) Call the dealer. They will fax an accessory / options list to you. Fill it out and return it. They will fedex a final "proposal"

3) Finance dept. takes "proposal" and issues a purchase order, which is sent to the dealer.

4) Dealer delivers vehicle to your location.

I purchased both a Ford F-350 & a Chevy passanger van this year and spent only a few hours total to get it done.

Procedure for purchasing a vehicle NOT on state contract:

Develop a specification, prepare for a public bid. Place a notice in the newspaper at least 10 days prior to the bid date. Also place info on any municipal web site & notify list serves for potential bidders. Hold a formal bid opening, evaluate the bid, award bid. Issue a PO which is sent to the dealer.

Technically if you dont get a minimum of 3 bids you need to start over unless you can provide proper documentations as to why you could not. The documentation will be reviewed by the NYS Comptrolers Auditors.

& what happens if you get bids you do not want?

Edited by Bnechis

Hey Seth.. Not quite the same thing, but Misquamicut (Westerly) does run a Tacoma as a Utility vehicle.

http://firenews.org/ri/MisquamicutRIU204.jpg

Thought you should see it.

Certainly an interesting thought though, especially with the lack of Diesel SUV's on the road, tightening budgets, etc.

-Joe DA BUFF

Would you ever see the truck below (2008 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab) as a Chiefs vehicle or Utility?

The truck is built right here in Texas, an hour south of me in San Antonio, TX. It employs thousands of area residents. It utilizes numerous aspects of the local and national economy, such as the railroad used to ship these trucks.

The truck has an excellent safety rating, spacious interior, great reviews and reliability ratings. It has a whole host of features that would suit an FD nicely. A diesel version will be available soon.

Toyota isn't asking for a goverment handout, something we as taxpayers ultimately have to pay for.

So, why don't we see more chiefs driving these "foreign" pickups???

Well, to be perfectly honest with you, I'd be upset if my fire department bought a foreign truck. I understand that the truck is assembled in Texas and it provides the livelihood to several American workers. However, the real wealth, ie. the profit, behind the vehicle ends up back in Japan. We need to support the American worker and American business, not send our wealth overseas.

PLENTY of Americans invest in Toyota through stock and therefore are part owners and reap these profits, no?

Arn't there certain lights out there that can only be installed on certain types of vehicles. For example I know of a few lights and service items that only fit Crown Vics or Tahoes.

We need to support the American worker and American business, not send our wealth overseas.

Just because you buy American (US) doesn't mean it's being made in the United States. More and more of the big three's production is coming from Canada or Mexico.

Nice looking truck. Maybe it should be another thread and not here but how many depts buy Pick ups for chief vehciles

and how many do the expedition or tahoe type vehicle?????? At least its a red!!

For those of you who own the newest generation of American LaFrance fire apparatus, surely you know the company was at one time owned by Daimler-Chrysler, which was out of Germany. So, technically, those trucks were "foreign".

Just because you buy American (US) doesn't mean it's being made in the United States. More and more of the big three's production is coming from Canada or Mexico.

What is wrong with our Canadian built vehicles??