Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pasobuff

Watch what you say to the news!

28 posts in this topic

Not to pick on anyone - but watch what you say when talking to the news! How many items can you find in this article?

Peekskill firefighters soaked while dousing fire at laundry

By Terence Corcoran

The Journal News • January 8, 2009

PEEKSKILL - Talk about a welcome.

City firefighters, responding to a dryer fire that filled a coin-operated laundromat with smoke yesterday morning, had just entered the Welcher Avenue building and were working on the blaze when the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, Fire Chief John Pappas said.

"The sprinklers went off right after we made entry," Pappas said. "Our guys got soaked. It would have been a lot better if they didn't go off."

Sprinklers inside the Peekskill Wash 'N' Dry at 26 Welcher Ave. caused minor water damage to a karate studio and a pizza parlor on each side of the business in the form of wet floors, Pappas said.

Around 10 a.m., firefighters were called to the laundromat in a plaza anchored by an A&P supermarket. Pappas said an investigation showed that a dryer filled with rags overheated, igniting the machine.

The fire was doused quickly - along with the firefighters when two sprinkler heads went off.

No one was injured.

The Firefighter Assist Search Team from the Lake Mohegan Fire Department was summoned, but turned back after the fire was extinguished. FAST is a specially trained group of firefighters who show up at confirmed structure fires to assist firefighting crews in case they encounter trouble.

An inspector from the Westchester County Health Department allowed the pizzeria to remain open.

Im not sure I see the problem here. The Chief of the Dept was speaking to the news, and as Chief, is authorized. I didnt see a problem with this article.

other than this

It would have been a lot better if they didn't go off."

I dont see a problem with anything else. the wet floor thing is a stretch.

I guess under a skewed interpretation it could be assumed that he was advocating against the use of sprinklers. Which i'm sure isn't the case. I believe that was what your point was pasobuff, correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking of sprinklers does anyone know where I can find a report about the effectiveness of sprinklers in commercial properties. Specifically schools?

"City firefighters, responding to a dryer fire that filled a coin-operated laundromat with smoke yesterday morning, had just entered the Welcher Avenue building and were working on the blaze when the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, Fire Chief John Pappas said."

Outside of Hollywood how many sprinkler systems are operated by smoke detectors?

What is the likelyhood that this laundromat actually had one of these special system?

"City firefighters, responding to a dryer fire that filled a coin-operated laundromat with smoke yesterday morning, had just entered the Welcher Avenue building and were working on the blaze when the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, Fire Chief John Pappas said."

Outside of Hollywood how many sprinkler systems are operated by smoke detectors?

What is the likelyhood that this laundromat actually had one of these special system?

I caught that too Barry when I read the paper today. They must have had those smokable link sprinklers.

After being interviewed, fire officers should always read the daily newspaper...more often than not they will find out what they DIDN'T say.

I guess under a skewed interpretation it could be assumed that he was advocating against the use of sprinklers. Which i'm sure isn't the case. I believe that was what your point was pasobuff, correct me if I'm wrong.

Speaking of sprinklers does anyone know where I can find a report about the effectiveness of sprinklers in commercial properties. Specifically schools?

Sprinklers have traditionally been about 96% effective. Good source is Nat'l Sprinkler Assn in patterson NY

City firefighters, responding to a dryer fire that filled a coin-operated laundromat with smoke yesterday morning, had just entered the Welcher Avenue building and were working on the blaze when the smoke triggered the sprinkler system, Fire Chief John Pappas said.

This was not a direct quote from the chief as it was not in quotes in the article. The only one that really knows what was said to the reporter here was the chief. The rest is nothing more than less than accurate reporting.

"The sprinklers went off right after we made entry," Pappas said. "Our guys got soaked. It would have been a lot better if they didn't go off."

Since this was in quotations in the article, this should have been taken verbatim.

One thing you learn from reporting to the media seminars is what ever you say is fair game whether you meant what is written or not. Additionally, what is directly quoted could have been taken out of context from what the literal conversation was.

Edited by TRUCK6018

You win the prize! I too have not seen smoke activated sprinklers.........

As for the comment about not having the sprinklers activate.....I am thinking he meant there would have been less water damage - and that the crew inside had a handle on the fire......that is just my take.

I know the Chief (haven't seen him in a while though!) - and I'm sure this was a case of mis-speaking and out of context.

It is amazing what can get taken out of context, this was a pretty mild case.....I've seen worse!

You win the prize! I too have not seen smoke activated sprinklers.........

I have seen them, just not in regular occupancies. They are found in ultra high risk chemical facilities and usually set up as deluge or preaction systems.

I think it's just a case of reading way too far into it. But then again, we are our own worst critics.

Maybe he was just worried that his FF would melt if they got wet. ZING ZING

Just trying to have a little fun with everyone.

I wouldn't worry too much about the article. In all honesty, unless its on the front page with 2 inch caps, most likely few will take the time to read it, except mostly emergency workers or those who read every single line, including all the classified adds.

you should always watch what you say to newspapers .. They print to sell

the media is more blood sucking than most lawyers. They will do anything to sell a story...

I think it's just a case of reading way too far into it. But then again, we are our own worst critics.

Aren't we now?

I constantly find myself wanting to say things - but tehn rethinking it...even sending emails- I've wanted to say something, typed it out then read it and said 'wait, can't say that!'.......

In my line I work I do quite a bit of teaching to adults - some of these people somewhat 'high ranking' as far as public service - and LOTS of attorneys!.......you never know who is around you, or in your class!

You are right on target--be careful what you say and be aware of who you are saying it to. I am sure the Chief is a advocate of sprinklers and smoke detectors, but as all human beings are capable of doing at times, the brain and the tongue werent working in sync.

Aren't we now?

I constantly find myself wanting to say things - but tehn rethinking it...even sending emails- I've wanted to say something, typed it out then read it and said 'wait, can't say that!'.......

In my line I work I do quite a bit of teaching to adults - some of these people somewhat 'high ranking' as far as public service - and LOTS of attorneys!.......you never know who is around you, or in your class!

All valid points, and I don't think that anyone would disagree. I just think that this has gone a little crazy over one "quote" that was probably misquoted by the reporter anyway, over a nickel/dime dryer fire.

I'm still waiting for my SCBA cylinder to blow up - you know - the one the news keeps saying is filled with oxygen. =)

Maybe I missed something, but didn't anyone else find it a bit strange that the FD was already ON SCENE before the sprinklers went off?

Maybe I missed something, but didn't anyone else find it a bit strange that the FD was already ON SCENE before the sprinklers went off?

Most sprinklers are designed to go off at 135 - 170 deg (at the sprinkler head). If this was a dryer fire it may have been contained or partially contained in the dryer. The smoke still would set off the alarm ssytem or a witness could have called FD. In the next 4 or so minutes if the fire continued to grow the heat would build up and set off the sprinkler heads, potentially (but not commonly) as FD was entering

There were many times after an incident that I would anxiously wait for the local weekly to come out so I could see what I "said" to the reporter. Sometimes I amazed myself.

I am quite confident that the cheif was not denigrading the effectivness of sprinklers with his comment. I am sure he was reffering to the extensive water damage they caused for a nickels worth of fire, and the fact that some of the brothers were soaked to the bone on a cold winters day. I recently responded to a cooking fire that resulted in a sprinkler activation in an OMD. The fire was extinguished upon our arrival, but the water damage extended to the 2 floor below the apt of origin.

I am quite confident that the cheif was not denigrading the effectivness of sprinklers with his comment. I am sure he was reffering to the extensive water damage they caused for a nickels worth of fire, and the fact that some of the brothers were soaked to the bone on a cold winters day. I recently responded to a cooking fire that resulted in a sprinkler activation in an OMD. The fire was extinguished upon our arrival, but the water damage extended to the 2 floor below the apt of origin.

Using this as a learning experience - what could have been done to mitigate this problem? (to be specific the issue with the sprinklers)

I have several ideas, but I'll see what thoughts others have.

Well....for one, know where the main shut off's are (pre-plan) for the sprinkler system. Also, either have access to a key, or take a pair of bolt cutters with you to cut the lock off if there is a chain/lock.

Have a ladder and wedges ready to help control the water flow from the sprinkler.

One thing I do not know from this particular situation - how many sprinklers actually went off at this fire......

But - could we move this part of the discussion to a new thread???

'If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.'

- Mark Twain

'If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed.'

- Mark Twain

Well said. I for one, have known this chief for 15 years and he was no doubt referring to the excessive water damage caused by the sprinkler's going off. Let's not read too much into this.