Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ex-commish

Rear Facing Red lights

63 posts in this topic

I usually don't engage in discussions about lights but I have a question. Are rear facing red lights that flash illegal on a POV? I saw a car recently with blue lights in the front and red lights in the rear that were flashing.

I am not sure - I used to have some and never got my stones busted

edit*

I had red rear on 2 different vehicles.

- red and yellow rotating Firebeam with Ultra Flash mirrors on my old Lumina

- red lens in one of two dual head strobes in rear window of Blazer (red/blue) (blue/yellow)

Edited by x129K

As per the law .... as long as it is connected in to you rear lighting system (break, tail lights, 4 way flasher, etc) it's ok

However

I don't think the police will bother you, unless its too over done

As per the law .... as long as it is connected in to you rear lighting system (break, tail lights, 4 way flasher, etc) it's ok

However

Depends on where you go...

I had red taillight strobes in my old Dodge Avenger and got a verbal warning for them by a DEP Lieutenant.

Also, I've had my stones broken by an officer in my own town about having them in my Mustang, and again by a Trooper on I-84 while stopping to assist at an accident.

From the NYS V&T Law....the vehicle MUST be an Emergency Vehicle.....

§ 375 (41). Colored and flashing lights.

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in subparagraph b of this paragraph.

I think that you are citing the wrong thing Pasobuff. I have one on the back of my car and I've never had a problem. Not like it matters but tow trucks have rear facing red lights. I don't see the point on regulating whats rear facing. Our department has man power respond to the scene. Anything that keeps my car from getting hit i'd put in.

Depends on where you go...

I had red taillight strobes in my old Dodge Avenger and got a verbal warning for them by a DEP Lieutenant.

Also, I've had my stones broken by an officer in my own town about having them in my Mustang, and again by a Trooper on I-84 while stopping to assist at an accident.

I saw the Mustang at the Road Knights in Peekskill. It may have been the cop thought it was a little over the top.

It has always been my understanding that this really is a grey area. One side I have heard is that TECHNICALLY, you can have almost any color facing the rear, as it would not constitute a warning light in the sense that it does not face forward, and cannot be misconstrued as trying to "pull someone over" using it.

On the OTHER hand, the V&T also states that for Vol. FF they can only use one, yes one, BLUE light.

So therein it contradicts itself. And again, yes, it does depend on where you are, as some localities will break stones more than others.

Again, this was just the interpretation I was under, although I may be wrong, and probably am, so please feel free to clarify/correct me!

I guess my next question is why would a POV need a flashing red light in the rear?

15 NYCRR 44.2

N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 15, 44.2

OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK

TITLE 15. DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER I. REGULATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER

SUBCHAPTER D. EQUIPMENT

PART 44. COLORED LIGHTS

Text is current through May 31, 2008.

S Section 44.2 Red lights and certain white lights.

A reference to the color red wherever it appears in this Part shall include the combination of the colors red and white.

(a) One or more red lights may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle which includes every ambulance, police vehicle, fire vehicle and civil defense emergency vehicle as each of these is defined in the Vehicle and Traffic Law.

(B) One or more red lights may be displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is parked or operating while engaged in transporting a sick or injured person, pursuing an actual or suspected violator of the law, or responding to or working or assisting at the scene of an accident, disaster, police call, alarm of fire or other emergency, including an emergency drill on a public highway. Such light or lights may not be displayed when returning from such service, except upon a fire vehicle. An authorized emergency vehicle operated for the purpose of obtaining fuel, lubricants, maintenance or repairs is not considered to be operation in an emergency.

© At least one red light must be displayed and visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet from any direction from an authorized emergency vehicle, except a police vehicle, exercising the privileges granted in section 1104 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law and sounding an audible signal as required by section 1104. Where required, because of vehicle construction, more than one red light may be used to satisfy the visibility requirement of section 1104.

(d) One all-white light, which is revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving may be affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle and displayed thereon only when such vehicle is engaged in emergency operation as set forth in subdivision (B) of this section. Such white light and the white portion of a combination red and white light shall not be:

(1) arranged, adjusted or operated so as to produce dangerous glare or dazzle;

(2) arranged, adjusted or operated so as to interfere with the visibility of any red light or red lights displayed on the vehicle; or

(3) of greater intensity than exceeds 100 candlepower as expressed in mean spherical candlepower at 35 watts.

(e) Headlamps of an approved headlighting system on an authorized emergency vehicle or any other vehicle may not be made to flash either alternately or in unison, except that the high beam white lights (ordinarily the inboard or lower lights) of a dual headlamp system may flash alternately on an authorized emergency vehicle.

<General Materials (GM) - References, Annotations, or Tables>

15 NYCRR 44.4

N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 15, 44.4

OFFICIAL COMPILATION OF CODES, RULES AND REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK

TITLE 15. DEPARTMENT OF MOTOR VEHICLES

CHAPTER I. REGULATIONS OF THE COMMISSIONER

SUBCHAPTER D. EQUIPMENT

PART 44. COLORED LIGHTS

Text is current through May 31, 2008.

S Section 44.4 Blue and green lights.

(a)

(1) One or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on a police vehicle unless such vehicle also displays one or more red, or combination red and white lights as otherwise authorized in this section.

(2) One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed.

(B) One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor vehicle owned by a member of such person's family, or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which he is employed.

© Authorization to affix a blue light to each of the motor vehicles described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section must be in writing, signed by the chief of the fire department or company. Authorization to affix a green light to each of the vehicles described in subdivision (B) of this section must be in writing and signed by the chief officer of the volunteer ambulance service. The authorization given to members of their respective organization may be revoked at any time by the chief officer who issued the same or his successor in office. Such written authority must be carried upon the person of the operator of the vehicle whenever such lights are displayed.

(d) A green light may not be affixed, nor may the authorization be given to do so, to a vehicle described in paragraph (a)(2) of this section where an ambulance service is operated by and is a function of a volunteer fire department or company.

(e) A blue light may be affixed to a vehicle which is entitled to have a green light affixed and such green light is affixed and both are properly authorized.

(f) A green light may be affixed to a vehicle, other than a police vehicle, which is entitled to have a blue light affixed and such blue light is affixed and both are properly authorized.

(g) A blue or green light may be affixed to a vehicle which is entitled to have amber lights affixed and one or more amber lights are so affixed, except that only one color which is appropriate to the activity of the vehicle may be displayed at any one time.

(h) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(1) of this section, a blue or green light may not be affixed to a vehicle which is entitled to have red lights affixed and one or more red lights are so affixed.

(i) A vehicle authorized to have either a blue or green light affixed may display only one such light and only when engaged in an emergency operation as set forth in subdivision (B) of section 44.2 of this Part.

(j) A vehicle authorized to have both a blue and green light affixed may display only one such light at a time and only that light which is appropriate to the use of the vehicle at that time.

(k) A blue or green light affixed to and displayed upon a vehicle pursuant to the preceding provisions shall also comply with the following:

(1) Only one such light may be displayed which must be visible from in front of such vehicle.

(2) [Reserved]

(3) Such light may not be part of the headlamp system.

(4) No inscription may appear across the face of the lens or dome.

(5) Such light may be a fixed, unidirectional light, either steady or flashing, mounted in front of or behind the grille or anywhere on the vehicle, or a revolving, rotating, oscillating or constantly moving light which must be mounted above the headlamps preferably on the roof to avoid reflected glare or distraction to the operator. If mounted upon the dashboard inside the vehicle, a suitable cover, which may consist of paint, must be used to prevent reflected glare or distraction to the operator.

(6) Such light must consist of a lamp with a blue or green lens and not an uncolored lens with a blue or green bulb, except that a roof-mounted dome unit which does not include a lens, must consist of a blue or green dome and not an uncolored dome with a blue or green bulb.

(7) The lens of such a light must be not less than three inches nor more than six inches in diameter, except that a roof-mounted dome unit which does not include a lens must be not more than nine inches in height.

(8) A roof-mounted dome unit may consist of one or more bulbs or sealed-beam lamps whose light source cannot exceed 32 candlepower.

(9) The affixing of more than one light or lighting device or fixture whereby the lights or lamps are made to flash alternately is prohibited.

(10) The provisions of this subdivision shall not apply to a police vehicle.

(l) One bar light may be used, provided that:

(1) it has a housing not more than nine inches high;

(2) it consists of a blue or green housing, and not an uncolored housing with blue or green bulbs;

(3) all bulbs inside the housing flash on and off simultaneously;

(4) the blue or green housing is continuous with no breaks, barriers or coverings which could give the appearance of two or more lights; and

(5) it is mounted on the roof of the vehicle and not on the hood, trunk or other part of the vehicle.

(m) Lights that give off blinding flashes, such as strobe lights, are prohibited.

(n) Some examples of prohibited lights are:

(1) a blue or green light on the front of the vehicle together with the same color light on the roof;

(2) a blue or green dome light and a bar light of the same color;

(3) a bar light divided into two or more parts by any section of another color, including white, or by any opaque material; or

(4) two blue or two green dome lights.

(o) A green light may not have a light source greater than 32 candlepower.

<General Materials (GM) - References, Annotations, or Tables>

15 NY ADC 44.4

END OF DOCUMENT

I have one on the back of my car and I've never had a problem. Not like it matters but tow trucks have rear facing red lights. I don't see the point on regulating whats rear facing. Our department has man power respond to the scene. Anything that keeps my car from getting hit i'd put in.

1) Just because you have never had a "problem" does not mean it is legal.

2) Just because others maybe doing something illegal, does not mean it it ok for you to do it to. (the old, if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too)

3) I don't see the point in lots of regulations but they are still there

4) If your car gets hit & you get sued for an "illegal" light you may loss more than just your car.

1) Just because you have never had a "problem" does not mean it is legal.

2) Just because others maybe doing something illegal, does not mean it it ok for you to do it to. (the old, if everyone jumped off a bridge, would you do it too)

3) I don't see the point in lots of regulations but they are still there

4) If your car gets hit & you get sued for an "illegal" light you may loss more than just your car.

You mean like the multiple blue lights on the rear of a police car or even some front facing blue lights on police cars or the blinding lights (red, white, and amber) on the HELP trucks that are so bright you can't see anything when approaching them from the rear?

You mean like the multiple blue lights on the rear of a police car or even some front facing blue lights on police cars or the blinding lights (red, white, and amber) on the HELP trucks that are so bright you can't see anything when approaching them from the rear?

Blue is the strongest color of the spectrum, making it the hardest on the eyes and therefore the most visible. Many police depts added those blue lights after officers were being killed while doing their job on the side of the road. You'd really wish to deny police officers the added safety and visibility of blue lights because they're supposed to be reserved for volunteers?

In Connecticut, It is legal to have rear facing flashing red lights. So what about red rear turn signals in NY?

Blue is the strongest color of the spectrum, making it the hardest on the eyes and therefore the most visible. Many police depts added those blue lights after officers were being killed while doing their job on the side of the road. You'd really wish to deny police officers the added safety and visibility of blue lights because they're supposed to be reserved for volunteers?

Not at all. I personally don't have a problem with it. ONE rear facing blue light is permitted by law on police cars in NY.

What I have a problem with is the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of most law enforcement personnel.

You know them, the cell phone talking, no seat belt wearing, speeding because they can, police officers.

When I was an MP, we were held to a higher standard under the theory that in order to properly enforce the law, we should set the example and obey the law ourselves.

In Connecticut, It is legal to have rear facing flashing red lights. So what about red rear turn signals in NY?

Hey Slayer, technically on interpretation it is a gray area also for CT law under the 14-296 statute. Its the way its worded that is the problem and installed if pre-existing on the vehicle (aka rear tail lights with installed flashing lights). When I worked at the CSP I asked a few of the troopers what they though and they had no problem with it (adding separate red lights) and said that the 14-296 statute covered you and could be used in conjunction with the "blue light" permit but not covered by it. Also you are suposed to have separate permit if you have an amber light flashing no matter which way it faces, but again II've never heard of anyone having problems. I've never had a problem nor have I ever seen anyone in the state having a red light flashing towards the rear.

One interesting fact is the fire-police members can have flashing front red lights but they can only be used while the vehicle is stationary and not in motion. I beleive this is covered under the fire-police statutes set byu the state.

Not at all. I personally don't have a problem with it. ONE rear facing blue light is permitted by law on police cars in NY.

I originally thought that there could only be one blue light but it says above that there can be multiple rear facing blue lights

(a)

(1) One or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only.

What is the true story?

(a)(1) One or more blue lights or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white lights may be affixed to a police vehicle, provided that such blue light or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection only.

I have come up with a theory. When on EMTBravo no mater what the question is the thread will always turn into a blue light issue. Seth, maybe there should be a section called "everything you always wanted to know about blue lights".

Edited by Bnechis

What I have a problem with is the "do as I say, not as I do" attitude of most law enforcement personnel.

I'm not sure what's more annoying personally, someone unsure of specifics in the law or someone ignorant of the law, yet so confident in their "knowledge" that they use capitals, bold, and underlining a fact, which just happens to be incorrect? (See NYS VTL 375.41.4.b and c)

However

As has been the past customs on EMTBravo I believe, please don't say "As per the law" unless you actually include citations to the "laws" your referencing.

Edited by INIT915

You know them, the cell phone talking, no seat belt wearing, speeding because they can, police officers.

When I was an MP, we were held to a higher standard under the theory that in order to properly enforce the law, we should set the example and obey the law ourselves.

You are correct in the one blue light, but that would apply to members of a volunteer FD facing forward only. Nothing idicated about rear facing red, blue, white, yellow, so it would make it illegal. Re-read the one or more part regarding police vehicle.

As far as talking on the cell phone and not wearing a seatbelt PD is exempt, so yes they can.

As far as being an MP and being held to a higher standard, you think the facts would have been in order before posting your opinion of the NYS VTL

You guys think that is bad, what about some one who has a mini light bar with amber to the front and red to the rear, along with two other dash lights that are both amber, and also two red/clear rear deck strobes? I know some one who has that setup, and im surprised he hasn't had his stones busted.

why oh why do we still have these threads? The V&T law as it pertains to blue/green lights is pretty clear. 1 single dash rotator is what is permitted, anything in excess of that is probably considered illegal.

No reason, what so ever, for anything more than a modest front facing option. If the safety of your vehicle is the concern and thus the reason why one would look to install additional lights, just go to the fire house/ambulance headquarters and turn out with the truck.

Question: Why put lights in your car if its not a emergency vehicle. Its doesn't give you the right to exceed the speed limit, go through red signals/signs??? What happend to a courtesy light? Somebodies looking for their "jollies."

Four letters b u f f

You don’t want to get caught with all these lights when there is a report of a police impersonator in the area who pulled over a car a few minutes ago.

Maybe for more visibility at a scene if your first on scene.

I have a red/amber light stick in the back of my SUV, it is about 12"-18" long. I have it because if I am driving and see an accident, and I have a legal or moral duty to act, I can make my vehicle slightly more visible if I use it to protect myself at the scene as a first responder.

I drive a Honda, and I don't know of any Honda police vehicles, well, anywhere. And I don't think there is a possible way to impersonate a police officer with my rear-facing stick. I have had it since 2004, and never had anyone (local/county/state) care about it.

I am from the school of thought that I really DON'T want to look like a police officer, as it can only increase the dangers to myself, and I have neither the training or the equipment to protect myself from those dangers. I think this might be why Greenburgh is working on making the EMS and Police vehicles more distinct from each other.

I stand corrected. Thank you for bringing the error to my attention.

However

What law are you referencing that makes rear lighting systems legal if they're part of your brake/tail lights?

I think that you are citing the wrong thing Pasobuff. I have one on the back of my car and I've never had a problem. Not like it matters but tow trucks have rear facing red lights. I don't see the point on regulating whats rear facing. Our department has man power respond to the scene. Anything that keeps my car from getting hit i'd put in.

Just cause you've gotten away with it or because tow trucks/HELP trucks are doing it doesn't make it legal. THe section posted is correct. Insofar as the VTL is concerned, emergency vehicles are the only vehicles authorized to display red/white lights - and it doesn't specify which direction they face. With regard to the HELP trucks, it is possible that DOT got special dispensation for them to use rear facing red lights but someone with firsthand info will have to confirm that.

This is the law, as previously cited in part, in its entirety. This should eliminate some of the confusion and erroneous interpretations. Section 375 of the Vehicle and Traffic Law (subdivision 41):

41. Colored and flashing lights. The provisions of this subdivision

shall govern the affixing and display of lights on vehicles, other than

those lights required by law. 1. No light, other than a white light, and

no revolving, rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving white

light shall be affixed to, or displayed on any vehicle except as

prescribed herein.

2. Red lights and certain white lights. One or more red or combination

red and white lights, or one white light which must be a revolving,

rotating, flashing, oscillating or constantly moving light, may be

affixed to an authorized emergency vehicle, and such lights may be

displayed on an authorized emergency vehicle when such vehicle is

engaged in an emergency operation, and upon a fire vehicle while

returning from an alarm of fire or other emergency.

3. Amber lights. a. One or more amber lights may be affixed to a

hazard vehicle, and such a light or lights which display an amber light

visible to all approaching traffic under normal atmospheric conditions

from a distance of five hundred feet from such vehicle shall be

displayed on a hazard vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in a

hazardous operation. Such light or lights shall not be required to be

displayed during daylight hours provided at least two red flags visible

from a distance of five hundred feet are placed both in or on the front

of, and to or on the rear of the vehicle and two such flags are placed

to each side of the vehicle open to traffic. Such lights or flags need

not be displayed on the vehicle when the vehicle is operating, or

parked, within a barricaded work area and said lights or flags are

displayed on the barricade. The provisions of this subdivision shall not

prohibit the temporary affixing and display of an amber light to be used

as a warning on a disabled motor vehicle or on a motor vehicle while it

is stopped on a highway while engaged in an operation which would

restrict, impede or interfere with the normal flow of traffic.

b. In any city in this state having a population of one million or

more, one amber light may be affixed to any motor vehicle owned or

operated by a volunteer member of a civilian or crime patrol provided

such volunteer civilian or crime patrol member has been authorized in

writing to so affix an amber light by the police commissioner of the

municipality in which he patrols, which authorization shall be subject

to revocation at any time by the police commissioner who issued the same

or his successor in office. Such amber light may be operated by such

volunteer civilian or crime patrol member in such a vehicle only when

engaged in a patrol operation as defined and authorized by rules and

regulations promulgated by the police commissioner and only in such a

manner and at such times as may be authorized by the police commissioner

pursuant to said rules and regulations.

4. Blue light. a. One blue light may be affixed to any motor vehicle

owned by a volunteer member of a fire department or on a motor vehicle

owned by a member of such person's family residing in the same household

or by a business enterprise in which such person has a proprietary

interest or by which he or she is employed, provided such volunteer

firefighter has been authorized in writing to so affix a blue light by

the chief of the fire department or company of which he or she is a

member, which authorization shall be subject to revocation at any time

by the chief who issued the same or his or her successor in office. Such

blue light may be displayed exclusively by such volunteer firefighter on

such a vehicle only when engaged in an emergency operation. The use of

blue and red light combinations shall be prohibited on all fire

vehicles. The use of blue lights on fire vehicles shall be prohibited

and the use of blue lights on vehicles shall be restricted for use only

by a volunteer firefighter except as otherwise provided for in

subparagraph b of this paragraph.

b. In addition to the red and white lights authorized to be displayed

pursuant to paragraph two of this subdivision, one or more blue lights

or combination blue and red lights or combination blue, red and white

lights may be affixed to a police vehicle (emphasis added), provided that such blue light

or lights shall be displayed on a police vehicle for rear projection

only. In the event that the trunk or rear gate of a police vehicle

obstructs or diminishes the visibility of other emergency lighting on

such vehicle, a blue light may be affixed to and displayed from the

trunk, rear gate or interior of such vehicle. Such lights may be

displayed on a police vehicle when such vehicle is engaged in an

emergency operation. Nothing contained in this subparagraph shall be

deemed to authorize the use of blue lights on police vehicles unless

such vehicles also display one or more red or combination red and white

lights as otherwise authorized in this subdivision.

c. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate rules and regulations

relating to the use, placement, power and display of blue lights on a

police vehicle.

5. Green light. One green light may be affixed to any motor vehicle

owned by a member of a volunteer ambulance service, or on a motor

vehicle owned by a member of such person's family, or by a business

enterprise in which such person has a proprietary interest or by which

he is employed, provided such member has been authorized in writing to

so affix a green light by the chief officer of such service as

designated by the members thereof. Such green light may be displayed

exclusively by such member of a volunteer ambulance service only when

engaged in an emergency operation. The use of green lights on vehicles

shall be restricted for use only by a member of a volunteer ambulance

service as provided for in this paragraph.

As used in this paragraph volunteer ambulance service means: a. a

non-profit membership corporation (other than a fire corporation)

incorporated under or subject to the provisions of the membership

corporations law, or any other law, operating its ambulance or

ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members

thereof and their families or of the community or under a contract with

a county, city, town or village pursuant to section one hundred

twenty-two-b of the general municipal law; or

b. an unincorporated association of persons operating its ambulance or

ambulances on a non-profit basis for the convenience of the members and

their families or of the community.

6. The commissioner is authorized to promulgate regulations with

respect to the affixing and display of colored lights and to promulgate

specifications with respect to such lights.

7. The provisions of this subdivision forty-one shall not be

applicable to vehicles from other states or from the Dominion of Canada

which have entered this state to render police, fire or civil defense

aid, or ambulance service, while such vehicles are here or are returning

to their home stations if the lights on such vehicles comply with the

laws of their home states or the Dominion of Canada and are displayed in

this state in the same manner permitted by their home states or the

Dominion of Canada, nor shall the provisions of this subdivision

forty-one be deemed to amend, supersede or in any manner affect the

provisions of the New York state defense emergency act as now in force

or as it may be amended from time to time.

8. The provisions of this subdivision shall not be applicable to the

driver of a vehicle from another state or foreign jurisdiction which

vehicle has colored lights affixed but not revolving, rotating,

flashing, oscillating or constantly moving if the lights on such vehicle

comply with the laws of the state or home foreign jurisdiction in which

the vehicle is registered.

Multiple rear facing blue lights are authorized on police vehicles. Don't confuse the limitation on volunteer FF vehicles having only one light. See the bold type in the law cited above.

Do as I say, not as I do attitudes of law enforcement? If the PD enforced the VTL on the use of warning lights on volunteer FF and EMS vehicles, there would be A LOT of tickets getting written. I see violations on volunteer vehicles almost every day; do you really want strict enforcement and narrow interpretation of these laws? You speak of setting an example and obeying the law ourselves and yet this thread is chock full of people saying that they're violating the VTL and getting away with it.

Turn signals are covered by a different section of the law.

As has been the past customs on EMTBravo I believe, please don't say "As per the law" unless you actually include citations to the "laws" your referencing.

Not just custom, this is a forum rule. If someone talks about a law, provide a citation so others can read the actual text and be properly informed. This thread is a prime example of why this rule was enacted in the first place. There are entirely too many improper interpretations and flat-out wrong assertions about what the law is.

Chris - a question - where does a single rotating light with the mirrors surrounding it fall? Is that legit?

712648.jpeg

Chris - a question - where does a single rotating light with the mirrors surrounding it fall? Is that legit?

Good question. The VTL section doesn't describe such devices nor is it specifically addressed in the CRR (also quoted in this thread) so my answer is I don't know.

It may be subject to different intrepretation so I would seek an answer from the State clarifying the issue.

I'll just keep driving responsibly when it is in use and keep the Troopers on my good side...

Blah blah blah. So many of these threads and so little productivity out of them. I have to travel one of the densest stretches of highway in Dutchess County to get to the firehouse, I've never ran anyone off the road and my one front facing blue light has dust on it from it's last use and at this point was a waste of $200. I still make the rig every time and I hit wayyy too many calls. At what point are you buying blue and red lights truly for safety reasons and at what point are you just getting off on lights and sounds. I don't think as a company officer I'd want anyone getting out of their POV with the brakes smoking and 5000 lights going off and getting in an engine and driving myself and my crew.