Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JM15

Deaf Pennsylvania Fire Chief Makes Self Heard

18 posts in this topic

Mark Kite Sr. followed a family tradition when he joined the Yukon Volunteer Fire Company in 1977.

"My grandfather and my father and myself and my brother and now my boy," Kite said, rattling off the family members who all served their community in South Huntingdon.

Kite, who was born nearly deaf, once thought he couldn't be a firefighter.

Article

Thoughts? I could see this being a big problem on the fire ground, especially since he has trouble using radios. Effective communication skills are necessary in my opinion to be an effective officer.

Edited by jack10562
Source Site Copyright Notice

While he can typically hear what's coming over the radio, Kite's speech is difficult to understand over the equipment.

But that's not a concern.

"He can tell anyone around him to get on the radio and tell them what needs done," Moore said. "In my mind he's qualified. He's been around the fire company for many years and he has the experience."

Thoughts? I could see this being a big problem on the fire ground, especially since he has trouble using radios. Effective communication skills are necessary in my opinion to be an effective officer.

Looks to be working..... ;)

Tell me none of you have ever had an Officer that screams everything he needs/wants into the radio and you have to have them repeat their message because it's impossible to understand. On the other side of the spectrum, I know people who use radios that mumble so bad I have to have them repeat religiously.

I don't see how this is any worse than those articles that say "Chief hits 60 year mark of service."

from firehouse.com:

"You'll hear my colleagues tell you that they often rely too much on their hearing and that the ability deaf firefighters have to trust their other senses gives me advantages hearing firefighters don't have," McDevitt said.

Totaly true. We have a deaf firefighter in Amenia, (my cousin) who always seams to know more about whats going on than most people, on and off the fire scene. I wish more people would realize this, and most do once they work and train with him.

Edited by FF31-126

from firehouse.com:

"You'll hear my colleagues tell you that they often rely too much on their hearing and that the ability deaf firefighters have to trust their other senses gives me advantages hearing firefighters don't have," McDevitt said.

Totaly true. We have a deaf firefighter in Amenia, (my cousin) who always seams to know more about whats going on than most people, on and off the fire scene. I wish more people would realize this, and most do once they work and train with him.

I was waiting for one of you guys to chime in..... ;)

More power to him.

I've never worked with anyone on the fireground who hearing impaired, I have worked with someone who is seeing impaired, (not fully blind), and he is one of the best firefighters I know and would trust him with my life any day of the week no matter who else was on the scene.

Its about recognizing your limitations and pre planning how to handle it. I agree with Raz. 60 years of "old school" and "when I was your age" is much more dangerous than a deaf chief who everyone is aware of and step have been taken to address any potential problems.

I think that if there are plans in place to work around the chiefs limitations, than everything will work fine. The membership must also feel the same way since the voted him in.

My name is Richard Howard who is deaf. I am first deaf firefighter in NY . Most people know sign language so i can talk to people.

Richie is a good firefighter he knows his limitations. He is also my younger brother so I am always watching for him. Most of the crew knows sign language, but he does read lip very well.

I've worked with Richie on firegrounds and in the private sectors and I personally know that he can do whatever he puts his mind too. I know he drives Amenia rigs but like chris31 said he knows his limitations (last I knew he needed someone to go with him for the radio communications)

Anyone that is around Richie truly knows that he usually knows more about what is going on than any of us. He truly is an asset to our battalion and the Amenia FD. Keep up your excellent work Richie.!!!!!! Plus he is now our official assistant phototog.

Here is Richie giving me some tips on the CAFS line the other night, you can't see him well but his hand, but he was there for me.

post-16297-1233796569.jpg

And in the background (on right) watching our explorers manage the handline, ensuring they were operating safely and correctly.

post-16297-1233796628.jpg

No offense to anyone but where does your department set limitations? Im sure handicapped people could be excellent firefighters. Would you feel safe operating with along side someone who was blind? what if they didn't have full use of their legs? Its great that you guys know sign language but how effective is that when your interior doing work? What about mutual aid where no one knows sign language? If someone can't communicate over a radio doesn't that make them a potential liablity if they lost or disorientated and can't call for help? In my opinion there are too many what if's.

He is not from my department and we are the closet Mutual Aid to them. We have no problems working with him at all. As Chris31 (who is also their Asst. Chief) posted, he knows his limitations and so do we and we will leave it at that.

As I stated before he is an excellent Firefighter and I welcome him to any and all of my calls any day.

I dont know about other people but most times in a structure sign language is how you communicate with your partner or you have to yell.... it may not be well defined but you do communicate that way

I was so shock about deaf be cheif :o so I dont want run any officer becuase have to talk to radio. I drive fire truck, amb. and brush truck. I can doing interior only small fire not large or havey smoke but i can doing cut roof and car fire. Amenia fire dept. got grants new scba like when you inside in fire and one person outsside with compute see how much air you have when that people inside so and there a light in mask see green to red. Green is full yellow get low and get out red run air out. most i doing outside zone like doing hose. I know there many deaf can join fire dept any where in usa. i can doing any thing. some fire dept said no to deaf join fire dept. there many deaf in Pa and maryland join fire dept. I want see more deaf join fire dept want be firefighter or emt