Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NYRangers30

Westchester Top 10 Incidents Of 2008 Discussion Thread

32 posts in this topic

I nominate the Bedford 190 Narrows Road Fire on October 8 for number 11

#12 port chester march 18-19 2 working fires on MAIN ST the same block within 4 buildings of eachother when finshed doing the c&O INVEST NOTICED SMOKE COMING FROM THER BUILDING DOWN THE ST MULTI TOWER LADDERS WORKING

I nominate the Bedford 190 Narrows Road Fire on October 8 for number 11

my thoughts exactly

nice list thanks for listing it cant wait to see Dutchess

In case some people missed it, please try reading the following that was posted with the list:

Incidents were selected by a panel of EMTBravo.com moderators based on, with no factor holding any more weight than another, size and scope of incident, response to incident, loss of life, effect on response, training and operating policy. Rank of incidents was voted on by EMTBravo.com moderators.

The list is not open for "nominations". This is the final list. There are numerous incidents that occur in Westchester each year, many are considered, and not every one makes the list. If we listed them all, then this list would have no point.

Thank you to Truck4 for his hard work on YET ANOTHER great list. I am however disappointed by the lack of member appreciation for this. By that, I mean some members saw the list and immediately balked because their incident/department wasn't on it, and didn't read everything(note the red print above). Only one member extended appreciation and thanks so far, and hundreds of members have requested this list.

I'm not knocking those discussing the list, just annoyed by that it's the "Top 10 Incidents Of 2008", and people are nominating incidents, question why certain incidents didn't make it, etc....all of which is fine, however a thank you to Truck4 would be much appreciated for his hard work and dedication to this annual list.

Edited by x635
CLARIFICATION

Great work Truck 4 :rolleyes: thanks for all your work, Allways look forword to your posts.

In case some people missed it, please try reading the following that was posted with the list:

The list is not open for "nominations". This is the final list. There are numerous incidents that occur in Westchester each year, many are considered, and not every one makes the list. If we listed them all, then this list would have no point.

Thank you to Truck4 for his hard work on YET ANOTHER great list. I am however disappointed by the lack of member appreciation for this. By that, I mean some members saw the list and immediately balked because their incident/department wasn't on it, and didn't read everything(note the red print above). Only one member extended appreciation and thanks so far, and hundreds of members have requested this list.

I'm not knocking those discussing the list, just annoyed by that it's the "Top 10 Incidents Of 2008", and people are nominating incidents, question why certain incidents didn't make it, etc....all of which is fine, however a thank you to Truck4 would be much appreciated for his hard work and dedication to this annual list.

Hey take it easy Seth... any time anyone gives their 'top ten' list of anything in this life, the first thing that happens is you'll get everyone chipping in about what they agree and disagree about, and what they might have put on the list. Truck4 does a great job all-round, I don't think anyone fails to recognise that.

And I don't mean to sound churlish, but the list (like all such lists) IS simply subjective opinion (although opinion based on a lot of data, in the case of Truck4!) - I'm sure he put a lot of work into it, but any of us could come up with his or her own list, I don't consider it the kind of post that merits effusive thanks... no disrespect intended.

And I don't mean to sound churlish, but the list (like all such lists) IS simply subjective opinion (although opinion based on a lot of data, in the case of Truck4!) - I'm sure he put a lot of work into it, but any of us could come up with his or her own list, I don't consider it the kind of post that merits effusive thanks... no disrespect intended.

Truck4 compiled the list with the help of the EMTBravo staff, not just by himself. This has been an annual tradition on EMTBravo.com for 6 years now, and every year it has been Truck4 who has taken the lead and speaheaded the list. The list is OBJECTIVE, not subjective. I've gotten hundreds of emails and PM's asking me about this years list, and the stats on people who view the lists are always high, proving my point that it is a popular feature.

I'm annoyed because of the rise of the complete lack of respect shown for the staff of this site. They work really hard to keep this site online, and in fact, there would be no EMTBravo without them. And people just take them for granted. This is the first time in six years I've seen member immedietely start the discussion thread with "well, this should be on the list"

No one did anything in this post to disrespect the staff or anyone. If they did im sure it was not there intensions. All they were doing was bringing up other incidents that COULD have been on the top 10 but respectfully wernt because of more important or more significant ones.

Seth - 1 quesion - is it a requirement that an incident highlighted in the Top 10 be a job that was POSTED in the area IA Forum?

Also - is there al ink to the Firehouse Collapse? I dont recall hearing about that

Seth - 1 quesion - is it a requirement that an incident highlighted in the Top 10 be a job that was POSTED in the area IA Forum?

Also - is there al ink to the Firehouse Collapse? I dont recall hearing about that

Yes.

Peekskill Firehouse Collapse: http://www.emtbravo.net/index.php?showtopic=27206

No one did anything in this post to disrespect the staff or anyone. If they did im sure it was not there intensions. All they were doing was bringing up other incidents that COULD have been on the top 10 but respectfully wernt because of more important or more significant ones.

Understood.

Has it really gotten to the point where we have to have someone post the definition of what subjective and objective means, come on guys can't we all relax and take it as it is.

This is the Westchester top 10, enjoy it and lets stop the petty non sense, all this does it make people not want to even bother coming to the site when they have to deal with this kind of behavior over something as simple as this. WOW!!

Has it really gotten to the point where we have to have someone post the definition of what subjective and objective means, come on guys can't we all relax and take it as it is.

This is the Westchester top 10, enjoy it and lets stop the petty non sense, all this does it make people not want to even bother coming to the site when they have to deal with this kind of behavior over something as simple as this. WOW!!

Agreed, and I apologize. Sometimes some issues just get under my skin, and I don't know when to stop typing. Let's just enjoy the list....however, PLEASE show some appreciaton to your EMTBravo staff members!(not me, because all I do is the IT, long term development, and financial end of things now- the staffers are on the front line to help you the member

Agreed, and I apologize. Sometimes some issues just get under my skin, and I don't know when to stop typing. Let's just enjoy the list....however, PLEASE show some appreciaton to your EMTBravo staff members!(not me, because all I do is the IT, long term development, and financial end of things now- the staffers are on the front line to help you the member

Thank you Seth for providing US a place to express our opinions, whether we are right or wrong we all can, at the end of the day feel that we have a forum to express our views and have healthy dialogue between each other.

I wish to thank all the contributors to the site for making this site what it is. Without all of us it would not be the same, we all contribute to the site and I for one look forward to clicking on emtbravo.net in my favorites daily to see what is going on, who has expressed their opinion, the continued growth of the site depends on all of us. So thanks again to everyone.

Truck4 compiled the list with the help of the EMTBravo staff, not just by himself. This has been an annual tradition on EMTBravo.com for 6 years now, and every year it has been Truck4 who has taken the lead and speaheaded the list. The list is OBJECTIVE, not subjective.

Now you're being silly. To be objective, a list would have to be based on measurable, quantifiable criteria - number of alarms, apparatus attending, duration, whatever - *facts* which any observer would be able to determine. You know this, I know this. Whether it's the opinion of one person, or many, a subjective list such as this list remains subjective, and can never be anything else; it's just opinion, there's nothing objective, official, or canonical about it. bvfdjc316 got it dead right. It's a list. It's fun. Don't take it so seriously, ok?

I've gotten hundreds of emails and PM's asking me about this years list, and the stats on people who view the lists are always high, proving my point that it is a popular feature.

I don't doubt it. I enjoyed reading it myself.

I'm annoyed because of the rise of the complete lack of respect shown for the staff of this site. They work really hard to keep this site online, and in fact, there would be no EMTBravo without them. And people just take them for granted. This is the first time in six years I've seen member immedietely start the discussion thread with "well, this should be on the list"

As I said, anytime anyone puts up a 'top ten' list of anything, it's an open invitation to suggest what *you* think should be on it! With the possible exception of amongst the hacker community, moderating lists is, always has been, and always will be, a largely thankless task. QTIP, as one of out better-known contributors would put it. Making these bits of infrastructure work generates much good karma, however :rolleyes:

Ditto

I would hate to be stuck making a list like this. With that said, I would have to agree that the Port Chester Main Street Two, Town of Mamaroneck Three and Bedford Narrows Road fire are all very worthy candidates. They all were unusual and/or involved many, many units to handle. As a matter of fact, I think the Narrows Road fire used more Mutual Aid then any other incident last year, with the only exception of the Sleepy Hollow Beekman Avenue job.

But again, no matter how you do the list, people will be upset or in disagreement. Keep up the good work Truck4.

Next year we should do a Top 100 Incidents, that way hardly anyone will be left out and there will be no whining! :)

You guys really don't get it. This is what people look forward to about lists. They want to see what the list maker thought and then they agree or more likely disagree. Its the same with all the greatest band, album, car, president, gun, etc lists that people come up with. If people didn't care about the list no one would talk about it. Enjoy the attention the thread is getting, and dare I say come on out and defend the selections. Since you guys went the extra mile and actually interviewed people from the incident you have an insight that most the people here don't have. Share that info. The greatest list I've read is Burt Sugar's "Boxing's Greatest Fighters". When he published it, he caught a lot of attention because Marciano didn't make the top 10 and Ali wasn't even top 5 amongst other extremely unconventional rankings. His list is great because of the detail in which he defends each position and leaves the reader debating the book in their head.

QTIP and share the knowledge you guys have.

Thank you to those who ignored the nonsense in this thread and kept it on topic.

I am utterly astonished by the absurd debate that knocked this thread off-topic and how some people forget that this is an online forum for "buffs" to share info, exchange knowledge, etc. This is not a courtroom, it is not legislative chambers, and it is not perfect.

If you think that there was an incident worthy of inclusion that's fine, bring it up and discuss what made that incident unique. Don't diminish the ten incidents that alot of members were involved with by challenging the list as it stands.

If you didn't know it already, I'll say it now. The entire EMTBravo network is the product of a tremendous amount of personal effort and commitment by Seth and he is supported by a staff of volunteers. Nobody gets paid to make this forum what it is and nobody expects your gratitude BUT you shouldn't be surprised when staff get defensive and/or take it personally when the site or staff is criticized. Some people wear their hearts on their sleeve and some people are extremely defensive of their organizations/agencies/passions/websites. It would be no different than me saying that your fire/police/EMS agency is no good or got it wrong; you'd take it personally so don't be so shocked or annoyed when a staff member does. We're all just human after all.

From here on out, if you want to have an intelligent discussion about the top 10 incidents or other noteworthy incidents last year, GREAT! Let's have an insightful discussion about resource management, strategies and tactics, and the types of incidents that we're facing. But let's not get drawn into the kind of absurdity we all just read.

Thanks, Truck4, for putting the list together and for all your time and effort posting so SO many IA's over the year.

Thank you, Seth, for creating this forum and making it what it is today.

And finally, thank you to the membership, for making this a place that people want to come to and exchange thoughts or ideas.

Thanks for the hard work on the List guys but how about next year open up a short nomination period from the members? Maybe it's done that way now? Unless the Mod's would think it would cause too many headaches ?

Where is the damn list?

Theres a link on the top of the home page above the picture.

ok...well i am gunna post my mind if it get deleted ohwell.

I posted a post as i have seen many many many times before on other threads saying can't we all just get along. as much as i made it a joke i was being serious. It got deleted the first time so i posted it again and gone again, deleted.

I am going to say it again maybe in a different phrase so hopefully ti wont be deleted. we need to all just get along! we are all adults here and we are acting like children. the staff needs to take things membership say with a grain of salt and the membership need to(which i think most of us do) thank the staff a little more often so they dont forgot how thankfull we are for this site.

i do hope this post does not get deleted. I AM NOT trying to fuel this fire anymore(nor was i before). the staff in my opinion and this is an opinion site (i believe correct me if im wrong) needs to lightin up and remember how how this whole argument started. Not with a member but with a staff member so do not blaim the membership in dragging this on and speaking there mind because it all started with a staff member doing the same.

my $.02

wheres the dutchess list

I would say in Truck 4's Head. LOLOLOL. Patiences is a vertrue. Probally didnt spell that right, lol. But I am a waiting here for the Dutchess list. Your My Hero Scooter.

Thomas

Edited by TAPSJ