Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
oilflame

Yonkers Working Fire 2-16-09 (Photos)

39 posts in this topic

Nice pics thanks for sharing

You can take it how you like it, but in no way is this a bashing on anyone. Think of it as a learning experience for all of us, as a reminder to take youre time and not rush on what we do. Just take a look at how many guys dont have there waist straps secured,jackets opend,no nomex hoods or the guy not even wearing his helmet all of this done in front of a chief and or line officers. We are our own worst ennamy beacuse when things like this happen the bashings start on either paid or vollies. So before the critisizing's start, take a second or two and just think if you might have done the same thing. I know that I have.

Was it in fact a woodworking shop or is that an old sign or the occupancy next door?

What was the source of the fire; it seemed to be a quick and efficent job by the YFD. great work as usually

Thanks for sharing the photos.

You can take it how you like it, but in no way is this a bashing on anyone. Think of it as a learning experience for all of us, as a reminder to take youre time and not rush on what we do. Just take a look at how many guys dont have there waist straps secured,jackets opend,no nomex hoods or the guy not even wearing his helmet all of this done in front of a chief and or line officers. We are our own worst ennamy beacuse when things like this happen the bashings start on either paid or vollies. So before the critisizing's start, take a second or two and just think if you might have done the same thing. I know that I have.

-OK, Here's my take (I was there) It was a woodworking shop in an industrial complex.The fire was knocked down in the pix. The guy w/o helmet was driving the Engine, and did not enter the building. Hoods are a personal preference and not required. I'm not gonna comment on the waiststraps, it's been discussed many times on here before. A pic is a moment in time, a few minutes after pic, things may look totally different.

-OK, Here's my take (I was there) It was a woodworking shop in an industrial complex.The fire was knocked down in the pix. The guy w/o helmet was driving the Engine, and did not enter the building. Hoods are a personal preference and not required. I'm not gonna comment on the waiststraps, it's been discussed many times on here before. A pic is a moment in time, a few minutes after pic, things may look totally different.

Well written response and a great job by YFD!!

[/quot

Isn't he still in the DANGER ZONE?? Is it that much more of an effort since he has his turn out gear on just to put on his helmet so he can BS with the other guys.

Isn't he still in the DANGER ZONE?? Is it that much more of an effort since he has his turn out gear on just to put on his helmet so he can BS with the other guys.

I'm not here to debate you. Safety foremost, but The fire scene isn't a perfect place. We can try our best, but u can't make every little thing absolutely perfect !

Edited by R1SmokeEater

If you guys are telling me that every fire in your jurisdiction all of the firefighters wear every piece of PPE and wear it properly, then you are full of it....There is no way that happens no matter where you are...

And if you actually claim that is true...Is there someone at the front door when the first due company gets there to inspect everyone going through that door?

Hoods are optional?

Yes hoods are optional. We are not issued them or required to use them.

The firefighter is not wearing a helmet because his head is so large they are molding 1 from a Macy parade float. This will be issued to him shortly along with a nomex hood that doubled as fire proof potato sack, I think this is the guy girls call BIG SEXY

we have to have ours on but if you don't have time to get them on while your changing don't see why you can't put the hoods on on the way to the scene

Are you guys REALLY Monday Morning Quarterbacking a PROFESSIONAL, progressive, and aggressive department like the YFD?

Seriously?

PLEASE....give it a rest....

The next time one of you (or ME for that matter) buffs a fire to take pics - we're gonna get run right out of there because of this type of stuff. I mean who the hell wants to be nit picked by us buffs on Bravo?

I've seen ALOT of fire in Yonkers from my old Empress days...ALOT. This job pictured here looks like a "nothing job"....I bet they didnt even break a sweat.

Keep on keepin' on YFD!

why are hoods a personal preference , can i get batt 2 to confirm that the hood is not required to be worn , i just find that hard to believe.

why are hoods a personal preference , can i get batt 2 to confirm that the hood is not required to be worn , i just find that hard to believe.

Confirmation? Give me a break.

Edited by 210

That has be joke, correct? It is not a requirement. Do you not take the word of a well respected member of the Rescue company?

DANGER ZONE?

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!

post-4288-1234927246.jpg

Edited by x134

And since you don't work there, it shouldn't matter.

Asking Batt 2 to confirm - sounds like you are trying to jam a guy up.

Take these photos, and any other fire scene photos as learning opportunities - not time to critique or throw shots at other FDs. If you don't like people not wearing waist straps, helmets, snapping, zipping and velcroing their coat, or some other NFPA approved widget, handle it in your own department.

Edited by FFNick

and here we go yet again, and the fire went out, how is that possible?? a member without a helmet? their hoods werent up?no reply yet from batt2? is it safe to step out of the house? how did I make thru 28 yrs without the emtbravo safety police?

HOW ABOUT EVERYBODY WORRY ABOUT THEMSELVES AND DO WHAT YOU THINK NEEDS TO BE DONE AT ANY PARTICULAR MOMENT.

I hear my ears ringing...

best advice I can give you chief; dont let anybody take your pic no good will come of it. Now about your ears were you wearing your hood when you felt this ringing????

best advice I can give you chief; dont let anybody take your pic no good will come of it. Now about your ears were you wearing your hood when you felt this ringing????

On advice from counsel I won't say lol!

I can't believe a hood is optional equipment in this day and age. It's $25.

I don't think there's a need for anyone to be hooded up in the photos I see, since everyone is hanging out on the exterior of the building more or less taking up. Most of us on here can probably agree that at this point in the game it's more then OK to drop some gear and take five.

I do feel, however, that it is a little hypocritical that nobody can say anything about Yonkers or any other Career FD because they are "aggressive" and "progressive." That's ridiculous, because I know plenty of career and volunteer departments that are aggressive and progressive - with the key objective being increased safety for all. Please... Nobody should take anything personally, and there's no reason a question should be asked with the undertone intent of stirring the pot, as I feel it was done here.

Playing the Devil's advocate here... if I was a City Councilman or someone who works for the Comp board, I may pay a little attention to comments like "hoods are optional," considering most times when YFD has a fire there's FF injuries. Who knows, those injuries could be avoided if all of the NFPA required gear is worn and worn per the manufacturer's recommendations.

A photo is worth a thousand words and is a moment in time - it does not tell the whole story, and I am sure the YFD guys went about their business as usual, putting out the fire and not getting themselves hurt or jammed up.

As far as the pics go, the one thing I took away from it was the great position TL75 had. Can't do that with some rigs, and that pic goes to show that the driver knows his rig.