Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Photounit

Structure Fire - Pawling Fire District - 660 Old Quaker Hill Rd. - 3/7/09

62 posts in this topic

Here are a few of many shots I took...... I have to be up in few hours to go back to work.... I left work to go here :blink: and it's just about time to go back.... This was a very unusual fire most notably the size of the structure, it's contents, and its thatched roof..... Yes, the roof was covered with hay......... And what does hay do....... It burns....... And it burned quite nicely here...... And the roof saws proved no match for the hay as 129K will tell you......

Here are few ..... These are nothing....... Just the first few I shot....... Bill

487043017_HCecj-X2.jpg

Pawlings Ladder had the front......

487042597_Y8Fbo-X2.jpg

A shot of the front with multiple hand-lines in operation along with Pawling and Brewster's ladder....

487052965_buitE-X2.jpg

Eye-spy....... EMT B's JHK3605 and 129K were at the scene....... Thanks for saving me some fire Dan..... ;)

That's all...... I might post some more over the next few days...... I have video too......

Edited by Photounit

Ahhhhhhh life is complete. I have been snapped by Photounit! Musta been the Poughkeepsie, Yonkers and 68-3 MOJO from the St. Patricks Day parade earlier! Boy am I glad i had the kids with me and didnt indulge!

It was funny...I was up in Pawling's bucket and thinking...man...is Bill missing a big'un...I looked down and there he was!

I have a few pics that I will add later - not much...I didnt take any while I was working..although they would have been great from the tower...

The roof sucked...it would bind the saw instantly, the slightest bit of smoke would burn your eyes and throat, it was like 9 inches thick..the master stream on the aerial would not penetrate it..I am SURE it is a fantastic insulation and very pretty, but in this instance it was 100 percent BAD.

pawling redispatched to the scene about 15 minutes ago with one engine

Was this the house with the windmill on the hill?

I think so...... I didn't see it due to the darkness (and smoke) but I was told that this box in the garage that I thought was a generator was actually the controller for their windmill turbine generator...... It was quite the piece of property from what I did see........

I think so...... I didn't see it due to the darkness (and smoke) but I was told that this box in the garage that I thought was a generator was actually the controller for their windmill turbine generator...... It was quite the piece of property from what I did see........

The windmill is way up on the hill. It is about 200 feet tall. I drive up there on my bike once in a while and this was a spectacular home. Thatched roof and all. What a shame.

Ahhhhhhh life is complete. I have been snapped by Photounit! Musta been the Poughkeepsie, Yonkers and 68-3 MOJO from the St. Patricks Day parade earlier! Boy am I glad i had the kids with me and didnt indulge!

It was funny...I was up in Pawling's bucket and thinking...man...is Bill missing a big'un...I looked down and there he was!

I have a few pics that I will add later - not much...I didnt take any while I was working..although they would have been great from the tower...

The roof sucked...it would bind the saw instantly, the slightest bit of smoke would burn your eyes and throat, it was like 9 inches thick..the master stream on the aerial would not penetrate it..I am SURE it is a fantastic insulation and very pretty, but in this instance it was 100 percent BAD.

Dan thanks for the first hand account of the roof task. I just don't understand when these type of massive homes are built or renovated (I was told this was an old cow barn?) why in the world would you not sprinkler the building, makes no sense.

Just curious how you handled this roof. It sounds as if you worked it. Did you work from a bucket? If not, what was the thatched roof applied to? Was there plywood under it or was it firing strips like the old style shakes? I used to drive past that house and being the fireman that I am I always asked myself what would I do if I pulled up to that place.

wow it big fire :o How many fire company there. look good pictuce

12 plus companies and 30 plus pieces of equipment. Great pictures, looks like they needed alot of water. Great job Boys and Girls.

Thomas

Dan thanks for the first hand account of the roof task. I just don't understand when these type of massive homes are built or renovated (I was told this was an old cow barn?) why in the world would you not sprinkler the building, makes no sense.

I did work during the renovations at this house and wondered what kind of fire load this would add to the structure (not that there was much to wonder about). That house was only renovated about 3 or 4 years ago.

That's not the only structure on the property with a thatch roof. There are a few bungalows on the back hill that have the same type of roof and one or two other houses.

I told you Bill would have some pics, good job!

Sounded & looked like you guys were busting your humps, thanks to someone being on FG 11 (repeater) I was able to hear quite a bit. Good job! Is their anything left?

I missed the initial dispatch and heard command call on the scene with a fire on the roof. I had thought that thatched roofs had been outlawed years ago. Good job to all those who worked the fire.

Looks like a jod well done. I heard 54-2 tell 911 the bulk of the fire was knocked down like 15 min after they arrived.I went out, and got home at 3am and still heard them on the scene. Was there some fire no one could see, or did it flare right back up fast once it was knocked down it didn't sound that bad from the start i only herd a few companies get called, Dover and Beekman, then I had to go out.

Edited by DOC22
spelling errors

Just curious how you handled this roof. It sounds as if you worked it. Did you work from a bucket? If not, what was the thatched roof applied to? Was there plywood under it or was it firing strips like the old style shakes? I used to drive past that house and being the fireman that I am I always asked myself what would I do if I pulled up to that place.

Make no mistake - this "house" was a mansion in every sense of the word - complete with a "moat" in the front (minus the alligators of course), a huge rear deck, and heavy timber beams inside.

I was assigned to take a chainsaw to the bucket of Pawling's truck when I got there - they had 3 members up already, two of which were experienced Past Chief's of Department. We worked off of the bucket initially attempting to cut a hole, but as mentioned, with about 8-10 inches of straw, the chainsaw bound up INSTANTLY. I don't know if there is a saw that would have cut though it. One PFD member did make the roof, and I am not gonna lie...I puckered up quite a bit when I saw him hop off the bucket! :blink:

As far as what was under it - it's hard to tell - as the fire burned through the base layer first, then the straw. At one time, an excavater removed a section and it appeared to have sheets of 2 inch thick styrofoam under it.

If anyone has any suggestion on what they may have done - I am all ears!

Edited by x129K

Thats the funny thing Mark there was a residential sprinkler system in the house. From what I understand it was activated but I would venture to guess the massive fire load above was to much for the design of the system. Plus sprinkles inside wouldn't have helped to much the fire was in the roof and burnd down into the structure.

Some of mine - again - well into the fire. I had ample time up in the bucket to get some shots, but I didnt think it to be appropriate.

post-2837-1236545372.jpg

Edited by x129K

There sure is a lot of x129 paporatzi around lately, you need a x129 ''you are the best firefighter ever'' page on face book.

We will see what we can do about that. LOL!

There sure is a lot of x129 paporatzi around lately, you need a x129 ''you are the best firefighter ever'' page on face book.

We will see what we can do about that. LOL!

I tell ya...the only thing that kept me going...perched up over the belly of the beast, the red devil himself...is WWDD? :lol:

A member of the Pawling Fire Police was there from the start taking pictures and viceo...I dont know if anyone has access to them.

A member of the Pawling Fire Police was there from the start taking pictures and viceo...I dont know if anyone has access to them.

Sounds like a task for the emtbravo road patrol to find him

i will talk to this member if its who i think it is. she always takes good photos

What happened to Photounit?? Everyone is buzzing, waiting for his shots. No one does it better......