Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SageVigiles

Meteorite May Have Struck in Westchester County

22 posts in this topic

I dont think it struck...just passed over head and broke up before it hit the ground

edit: there would be a lot of catastrophic damage if something did hit

Edited by EMSJunkie712

I dont think it struck...just passed over head and broke up before it hit the ground

Not necessarily, I remember about 10-15 years ago a small meteorite struck a parked car in some guys driveway in Peekskill. I was young but I remember it being fairly notable strange but true news at the time.

I definitely heard this. I'm on the east end of Tuckahoe Rd, near the Bronx River. My first thought was the Con Ed plant on the other side of town went up. Yonkers FD got multiple calls for an explosion, and were running all over looking for a transformer. Guess they shoulda been looking for a space rock!

There is no confirmation it struck or where. These things happen all the time,and I have never heard of anybody responding to it. I live in Orange County. I have seen 3 in the area of Chester/Monroe in the last year. One of them went directly over my head at about 1,000 feet, it was amazing. Based on it's trajectory, I am guessing it landed within 2 miles from where I live. I also saw another onw in the area of Circleville/Bulleville in December.

You'd think Dept. of Energy or some equally sketchy government agency would be all over this... the chances of finding rare elements, or even new ones, are probably pretty good in a space rock.

OK, everybody look in your back yards, if you see a nice new shiny rock where your flowers used to be (possibly glowing)---don't keep it to yourself. I wonder if my insurance covers meteorite collisions. . . :huh:

Not necessarily, I remember about 10-15 years ago a small meteorite struck a parked car in some guys driveway in Peekskill. I was young but I remember it being fairly notable strange but true news at the time.

It was 1992. A piece of it is in the Museum of Natural History. Did a number on the guys car as well.

Maybe that is why I saw so many "little green people". Oh wait, that could have been people from the Yonkers St. Paddy's Day Parade!

I don't like hearing about all these. These meteorite encounters have been happening way to much lately. ;)

I don't like hearing about all these. These meteorite encounters have been happening way to much lately. ;)

No more then usual...seems like we are just hearing about them more.

Also the car in Peekskill was owned by a woman I went to high school with not a "guy." She got more then what she paid for the car after the meteorite hit it definitely has had its share of travel as it went from museum to museum. Last I heard the person who owned it was selling it on ebay as the link to the auction was being passed around in emails. Don't know what happened to it in the end. The on-duty PD Sergeant is one of my dad's best friends and golfing partner. To hear the story about that night and the calls that came in are pretty funny no matter how many times you hear it. Some TV show did a story on it as well, one of those strange but true event type shows and I caught a re run not to long ago. Seeing some of the guys on the show who are now Detectives and Sgt's that I serve with on my tac team in their patrolman uniforms was pretty funny.

I had a meteorite land in my backyard about 20 years ago. It landed about 20-30 feet from the house and lay red-hot in a huge hole in the ground. The meteorite is about 5lbs and is resting in my house now.

Most meteorites disintegrate when entering the Earth's atmosphere. However, about 500 meteorites ranging in size from marbles to basketballs or larger do reach the surface each year. Only about 5 or 6 of these are typically recovered and made known to scientists. Most of the meteorites that are found come from Antarctica because they are much easier to find in the snow covered landscapes. It is possible to find meteorites in Westchester (just much harder).

Good luck trying to find it!

One just flew over my head heading for Mount Vernon, the $hit they have to put up with in the Vern! :blink:

Edited by PCFD ENG58

First the strange noise and meteorite, now this. My friends, the aliens have landed.....

Mystery animals spotted in Palisades

By Ben Rubin • The Journal News • March 15, 2009

PALISADES - Two neighbors in the area of Sneden's Landing say they saw one to two large dark-colored animals around their homes in recent weeks.

http://www.lohud.com/article/20090315/NEWS03/903150386

Noooooo....not the dreaded "dark animals." LOL. That's right up there with that Montauk Monster story that never got an answer and died out if I remember correctly. I don't think they ever reported what it actually was.

Noooooo....not the dreaded "dark animals." LOL. That's right up there with that Montauk Monster story that never got an answer and died out if I remember correctly. I don't think they ever reported what it actually was.

You mean the stories of "Camp Hero"?

I had a meteorite land in my backyard about 20 years ago. It landed about 20-30 feet from the house and lay red-hot in a huge hole in the ground. The meteorite is about 5lbs and is resting in my house now.

Most meteorites disintegrate when entering the Earth's atmosphere. However, about 500 meteorites ranging in size from marbles to basketballs or larger do reach the surface each year. Only about 5 or 6 of these are typically recovered and made known to scientists. Most of the meteorites that are found come from Antarctica because they are much easier to find in the snow covered landscapes. It is possible to find meteorites in Westchester (just much harder).

Good luck trying to find it!

im kind of surprised they let you keep it