Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
x129K

Collapse Rescue in Dutchess?

64 posts in this topic

Who, if anyone, IN Dutchess is trained, qualified, and equipped to deal with a building collapse with people trapped?

If no one department, who is the closest team/unit/department?

DC haz mat team is the confined space team for most of the county

Ok...but what about an actual building COLLAPSE?

Let's pick on us...since we are here.... :P

Dover gets dispatched to a report of a building collapse...people trapped...everyone goes...

Deputy Chief B) gets there and sees a 2 story brick over stick 40 x 60, store on the floor, apartments above...major structural collapse of one side, you can hear people calling for help in the rubble..

There is no fire.

WHO do we call....(dont say "everyone" either! :P )

Who, if anyone, IN Dutchess is trained, qualified, and equipped to deal with a building collapse with people trapped?

Rescue Company 3. Bronx, NY.

I would have thought the Westchester team made up of Yonkers, New Rochelle, etc. Or the technical rescue team in Orange County with Goshen and a few other departments.

Rescue Company 3. Bronx, NY.

Fudge...................really!? Wow....

In that case Chief - as we have at least a 2 hour wait time till Big Blue is 10-84, what steps can we take to "prepare" for their arrival?

OBVIOUSLY it will be hard, if not impossible to keep members out of and/or off the rubble, especially if they can hear people inside...but that is a Command situation to deal with...

Off the top of my head I am thinking stretch precautionary handlines, establish a reliable and adequate water source (rural...remember...), establish EMS triage and transport areas, obtain and establish adequate lighting rescources in preparation of prolonged operations,....................

Edited by x129K

Rockland also has a TRT

Rockland also has a TRT

Which does what? There are so many facets of Tech Rescue these days......

I am not a member, but I believe they are equiped for high angle, trench & colapse.

My question is who was called when the parking lot collapsed at the Galleria? Was a TRT called for that?

My question is who was called when the parking lot collapsed at the Galleria? Was a TRT called for that?

Ecxellent question and great point!

I know the COD for that department is a member here, hopefully he will chime in........

If I remember correctly, I do not believe that the Poughkeepsie Journal or local news media reporting anything about TRT's being called in or on stand-by. Just that the New Hamburg FD, Poughkeepsie Town PD, Mobile Life and a private heavy equipment company. Not saying there wasn't one called in, but that's how it was reported. Obviously someone from the FD involved would be the best to answer that question, as previously stated.

Mechanicstown Fire Department, Goshen Fire, & Monticello Fire Dept, are combined a collapse team..

For the galleria, It was New Hamburgh Mobile Life, Town Of Poughkeepsie, and City of Poughkeepsie with there mobile command truck, and a large heavy duty crane from Tilcon.

For the galleria, It was New Hamburgh Mobile Life, Town Of Poughkeepsie, and City of Poughkeepsie with there mobile command truck, and a large heavy duty crane from Tilcon.

and Arlington with the rescue

I do not know if they will go to dutchess but I found this on another thread:

To: All Agencies

From: John E. Jackson, Deputy Commissioner/Fire Coordinator

Re: Technical Rescue Team

Date: Sunday March 8, 2009.

Dear Chief,

It is my pleasure to announce that the County’s Special Operations Division’s Technical Rescue Team is now in service and available to respond to technical rescue emergencies The Team can respond to requests to implement a rescue, or to assist your department with equipment and trained manpower in executing a rescue. At this time our members are trained and equipped to respond to structural collapses, confined space rescues, trench collapse rescues and wilderness search events. Soon the team will be prepared to respond to swift water rescues as well.

The Team is available to an Incident Commander by making the request thru 60 control.

If you have any questions contact

Peter Pitocco, Chief of Special Operations

914-231-1689 or mailto:PAP8@westchestergov.com

DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSANGER..........DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSANGER..........DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSANGER..........I JUST DELEVER THE NEWS

I knew of Mechanicstown's structural collapse team, and that they come well regarded. As a matter of fact they were requested as a special call by East Fishkill for the building collapse in Summerlin Plaza a couple years back. They were on the road within 3-5 minutes, and were at the Newburgh Beacon bridge within a short time when they got cancelled because the victims were able to be extricated by FD on scene. Definately something to keep in mind for those dept.'s on the southern end of the county. As for the rest of the county, I would assume they would rely on the county's team, or their own devices.

Edited by EFFP411

Does a "confined space" team include collapse/trench and other aspects of technical rescue?

Isn't putting the responsibilities of two different specialties on the membership of a single part-time team an impediment to their being able to maintain a high level of proficiency in both? I mean if you train once a month and have to divide the time between confined space and haz-mat aren't you going to go a long time between repeating skills?

A very under utilized department is right here in your backyard guys......VA HUDSON VALLEY FIRE DEPARTMENT Castle Point & Montrose Campus. These guys are trained in confined space and Hazmat and are all FF's and EMT's......and they are on duty 24/7........

If I am incorrect I am sure that TDC202, Beekman and or Fireman3484 could set me straight

:rolleyes:

129 Does anyone in Fairfield County have a team? They might be closer for the Eastern part of Dutchess then Westchester or Orange County.. RN we are Haz Mat techs correct but not a building Collapse Team

Thanks TDC........ knew your guys were Haz mat techs, however I wasn't sure but did know you were all trained in confined space, but I didn't think you were a collapse team........however I still believe you and your men are very under utilzed by the communities.......

;)

I would have thought the Westchester team made up of Yonkers, New Rochelle, etc. Or the technical rescue team in Orange County with Goshen and a few other departments.

Danger you are exactly right, I would try for the teams either from Westchester or Orange County, NY... Heck given the scenario that x129 gave I would call both and even maybe get the FDNY Rescue 3 Collapse Unit rolling also... Remember, can never have enough when it comes to tech rescue and if nothing else can always return any one unit if the job is done before their arrival..

The two other places I would look toward for assistance would be into Ct. at Danbury and of course if large enough you might want to get the NYS OFPC USAR team out of Albany started down also.

The resources are out there and available, just need to summon them.

Edited by FIRECHIEF63

I'm not 100% certain that Danbury is qualified for collapse rescue, I know they just got Squad 1 which has some equipment on it for technical rescue, but I don't know the exact loadout. Nor do I know whether or not they train for collapse. CT USAR TF-1 is used on the rare occasion that somewhere in CT has a building collapse, but the majority of their resources are based out of Brainard Airport in Hartford (Not to be confused with Bradley Airport in Windsor Locks.) Thats another team made up of both paid and volunteer members.

However, for HAZMAT, I'd definitely call them, the DEMHS Region 5 Team (Torrington, Danbury, Waterbury) has a lot of equipment and a lot of personnel (Paid and Vollie.)

Maybe DFD807 or someone else from Danbury can fill us in on their collapse capabilities, because I honestly have no idea.

Edited by SageVigiles

In addition to Fairfield County for m/a to eastern Dutchess, does Columbia County have anything that could go m/a to the north?

I'm really surprised that in a county such as Dutchess, given the area, population, and resources, that there aren't several specialized teams.

Also, what about West Point or Stewart ANG Base in Orange County? Do they have teams?

In addition to Fairfield County for m/a to eastern Dutchess, does Columbia County have anything that could go m/a to the north?

I'm really surprised that in a county such as Dutchess, given the area, population, and resources, that there aren't several specialized teams.

I'm not surprised at all. Sadly it is so difficult to recruit, properly train, and retain volunteers that to expect them to add additional responsibilities above and beyond being a FF or an EMS provider is simply unrealistic. It becomes a cost/risk vs. benefit and fortunately there aren't that many incidents requiring one to make the expense (financial and personnel) worthwhile. I'm sure everyone's going to jump on me and say that everyone everywhere needs to be ready for everything all the time hence the propensity for oversized rescues dotting the landscape. But, can you actually train and maintain a team capable of performing these duties in areas such as Dutchess?

How about the State team out of Albany? How much work do they actually get?

I'm not surprised at all. Sadly it is so difficult to recruit, properly train, and retain volunteers that to expect them to add additional responsibilities above and beyond being a FF or an EMS provider is simply unrealistic. It becomes a cost/risk vs. benefit and fortunately there aren't that many incidents requiring one to make the expense (financial and personnel) worthwhile. I'm sure everyone's going to jump on me and say that everyone everywhere needs to be ready for everything all the time hence the propensity for oversized rescues dotting the landscape. But, can you actually train and maintain a team capable of performing these duties in areas such as Dutchess?

How about the State team out of Albany? How much work do they actually get?

There is nothing immediately available to us here in the NE corner of the county if I am not mistaken. I would be inclined to contact the state to assemble a crew out of Albany.

This is something that does need to be settled out - the next time I talk to Lenny I will ask him for his perspective.

I'm not surprised at all. Sadly it is so difficult to recruit, properly train, and retain volunteers that to expect them to add additional responsibilities above and beyond being a FF or an EMS provider is simply unrealistic. It becomes a cost/risk vs. benefit and fortunately there aren't that many incidents requiring one to make the expense (financial and personnel) worthwhile. I'm sure everyone's going to jump on me and say that everyone everywhere needs to be ready for everything all the time hence the propensity for oversized rescues dotting the landscape.

Yes actually in that light it is not surprising. However, they still manage to find the time, funds, and equipment for parades, shows, and picnics.

I'd be one of the last to jump on you for the last. If some people were willing to give a little and consolidate services you could do more for less and actually may end up having more.

My pet peeve is the ridiculous amount of apparatus in any given area. In my own case, Orange County Battalion 3, which is pretty much the City and Town of Newburgh, has 16 Engines, 6 Ladders, 6 Heavy Rescues, 2 Tankers, and 12 "Multi-purpose". In addition is Air Guard's 4 CFR's and doesn't include Plattekill which has a small area of the town. Yet most departments can't handle a one room and contents or an MVA w/pin without calling for m/a.

Edited by 50-65

There are. We have a spectacular county Haz Mat Team, a top notch Fire Investigation Division, and a dedicated Critical Incident Stress team, all of which are ready to respond at a moments notice to anywhere in the County.

In addition, we are blessed to have a VERY strong staff of Battalion Coordinators with MANY, MANY years of experience between them (I shudder to think of the combined years! LOL!) DC911 is one of the best equipped and trained dispactch agencies in the state, possibly even the north east.

We also have several career deparetments whose Command and membership are a great asset to the surrounding companies and will and have assisted in many ways.

While many of these "specialty" units have overlapping tasks and responsibility, the main focus of this topis was collapse rescue specifically...will the county Haz Mat team and FID be on scene? Perhaps..but I wanted to bring to light the need and/or capabilities (or lack there of) of a department, such as mine, to deal with an incident as mentioned.

As I am sure you can see by some of my topics, i like to get people thinking, get input, and of course - answer my own questions. I KNOW there are some County Cars, Chiefs, and Past Chiefs ffrom Dutchess that have read this topic, and I for one would LOVE to hear their input.

Also - let me clear - I am NOT saying we need to start a County Level Collapse Team by any means....I am looking to hear our options here in Dutchess, God forbid this actually happens. Awareness and being prepared is part of the battle!